Search Unity

Too many method references; max is 65536

Discussion in 'Android' started by Qbit86, May 20, 2015.

1. Qbit86

Qbit86

Hi,

After adding yet another fat Android plugin the build got broken:

Code (csharp):
    1.     Error building Player: CommandInvokationFailure:
    2.         Unable to convert classes into dex format...
    3.     stderr[    
    4.     trouble writing output: Too many method references: 68573; max is 65536.
    I know about Dalvik limitations and have read related topics.

How can I solve the problem?

I need to build the game on continuous integration server, so manual exporting and editing Eclipse project does not suit me.

There are suggestions over the internet to modify ProGuard build step but I haven't succeeded with this optimization.

Probably I should strip large jars somehow, but I don't know how. The most fat are (with size in bytes):

Code (csharp):
    1.     4599100  google-play-services.jar
    2.      995624  android-support-v4.jar
    3.      925432  everyplay.jar
    4.      852733  FlurryAds.jar
    5.      687508  vunglePub.jar
    6.      552394  facebooksdk.jar
    7.      504254  gamecirclesdk.jar
    8.      246509  login-with-amazon-sdk.jar
    9.      215040  AmazonInsights-android-sdk-2.1.26.jar
    10.      147242  unity-ads.jar
    Any concrete suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

----
    Unity 4.6.5p1
    Windows 8.1 Pro

2. liortal

liortal

Do you know if ProGuard is supported straight out of Unity ?

If not, i think a Google Android project is the way to go. If you're building from a CI server, it should be fairly easy to get an APK from an Android project.

3. Qbit86

Qbit86

> Do you know if ProGuard is supported straight out of Unity ?

I don't know the details of build process neither in Unity, nor in Google Android project. I see a lot of `project.properties` files with contradictory lines:
    Code (csharp):
    1. # This file is automatically generated by Android Tools.
    2. # Do not modify this file -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE ERASED!
    3. ...
    4. # To enable ProGuard to shrink and obfuscate your code, uncomment this (available properties: sdk.dir, user.home):
    5. #proguard.config=${sdk.dir}/tools/proguard/proguard-android.txt:proguard-project.txt
    Uncommenting the last line produced no effect (still 68573 method references).

>it should be fairly easy to get an APK from an Android project.

Well, I'm neither aware of build bot settings :) It has been already set up to build working directory with Unity; some custom steps were defined, though. But automatic on-commit exporting to Google Android project, applying custom changes (patches?) to `proguard.config` and compiling .apk — it seems to be far away harder to set up and maintain.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  4. Qbit86

Qbit86

Exporting to Google Android Project also fails with the same error.

5. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

Exporting as a Google Android Project should be the way to go. If export fails for some reason please file a bug report so we can fix the issue.

6. liortal

liortal

Does the Unity build process for Android generate an intermediate project structure and then proceed to build it automatically? (when building an APK)

Or do the 2 build processes differ entirely?

7. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

They don't differ entirely but it's works the other way around. We have our internal structure which we are using to build either the APK or the Android Project. It's just the last few steps that differ.

liortal likes this.
  8. liortal

liortal

What i was getting at, is whether the "Google Project" build is guaranteed to succeed, if the APK build succeeds?

Or, in this particular case - since the dex tool fails to complete, does it mean that the Google Project build is expected to complete successfully ? (since it does not invoke dex)

9. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

yes, the "Google Project" is expected to complete successfully in this case

liortal likes this.
  10. Qbit86

Qbit86

Export fails for exactly the same reason: “Unable to convert classes into dex format... Too many method references: 68573; max is 65536.”

I can try manual temporary removing some fat jar to prevent 65K limit overflow, exporting and adding it back to generated project. Where should I add this jar? To some libs/ folder? Is it enough or I need to edit some build scripts? How can I automate this actions for letting them be performed on build server?

Is the way to go where? Should I try Android Studio or out-of-dated Eclipse plugin? What should I do next — edit ProGuard settings? How? To be honest, I even cannot figure out how to compile apk — “Build” menu in Android Studio does not help.

11. liortal

liortal

When Unity builds an APK it runs tools from the Android toolchain to produce the APK for you.
    One of these tools (Dex) fails due to a limitation in the dex format (limit on the number of methods).

In this case, it was suggested that "the way to go" (e.g: how you should solve this) is by exporting a "Google Android" project. In this process, Unity only builds a project template for you and you could then customize this before building an APK from it.

This "customization" could allow you to run tools such as ProGuard that will strip off unused code, reducing the number of methods from your final APK, for example.

I think you could use either Eclipse or Android Studio, it doesn't matter much.
    Android Studio is the newer one and is the suggested approach to use nowadays (even though i personally still keep Eclipse around as well).

One you export an android project from Unity i could help you move on with ProGuard and getting an APK.

12. Qbit86

Qbit86

It's strange that the same error appears when I try exporting, not building. I expect that all the toolchain should not be invoked, just prepared with generated intermediate project. But it looks like Unity actually runs Dex packing anyway.

Thanks for clarification! I'm already using similar workflow for building WP8 edition of our game; and my colleagues do the same for iOS via intermediate XCode project. I'm just wondering if there are any ways to keep at least Android simple :)

The main problem is that I don't have any experience in Android or Java programming (I'm .NET developer), so I'm facing with avalanche of beginner questions about toolchain and basic pipeline, not mentioning specific details like ProGuard settings.

I'd prefer using the up-to-date tools; just wondering if Unity supports recommended approach.

13. Qbit86

Qbit86

When I choose “Import project (Eclipse ADT, Gradle, etc.)” opening Android Studio, it gives the following options:
    Code (csharp):
    1. () Create project from existing source
    2. ( ) Import project from external model
    3.     () Gradle
    4.     ( ) Maven
    Which one should I prefer?

(One more “thanks” for all participants of the discussion!)

14. liortal

liortal

I think you should choose the first option.
    *If i remember correctly, Unity's project template is pretty dated (i am not using it, but i did try it in the past), so it's not using Gradle or any of the newer project structures that android uses.

15. Qbit86

Qbit86

Has anyone faced this kind of error error?
    Code (csharp):
    1. Error:ProGuard: [UnityOBBDownloader] java.io.IOException: Can't read [C:\Users\Viktor\.AndroidStudio1.2\system\compile-server\_temp_\proguard_input0.jar] (Can't process class [com/unity3d/plugin/downloader/BuildConfig.class] (Unsupported class version number [52.0] (maximum 51.0, Java 1.7)))
    Looks like incompatible versions of some tool (probably ProGuard itself) between SDK used by Unity and SDK installed with Android Studio. Can't figure out which settings are to be fixed.

16. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

@Qbit86 can you please file bug reports on these two issues. The export problem plus the incompatible class file? Most likely whoever compiled the OBB plugin used Java 8 to do so.

17. Qbit86

Qbit86

Still not convinced that this is Unity fault, more likely something is wrong with my environment settings. But, of course I can report an issue.

Plugin worked perfectly for a long time until we tried intermediate project exporting. This is official plugin, not something “home-made”: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3189

18. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

I know, that's why I would like a bugreport on it ;-) Once you have filed the two bugs, please let me know what the bug numbers are. At least for the export issue it would be nice if you could attach your project so we have a solid way of reproducing the issue.

19. Qbit86

Qbit86

I cannot attach our main project because of NDA, but I succeeded reproducing an issue in separate project, attached to the ticket: http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?699275_sc6a9suigrjnc5v8

20. Qbit86

Qbit86

21. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

Thank you!

22. Qbit86

Qbit86

Please let me know if there are some new info on these issues, “confirmed” or “wontfix”.

23. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

@Qbit86, I just got the exported project built in Android Studio after selecting this option (when I select the first one, Java 1.8, I get the same ProGuard version mismatch error). Or just make sure you select Project SDK when importing into Android Studio.

Android Studio Options.png

24. akasurreal

akasurreal

Did this never get fixed? I am running into the Too Many Method References, and assumed I could export to Google Android Project, but that still fails with the same error. :( Using 5.2.3f1. I am not sure what to do now, as I can't remove any of the jars from my project.

Edit: I was able to use a script to remove some pieces from an older google play services jar to barely get this under the 65K limit for now, but there needs to be a better solution. Link: https://medium.com/@rotxed/dex-skys-the-limit-no-65k-methods-is-28e6cb40cf71#.dsya048xb

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  25. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

@akasurreal we do have a fix for the issue (during export), it will land in the next 4.6 patch release. It is also planned for 5.2 and 5.3 patch releases.

akasurreal and Qbit86 like this.
  26. mrm83

mrm83

Getting the same error.. I just imported everyplay and boom.. dexed.

27. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

The dex fix should be available in 4.7 FINAL and 5.3.0p1.

28. siberia

siberia

Hi, Yury, when can we download the 4.7final or the 5.3.0p1 ?

29. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

30. siberia

siberia

31. mrm83

mrm83

Yup.. it is fixed in the latest build.. however the build will not work with Amazon as they add more stuff to the apk file which will run into the dex problem.

Mine just got rejected today because of that.

32. mrm83

mrm83

I added a new library and the dex issue popped up again...

33. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

@mrm83 - the fix was for exporting the project, not for building within the Editor. If you have issues with max methods when exporting the project on latest Unity versions - please let us know. Thanks!

34. Beam-Ali

Beam-Ali

Hi guys,

Also running into the dex issue while exporting -- we're still on Unity 5.2. Yury, when can we expect to see a patch release fix for this issue on 5.2?

Thanks!

35. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Hi @Beamy!

Looks like there are no more patch releases planned for 5.2 at the moment, and we missed the train with the dex fix :( Sorry for the bad news.

36. infosekr

infosekr

Any plans to have Unity strip out unused class files? Have been fighting with Android Studio for days just to successfully build an APK without any luck. Using Unity 5.3.1f1, Android Studio 1.5.1, JDK 1.8.0_66 (also tried JDK 7).

Here's my current errors if anyone has seen this before:

"
    UNEXPECTED TOP-LEVEL EXCEPTION:
    Error:com.android.dx.cf.iface.ParseException: bad class file magic (cafebabe) or version (0034.0000)
    at com.android.dx.cf.direct.DirectClassFile.parse0(DirectClassFile.java:472)
    at com.android.dx.cf.direct.DirectClassFile.parse(DirectClassFile.java:406)
    at com.android.dx.cf.direct.DirectClassFile.parseToInterfacesIfNecessary(DirectClassFile.java:388)
    at com.android.dx.cf.direct.DirectClassFile.getMagic(DirectClassFile.java:251)
    at com.android.dx.command.dexer.Main.parseClass(Main.java:764)
    at com.android.dx.command.dexer.Main.access$1500(Main.java:85)
    at com.android.dx.command.dexer.Main$ClassParserTask.call(Main.java:1684)
    at com.android.dx.command.dexer.Main.processClass(Main.java:749)
    ... 12 more
    1 error; aborting
    Error:Execution failed for task ':brainItOn:transformClassesWithDexForDebug'.
    > com.android.ide.common.process.ProcessException: org.gradle.process.internal.ExecException: Process 'command 'C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_66\bin\java.exe'' finished with non-zero exit value 1
    "

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  37. cocodrilo555

cocodrilo555

Hello Yuri, could you please detail your enviroment so we could get your results. I mean Android Studio version, JDK version, android sdk verion and if any of this are 32 bit or 64 bit, and also if you are using Mac or Windows. That could really help, because whatever i install i cannot see the "Project SDK" thing and i'm stuck in the "Unsupported class version number 52.0 maximum 51.0, Java 1.7" error. Thanks in advance.

38. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

@cocodrilo555 : I'm on Windows with all latest release (non-dev) x64 JDK, SDK, NDK and Android Studio.

I just select "Import eclipse/ADT project" in android studio, then select the main project folder (the one that is named after your app and has the main manifest and Unity libraries), and everything else is done automatically.

The dialog I mentioned before does not appear for me now as well. But you may try to configure source and target compatibility to 1.7. Or could be some proguard config issues. What is the actual error you are getting?

39. Troutmonkey

Troutmonkey

Running 5.3.3p3 and just ran into this issue after importing an extra ad provider. Is this supposed to be fixed now?

40. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Yes the "too many methods" while dexing error should be fixed. There was a number of issues with exporting, but I fixed most of them for the 5.3.4p6 release. Please let me know if you're hitting other errors while exporting. Thanks!

Qbit86 likes this.
  41. bhatiarohan156

bhatiarohan156

(0034.0000) means your project should use java 7 but your android studio is using java 8 "Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_66\bin\java.exe". Download JDK 7 and set it as your java path.
    In Android Studio goto File->Project Structure->SDK Location(select from the menu on left)->JDK Location.

This would solve it. It worked for me.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  42. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

That sounds like a bad idea. In Android Studio, you can set up the desired Java support level if you want.

43. YondernautsGames

YondernautsGames

Hi there

I just updated to 5.3.4p6 and I seem to be getting the same error:

Is the issue only fixed when building a Google Android Project?

Cheers

Qbit86 likes this.
  44. Qbit86

Qbit86

Still getting the same error in 5.3.4p6.

I've parsed Editor log to group by references count. It looks like many entries are duplicates of each other, but sum up separately:
    Code (csharp):
    1. 2029 com.google.android.gms.nearby
    2. 2025 android.support.v4
    3. 2025 android.support.v7.appcompat
    4. 2025 android.support.v7.cardview
    5. 2025 com.facebook.android
    6. 2025 net.prime31.plugins.googlecloudmessaging
    7. 2019 com.everyplay.Everyplay
    In some cases I can change `package` in third party `AndroidManifest`s to be the same, for example `com.unity3d.player`, as suggested here: https://goo.gl/vmDv8y
    But this is not solution in general.

45. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Dexing is not run only if you are exporting the project. If building in the Editor, you can get the "Too many methods" error. There's no current way to run ProGuard when building with the Editor.

46. loko08

loko08

Are there any plans to fix this?? We are using several plugins and most of our Artists constantly create builds.

Having to open an Android Studio project, compile, load and launch would really kills us right now.

47. TalhaDX

TalhaDX

I am still facing this problem on Unity 4.6.9.

As we have read above that people are facing it on even Unity 5.3.x as well. What is the solution?

48. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

@TalhaDX : What problem are you facing?

49. babaroga

babaroga

On 5.3.6 we are getting failure to compile an APK due to too many methods. The number of methods has increased (on it's own?) by migration from 5.3.3 to 5.3.6. We have spoken with middleware partners and they claim to have reduced number of methods, not increased them. Is this a known issue?

50. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies