Search Unity

Trick: Start and Update without Start() and Update() function

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Frenzy07, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Frenzy07

Frenzy07

Hi all. i have found some undocumented functionality in с#.
    If you call the function Main() then it is performed automatically at startup. It works with the MonoBehaviour and ScriptableObject and can also automatically run Coroutine.
    This feature allows you to create a very elegant code : :cool:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class TMain : ScriptableObject  {
    6.     IEnumerator Main () {
    7.         Debug.Log ("Start");
    8.         while(true){
    9.             Debug.Log ("Update");
    10.             yield return null;
    11.         }
    12.     }
    13. }

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Well now, that's interesting...

(Though I don't really see much point using it to re-implement existing functionality via coroutines...)

Edit:
    A little playing around of my own. A quick test shows that it's called independently of Awake and Start, with the call order such that this code...
    Code (csharp):
    1.  using UnityEngine;
    4. publicclass MainTest : MonoBehaviour {
    6. void Awake(){
    7.  Debug.Log ("Awake");
    8. }
    10. void Start(){
    11.  Debug.Log ("Start");
    12. }
    14. void Main(){
    15.  Debug.Log ("Main");
    16. }
    17. }
    ... produces this output:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Awake
    3. Main
    4. Start
    It should be noted that since this was a single test and that I can find no documentation on this whatsoever, the above can't be relied upon.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  3. Frenzy07

Frenzy07

I had exactly the same result. Main() performed between Awake() and Start()

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Results with multiple copies of the component in a scene:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Awake
    3. Awake
    4. Awake
    5. Awake
    6. Awake
    7. Main
    8. Start
    9. Main
    10. Start
    11. Main
    12. Start
    13. Main
    14. Start
    15. Main
    16. Start
    I'm not assuming anything about which of those Mains goes with which of those Starts. You could test that easily enough by naming your objects if you wanted to find out.

5. Sharp-Development

Sharp-Development

Thats quiet interesting.

Infact, first Main() of an object gets called, than Start() and OnEnable().

6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It's really odd considering the context in which the term "Main" is used in traditional programming. It's typically the entry point to a program that kicks off one or more loops. While I'm aware that some people use Start or Awake in combination with coroutines to get similar behaviour it's always struck me as a hack, not to mention being contrary to Unity's intended design where Update et. al. are where we're meant to make the guts of the magic happen.

7. Sharp-Development

Sharp-Development

Effectivly thats only up to one's code design. I personally think that using Start as a coroutine is perfeectly legit, especially in FSM's.

8. IsGreen

IsGreen

Well, ScriptableObject can't attach to GameObject.

We need instantiate it in the code(in MonoBehaviour class attached to GameObject).

For example;

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class script : MonoBehaviour{
    3. void Start(){
    5. Tmain independentScript = new Tmain();
    7. }
    9. }
    Really, this isn't a Trick, is another corroutine.

9. Sharp-Development

Sharp-Development

ScriptableObjects need to be instantiated by ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<T>(). Just sayin. ;)

v01pe_ likes this.
  10. mangax

mangax

interesting.. i was thinking about using scriptable objects in rpg-like game to store buff information.. and expire time, this loop can be handy for time checks.

(sorry this is unrelated but am curious since am using scriptableobjects and i was surprised that they can have corotines)

from performance perspective...

is it good idea, to have scriptableobjects have their own loops to detect when it expires so it removes it self from referenced player?? lets say if there are 100 active.

or, i should add these objects into a "status" List inside the player, and use for loop to check every object if it is expired, then remove/destroy it from list.

am currently using the second approach, which is also good if i want to clear player from all it's current debuffs.

but i feel using lists is annoying, and not as fun as having the buff manages it self out.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  11. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

In terms of a MonoBehaviour this isn't any more or less elegant than using Start as a coroutine.

12. lordofduct

lordofduct

Agreed.

Worse is that it's undocumented and subject to change at any moment at Unity's whim.

And also may have code that runs in an existing 'Main' method in the inherited class that isn't getting ran now that you've shadowed it with a new 'Main' method.

StarManta likes this.
  13. Frenzy07

Frenzy07

It is not Coroutine because it not required yield instruction

14. Frenzy07

Frenzy07

There is another trick - Create MonoBehaviour class and attach it to GameObject. Then change inheritance to ScriptableObject. You'll get ScriptableObject as attached Component.

I agree with you should avoid use this feature but first of all you need to know about it.
    I spent a lot of time before find this bug in my code. You can imagine this frustration when i see a function worked, but i not call it anywhere. So i hope i saved somebody nerve. :)

IsGreen likes this.
  15. lordofduct

lordofduct

Wait, why do we need to know about it?

What bug in your code?

What frustration?

How does the existence of 'Main' resolve this bug and frustration?

16. GarthSmith

GarthSmith

I feel like using these undocumented features is a great way to booby trap your code. This is great! ...if you want an unexpected surprise in Unity 5.1.7f, or some other future version.

17. Frenzy07

Frenzy07

If you assign this name to any of your methods then will get unpredictable flow of your program.
    unpredictable flow == "bug" == frustration, is not it?

18. GarthSmith

GarthSmith

Ah, yeah so don't name functions "Main" or else Unity will try to run them. Good to know!

19. Sharp-Development

Sharp-Development

Better not, since if you dont know about this being called just the same as Start() or OnEnable() you might have a hard time tracking down why the game suddenly blows up. ;)

20. Frenzy07

Frenzy07

Or maybe it's an Easter Egg from the developers?:)

21. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Not seeing the elegance.

22. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Generally speaking, having anything in a polled loop is a bad idea if you can avoid it. If you do need polled loops, batch them together (which is what it seems like you're suggesting with your last sentence there).

Smart use of your data is important here. If you make sure that all of your Buffs can be sorted based on their expiry time or something like that then you shouldn't need to loop at all - sort the list when you add to it, check the earliest item in the list, done. (As an aside, I'd still implement that as a loop... I just wouldn't expect it to iterate more than once except to catch when multiple things expire in a single frame delta.)

Well, there are designs that would allow you to have the best of both worlds. Just riffing off the top of my head, if you had a BuffTracker that kept a sorted list of all existing Buffs, each one could register itself with the tracker upon creation and get a callback upon expiry. The BuffTracker would be no slower than if each entity tracked its own Buffs, but now there's only one of them.

Bonus points: this could be used for more than just expiring the buffs. If they have internal timed effects it would be almost trivial to have this hook into callbacks for that as well.

Going further, I'd encourage figuring out a way that the Buffs can work without Update or a similar method. For instance, ApplyEffect could be called upon creation and RemoveEffect could be called upon expiry/destruction.

Combining all of that together, aside from creating/destroying Buffs and the (very simple) centralised time tracking, this would mean that you could implement a Buff system that is almost free as far as performance is concerned. (Creating and destroying the Buffs can also be negligibly cheap if you pool and reuse them...)

23. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I agree entirely. Aside from having a more old-school name, it doesn't seem to be any nicer than using Start. Actually, it's less elegant than that, because it means you have to manually call Start, and it's still using a "hack" to hook into the update loop (by which I simply mean there's a documented and expected way to get Update functionality, and this circumvents it to re-implement it its own way - adding complexity for what I see as no practical gain. I know there's a performance boost to be achieved by avoiding the invoked update call, but if that matters I'd look at a different approach entirely.).

24. IsGreen

IsGreen

Theoretically, in the documentation, that's right.

But in practice, you can instantiate a ScriptableObjec using "new".

For example:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    4. public class scriptableObject : ScriptableObject {
    6.     void OnEnable(){ Debug.Log(Time.time); }
    8. }
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    4. public class NewBehaviourScript : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     void Update(){
    8.         if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Space)) ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<scriptableObject>();
    9.         if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Return)){
    11.             scriptableObject so = new scriptableObject();
    13.         }
    15.     }
    17. }
    Anyway, I still think that this is make other coroutine as it needs to be instantiated from the code of a class type MonoBehaviour.

25. IsGreen

IsGreen

I refer to code of first post, no to ScriptableObject, that in my opinion use a ScriptableObject as corroutine.

That's right. Thanks for advice.

26. vexe

vexe

27. StarManta

StarManta

You need to know about it so that you avoid running into it by accident (quite the opposite of the OP's original assertion that it's "elegant"). It's easy to imagine someone creating a coroutine named "Main" and then getting confused and frustrated when that coroutine gets called at inappropriate times.

I actually would file this as a bug report.

angrypenguin likes this.
  28. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I think I did, back when the thread first came up. Can't hurt to do it again if it concerns you as well, though.

29. lordofduct

lordofduct

The context of that post in question to need to know about as OP frames it. As a feature that can be used. Not as a thing to be avoided.

Note the 4th line in the statement is about the 'usefulness' of the method. Not about the bug creep of the method.