Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TIE - A game about depression (Full Day)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TonyNowak, Sep 23, 2013.

1. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Thanks Nomad! I wanted to add a few more eventual smaller interactions to the house scene such as turning a sink on and off, opening the fridge, etc. The flicking lights is actually planned. I'll take into consideration what you said about the doors. For the feet clipping on the roof, I tried setting the texture mode to clamp, and it made my character really tall, definitely something to do with the clamp settings and the camera set-up.
    The transitions boundaries were off, uploaded the fix. ;)

Also want to upload the new music manager I've been writing, so instead of looping a song, it'll go through the playlist we have planned out for the game.

2. NomadKing

NomadKing

Without seeing the specifics of how your character is set up, it's hard to know why its misbehaving, but I'm sure if you threw up a post on the support forums someone would know what was going on :)

3. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Check my post history I have, at first I thought it was an alpha issue. I have a script that handles animations and I notice every frame he jitter's a tad, I found that at a far enough away camera angle, it wouldn't jitter. I was led to believe it was a texture clamping issue, so I tried both settings and when clamped the character is stretched so far up you can only see his legs. I have no clue how too fix it.

4. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Even though there is very little in it so far, I actually really enjoyed the webplayer you have up. This game is cool. Its unique. To me it feels like one of those games that feels alive. I wanna see where you go with this.
    Also, I like how you just put a gui button at the top right to enable/disable full screen mode. Pretty good thinking in design.

Its a nice game and a nice idea.
    So good job Tony. :)

5. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Thank you for the feedback.
    Yeah everyone has been telling me it's too early for play testing, but I'm against that. It's never too early, and it'll get better I guarantee it.

6. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Have a depressing valentines day!

$aFM7mql.jpg

Origxn likes this.
  7. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Sorry I've been kind of quiet as of late, a lot of things in my personal life have come up. However, we are making progress and cannot wait too show you what we've been working on, including a new song (one that took the efforts of not only Jeremy, but a vocalist and a guitarist.) But for now, I've been revamping the morning map...

$EGZUIkb.png

The foliage is all layered so it appears in front of and behind the player. It's still a pretty heavy wip, I plan on adding in a light-post on the far right of the map by the bus station, adding in trees and definatley working on the foreground and city background.

You can play it here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13822695/TIE v1.05/TIE v1.05.html

Also noticed a game on the forums recently, this game has been mistaken for TIE or a newer version of TIE (on both the forums and my inbox), rest assured, this is the only TIE. You can check it out here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/23...-game-series-about-surviving-the-minds-health

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  8. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Nice to see an update on this project :D Looking great as always ;) I think it would be cool to have some animation outside. Maybe some birds flying over in the distance?

This is definitely one of my favorite WIP projects to follow :D Looking at other pixel art game motivates me to work on my own for some reason, hehe ^^'

9. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

I actually want to go in and animate the grass and whatnot! Once I add trees in (harder than you think with pixels lol) I'll be bringing back the leaf particles, I also have some plans for them there clouds. :D

10. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  11. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

$vnQvn8a.png

Coming a lot sooner than you think.​

12. MeatAnalogue

MeatAnalogue

For those who are wondering, I changed my name from 'Vegetarian Meat' (I'll still go by that name but anything I release from hereon will be under this name) basically because some disbanded band from 20 years ago has the name, and their 20 year old album is polluting google searches for my music and work. There's also the fact that 'Analog / Digital' and yet most of my songs are digital. I dunno, there's something about it. To me it means something that is trying with everything it is to be something that it is inherently not. Anyways, keep a watchful ear out for that soundtrack ;)

13. carking1996

carking1996

Who are you?

14. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

That would be the musician for TIE. :)

15. carking1996

carking1996

Aah, great.

16. CarterG81

CarterG81

This is pretty awesome.

It has a great feel to it. The art, the sound, the animation, the style, the theme, the mood, the interface. It's all very well done.

Great idea on holding down a button to hear his thoughts. That really lets you feel for the character.

A great game. A great idea. Can't wait until it is finished so I can play it through!

17. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

The music and the atmosphere are awesome :D I'll watch out for updates.

18. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Thanks for the feedback guys. There'll certainly be more updates. :D

19. Peter Ples

Peter Ples

Hm.. I want to try but it seems to not recognize my pressing space to start?

[edit] nevermind, just went back to the page and it worked - I swear though, I had clicked in the window to make sure it was active and everything. I dont know what happened :p

[edit again] Is there nothing past the bus stop yet? I waited till the sun reached the top of the sign. Then I went over and danced with the lady (press left and right consecutively for some sweet moves). Just something about the way she said hello to me, I know she's the one.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  20. NomadKing

NomadKing

Invite her back to your house and show her your working shower... ladies love it when you have hot and cold running water!

21. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

^ Pure class I love it.

@Peter_Ples +1 for awesome avatar to follow an awesome comment.

Maybe you fine gentleman can take her on a bus ride too the city in the next build.

22. MeatAnalogue

MeatAnalogue

They call me Jeremy back home.

23. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

The webplayer links was broken. Said page couldn't download data file or something? Any ideas?

24. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Works fine for me, must be a problem on your end.

25. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Of course now it works :)

26. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Ugh, yeah, Dropbox is finicky sometimes.

27. GeneBox

GeneBox

I love everything about it. Great job.

28. jameos

jameos

awesome work!

29. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

$W94ZLyb.png

Since everyone is waiting so patiently for the finished soundtrack, you guy's can see the new level and wait patiently for a new build. :D

30. NomadKing

NomadKing

Oh nice, now we can take that pretty lady for a train ride too! :)

31. MeatAnalogue

MeatAnalogue

32. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Shiny new build with mouse interaction and the new bus map coming soon! And I'd really recommend that soundtrack. ;)

33. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

So sorry the build wasn't exactly out 'soon'. I had a few issues building to webplayer that rendered the game unplayable. But enough of that, this build is pretty big as mouse support has been implemented (although not completely, also huge shout out to David Debnar for help with this). Clicking on anything from the picture on the wall in the bedroom to the mailbox outside will give feedback. While your outside you can wait for bus to pull up and take you to work (although technically the work part of that isn't done), so prepare for a long ride.

$XuQM5Wm.png

Controls:

A, D - Movement

LMB, E - Interact

Z, X - Cycle Songs

(use E to board the bus and leave levels)

The official soundtrack is present in this build, and you can check it out on Bandcamp if you haven't already. We'd love to hear any comments or feedback you guy's might have for us. Enjoy!

EDIT: My image isn't showing for some reason so here: http://i.imgur.com/fnZPbsr.png

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  34. virror

virror

Looking great! Image is working fine for me : )

35. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

The new playable version is nice. I want more!!! :D

36. NomadKing

NomadKing

I like the bus, the depth difference between the seats was a nice touch :)

One minor bug I did notice is you have some text overlap issues when an Interact message is up and something is click at the same time (stand at the shower and click the toilet)

37. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Thanks for the feedback guys, yeah so mouse interaction is pretty early at the moment, but this clipping and other small bugs with it (interacting with multiple objects at once, interacting with objects out of range, etc.) will be fixed. The bus animation is a tad wonky on instantiate, and the sound is glitched (but we are working on new sounds). Stay tuned!

38. matheusrma

matheusrma

Beautiful work of art

39. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  40. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

More foliage and groundcover, improved lighting, and new effects. Good morning.​

Chemaxmax likes this.
  41. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

42. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

43. Kilrath81

Kilrath81

the few things i noticed which im sure you are already are aware is teh wierd being able to walk off out of the areas. needs a collider at either end to stop that, and the particles at least the shower and window dust motes are seen over the player. where the dust motes could be on either side of the player the shower water runs behind you but you see it in front of you.

i absolutely love the music, i wish i could get a musician to make music like that for my game. And the game seems like it could be quite artistic when its done. Are you supposed to be able to leave the bus?

44. Fluzing

Fluzing

Could you update the link on the first post? Is not encouraging to try if you have to search all the posts for the correct link.

45. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

@kilrath, yeah collision and my player scripts don't get along, I'll be fixing this in the next build. The particles I won't be changing.

@Fluzing, should be updated to the latest, I haven't been putting out any new builds recently.

46. Origxn

Origxn

you should make him get so depressed he starts shooting heroin. Ooh and he can take acid and hallucinate. And then get in these weird dream states where he's walking in the pouring rain, and might see a ghost of a woman that signifies his wife that died previously which is why the poor lonely guy is so depressed:oops:. jk but I would add some really depressing s*** like that hehe

TonyNowak likes this.
  47. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

There's a few things we plan on putting our main character through. ;)

48. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Cool! :)

49. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Office long-shot. Still a work in progress, feedback appreciated. :)

NomadKing and Chemaxmax like this.
  50. Fluzing

Fluzing

Looks very nice. However, that office is missing a mandatory fire extinguisher, a bubbling water cooler and a low humming copy machine.

TonyNowak likes this.