Search Unity

[Tree Creator] Trees decreasing performance?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ChristianHaase, Jun 21, 2014.

1. ChristianHaase

ChristianHaase

Hello!

I've made a scene with a big terrain and in 2 areas of this terrain I need some trees, so I started to play around with the unity tree creator and came up with a good result.

The only problem now, is that I basically almost can't play this game, or run around in these areas, as the trees decrease performance drastically.

What did I do wrong?

2. ElvisAlistar

ElvisAlistar

Unity Technologies

How many trees did you place on your terrain?

3. Ecocide

Ecocide

I don't believe it... We mentioned this kind of behavior in two different threads, several months ago until now, waiting for a sign of a developer (last sign was March). Now another thread and the first answer comes from a Unity dev. Are you guys doing this on purpose?

@ ChristianHaase: Sorry, but it seems like we just have to get used to it. This kind of bug is known since version 4.3 and although the terrain is an essential piece of Unity3D software the developers don't really care. They praise themselves about version 4.5 having the most bugfixes ever but didn't care about fixing this very basic feature.

This, by the way, is one of the two or three threads about this around: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/terrain-trees-causing-slow-framerate.231931/#post-1665288

..and another one similar to this: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/max-mesh-trees-setting-broken.224212/

4. ChristianHaase

ChristianHaase

ElvisAlistair: Many :) It's supposed to be a a dense forest. I set the shadows to low resolution. That apparently helped a lot. The lag seems to be gone, and the shadows actually still looks pretty good.

5. ElvisAlistar

ElvisAlistar

Unity Technologies

I wasn't aware that this issue was discussed before on the forums (hard to keep track of everything posted here), but I can see that, on one of the threads Rattlehead mentioned, one of our QA guys replied that we reproduced this bug and it's assigned to a developer. Well, I just checked and the bug is still on our radar.

ChristianHaase, I'm glad to hear that adjusting the shadows resolution temporarily fixed the problem for you.

6. protopop

protopop