Search Unity

Traveller

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Crillst, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Crillst

Crillst

Hello!

I've been going through some unity tutorials and now it's time to make my own game.
    My first attempt will be a mobile game, it's going to be like the swing copter game but with low poly graphics and one will be steering a rocket and travell through the universe...

I've started with some graphics in blender and i'm now ready to move on to some coding in unity.
    What do you think?

Also, does anyone have a good tutorial to make a game for handling screensize on blender.png blender2.png ios-platform and android-phones ?

2. Crillst

Crillst

This week i’ve actually exported the sprites from blender and started coding in unity.
    You can’t see it on the printscreen but the rocket, clouds and background are moving.

I also made an object pooler available on github if anyone needs one:
    https://github.com/crilleengvall/UnityObjectPooler
    Instead of instatiating and destroying new GameObjects the pooler reuses already created objects.

3. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Seems cool! I don't know any tutorials on mobile games...but you could try Udemy, YouTube, and maybe other websites. Heck, Unity them self probably have a tutorial on it.

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

Very cute!

5. maroltl

maroltl

I absolutely love the graphics you made. Did you use tutorial for making this graphics? I would love to create something similar in blender for my game.

6. Crillst

Crillst

7. Crillst

Crillst

Thanks, Will check out those tutorial sources!

8. maroltl

maroltl

9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

One of your trees is floating above the ground.
    I'd also suggest your land mass is pretty small unless you plan to only show the horizon and keep the camera oriented away from pointing at the ground.

Everything else looks pleasant. Keep at it!

10. Crillst

Crillst

Thanks for noticing, i will move that tree :)
    Not sure what you mean with the small land mass?

11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

My apologies Crillst. My brain may have performed an ill advised assumption by looking at your screen shots.
    I assumed you may be showing the rocket ship taking off from the ground. The ground being the quad object with the two mountains. I'm just thinking you may want to expand the left and right side of the terrain just a little bit so it's not so tight - so you can play with camera staging (zoom level) without worrying if the terrain is wide enough.

Nothing to worry about it was just a little observation.

12. Crillst

Crillst

I understand, thanks for the tip, haven't implemented any camera staging yet, but its a good idea and probably use it later in the game!

13. Crillst

Crillst

It's friday and its time for the weekly update ! :)

Today i've added steering with touch input to the rocket. Also scorecounting and adding a particle system for the engine.
    If i add some sounds, restart, score saving and explosions i’ve got myself a minimum viable product soon.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  14. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

The lighting is gorgeous! Are you using Unity Pro, or free?

15. Crillst

Crillst

Thanks!
    Im using unity free. lighting is done in blender and exported as 2d sprites into unity.

16. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Oh. Thanks!

17. Crillst

Crillst

This week i've been fixing explosions, menu and saving highscore in the game.
    Starting to work on obstacles or finetuning the steering next week. or both :)

18. Crillst

Crillst

Last weeks update a few days to late:

Clamping the rocket so it cant travel outside the screen and therefore avoid obstacles.
    that took i while to get it working so that it won't matter what size of the screen the game is played on.

I also added a rotation to the rocket when steering

Also found a rocket sound that is free to use:
    http://www.freesound.org/people/qubodup/sounds/146770/

19. Crillst

Crillst

Hi there guys.
    Haven't posted an update for a while. I've been fixing some paperwork and doing som behind the scenes coding :)
    But it's starting to get closer to some alpha testing.
    And also been fixing with a site for the game, not finished yet but i'm going to start to post some guides/code on the blog section of it. Starting today i published a guide on alpha testing on google play:

http://honkbarkstudios.com/developer-blog/alpha-testing-on-google-play/

20. Crillst

Crillst

21. Crillst

Crillst

Long time since i last posted here. But i'm still working on the game, some weeks i do a bit more, some weeks not as much gets done. And the game idea is still changing, it probably will until i release it.

But for now i'm trying to create objects/obstacles that resides in the stratosphere.
    The stratosphere starts at 12 000 meters and ends at 45 000 meters over the earth, do you know any objects, planes or anything at all that can be found in that area?

right now i've got Fighter planes, spy/stealth planes and weather balloons.

22. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

How bout a random (once per set time) fast moving falling satellite on fire! Possibly make a sound that increases in volume - you can hear for several seconds before the satellite flies through the screen so the player can anticipate it coming.

Migrating birds?

Migrating insect swarms?

Ball lightning?

Northern lights? that would minimally effect the trajectory or speed of the ship.

:)

23. Crillst

Crillst

Sorry for the late response!
    Those are great ideas! Have modeled a flock of birds that migrate, probably adding it to the game.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  24. Crillst

Crillst

So these last few days the game has transformed into another kind of game.
    The last scene didn't become challenging and fun enough so im taking a different approach now.
    And here is the first screenshot of the game, as you can see it's still the same kind of graphics.

25. Crillst

Crillst

Ok, so i’ve been working on some programming and some building on the company under which i will release the game under.

First up the logo for the company honkbark studios:

And i’ve also created a twitter profile and a facebook page where i’ll post updates.
    Any follow to those accounts would be appreciated!
    i will follow you guys back so i can get updates on your games as well!

And for some time i’ve had a developer blog up and running at honkbarkstudios.com

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  26. Crillst

Crillst

Lately i've been working on the honkbarkstudios.com site. It will soon be updated with a new theme and more content.

But i've also been doing some coding on Friendsheep. For example a tutorial that shows up when the game is started for the first time. This is an image of the first screen from the tutorial:

27. Crillst

Crillst

28. Crillst

Crillst

Looks like mailchimp are having some trouble so the beta sign up form is not doing its job for now.

I will let you know when it's running again

29. Crillst

Crillst

30. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

You may consider starting a new wip thread - since the game has evolved into something totally different.
    Thanks for the blog post about alpha testing. Quality helpful information.

31. Crillst

Crillst

That is a very good idea @theANMATOR2b, ive created a new thread.

Glad to help out with the alpha testing!