Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Toast Platforming Game, need advice

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by WildeTom, Aug 21, 2014.

1. WildeTom

WildeTom

Hey, I need some opinions and also a bit of programming help as I've just started off.

The games going to be based around a piece of toast travelling across the land to get somewhere (I'll think more on the story when the core mechanics are solid). So the main character is a piece of toast, I've chose to add arms and legs instead of having a single shape as the body so it dosen't look silly.

Again I've just started out attempting to make games so I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to go 2D or 3D any advice on camera positioning would be helpful aswell. I'm not sure which dimension or the capabilities of Unity in this matter, as you can imagine its quite hard imagining how to make a piece of toast to look normal (not sure if thats the right word) while moving. I'm assuming the camera could be tilted on an angle and follow the player but again I'm new any advice would be extremely helpful.

For the main character and pretty much any character I decide to add I'm guessing I need a modelling tool (prefrebly free) which is easy to intergrate into unity preferably. Any tutorials or a point in the right direction of what I need to do in regards of characters bodys (modelling?), animating in unity and what ever else I may need but don't know about would be a great help.

Thanks for whoever makes it this far I know I'm very new at this and I'm kinda jumping into it but the best way to learn is by doing it so I might aswell.

2. AthosK

AthosK

Blender is free and has everything you would need, the learning curve is also pretty smooth and there are thousands of tutorials out there. There's also blendswap.com with community assets that are free and most of them are CC-0 or CC-BY

3. zbig

zbig

Blender is the way to go if you choose 3D.
    I would suggest Inkscape if you plant to go 2D. You can do all the creations as vector and turn them into sprites easily if your happy with results. IMHO good 2D graphics and animations can bring more to the game then complex 3D stuff.
    Check the 2D platform demo project from unity and you will see what I mean.

Whichever way you choose, you will learn a lot with unity, as it allows for quick results. Good luck on the way.