Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Trading Card Game Maker

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Melang, Mar 30, 2014.

?

What would you like to see in this kit:

1. lots of pre-coded spell and creature effects (ex. copy creature, double strike)

224 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. cool 3d effects, possibly a 3d background (ex. Hearthstone, MtG:DP)

147 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. optimization for mobiles

182 vote(s)
    44.3%
  4. multiplayer

260 vote(s)
    63.3%
  5. card art that you are free to use in your games

106 vote(s)
    25.8%
  6. sound effects and voices

92 vote(s)
    22.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Totals

Totals

Alright I figured this out. There was a button to make it a primary key that for some reason wasnt actually in the column edit area.

I can now create an account and it gets plugged into the database. When I go to login I get an error on line 323 of the main menu script.

FormatException: Input string was not in the correct format
    System.Int32.Parse (System.String s) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Int32.cs:629)
    MainMenu+<Login>c__Iterator10.MoveNext () (at Assets/TCG/Scripts/MainMenu.cs:323)

Sorry for all the questions at once XD. I can build websites and certain databases but I have never attempted to host one so this has been a learning experience.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. Melang

Melang

You're almost there. :) That line should return the id of the logged in user, it seems like the php script can't find it in the database.

Check that the "users" table has columns "id", "username" and "password" and that a new line gets added in there once the user has completed the registration.

3. Totals

Totals

Should that not be a varchar that might be I set it to varchar

Is there a specific UTF code I need possibly?

4. Totals

Totals

Alright I have got it working thank you so much for your help.

5. Gunhi

Gunhi

is there anyway to allow users choose abilities for cards at runtime?
    For example, some Cards are able to choose one or more ability from list before dropped on the field.

6. Melang

Melang

You mean something like Choose One cards from Hearthstone? It's on the list of mechanics to add, I'm going to add it soon.

7. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Hi Melang,

Any mobile support in the future, especially touch - if you not familiar with mobile development maybe use a touch plugin, let me know your thoughts?

Thanks

8. SpectralRook

SpectralRook

Could you recommend how I would go about changing Subtype to be multi-selectable. Example, for a Creature type, I would like to select Undead and Human as Subtypes. I'd prefer the multi-select to be an undefined limit; so I don't want new fields like Subtype1, Subtype2, etc. Note, I intend to have over 100 Subtypes. Some cards would have, maybe 8, possibly more.

Also, currently Subtype is associated with Type Creature. I would like to associate Subtype to any Type.

9. Melang

Melang

The way I see it, the main 2 things that need to be adjusted for mobiles are indeed input and also enabling the UI to support all resolutions. Now that 4.6 is in open beta, I've already started converting the UI to 4.6 UI. With the new anchor system and all, TCG Maker will support all resolutions, and once it's done, I will start testing the demo on mobiles and adding touch support etc.

This is almost done and will be there 100% in the next update. Sent you a PM btw.

10. Tuism

Tuism

Hi! New to this thread, well done on putting out something that enables people to make their own stuff! :)

I skimmed through the thread, and I've got a few questions:

1. Is this basically MTG maker? I see that a lot of customisation has been implemented and that you seem to want to eventually allow any card games to be made, but for example, specific systems of games that I know well don't seem to be makable in this framework, for example:
    > Netrunner (playing cards face-down, assigning cards in a layered way to a specific set (servers). Alternate scoring systems, influence-based deckbuilding, spending resource not on buying cards but to "pass" obstacles)
    > Thunderstone/Dominion (discarding entire hand and drawing again each turn, using cards for different things under different contexts, having a pre-setup board of cards, purchasing from board to your deck)
    > Assassin's Creed Recollection (real-time play, where a timer controls everything. Between a card being deployed and it coming into play takes 1 standard time unit [something like 5 seconds]. Takes 1 day to gain x resources [like 10 seconds]). Etc.
    > I'm interested to use this to make a digital version of my design Cartel which is currently a physical prototype, it is very different from MTG :) Would that be possible? (http://www.tuism.com/category/cartel/) Key things I'm looking for... Discarding as resource (discard x cards to pay for stuff), locking position of cards to one another to build buildings (you'll see), moving tokens around the play area to control/attack, unique cards (if player 1 has card x, and player 2 play card x, player 1's card is trashed), constant abilities (having this card on the table reduces cost of that or increases power of all that... etc)

2. Is there/would there be everything one needs to create a server where people playing your TCGmaker-made game can matchup with one another? A game-specific lobby?

3. Is this intended to be cross-platform? So can a desktop client play against an iPad client, etc?

4. Boosters purchasing system? Expansions system? System for players to pay creators in exchange for unlocking x features?

Thanks!

11. Melang

Melang

Hi Tuism, welcome to Unity forums :) I'm always happy to talk to people who know a lot of TCGs, because I indeed intend for TCG Maker to become very versatile.

Actually, at this moment Hearthstone-like rules are easier to make with TCG Maker than MtG rules. You would have to check "mana autoincrement", disable mana colors and you're good to go, only the hero weapons/armor would be missing and class card restrictions. HS "Secrets" are also implemented though not present in the demo.

Regarding popular games, some core Pokemon features are also present, like "upgrading" a creature and drawing cards at the beginning of the game not to the hand, but to a special zone. The zone system is something I'm quite proud of, any kind of a zone or a card slot can be easily created and positioned, and the game rules that deal with moving the cards between the zones will be added soon.

I can assure you it will be possible to create Netrunner with TCG Maker kit once I've finished with the visual scripting system for rules and phases. TCG Maker has only been out for 3 months and there were things I had to add (like zone system) before I could start adding the custom rules and phases, but they have been planned from the start. Also, I plan on creating a Netrunner-esque demo to illustrate the power of the new custom rules system.

Haven't played these to be honest, I will look into their rules when I have the time.

already present, both for playing cards from hand, and paying for abilities, this is also quite common in MtG

already present for enchantment and land type cards, soon to be added for creatures (for now creatures can buff too, but if the creature leaves the game, the effect stays)

This has been planned for some time and will be added very soon, probably in the next update, since I need the Effects to be able to have the "if" conditions for the custom rules system to work.

This is planned, but won't be in the next update probably. I see that the "building" system in your game is similar to the layering of ice in Netrunner. Since I'm going to use Netrunner as a base game to test my new rules system against, it will be added at the same time I implement the rules system.

Moving to adjacent slots is also planned.

As you can see from the demo, there is already a working multiplayer, but room-based. I will add matchmaking too eventually.

yes, since it uses Unity and Photon Cloud which are multiplatform solutions

I plan on boosters to be added in the next update. A better card shop will be added in one of the next updates.

Hope I didn't miss anything...

pleewpleew likes this.
  12. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hi Melang I'm wondering if I could play videos/cinematics with TCG and Unity together? I mean like putting together a cinematic in Unity then play it when a certain event occurs during a match such as summoning a character or a character performing various abilities. Is this possible although I don't see it on your to do list but think it would spice up a Card Game for players looking for something more cinematic than a traditional Card Game.

13. Exeneva

Exeneva

I think this is actually a cool idea, and one Melang might implement. Most of the effects right now are field/combat related, but I can easily see something like Upon Entering Play -> Instantiate Prefab, with the prefab having a script that controls a video.

Alexarah likes this.
  14. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Something like that would be best done by using something like the turn based battle system. While I think it would be an awesome addition It would be a bit of work adding something like that.

However the core battle functions are already done. It would take more cam and animation scritps. Hmm something for us to think about.

Alexarah likes this.
  15. Melang

Melang

Hm... do you mean a fullscreen cinematic like the ones we get before the games usually, but shorter? If not, could you provide an example of what you have in mind?

Alexarah likes this.
  16. Alexarah

Alexarah

Basically I mean brief cinematics that display the characters and their actions. The 3d models used in the cinematics would merely be based off of the characters from the cards. Perhaps using a cinematic package like the ones on the Asset Store or even using Playmaker would make this easier. So what do you think Melang? Can it be done that way?

17. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I think your looking for something like the Cut scene creator or the Dialog system. I use the Dialog system for anything like this.

@Melang take a look at Wizard 101 the game to understand what he is asking for.

Alexarah likes this.
  18. Alguerak

Alguerak

Hi Melang,

First, thank you for this fantastic kit, I have purchase it this summer for my birthday, and it's like an old dream for me.

I've got a problem since the update from v1.2 to v1.31 ; on play, the "End Turn" button is double :
    Double Button.jpg

It's maybe a newbie question (I'm a new user of Unity) but how to fix that ?

19. Alexarah

Alexarah

Yes that's just what I'm looking for is a cut scene solution! So yeah I just looked at both uSequencer and Dialog System and Dialog System definitely looks more promising in my opinion. Thanks for the good reference dreamlarp!

20. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Yes I use the Dialog system also because TonyLi has made his product much like a hub for most of the other plugins. Take a look at his third party support folder. He has done the work to make all of those Unity third party products work with his. In doing so it makes than all easyer to work with each other as long as you use his kit too.

Alexarah likes this.
  21. jcbullinger

jcbullinger

hey, i just bought TCG Maker, and im pretty impressed. It looks really cool. I do have a dumb question however. Im pretty new to unit and im trying to figure out how to change the game options like how may cards you draw at the beginning of the game. It says you can change the game mechanics by "They can be changed in MainMenu scene, Options gameObject." I found the Mainmenu Scene, opened it and found the Options object, but where do you go from there?

22. SpectralRook

SpectralRook

The TCG Maker editor is accessible from the Window menu.

23. jcbullinger

jcbullinger

Thanks!

24. Melang

Melang

Regarding cutscenes - as dreamlarp said, the Dialogue System looks like a really nice and polished solution for cutscenes, so I suggest you try it out. I looked into possible solutions for playing movie files, there is a MovieTexture for that but it's Pro only. The 3d party solutions, like this one, are paid only, and there is no clear winner among them, so I won't be adding cinematic support soon (I so wish Unity would make MovieTexture available in free...).

It is however rather easy to add cinematics yourself if you have Pro / 3d party movie player and can code a bit - you could just check for the card's name and play the according cinematic.

Hi, and thanks for purchasing TCG Maker. I've never seen this problem before. Did you make a new project and do a clean import of the new package? 1.3 had a lot of changes so I recommend you make a new project to upgrade from 1.2, instead of overwriting, etc.

Alexarah likes this.
  25. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Also I will share that with using the Dialog system you can make a mix card game quest system. This along with the cutscenes would add a new dimension to your game. I do not mind sharing this since my game is not like any other out there and this is a mini game for us.

But using the Dialog system with this kit can give you the chance to create a much more involved game. Just my 2 cents.

Alexarah likes this.
  26. jcbullinger

jcbullinger

hey, another dumb question, i added new mana colors and symbols, but i cant figure out how to get the card back drop to show up when i change the card from a colorless card to a red card. any one know how to do that?

27. Melang

Melang

Do you mean the card frame? In the MainMenu scene find a CardTemplate object, ctrl-d duplicate a frame, for example "blackFrame". Then rename it so that the text before "Frame" is exactly your new color's name, for example "redFrame". Then you can change its sprite and it will appear for the red cards in game.

28. Power777

Power777

Hey Melang,
    Whats next up for the TCG maker? Is it more updates in its current form or are you busy upgrading to Unity 4.6 version?
    Whats your thoughts on the New GUI?
    P777

29. Melang

Melang

Hi, I'm indeed in the process of converting TCG Maker to 4.6 UI. I like the new GUI *a lot*, but there are still a few bugs here and there and some features are not ready yet. Still, I believe now is a good time to start the conversion, this way it can be ready by the time 4.6 is officially released.

By the way while I'm at it, I made this list of useful 4.6 scripts which I believe everyone who converts to 4.6 UI should have (stuff like tabbing between input fields, draggable windows, etc) - so check it out. :)

pleewpleew and Alexarah like this.
  30. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hi Melang just purchased TCG Maker and Dialogue System and they are both promising. Quick question though do any of you know how would I make the cinematics I mentioned earlier work with TCG without a load of scripting as I'm inexperienced at scripting. If I remember correctly dreamlarp stated he's doing that very thing though I also noticed Melang that you say that I would merely have to call the name of a card through a script and play the desired cinematic. So Melang would this be a long script I have to make, a small one, or do I just edit one of the TCG scripts? Because I believe that I can make a smaller script without much problems although I have not scripted at all before so I can't say if I suck at it or not.

31. Melang

Melang

Thanks for purchasing TCG Maker :) First you should decide when you want to play the cinematic. Playing them during the player's turn is a bit easier (because you don't have to pause AI actions) so you probably should start with that.

For example you want to play a cinematic whenever a certain creature attacks. Find this method in card.cs:
    Code (csharp):
    1. public void IsAttacked (card Attacker)
    This method is called every time a creature is attacked, so we should just check if the attacker is a creature that has a cinematic.

At the beginning of that method do a check like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. if (Attacker.Name == "Blue Dragon")
    2. {
    3. //insert your cutscene code here
    4. }
    I don't have Dialogue System, but the documentation for it should have some guidelines on how to trigger a cutscene from code.

32. kottabos

kottabos

Hello, first off I'd like to say I am really enjoying this kit since I purchased it a few days ago. You've made quite a cool kit. But I have been having a few issues that I'm having trouble figuring out.

The first issue is with adding cards, I went to watch your video on it and those instructions seem out of date now. But nonetheless I have been able to add in multiple cards into the TCGmaker editor, though when I head into the game I can't see them in the collection. So I tried looking at the csv file and adding their numbers and they would show in the collection but I couldn't add them to my deck. Is there something I'm missing, I did try to open the demoDB like in the video but that was empty so I'm unsure where else I need to add them.

The second issue I'm having is with colourless mana. For some reason when I go play against the AI the enemy has the colourless mana subtracted correctly when playing a card but my mana never gets subtracted. So I never run out of mana and can keep placing cards. It works fine with black or white mana but the colourless never subtracts when I play a card.

And finally is with mana increments, I'm trying to do something like hearthstone and when I set it to increment it doesn't work right. First turn I'll get 1 mana, then the second turn I'll have 3 then the next turn will be 6. and it just keeps going up from there. Is this not fully implemented yet or am I doing something wrong? in the setting I choose mana doesn't reset and left the increment to the default 10 that starts with when you check the box.

Thanks in advance for any help on these issues, and thanks for the cool kit (can't wait to see what the next update brings).

33. Melang

Melang

Hi kottabos,

To start a single player offline game with a different deck, modify the deck.cs file.

There was a related bug in the current build, I've just submitted an updated version to the review, it will be up on the Asset Store soon.

Also, please check that you have "mana doesn't reset after each turn" option checked off, it might be what caused the strange mana increment behaviour.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  34. kottabos

kottabos

Thanks for the response, but when I install the hotfix files into the proper spots I get the following 2 errors

Assets/TCG/Scripts/card.cs(1414,96): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `Player.TriggerCardAbilities(int, int)' has some invalid arguments

Assets/TCG/Scripts/card.cs(1414,96): error CS1503: Argument `#2' cannot convert `System.Collections.Generic.List<int>' expression to type `int'

I put the hotfix into a new project with a fresh download of the kit.

35. Melang

Melang

check your personal messages, I've sent you an updated version of those scripts

36. Alguerak

Alguerak

Thanks Melang for your answer ; I've making a new project and do a clean import, but nothing change. I have uninstall Unity and all folders, re-install Unity and TCG Maker, and now it's all right. I don't know what's happened.

37. Melang

Melang

I think it was caused by importing the package over the old files, it's best not to do that. Anyways, I'm glad you've fixed that problem :)

38. 4EDEA

4EDEA

Hi, Melang.

First, sorry, i don't speak english very well. I hope you undertand what i wil ask to you. I have bought the asset yesterday. The version for download is the latest version or i will have to update in your site? Where is the documentation of asset? I did not find.

39. Nerdzul

Nerdzul

Heya, first I would like to join the chorus of praises about this asset, great idea Melang! Even the demo looks impressive.

I have a few questions, is it possible using TCG Maker to create multiple AI decks (with a specific AIs\strategies associated with each individual deck) and then allow the player to select what kind of opponent he would like to fight against after selecting "single player"? Like Hearstone's Naxx or Duel of the Planeswalker single player, would it be possible to link the reward system (money you earn to buy cards) with what kind of deck you have just defeated?

Finally is there a way to impose restrictions on the deckbuilding process? Like max X copies of an individual card, or only cards that fit specific criterias (restricting them by hero type for example like hearstone).

By the way sorry if my English is not always 100% clear, it is not my native language.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  40. Melang

Melang

The Asset Store version is always the latest, I don't sell TCG Maker through other sites currently.

The main documentation file is "TCG Maker User Guide.docx" in Assets\TCG\User Guide folder.

This is planned and will be added in one of the next updates.

Multiple AI decks are planned, but the difference in AI won't be added anytime soon because I have other priorities like touch support and card boosters currently. You can however code it yourself since the source code is fully open - almost all AI behaviour is in AITurn.cs script, AI's target selection is in Enemy.cs . You can ask me on Skype if you want more advice on that - my skype is melang1111

41. Nerdzul

Nerdzul

Thanks Melang, I have bought the asset yesterday and started 'tinkering' with it a bit

I was wondering, what section of the script handles custom zones that start by drawing x cards? Would it be possible to set it so that it puts into play a specific card from the deck or from the database in play? Like an hero for example. Would it be feasible for a noob that just knows the basics of C#? (hehe)

How do you do this? Is there a trigger among enchantment and lands abilities that I might have missed?

42. Melang

Melang

Yes, it's pretty easy: assuming you're using slots for Creatures Zone, assign the slots you want to put those specific cards in, to "hero slot" fields on both player and enemy. Then, somewhere at the beginning of the game, for example in IEnumerator StartGame() in GameScript.cs add:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Player.CreaturesZone.slot_to_use = GameObject.FindWithTag("Player").GetComponent<Player>().hero_slot.transform;
    3.         Player.AddCreature(playerDeck.pD.MakeCard(0)); //0 is the card with id == 0 from your database
    4.         Enemy.CreaturesZone.slot_to_use = GameObject.FindWithTag("Enemy").GetComponent<Enemy>().hero_slot.transform;
    5.         Enemy.AddCreature(playerDeck.pD.MakeCard(1, true)); //1 is the card with id == 1 from your database
    Actually, now that I think of it, there is currently no way to destroy/remove an enchantment, this is something I will be adding really soon.

pleewpleew, Nerdzul and Exeneva like this.
  43. Nerdzul

Nerdzul

Thanks again :)

I have also been playing a bit with the database and then testing the cards against the AI and I have noticed so far that some abilities work with the player, but not with the enemy, so far I have:

Can't Attack, Can't deal combat damages, When you play an XXXX creature.

I was walso wondering, would it be easy to set an AI deck that is different from the one of the player and fixed? How do you edid the starting deck for the multiplayer mode?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  44. Tasarran

Tasarran

How difficult is it to change the game mechanics?
    I'm about to start work on a game that will actually have three decks: one for each player, and a deck in the field that gets accessed under specific circumstances.
    Would this be possible with this framework?

45. Melang

Melang

Yes, it's easy to add if you know C#, since all source code is open. It would definitely take less time than coding a cards database, effects and multiplayer from scratch. I could give you some advice on where to start and which classes to modify on Skype. I'm also working on a custom rules/visual scripting system, but for now something like a third in-game deck still has to be coded manually.

Different AI and Player decks are planned, it's a much requested feature so I'll try to add them in the next update. The multiplayer starting deck and collection are assigned on new user registration and can be modified in "registration.php"

Thanks for reporting that, I'll look into it. Does that mean that if your enemy creature has "can't attack"/"can't deal damage" it can still deal damage?

46. Nerdzul

Nerdzul

Actually that's a bit weird I have made a few attempts and while 'can't attack' is always ignored by the AI and the creature is still used to attack, the 'can't deal damage' some time works, some times doesn't, but I have no idea about why is that so.

Anyway thx again for the quick reply :)

47. Melang

Melang

Ok, I've fixed this in the dev build, so the next update will have it. The AI won't try to attack with 'can't attack' / 'can't deal damage' creatures, with creatures that have 0 offense, and won't try to attack immune targets.

Exeneva likes this.
  48. nogard230

nogard230

Hi, I buy, very good.
    2 Questions:
    -How degree/lose Mana colorless on summon creature?
    -How make hero target of spell?

If somebody can help...
    thanks

49. Melang

Melang

Hi nogard230, thanks for buying TCG Maker. :)
    To use colorless costs: add some icon to the "colorless" mana type. I didn't assign it because I wasn't using colorless costs in the demo (and because I want to make mtg-style numbers instead of icons for colorless cost in the future). Then you will be able to see colorless cost of cards.

To gain colorless mana when a certain creature enters game: add an effect that triggers "When this card enters game", effect "Gain mana" and choose the amount.

There's no built-in way to do that currently, I'm in the process of reworking target types to allow for more filters while making them more manageable at the same time (no more long lists of different targets, there will be a "target card" type + filter system instead). I suggest you skip hero-only targets for now and wait for the next release which should (hopefully) be done before September 23-24.

Nerdzul likes this.
  50. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Melang any news when the next update happen?