Search Unity

Toon Explosions & Effects [ASSET] [Development]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by stanislavdol, Oct 18, 2014.

1. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Hi, folks.
    Recently I decided to make a small asset with toon explosions.
    Take a look, please:

Update 1. Fireballs and Fire effects were added
    Update 2. Attack upgrade, Broken Shield, Poison and Curse_2 (in process)

WEB DEMO
    Any comments and recommendations would be appreciated.

Best regards, Stanislav.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Look pretty good. Did you create the buttons to show the results of variable settings which can be adjusted by the user?
    It'd be nice to have a customizable color variable for each particle element. Just a suggestion.
    And maybe a couple other extra solid color shaded type fx, like stars, smoke, tweety birds,, etc.

Nice job with what you have so far.

3. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

4. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Update.
    I decided to add some other effects too.
    If you have any effects in mind, please tell me, I will do my best to add them to this small pack.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

6. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Thanks for your comment.
    Actually smoke is absolutely the same as the one used for explosions just with lower contrast. Will play with it to make it more cartoonish

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yeah that was my point just to match the style, make the pack more cohesive. It's looking good.

I asked this question previously, Did you create the buttons to show the results of public variable settings which can be adjusted by the user?
    What does the person who receives this pack see in the inspector within Unity?

8. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Well, I was thinking just about a number of prefabs.
    I tried to optimise it as much as possible, so the number of particles is really low.
    But because of this lot's of elements are combined together. So it's impossible to change the colors separately.
    If I divided all the elements, the performance on mobile devices might not be perfect.

Should I add a scaling feature?
    Shuriken particle systems are quite easy to scale without any additional scripts.

9. __twisted

__twisted

When does this effects will arrive on asset store?

10. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Well in a few days I will upload them. Approval takes 3-5 days.
    So next Tuesday-Thursday, I guess

11. __twisted

__twisted

What does this assets will cost?

12. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

I think about 5$ at the beginning for one or 2 weeks and 10$ afterwards

13. __twisted

__twisted

Sounds good. How many effects will be in the package?
    Only the one who you presented in the video in the first post or did you add some others?
    Im just curious, i'll buy it probably either if there are only these one you've presented in the videos before, otherwise too.

14. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

I added fireballs.

15. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Update

This version was uploaded to the asset store. I hope, it will be available soon.

16. __twisted

__twisted

Im looking forward to hear from you when its approved on the store :)

17. hopeful

hopeful

I don't know if you want to add to your "effects" any, but character effects you could add could include sleep, terrorized, confused, blinded, and an increase / decrease of the following general stats: accuracy, damage, defense, vitality.

18. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Thanks. Will definitely add them in the next update!

19. __twisted

__twisted

If you are currently working on character effects you could also add standard effects like:
    stunned(i think i saw it already), poisoned, slowed

im really interested in knowing how you do this effects :) but i'll proably know after purchased them.

20. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Shuriken particles + spritesheets

21. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Pack is in the store!
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/24048

22. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Working on a new update, check it out:

Update 2. Attack upgrade, Broken Shield, Poison and Curse_2

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    hopeful likes this.
  23. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Update 2 is in the store!

24. hopeful

hopeful

I was happy to see the sleep effect added. :)

Any more updates in the works?

25. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

I'm currently working on a fur&hair asset (static and dynamic). After releasing it, I will return to this asset and make a few more effects.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    hopeful likes this.
  26. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Any suggestions what's good to add?

27. hopeful

hopeful

I'm still interested in getting some character status indicators. In the asset store I see a lot of FX packs for spell type effects, but virtually nothing that covers character status indicators.

Some character status indicators that could be added - if you wish - could be AFK ("away from keyboard," which is used in multiplayer games when a player has stepped away for a moment), blinded, confused, slowed / accelerated, terrorized, accuracy increased or decreased, and damage increased or decreased. You could also make alternate forms of these effects, including for the ones you've already done (stun, sleep).

Once a spell has struck a character and the character is affected by it for a few seconds, there should be an indicator (usually above or around the head) that shows how the state of the character has been affected. Like, if the character has been stunned - and will be in a stunned state for several seconds - you have the circle of stars that can animate above the character's head during that time. Or if a spell has put a character to sleep, then the "ZZZ" status effect animation can float above them while that spell is affecting them.

I don't know how popular this idea is, but as I said it's hard to find this type of FX in the asset store.

28. TrentBost

TrentBost

Very cool!!!

29. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Get it now. I will see what I can do.
    Thanks.

30. hopeful

hopeful

One tricky bit to keep in mind is that a character can be affected by multiple states at once. So the status indicators preferably have to be capable of co-existing with one another.

Aside from being above, billboarded behind, or around the head it is fine if they are see-through effects that appear billboarded between the character and the camera, or if they travel in spirals around the character, or whatever. Nothing too complicated or artsy, I suppose - the spells themselves are supposed to be the most beautiful FX - just a clear, plain indicator of a state.

31. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Is it better if they hang near the head or slowly go up losing transparency like particles(being replaced with a new one when the old one disappears)?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  32. hopeful

hopeful

It can be done in different ways, I suppose, but a program basically has to be able to turn the state on and then off for each effect. Like if a character is hit by a blindness spell (or any other kind), depending on the strength of the spell and the defenses of the target, the state will have a different duration.

So I guess the simplest implementation would be to have a particle system on a character that is activated when that state occurs and deactivated when that state's duration has elapsed.

The difference between a healing spell and a regeneration spell, for instance, would be that the FX for the healing would have a standard duration as the healing is cast and takes effect. The character is hit by the spell and gains health points. But after casting a regeneration spell, the regeneration would be ongoing, adding a few health points every second for a duration that might vary, so a regeneration FX would have to be turned on when the regeneration starts and turned off when the spell effect expires.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015