Search Unity

[True] Each game object of the same script containing 1 static array has the same array

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by asperatology, May 27, 2015.

1. asperatology

asperatology

I put this script in different game objects scattered throughout the scene.

Code (CSharp):
    2. public class ArrayClass : MonoBehaviour {
    3.     public static int[] DummyArray = new int[10];
    4. }
    I cannot tell if DummyArray is the same for all of the game objects containing the ArrayClass script component. Is it true or false?

I mean, if I start the game, and I called on this function just once for the entire game:

Code (CSharp):
    2.     public void CalledOnceThroughoutEntireGame() {
    3.         DummyArray[0] = 10;
    4.         DummyArray[1] = 7;
    5.     }
    Does that mean all other game objects containing the ArrayClass script component will have the same array as DummyArray, and its first 2 elements will be 10 and 7 respectively?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Static means there is only one instance.

--Eric

3. asperatology

asperatology

I know there's only one instance.

But does it mean it's one unique instance for each individually different game objects?

Prefab A has DummyArray. Prefab B has DummyArray. Both prefabs have the same MonoBehaviour script. Does that mean Prefab A has a unique static instance of DummyArray, and Prefab B has a unique static instance of DummyArray? Or the static instance of DummyArray is just one globally static instance of the game, and Prefab A and Prefab B both refer to the same global static DummyArray?

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It means there's only one instance. If there was a unique instance for each object, then it would be more than one instance.

--Eric

NomadKing and Kiwasi like this.
  5. asperatology

asperatology

Ok, sounds like it's one unique global instance for the duration of the entire game. Thanks.

6. SnakeTheRipper

SnakeTheRipper

Yeah, one global instance and you can acces it from other class via ClassName.Array