Search Unity

Third Person Controller - Third Person, AI, Multiplayer, Mobile Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opsive

opsive

It does not, and it would probably be a lot of work to get it to be able to so I do not plan on having an integration with that asset. When I was designing the combo system I did use that asset as a reference though (just the screenshots, I don't actually own it). If there's a feature from it that you'd like to see with the Third Person Controller it'll probably be easier to just add it independently.

2. lazygunn

lazygunn

Got you, thanks for your answer

3. drakekaz

drakekaz

Is there a way to have different footstep sounds depending on what you are walking on? Like wood, dirt, metal ext.

4. opsive

opsive

Not with the current version. The next version of UFPS adds a Surface Manager and it can do this (plus a ton more). Since this UFPS system is so powerful I am holding off on adding it until I integrate the two codebases. No reason to spend time on something when I know that it'll be going away soon :)

5. drakekaz

drakekaz

Okay cool. Thanks for the heads up!

6. julianr

julianr

Hi Justin. How do you get the additive Hit animations working? I've added the Damage Visualization to the Rigid Body Character Controller. Placed it high on the Abilities list and no animation plays. I do have the animation set in the additive list. Does it work with melee from AI giving your player damage, or only projectiles?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  7. opsive

opsive

It'll work for any object that deals damage. Does it try to transition to the damage state in the additive layer? You can quickly determine this by enabling "Debug State Changes" on the Animator Monitor. The warehouse demo has an example - does it work for you in that scene?

8. julianr

julianr

yeah, it works on the Warehouse demo. I checked that to make sure. The player takes damage, with the damage indicators working. I'll check the Debug, cheers.

9. opsive

opsive

The 1.3 beta started last week and we've gotten lots of feedback - thanks to everybody who has tried it out! Things are looking good for a 1.3 release next week.

In version 1.3 we've added a new character - Blitz.

Blitz.PNG

Blitz will provide an example of a Third Person Controller generic character. As soon you get on Blitz controls will be changed so Blitz moves instead of Dom. Blitz also shows an example of using multiple colliders for a single character:

BlitzColliders.PNG

Deckard_89, Teila, TonyLi and 5 others like this.
  10. julianr

julianr

Awesome! don't forget to test the new Inventory Pro integration. I'm testing the Puppet Master integration on 1.3 Beta right now.

11. Teila

Teila

Wow! Fantastic! You just saved us a lot of work! Love, LOVE, the horse controller. :)

julianr and opsive like this.
  12. opsive

opsive

Awesome! Yeah there is a new "Four Legged" movement type and it works really well for the generic models. Before we release 1.3 we're going to post a web demo of the clean scene so we can get as many eyes on it as we can.

13. smada-luap

smada-luap

Could this also work with other 4-legged animals such as dogs, etc. ? Could be interesting to tie this into Behaviour Designer (which I hope to get soon :D ) and have packs of wild dogs roaming the land :)

14. opsive

opsive

It definitely can. This would go great with the Behavior Designer Wander task for roaming wild dogs.

docsavage and julianr like this.
  15. Teila

Teila

Sounds great. :) Hopefully it will work with the myriad of animated horse assets out there. :) I think I must have all of them. lol

16. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

To me, 4 legged equals Dragons and Dinosaurs and Reptiles and Wild Beasties... oh my

17. drewradley

drewradley

All the best ones are 2-legged!

TheLetterS and 99thmonkey like this.
  18. opsive

opsive

Version 1.3 also adds a new item category - Magic. With this item you'll be able to cast spells. By default the spell will only apply a damage, but you can receive a callback to apply any game specific event. In version 1.3 we are including two magic items:

Fire Stream
    FireStream.PNG

Shockwave
    Shockwave.PNG

19. docsavage

docsavage

Better than magic - that's an Iron Man!

hopeful and opsive like this.
  20. magique

magique

Great addition. This is something I was going to have to add myself and had already done a hackish version of. Having a proper, built-in version is very much welcome.

21. drewradley

drewradley

I know it's been a little while but would you mind sending me this as well?

22. atmosfearteam

atmosfearteam

It seems like this would be a good thing to add as a feature. I'm sure many people would find it useful. :)

23. opsive

opsive

Sent!
    It has been added to 1.3 :)

I'll build a new web player version of the clean scene later today and post it here. It would be great if everybody can try it out to see if they notice anything wrong. Besides that we're looking great for a release within a few days.

drewradley, atmosfearteam and Arganth like this.
  24. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Looking forward to it.

@Teila

>>Hopefully it will work with the myriad of animated horse assets out there.<<

Definitely agree.

25. opsive

opsive

It should work. You may need to create a new horse-specific ability in order to get the unique animations to work (such as a horse-specific jump or swim), but since the horse is a regular Third Person Controller character you can follow the same ability how-to. The horse animator controller that we are shipping with 1.3 uses a single layer with a single blend tree:
    HorseAnimator.PNG

26. opsive

opsive

27. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

NOTE: Using FireFox 46.0 for browser and Unity webplayer 5.3.4f (on Windows 8.1).

The normal mode I picked up the sword and then walked towards the horse with sword in hand. When attempting to have the character mount the horse it gets on sideways as if hanging on to the side of cable car or the outside of a train.

Also the horse does not go up ramps, over anything other than flat terrain. I tried going up the stairs for example and the ramp and horse just stopped.

28. opsive

opsive

Thanks for trying it out!

So you picked up the katana and then mounted the horse from the left side? Does it always mount sideways?

Since the horse doesn't have a swimming animation we prevented the horse from going up to the second level by setting a slope limit. Maybe we should instead let you go up the stairs and drown in the pool?

29. drewradley

drewradley

Nor can the horse ride the elevator.

30. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

I have not been able to repeat it. It was appeared as if character thought the horse was oriented in a different fashion and mounted where "the system" thought the horse was. When the character dismounted it was right in the middle of the horse.

Yes. I would expect most people would expect the horse to walk up the ramp, and over the little hills. Any plans for the ability to using weapons while riding the horse?

NOTE: You could always add little sign to the scene that says "keep all pets out of the pool" :)

I was planning on using Horse Animset Pro for the horse stuff.

Malbers likes this.
  31. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

With Flight Controllers (e.g. HOTAS) this could work really well. For example you could use your rudder pedals for steering the horse and then just joystick for controlling your character on the horse (including weapons). Then with the throttle controller you could control how fast you want your horse to go.

32. atmosfearteam

atmosfearteam

I have to agree with that. I think a new user not knowing about the slope limit would consider it a bug. Might end up with a lot of false bug reports that way I guess. :p

Maybe just make the water layer so the horse can't pass through it. So it will just walk on top of it. Then name the horse Jesus. :p

Yeah I think being able to do things while on the horse would be cool in general. Like I was thinking before it would be cool if you could activate the elevator without getting off the horse. But I guess that's something people who are using this asset can do on their own if they really want it.

Overall I think this is going to be a great update. Thanks Opsive!

Malbers likes this.
  33. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Agreed.

We will probably need to create a number of "actions" to handle all of these cases when mounted on a horse. I didn't even think about elevator issue too.

Absolutely.

34. opsive

opsive

Awesome feedback. I'm looking into why Dom doesn't mount correctly all of the time on Blitz.

You've convinced me - Blitz no longer has a slope limit and can now go up stairs :)

BlitzStairs.PNG

I'll post another web demo shortly.

Teila likes this.
  35. opsive

opsive

I do think that it would be cool to attack while on the horse. With the new item animation system you'd be able to but we just want to get this update out. I have finished on the documentation for this new item animation system and you can see it at:

http://opsive.com/assets/ThirdPersonController/documentation.php?id=118

TeagansDad likes this.
  36. TonyLi

TonyLi

Could you make Dom lean forward in the saddle on inclines and backward on declines? It would add a lot to the realism.

Deckard_89 and hopeful like this.
  37. opsive

opsive

I see what you're doing.. @TonyLi and I have a challenge going on to see who can get their next asset out first. Both of us have been talking about our next asset for months but have been instead been focused on updates to existing assets. The more that we add to this Third Person Controller update, the more time @TonyLi has to get Quest Machine out and win the challenge :)

All kidding aside, yes, that's a great suggestion. I'll see if we can get it in this update, if not then definitely the next.

Tinjaw, Deckard_89, Teila and 2 others like this.
  38. julianr

julianr

lean more forwards when galloping :)

opsive and hopeful like this.
  39. hopeful

hopeful

My intuition says Tony has an epiphany and gets QM into beta just after the second week in May and releases in June. You're going to have to step it up, Justin, but you can still win! ;)

Teila and opsive like this.
  40. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Maybe you will have to turn it into a real contest to see who can guess the correct release dates for both of your new products? :)

Teila likes this.
  41. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

I like the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid sequence when the horses come jumping out of the train car to begin the chase ...

That is what I expect Blitz to do also.

42. opsive

opsive

Now you're just getting complicated ;) Actually if we implement the leaning while on a slope it should be pretty easy to lean while galloping as well.. I know which animator parameter to use, just need the animations for the blend tree.
    If that's the case Tony is going to win :)
    At this point I don't even want to guess. We said that we were working on the Deathmatch Kit at Unite in September last year. Fast forward six months and both Third Person Controller and Behavior Designer have new updates but we aren't even far enough to create a WIP thread for deathmatch yet. I've been working on it off and on, but Sarah has pretty much completely been focused on updates since then. I just looked at the Deathmatch Kit repository and my first commit was on August 8th.
    Oh, no problem at all. I'll have it done tomorrow ;)

Teila and julianr like this.
  43. drewradley

drewradley

Eventually, it'd be awesome if you make Stamina a universal attribute that can be used for more than running such as jumping,aiming, crouching, even spell casting (unless you have a mana attribute added in). This is something I usually do whenever I update to a new version of your scripts.

44. Teila

Teila

Yep!

Keep on motivating him, Opsive. :)

opsive and TonyLi like this.
  45. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

Can the horse also use stamina I wonder? I'm guessing so, since it is basically another character. Just need the animations to go along with the abilities that would use it.

By the way I noticed a slightly annoying thing: Sometimes when firing the rifle, the muzzle flash is still displayed while the character is returning to the idle position. Just for like half a second or so (great timing I know).

46. julianr

julianr

When copying the Rigid Body Character Controller (after making changes) and pasting the values into another character they do not work, is it because there is a gameObject reference of the other character in the abilities?

47. opsive

opsive

Yes, you'd be able to. The Speed Change ability doesn't know the difference between a humanoid or a generic character.
    Is there a particular weapon whose muzzle flash is displayed for too long?

48. opsive

opsive

Yes, the RigidbodyCharacterController would be referencing other abilities so using the built-in copy isn't going to work. I have it on my list to make a controller copier to make duplication easier.

julianr likes this.
  49. julianr

julianr

Ok thanks. No worries.

50. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

Yes, the assault rifle you start with, though you only see it if you hold the right mouse to zoom (though I think zoom is actually disabled in this version) whilst firing. Just a fraction of a second. I'll be using my own weapons and stuff for my actual project anyway, but I just thought I'd point that out because I never noticed it before.

Also, there's a bit of a glitch if you interact with the lift button (while carrying rifle) while sprinting. Walking and idle is fine though.

I also noticed this version of the web player demo no longer allows you to push the box.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.