Search Unity

[ FREE ] Hierarchy Organizer - Sort By Name in 4.5+

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by IsaiahKelly, Jun 8, 2014.

1. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

The Hierarchy Organizer

The Hierarchy Organizer allows you to quickly and easily reorganize all or just select parts of your scene hierarchy alphabetically with a single click! If your hierarchy has become a mess since upgrading to Unity 4.5, or you simply miss the old automatic sorting then this is the tool for you.

Get it on the Asset Store

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

Thanks,

Lots of my prefab structure is alphabetically organised. This feature should be by default inside the editor. :)

Cheers,

Peter.

3. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

Version 2.0 has been released.

• Replaced the window with a simple drop-down menu and hotkey shortcuts.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  4. Moonjump

Moonjump

Thank you, it is really useful.

Just one thing, could you give it a shorter name than "Hierarchy Organizer" as it takes up a lot of space on the menu bar?

5. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I've thought the name was a little too long myself :D. I wanted to name the root menu "Sort by" (like on Windows), but that wasn't going to work with the everything/selected option. However, I just realized that I can break up the names like "Sort/Everything/By name", duh!

Edit:

Version 2.1 has been released.

• Renamed menus.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    Moonjump likes this.
  6. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

Version 2.3 has been released.
    • Renamed menu again and nested it under the GameObject menu to reduce clutter even more.
    • Sorting of select objects is now automatically based on current selection.

There is also a tiny reordering issue when sorting select parent objects that I'm working to resolve.

7. isamson

isamson

Very Nice tool. Love the simplicity. However I notice that this shortcut stays active all the time.

For example, I'm typing text in a uScript window and when I press Shift+A to type in a capital A, the sorting takes effects preventing me from typing the "A".

<Edit> Even renaming a game object will cause this bug.

Could you make it run only when inside Hierarchy?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  8. isamson

isamson

Also, every time I save a scene it "imports small asset" which locks up unity for 5-10sec.

Once these 2 bugs will be addressed, this will be a very usefulf tool.

9. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

Sorry about the shortcut conflict, I totally forgot about the capitalization hotkey. I think shortcut hotkeys can only be global, so I'll probably just have to change them to something else. Originally I wanted to place this tool in the context menu inside the Hierarchy, but Unity doesn't support that right now.

This sounds like an asset import bug for Unity 4.5. My extension does not deal with anything related to asset importing, so I don't think it's that. Have you tried removing my tool to see if this still happens without it installed?

10. isamson

isamson

Removing the tool fixed the asset importing bug.

It's a shame it does this because I like the tool, but our project is getting so big that unity is sluggish and we can't afford anything that slows it down further.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  11. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

This is very strange. I can't reproduce your problem and I have no idea what could be causing it. Sorry about that. Can you tell me what other plug-ins you have installed?

I'll keep looking into this as I update the tool.

12. rah1228

rah1228

Great tool! Works fine for me, thanks alot!

IsaiahKelly likes this.
  13. guitarninja

guitarninja

Thank you very much for this.

Just what I needed.

IsaiahKelly likes this.
  14. elusive52

elusive52

hi

just to let you know, when i sort the hierarchy using your tool it works, but then as soon as i hit play, the hierarchy goes straight back to being arranged as it was, messed up again.

any way to fix this?

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the tool

Hopefully Unity 4.6 will solve the issue ?

IsaiahKelly likes this.
  16. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

You're probably experiencing the sorting bug related to prefabs. It appears that custom prefab sort orders are broken in Unity 4.5. So I'm afraid there's nothing anyone can do about it right now. Hopefully Unity will fix this soon.

17. StarHunter32

StarHunter32

Thank you for this tool. One note: you might want to disable the shortcut toggles, because it can no longer create object starting with capital A. For example, I can not have an empty object and call it "Audio". The toggle cuts it when I pres shift+A.

IsaiahKelly likes this.
  18. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

Version 3.0 has been released!
    • Added/Changed menu names and hotkeys.
    • Added new editor window ("Window/Sorting").
    • Added automatic sorting option (BETA).
    • Added "Move Up" and "move Down" commands for GameObjects.
    Yes, that issue has been brought to my attention by isamson. I've changed them for version 3.0. I tried to pick fairly obscure ones this time. So here's hoping they don't conflict with anything *fingers crossed*.

I've rewritten/restructured a lot of the code in this update. So you might want to give it to another try now to see if the problems have been resolved for you.

19. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

Version 3.1 has been released!

This is a tiny update that hopefully fixes the hotkey conflict once and for all? I should really check these things more thoroughly in the future :rolleyes:

20. masterchafe

masterchafe

Hey, for anyone just finding this problem now, I was bamboozled by this and almost downloaded this plugin, then I checked the preferences and found Unity have added an option to enable Alpha Numeric Sorting :)

21. id0

id0

Which doesn't work.

22. masterchafe

masterchafe

Really? That's odd. Here I enabled the option in the preferences which in turn gave me a button at the top of the Hierarchy pane, next to the search box, which allows switching between AlphabeticalSort and TransformSort. (Are you in windows or mac? I'm currently on a mac, and not sure if the windows version is different)

23. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

Just keep in mind that Unity's built-in feature only sorts the hierarchy view, and not the actual order of the objects. Since my tool really sorts them, you get the best of both worlds. This is because it gives you the ability to manually change the order after sorting. Which is something you can't do with the built-in option. However, most users will probably just want to go with one extreme or the other.

24. masterchafe

masterchafe

That's a nice addition actually!

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks! Great tool! Help me a lot, now it's easier to find objects in the hierarchy.

26. elopez7

elopez7

You are like the Nutella on my toast! Thank you!

IsaiahKelly likes this.
  27. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Hope this still works! If so, thanks mate :)

EDIT: No longer listed :/

28. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

@Xblade-Imperium42 I've been planning on releasing an updated version of this for some time now. Just never got around to it. I'll see what I can do but in the meantime here is the last version.

Attached Files:

EbalStudios and MrLucid72 like this.
  29. Dubz

Dubz

Just wanted to say that I had the problem of not being able to sort alphabetically. Going into preferences to enable the option to enable alphabetical sorting worked. Seems a bit nuts to not have that option immediately available! I would have thought the dev's would consider scene organization somewhat of a priority for users.

Kitamat likes this.