Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TransformEx - Size and Position GameObjects using real units of measurement. Made with VR in mind!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DarkAkuma, May 9, 2016.

1. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

TransformEx-logo.png

Asset Store Page

---

Hello. I've been a developer in the VR community for a couple years. Through my experience and friendships with other VR developers I think have come to know what tools might be helpful to some newer developers trying start out in VR. I came up with TransformEx as one of the most essentials VR tools among the top of my list.

In VR, the scale of objects in your scenes matters a lot more than in traditional screen games. An every day item that you may see often in the real world will immediately break immersion if its to large or small in VR. Common things like doors, cups, seats, etc. My asset helps make setting the size of such objects easy.

TransformEx does that by bringing the units of measurement we use in the real world into Unity. A standard is that 1 Unity unit in world space is considered 1 meter, but that's confusing and unnatural for those of us who don't use the metric system. So TransformEx provides the ability to set both the size and the position of a GameObject using Inches/Feet among others.

TransformEx replaces the normal Transform component, but does so in a way to try and keep it as familiar looking as possible while providing access to options to set world positions and mesh size. For coders, the Transform class has been extended to allow any run time size/position changes if needed.

Of course, while I made this for VR, its not limited to VR! But I think it should be in every VR developers tool kit! =)

----------

Limited Time Offer!!!:

To help this along I'm giving away 1 free voucher in exchange for a review! First come, first serve!
    ----------

TransformEx_SS1.png

TransformEx-SS2.png

TransformEx_SS2.png

TransformEx_SS3.png

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  2. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma

This asset has been updated to v1.2.

Change Log:
    • New demo scenes.
    • Added menu options to only see the units of measurement that you want.
    • Improved the look of the Ex Transform controls.
    • Ex Position controls added to RectTransforms.
    • Added equalize button for easy equalization of the object proportions.
    EDIT:

Future Changes in v1.3:
    • Resize model import Scale Factor to achieve target size with a 1,1,1 Transform scale.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020