Search Unity

Transparency

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by raines80, Jul 30, 2014.

1. raines80

raines80

I am currently making a game that has the main character running through tubes. I was able to create a tube in Blender that has some transparency to it and it works great. I can still see the main character running through the tube and I can still see the color of the tube. The problem I am having is I want to add multiple tubes with multiple colors. I created another tube with a different set of colors, but Unity wants to use the original materials from the first tube. I have tried changing the material and adding color to it while using the transparent options, but they are way to dark and all I can see is the shadow of my character. I have been struggling with this for two days. The only thing I can come up with is using Shadders, but I am not a programmer and have no clue how to write one that works correctly. I just want to be able to keep the same transparency as the first tube I made in blender while changing the color of the tube. Any ideas? I have read through the Shader section of the Unity manual and I don't understand a word of it.

2. raines80

raines80

Okay.. I figured out a way to do it. I changed the material names of the first tube and just imported the next tube I created in Blender. I am sure there is an easier way to do this, but that is the work around I found for myself. Any information you all have would be awesome! Thank you!

3. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure about the particulars of your problem, but I doubt that writing shaders is the best solution. Have you read this article on importing Blender models and materials into Unity?

4. raines80

raines80

@daniel

Thank you for the reply. I actually did stumble across that article during my searches. It is actually a little more advanced than I need. The objects I am creating in blender are just basic cylinders with the top and bottom faces cut off that I have added a material to that I changed the color of and made transparent. That article is pretty detailed and I got lost pretty quickly. I will go over it again and see if it makes more sense to me.