Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Transparent/Cutout/VertexLit source?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by homer_3, Feb 9, 2012.

1. homer_3

homer_3

esco1979 likes this.
  2. Jessy

Jessy

False. Use the search function of your OS; "AlphaTest-VertexLit.shader" contains that string.

This didn't need its own thread. I didn't give you that link because you should have posted here; I gave it to you because if you had looked there, you wouldn't have needed to post at all.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. homer_3

homer_3

In what world does AlphaTest = Transparent Cutout? I had already done search my file system. Of course I saw that shader, but why would I think that file name pointed to the shader in question? I also did a deep text, case insensitive search on the word "emissive" in case the file name was something strange (like it is). Considering one of the paramaters is "Emissive Color" I would think that term would end up somewhere in the code. Turns out, it doesn't.

thelebaron, _gord0_ and esco1979 like this.
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Nice... Instead of saying something like "oh I didn't know that, thanks!", you go "WHY IS THAT NAMED THAT WAY? I DIDN'T KNOW IT AND IT DEFINITELY IS NOT MY FAULT".

http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Transparency_Sorting

5. homer_3

homer_3

The point wasn't, why wasn't it named the way I thought. The point was don't blame me for not trying when I did. Especially when the search term was incredibly unobvious. I don't post about things on forums until I've spent several hours trying to solve the problem myself 1st.

_gord0_ and esco1979 like this.
  6. WarpZone

WarpZone

Just my two cents... I tried to find the source code for the Cutout shaders and couldn't find it. So I googled it. THIS thread was the #3 search result. A link to that other thread didn't even appear on the top page. So apparently it's a good thing this page exists.

FYI when creating a custom shader I always try to make the .shader filename as close as possible to the full name of the shader in Unity. I can't imagine what you would gain by naming the file something totally different and obscure that unity users have never been exposed to, and it's simple and painless to change the name of the .shader file when you're all done developing the shader. Guess there must be internal reasons for it.

Anyway, thanks homer_3. The thread you started was the first useful result I found.

_gord0_ likes this.
  7. esco1979

esco1979

Thank you Homer_3 for making this thread. It helped me out too.

_gord0_ likes this.
  8. resequenced

resequenced

Thanks Homer_3, this also resolved my issue.

_gord0_ likes this.
  9. _gord0_

_gord0_

Thx Homer_3 :cool:

10. _gord0_

_gord0_

So yeah. At present day that link goes to a diff dl page. Do any of the listed downloads have the shader code in question or is there a different link I should be clicking on.

11. bgolus

bgolus

https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive