Search Unity

TreesManagerSystem - easy interactable trees system (built-in support for networking libraries)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ElroyUnity, Aug 13, 2015.

1. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

TreesManagerSystem(TMS) is an easy solution for an enormous amount of interactable trees on your terrain!,

TMS can be used for both SP and MP!, we offer support for Bolt Engine,Photon, Forge and UNet and in the future we will add more!, the trees arent Photon Entities/ Bolt Entities etc, but normal GameObjects and we handle the synchorization manually to save bandwidth.

TMS is also well optimized and can easily hold more than 200k trees in a terrain.

If you have ANY questions/ concerns/ improvements or bugs please dont be shy to contact us.

Please Note: This Asset isnt just for multiplayer!, its based on SP, The MP are expansions to make your life easier with advanced syncing of trees networked. we currently offer support for Bolt Engine, Photon Networking, UNet and Forge.

Features:
    • Well documentated + 4 demo scenes ( Bolt Scene, Forge Scene, UNet scene, Photon Scene, SP and World Trees ).
    • Built-In support for BoltEngine, Photon, UNet and Forge( auth + not auth ).
    • Easy to use, optimized and clean code.
    • Can handle huge amount of trees and make them interactable ( includes a good demo script for tree cutting ).
    • Has several built in features like : Respawning trees, Returning trees to batched terrain tree if not being hit for several min, Converting GameObject trees into batched trees.
    • Responsive support.
    • AOI system that will only place colliders from a polling system around you instead of on all of the map ( save Physx issues ).
    • Have u ever had lags because all of your trees were placed as GameObjects ? well NO MORE!, the asset will batch them for you and make them interactable, Have AOI colliders and also easy network implemention!.
    • An Integer UniqueID for each tree to save bandwidth on the networking extensions.
    • The TreesManager will handle your gameplay accordingly if you are running an Auth server or an UnAuth server ( incase you are using the networking extension ).
    • A Pooling system so when the system generates colliders for the trees it will not reinstantiate and destroy every time ( very slow operations ).
    • Support for multiple terrains!, the asset will take all of the terrains in your scene and initiate the Area Of Interest on each one!.
    • Multi-Threaded - Almost nothing happens on unity thread!.
    • Convert AOI Feature - Instead of colliders, use actual trees! Allows you to have the graphics of prefab-trees with the power of activating scripts on the trees without the limitations of terrain trees!.
    Images and Videos:

Email us at : eeproductionssupp@gmail.com.

Thanks for reading and have a great day,
    Elroy.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  2. TerrainBuilder

TerrainBuilder

This is a fantastic tree manager solution, great support, easy to integrate, well optimized and 100% fully supported Bolt integration.

This system only takes a few simple steps to set up and only takes a few minutes. Really enjoyed using this product as a pre-release tester I highly recommend getting this asset if you want tree cutting solution for your game.

If you ever have a question he is fast to respond and willing to support you with any needs you have.

Highly recommended asset.

3. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thank you for your comment!

Also, if anyone needs help installing the asset/ advanced support make sure to email me and i will send you my skype account and help you personally.

4. OHG777

OHG777

Great job Elroy. Nice to see your work making it here to the asset store! Now everyone can enjoy!

tapticc likes this.
  5. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thank you :)

6. LuckyVR

LuckyVR

This might be perfect for a game I'm working on. What networking library will you add for the next update?

7. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

First of all thank you for your comment! i am happy you find this asset helpful.
    The next networking library i am going to add will be "Photon" and its actually almost done.
    i will be sending an approval request in the next several days. ( probably 2 - 3 ).

8. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

1.1 is waiting for approval!, change list :

- Better performance ( can handle 200k trees in less than 1 ms!, on a pretty bad processor )
    - Added authoritative support for Photon.
    - Replaced the Vector3 for Identification for float so that way alot of data will be saved.
    - Finally added world-objects support - have u ever had trees placed as Transforms instead of terrain trees and suffered big performance impacts? well NO MORE!, with this feature the Trees Manager will transform them all into batched terrain trees and will make them all interactable, networked and also increase your performance greatly!
    - Added more demo scenes ( for world trees, Photon ) and also updated documentation to include all the new features.

Also now the documentation is public for you guys to read through and look at the current feature list which is rapidly increasing!

Documentation : http://www.docdroid.net/orVjI1l/treesmanagerasset.pdf.html.

9. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Working on the next update, Next update will include support for unity 4.x and if you have any thing else you would like to see in it please dont be shy to tell us and we will gladly add it ! :)

10. CowardAgent

CowardAgent

I grabbed this asset the other day, this asset is very powerful! I was able to get my scene working in few min, I did have a little issue with the negative axis of the terrain but he sorted this up really quick and sent me a fix!
    The publisher is a nice guy, he is responds quickly and can even give you skype-personal support if you are having hard times.
    Would recommend this asset and waiting for the next update, the world-terrains feature looks very interesting.

11. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thank you for your kind comment.
    i fixed the issue you were talking about and it should be up in few days after the next update.

the next update should be up really soon, it just needs to be approved :).

12. John-G

John-G

Can it be used with speedtree system?

13. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

The demos themself are set up with speed tree trees. :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    John-G likes this.
  14. Deathreycg

Deathreycg

This looks very good. Can you use this plugin without bolt, in a single player game ?

15. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Absolutely !, The asset it self is set on SP on default, but i thought it would be nice to make an extension for people who want to have ready to use networking solution for their trees.

So yea! it does support SP, bolt and photon (and all the rest that will be added in the future) are just extensions :).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Deathreycg likes this.
  16. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Finally Version 1.1 got approved!

Features:

- Better performance ( can easily handle 200k trees in less than 1 ms!, on a pretty bad processor )
    - Added authoritative support for Photon.
    - Replaced the Vector3 for Identification for float so that way alot of data will be saved.
    - Finally added world-objects support - have u ever had trees placed as Transforms instead of terrain trees and suffered big performance impacts? well NO MORE!, with this feature the Trees Manager will transform them all into batched terrain trees and will make them all interactable, networked and also increase your performance greatly!
    - Added more demo scenes ( for world trees, Photon ) and also updated documentation to include all the new features.

Next Update plans: (V1.2)
    • Support for trees that their position is on the negative axis - DONE.
    • Replace UID for more accurate UniqueID and make it Int instead of float - DONE
    • Add Support for multiple terrains on 1 scene - DONE
    • Replace bolt late-joiners syncing with streamingBytes instead of using events - DONE
    • Update documentation - DONE
    • Create a new poll system
    • If you have anything you would like to see in the next version please email us to the support email and we will be sure to add it into the next update/s.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    John-G likes this.
  17. TerrainBuilder

TerrainBuilder

Hey I have a little issue with the current UID method, can u look into it? (some trees fall and some don't)

18. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yes i am fully aware of it as of now :)
    the UID fix is already in the next version and queued for approval. i also added some more cool features i will write on tommorow. i also made UID an integer instead of a float to save bandwidth and replaced the whole synchorization method into streaming instead of events ( for bolt atleast. )

John-G likes this.
  19. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Sending approval for V1.2 :).

John-G likes this.
  20. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

V1.2 has been approved!!

New features :
    • Support for trees that their position is on the negative axis.
    • Replace UID for more accurate UniqueID and make it Int instead of float
    • Add Support for multiple terrains on 1 scene
    • Replace bolt late-joiners syncing with streamingBytes instead of using events
    • Update documentation
    • Add Filtering for Auth servers and UnAuth servers.
    • Create a new poll system
    • Work on optimization the update, and reduce GC..
    Next version ( V1.3 ) is already in development and will include :

• UNet implemention - Already 90% done.
    • Identify each collider with an instance to only reset that specific one when converting a tree - DONE.
    • Forge implemention.
    • Add more improvements to the poll system - DONE.
    • Improve performance - DONE.
    • Fix distance issues and some networking issues with auth systems. - DONE.
    • Add client-side unauth management for the currently supported networking libraries - DONE.
    So yea, if you have anything else you would like to see, make sure to email us or write a comment here :).

21. Brent_Farris

Brent_Farris

Hello there @ElroyUnity !!

Please let us know if you need any help implementing this system into Forge Networking :) We will be more than happy to help! :D. I have seen someone doing tree related stuff on the chat ;) not sure if it is you. If so, then I guess we are already chatting XDD.

22. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

It is me ;), already finished implementing it, no probs about that bug report ;) ;)

Teila likes this.
  23. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

V1.4 is almost done, i plan to make it so you will be able to choose to use the asset sync method, or use your networking library syncing method. ( for example: Bolt - bolt entity, UNet - NetworkIdentity, Photon - PhotonView etc. ) that way you can do stuff that needs position syncing.

24. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

V1.3 Just got approved!, Change log :

- Added UNet implemention
    - Added Forge implemention
    - Improved performance on poll system
    - Added a feature where each tree would know what tree it belongs to so when it converts a tree it will only reset that collider instead of them all
    - Fixed range issues with the colliders
    - Fixed an issue where it wont poll new colliders when it reaches the max number
    - Re added array sorting by distance.
    - Fully re-implemented the auth and un auth filtering mechanics and made it work a lot better with un auth servers and auth servers now.
    -Fixed an issue where if a client will un-auth kill a tree it wont make the tree dead on the server and therefor it will not send that tree to late joiners.
    -Added the missing terrain data that caused errors on the demo scenes.

Teila likes this.
  25. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Anything you guys would like to see in V1.4?
    currently planned :

- Option to remove built in support for syncing and using the networking library syncing method instead ( bolt - bolt entity, photon - photon view etc ).
    - Block trees from restoring them selfs ( when respawning if enabled/ when returning back to a terrain tree ) if there is something on the death spot ( for example, building/ a player ), if there is one it will try again every time it globally check for dead trees.
    - Maybe even optimizing more.

and yea, i need more ideas :D.
    if you have any ideas make sure to tell me here in the comments, if you have any thing you would like to ask you can ask here or email me at : eeproductionssupp@gmail.com

Thanks alot !.

26. Teila

Teila

Not sure if this is beyond the scope, but how about a way to exchange a summer Speedtree with a winter Speedtree of the same species? Since you are already exchanging a tree for a fallen tree, this might actually not be too difficult to add. Although..what do I know? :)

John-G likes this.
  27. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

u mean on runtime ?
    sure thats not a problem. i can make a static variable for winter or smth, and when you trigger winter on your Enviornment system just make that variable true and it will change them for you.
    thats a good idea, i will add that on the queue for V1.4.

thank you!.

Teila and John-G like this.
  28. Teila

Teila

Wow! Thanks, Elroy. :) That will make a huge difference in our game.

29. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Anytime!

if any one else has more stuff he would like to see on the next version please comment here and tell me what it is or email me :).

Thanks.

30. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey, so i've finished the system you requested, i made all the editor for it so it also looks very nice. now the issue is that you cant really change the ones around you but you can change all of them at once. is that alright to your kind of a use?

Teila likes this.
  31. Teila

Teila

Sounds great!!! All at once is great. Can I select which trees I want to change? For example, I won't need to change the evergreens, only the deciduous so it would be nice to be able to select the trees I want changed, even if it is over the entire zone.

I have another question. :) According to your docs, you can change game object trees to work with the terrain system, if I have that correctly stated.

So, could this also happen in-game? If a player wanted to plant an orchard of apple trees on their own land, so within some sort of trigger zone, is there a way to convert those objects to work with batching during run-time? I am finding that using game objects to place fields and orchards in run-time causes lag.

Thank you for your prompt responses. I am very excited about this asset. :)

32. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yes you can !, So heres how it works, in the new version that i will be releasing soon you will have that inspector for the TreesManager :

each tree in the entire scene will be listed there, if you dont choose a prefab for a certain season then it wont switch to it. so lets say you have the evergreens then you want to place their original prefab on the summer season and leave the rest null, that way it wont change them.

Yes you can easily do that, theres a built in method for that named "ConvertWorldTreeToTerrainTree", that i just added in the new version and further more, those runtime created trees will also be season-effected.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    John-G likes this.
  33. Teila

Teila

Sorry, I did not explain that well. :)

We will have fields and orchards in our game that players can "plant". I have created them using Speedtrees (wheat, grass, trees) as "field meshes", meaning they are prefabs of a field of wheat, for example. Then when the player plants wheat, the prefab will appear with the wheat. However, at the moment, they are game objects placed on the ground in a square prefab of a group of wheat, which looks fabulous, but it lags terribly after a few fields are placed.

So, since you say you can take trees and convert them to batch so you won't have as much lag, I thought maybe we could use this to batch the wheat after it is placed by the player.

Does that make sense? lol

34. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yes it is easily possible using the method i wrote above :), also as long as you dont tag them as "Tree" they wont have any collisions applied and will be faster than a prefab method.

So yes, the answer is yes.
    altho it wont reduce the camera rendering time so if you get lags from the camera it will still stay, but i guess less you could say.

35. Teila

Teila

Thanks! Yeah, I realize the camera might still cause issues, but I can set the LOD's so they go low poly as one is further away and are then culled. Hopefully that will help. I can only try, right? :)

36. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yes :), if you have any issues contact me on the support email and i will send you my skype, or you can just contact me on PM. incase you have bought the asset already and want to work with the new version now contact me with your inovice number and i will send you the latest version :).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For this version i wont add support for built-in syncers ( photon view, Bolt entity etc ) and that will be added in the next version as it will be a very big thing to do.

Anything else you guys would like to see in the next version? Please write it down here and it will be added asap !!

Thanks,
    Elroy.

37. Teila

Teila

Thanks, Elroy! We have not purchased yet, but just because we hadn't needed it yet. But we will very soon. The fields thing is something I want to work on very soon.

This is a great asset and it opens up so much functionality. :)

38. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

No problem, and thanks alot !,
    Might do a discount soon when i figure out how :D

Teila likes this.
  39. Teila

Teila

Oops, my OTHER programmer had a question. lol

Will we be able to interact with the trees such as hang something in the tree or maybe place a platform/treehouse in the tree? Or maybe have a player climb a tree?

Would that require placing the trees as game objects and if we did that, could we have both terrain trees and game objects in the game? So that a specific tree is used for treehouses, for example, and it is placed as a game object?

Am I asking too much? :)

40. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Ask more ! the more the better :D

and yes its totally possible, so the way you would want to do that is probably just place the building as a world game object cause you cant really child it to that terrain tree and that will work frankly the same, altho it wont be attahced. so basically just do it the way you would always do it but just without childing the tree house or platform, if you will have any issues with that send me a message and i will try my best to help you break through it.

uhm yes you could do that but the asset doesnt have any built-in feature for that cause that will ruin the whole point :p altho you can do that without attaching it tbh, cause you do have a collider on the tree after all so just do it the same way you would normally do but without childing it to the tree and it will work perfectly. ( u might have an issue tho when you kill the tree as it wont be attached but you could easily just check what trees belong to that tree instance and attach them when its being converted. it shouldnt be an issue to do that. so yea if you get any issues contact me :) ), i will now also add an event for when a tree has been converted so you could do all that logic when it happens.

Elroy.

41. Teila

Teila

Great, Elroy!! Wow, I love it when you feel like a door just opened and all things are possible! lol

Thank you. :)

42. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Haha :), Anytime!!

Elroy.

43. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

So the stuff that will be done for V1.4 are :
    -Seasons support [DONE]
    -A built-in method to convert a world tree into terrain batched tree and the opposite [ DONE ].
    -Fix a bug where the tree wont restore some times cause it would hit the leaves instead of the actual tree colliders [DONE].
    -huge performance improvement : the whole converting trees methods into the pooling mechanics so now it wont re instantiate a tree all the time and destroy, its going to pull it instead !, the same as it does for colliders!. [DONE].
    -Added a feature were a tree wont respawn if there is something other than a terrain under him ( lets say someone built a house there so it wont spawn the tree on the house [ it will look weird if it will :p ] ). [DONE].
    -An example of half-transperant trees (change a material to a tree! even when he is a batched terrain tree for only 1 tree and not all of them). [Done]

Anything else before i upload?
    please tell me if you would like to see anything else :D

Also big note!
    The system will be renamed from TreesManater to ResourcesManager in few updates as the system can frankly work for anything, even for rocks!, thats why i will work on changing all colliding mechanics to work with that and change many other things so you can get maximum benefit out of the asset!.

Thanks,
    Elroy.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  44. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

V1.4 Has been sent for approval !

Change list :

-Seasons support.

-A built-in method to convert a world tree into terrain batched tree and the opposite.

-Fixed a bug where the tree wont restore some times cause it would hit the leaves instead of the actual tree colliders.

-huge performance improvement : the whole converting trees methods into the pooling mechanics so now it wont re instantiate a tree all the time and destroy, its going to pull it instead !, the same as it does for colliders!. .

-Added a feature were a tree wont respawn if there is something other than a terrain under him ( lets say someone built a house there so it wont spawn the tree on the house [ it will look weird if it will :p ] ).

-An example of half-transperant trees (change a material to a tree! even when he is a batched terrain tree for only 1 tree and not all of them).

-Fixed a bug where some times a tree collider wont be initially there when restoring a tree causing it to be without collider until he moves.

-Completely redesigned the whole TreesManager script editor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you already bought the asset and you want to get it now instead of waiting for approval make sure to email me on eeproductionssupp@gmail.com and include your Inovice number and i will send it to you :)

Elroy.

Teila likes this.
  45. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

46. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Version 1.4 is accepted!!

new features:
    -Seasons support.
    -A built-in method to convert a world tree into terrain batched tree and the opposite.
    -Fix a bug where the tree wont restore some times cause it would hit the leaves instead of the actual tree colliders.
    -huge performance improvement : the whole converting trees methods into the pooling mechanics so now it wont re instantiate a tree all the time and destroy, its going to pull it instead !, the same as it does for colliders!. .
    -Added a feature were a tree wont respawn if there is something other than a terrain under him ( lets say someone built a house there so it wont spawn the tree on the house [ it will look weird if it will :p ] ).
    -An example of half-transperant trees (change a material to a tree! even when he is a batched terrain tree for only 1 tree and not all of them).
    -Fixed a bug where some times a tree collider wont be initially there when restoring a tree causing it to be without collider until he moves.
    -Fixed the errors that the world objects example scene given, it is now 100% fixed.
    -Completely redesigned the whole TreesManager script editor.
    -Updated some out-dated parts of the documentation ( the stuff were already there i just apperantly forgot to replace the pics :p ).
    -Fixed a forge bug with the new forge version that required all prefabs to have simple networked behaviour even tho the trees didnt need them.

Hope you guys love the asset! leave a review if you do ;)
    You will absolutely like the next version, guaranteed!!
    (will post the features soon).

Elroy.

47. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Version v1.5 plans :

-A new editor for the colliders poll, this will allow you to have custom colliders other than just capsule, this will allow people to use this system for stuff like rocks interaction, and make some custom shaped trees, you will be able to also preview the collider before saving, this will also allow you to make them trigger, so you could have them interactable but you wont collide with them ( for example wheat field ).

- "Easy-Save" integration allowing you to save the dead trees on the map and have them still cut down when you restart the game.

- Add the ability to use your networking syncing instead of "TreesManager" sync system, so for example to use "PhotonView (Photon)" on trees, or "Bolt Entity (BoltNetwork)", that way you can sync the trees in custom ways that the trees manager system doesnt support.

if you guys have any more ideas and suggestions/requests make sure to write them down here :).

Elroy.

BackwoodsGaming, Teila and John-G like this.
  48. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey guys just a quick update,
    the new version is going well, a lot of stuff were re-written and it goes really well so far.
    i should be sending the version for approval this week,
    if you have anything else you want me to add to this version message me here :)

Elroy.

Teila and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  49. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey guys, sorry for the bump, but somone brought into my attention that the contact email in this thread and the one on the asset store and my personal profile on the asset store arent the same, i forgot a letter in the emails at my publisher page and the asset store page. if any of you sent an email through there and didnt get a respond i am deeply sorry as the emails were invaild. please re-send your emails with the updated contact email and i will answer them straight away!

on the other hand, i've rewrote a lot of the asset mechanics and i am close to finishing up the update, all of the networked objects will still be polled and i added some other nice features, i should be able to finish up the update in the next few days, sorry for all the wait but it will be worth it :).

current feature list for the new version (V1.5) :

-An ability to make a create and customize a custom collider for each tree prototype ( you will now be able to choose between capsule collider/ box collider, you can also costumize the height, radius, size and center of the colliders and can also choose if they will be trigger or not! ) - that way you can now make some other cool stuff other than trees like "Interactable wheat farms" or Interactable rocks!. - Done

-An ability to use your networking library syncing methods ( so lets say Bolt would be BoltEntity, Photon would be PhotonView etc. ) - 80% Done

-Easy-Save integration so you can save your current trees easily and when you re-run the game they will be saved.

-Some huge code changes that makes editing the code a lot easier and with some new built-in features ( Ability to have several pollInterfaces on an object, converting worldCor into terrainCor and the opposite, poll for each prototype, and more! )

if you have anything else you would like to see please message me here or contact me in the support email and i will try my best to add them before i release this version, also if you want to get this version without waiting for approval, email me with your Inovice number and i will send it to you once i got the version stable.

Have a great day,
    Elroy.

BackwoodsGaming, Teila and John-G like this.
  50. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

V1.5 is finally done!!!, going to update the docs now and then send it for approval, i will make sure to update the docs in the thread as well so you can take a look in the changes.

Complete changelog:

-Rewrote completely the whole un-auth module of the system so now the un-auth networking support is better than ever!
    -Added easy-save integration ( saves position, rotation, death status and so on ).
    -Added support for using your networking library syncing method ( bolt - bolt entity, photon - photonView ).
    -Added an ability to design your collider ( now you can choose the size, height, and center of the collider. you can also choose a box collider instead of a capsule. you can also choose to make them trigger now, with the box collider you can use this system for rocks as well, i will add built-in support for that in the next version and might rename the system to "ResourceManager").
    -Exposed built in method to convert terrain cordinates to world cordinates and the opposite.
    -Added an editor to preview your collider and edit it on runtime! editing colliders was never that easy ;).
    -Added tool tip to all of the variables on the editor. ( alot of people requested that ).
    -Added scripts for all networking libraries for the networking library sync support ( UNET, Bolt, Photon and forge ), to save you a lot of time.

Fixes :

-Fixed a bug where a tree would some time not poll correctly and would make it not-pollable.
    -Fixed a bug where if you would kill a tree straight away without converting it, it will start flying and wont wait for the AOI collider to disappear.
    -Fixed a bug where the TreesManager seasons editor would sometime not work ( issues with data generation ).
    -Fixed an issue when photon demo wont start because the demo player is in a subfolder.
    -Fixed a bug where the player wont be created on the photon test scene in some rare cases.
    -Fixed a bug where the tree would instantly "disappear" when converted.
    -Fixed an issue where the poll wont be created for photon because all of the methods would be called before the player has connected to a server means the "PhotonNetwork.isMasterClient" variable will always be false.

-------------------------------------

i think i forgot a thing or two but thats what i can remmember :p if you found any more bugs please be sure to tell me :)
    also if you want the version now you can email me with your inovice number and i will send it to you now and when i finish the docs i will send it to you again with the updated docs.

Thanks for reading,
    Elroy.

BackwoodsGaming and Teila like this.