Search Unity

Third Person Game Foundation Kit [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JanDawid, Jul 15, 2015.

1. JanDawid

JanDawid

-22 December 2021-

The 3D Aventure Game Kit is my latest asset. While it isn't necessarily meant to replace this asset, it is similar and has a more focused approach on being an all-round game kit. So, if this asset does interest you, make sure to go and check that one out too as it may be more what you're looking for compared to this asset.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Third Person Game Foundation Kit - Version 2.0
    Check the store page out for demos and more information on the asset.

Hello there!

So I've been working for the past year on a 3D Zelda-style engine that is meant to emulate the mechanics and gameplay of the 3D Zelda games (mainly the N64 ones). Since the start, it has evolved to be a multi-purpose third person game foundation kit which borrows from the likes of Zelda and Mario titles. It is currently loaded with tonnes of features (Mario 64 jumps, slope sliding, NPCs, Inventory, HUD, ledge climbing, ledge grabbing, swimming.... the list goes on).

I made this completely on my own and have made everything in it myself (no use of other people's assets and nothing copied from any tutorials). I also taught myself Blender for this and did the animations myself (which as they stand now are just very amateur place-holders); also note that the animations are not mecanim animations, as I like to control movement with scripting.

Finally, here's the latest video showcasing the asset:

Please leave a comment if you want to share your thoughts/interest.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  2. dibdab

dibdab

hello. congrats for making this. 3 questions.

1. you say "character moving around in 3D space, relative to the direction of the camera."
    can the movement be made independent of the camera? (because making it dependent on camera I think is a bad decision)
    2. you say no mecanim, "just code in the script"
    does that mean that, it works for generic, and no transitions or there are transitions.
    3. you say "gamepads/controllers"
    how hard is to change the inputs to custom one, like controlfreak, is it one line, like input.getkey(x)

3. JanDawid

JanDawid

1. What that means is that it basically moves in the space the camera is looking at; so that if you hold 'up' on the control stick, the character moves forward (away from the camera). This is the method most third person games go for as it's very intuitive and makes the most sense to the player. The movement can be based on whatever you like, simply set the velocity to whichever direction that you would want the character to move in. And technically speaking, it's not dependent on the camera itself, but an invisible transform that copies the camera's rotation on the y-axis.

2. By no mecanim I mean that the movement of the rigidbody is controlled by the script. The animations stay in place and don't move the character, but rather the rigidbody is given a velocity and an animation plays in place of the rigidbody. Perhaps I used the wrong term, I just mean that the animations themselves don't have their own speed/movement/positional changes. There is of course a animation controller with transitions and such to flow between the animations; it's usually referred to as the 'old' way of handling animations in Unity.

3. Yes, it's like Input.GetButton("Action Button"), and "Action Button" is defined in the Input Manager and can be changed to whatever you like.

I hope that answers your questions! :)

4. dibdab

dibdab

ok, thanks for the answers. 2 is good (thats no root motion), 3 is probably good (see, controlfreak is a mobile controller and has nothing to do with inputmanager).

I didn't see it anywhere, so I'd rather ask, if it works on android platform too.

about 1, what happens if you switch off or change the camera? theoretically if the camera transform is just a reference position, it also could be world.space, or a transform at 0,0,0 (?). would you try out if it works with multipurpose camera (in the sample assets)?

I'm leaning towards buying it, just want to be sure won't run into walls.

5. JanDawid

JanDawid

I haven't used controlfreak but the asset is basically two main scripts; the 'Input.GetWhatever's can be changed in the code to work with controlfreak (I'd assume). If it depends on any Axis' or whatever, then those 'Input.GetAxis's lines would have to change too. I'm not too knowledged on this third party asset but I can't imagine why it wouldn't co-operate.

There's no reason why these scripts wouldn't work on Android. Simply set up a control system with touch controls and assign the lines of input code to work with said touch controls. Like I said, it's only a couple of scripts, really.

The relative transform that the character moves relative to can be anything, anywhere. I have basically made something that works well for a typical third person game; if you want to remove the camera then you would have to find a way for the relative transform to be controlled. I just tried it with the multipurpose camera standard asset and attached the CameraFollower.cs script that my asset uses to the 'Main Camera' child object of the multipurpose camera. It works fine aside from some floaty/bouncy issues when moving the camera freely; I imagine this is due to the script that the multipurpose camera uses conflicting with my camera follower script. I can't imagine why you would need the script that the mulitpurpose camera asset comes with but... there you go, it works. I'd suggest just using the camera prefab that I have provided and any adjustments to the cameras movements can be made by you in the CameraFollower script provided.

6. dibdab

dibdab

because I have been using that for characters and vehicles and proved to be working pretty good. I was interesting how it behaves, because that has a rigidbody attached. also there are a couple camera systems on the store, so it's probably not just me who would think about using another camera.
    I've seen this approach you using for other third person controllers and already had problems with that. maybe I'm just over-anxious and would work just fine, but there are many other possible scenarios where movement tied to one camera seems to me like it doesn't make sense (multiple cameras switching, different POV's etc).

"a way for the relative transform to be controlled." this worries me most. so it can't be static? if it moves, the chances of issues like jerkiness occuring are much bigger. (I understand if you have it set up like that, but could you make a camera-free version, if possible?)

I want to add a couple things to the controller, like IK, shooter system, and so on. this looks like a good start, no need to worry, I'm just looking into it if it suits my needs.

7. JanDawid

JanDawid

The reason that the camera requires the CameraFollower script is because it is also controlled by the character (for when you target, focus on a target, move around in free mode and go first person). The relative transform can be static, all it has to do is rotate; by control I mean you would have to get it to rotate or whatever... I made it a separate transform so that the character isn't bothered about the rotation of the camera in any other axis.

The asset is meant to work as a combination of the camera and the character simply because the two interact with each other. You could remove the camera script and then remove any connection to the camera in the character's script if you like, but one of the main points of the asset is how the camera works. It also handles wall collisions very well which isn't something I've seen much of.

I think you are over-complicating it and I may be saying the wrong things... It's basically:
    A relative transform uses the y-rotation of the camera > The character moves relative to this transforms right and forward vectors > The character can control the camera to move behind him/rotate around him/etc.

I've basically made something to start building a project on; in terms of incorporating it into an existing project with other camera scripts and what not, it's really up to the user to make it work in that way. Even then, it shouldn't be too hard to do; like I said it would just be removing any connection that the character script has with the camera (so remove all the targeting, focusing, first person stuff and make the relative transform that you want the character to move relative to). If you don't want the character to move relative to anything then it's just as simple as press right to go right.
    The complexity of these scripts which I think makes them worth selling is mainly all the slope/incline handling, ledge climbing, target focusing, camera collision and things like that. Removing the camera script is do-able,and shouldn't cause any problems if you make the adjustments I mentioned.

Just keep in mind that it's a very good camera that I've programmed and you can adjust it in whatever way you'd like. You can add damping or something like that but... I don't see what else the camera really needs.

8. dibdab

dibdab

OK, bought it.
    after setting up a number of inputs in the input manager, I could run it. I don't see any immediate issues*, it works alright.
    but stripping the code down to the basics looks like a lot of work, maybe I'll just rewrite the inputs to mobile and see how that'll go.
    I see the animations are generic, so those should be changed for my character(s).

one suggestion/request: I'd like the climbing/catching ledge to be input-based (not always automatic. or chooseable).

*I see one issue. here it doesn't catch on
    3rdcClipboard01.jpg

JanDawid likes this.
  9. JanDawid

JanDawid

Thank you for purchasing the asset! I hope you make something great out of it. :)
    It should all work fine, but if any problems arise then let me know and I'll try to help you out as best as I can. The animations are my own amateur work; the blender file is there for you to alter or change for your own if you wish!

For the ledge climbing to be mapped to a button input, just change wherever something like 'holdTimer >= x' is to 'Input.GetButtonDown("Whatever")'. You can also get rid of the chunk of code that counts the 'holdTimer'.

For that climbing issue: Do a search in the ThirdPersonController.cs script for "//Checks for a ledge to grab while falling". The Physics.Linecast that checks for a grab-able ledge is only working for anything under the layer collision mask 'whatIsGround'. Those blocks in particular are under the collision layer "Slopes". Either change the layer mask to 'WhatIsACollision' or change the collision layer of the slopes to 'Collisions'.
    EDIT: Also, the gradient of the wall that the character will be against when grabbing a ledge cannot be to gradual as they either won't grab or the raycast that checks for a grab-able ledge won't reach the ledge. Make sure any ledge that you want to be grabbed is on either a vertical wall or at least a very steep one.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  10. JanDawid

JanDawid

I personally have encountered three bugs and have fixed them in my own time. The bugs are:
    -Grabbing while falling doesn't always work,
    -Positioning of character while grabbing beneath,
    -And rolling off a ledge might cause the character to fall rapidly;

The first bug is solved by changing the 'Grabbing While Falling movement' section in the TPC.cs script to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (grabWhileFalling) {
    2.             anim.SetTrigger ("grabbing");
    3.             if (rb.velocity.x != 0f || rb.velocity.z != 0f)
    4.                 rb.velocity = new Vector3 (0f, rb.velocity.y, 0f);            //The character moves down until it's at the proper position for grabbing the ledge
    5.             if (this.transform.position.y < (midPointLedge.y - capColHeight * 0.5f)) {
    6.                 rb.velocity = Vector3.zero;                                                //The character is stopped in place and is put into its 'grabbing' state
    7.                 grabBeneath = false;
    8.                 grabbing = true;
    9.                 grabWhileFalling = false;
    10.             }else
    11.                 this.transform.position = new Vector3(this.transform.position.x, midPointLedge.y - (capColHeight*0.5f), this.transform.position.z);
    12.         }
    ____

The second bug is fixed by changing this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. rayAgo.name = "RayA";
    2. rayAgo.transform.parent = this.transform;
    ...to this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. rayAgo.name = "RayA";
    2. rayAgo.transform.parent = this.transform;
    3. rayAgo.transform.localPosition = Vector3.zero;
    ____

The third bug is by changing this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (isRolling && !onGround && !underWater) {                                                                                                                    //If the character is off the ground just slightly and is not jumping, they will carry on rolling
    2.                 if (!jumping && !isTargetJumping)  
    3.                     onGround = true;
    4.                 else
    5.                     isRolling = false;
    6.             }
    ...to this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (isRolling && !onGround && !underWater) {                                                                                                                    //If the character is off the ground just slightly and is not jumping, they will carry on rolling
    2.                 if (!jumping && !isTargetJumping && Physics.Linecast(this.transform.position, this.transform.position - (Vector3.up * capColHeight * 0.55f), out rayDump, whatIsGround))  
    3.                     onGround = true;
    4.                 else
    5.                     isRolling = false;
    6.             }
    These bug fixes will be included in a version update which I will release soon. I'm working on the swimming mechanic so that will be included once I've finished working on it.

11. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

looks nice.

12. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

Been following this project for a while now. Thinking about buying it.

After playing the demo, here's some thoughts:

Any reason the camera doesn't aim up/down? It's not a deal breaker for me as I can easily add that in myself. Just wanted to be sure that it wouldn't break anything.

I also had a glitch where if I was on top of a pillar, and a went to climb down and grab the edge, sometimes the character would intersect with the pillar. Was the fix you posted above addressing this, or something else?

Anyways, looks like a pretty good bundle. Lots of features.

JanDawid likes this.
  13. JanDawid

JanDawid

I just didn't implement it but I have just managed to make it possible and is now part of the next release; if you purchase the asset I can give you the newly added code. :)

That was indeed the fix I posted. For some reason, I didn't set the position of the ray cast that makes sure it positions correctly. I'd recommend adding in all those bug fixes and then let me know if it persists or if any other problems arise.

Thank you! There's still many more features to come: FEATURES

Also, I can see that the screenshot you posted has the model with the wonky textures. I've had issues trying to upload the webplayer demo because Unity likes to mess around with directories.

14. JanDawid

JanDawid

I have updated the webplayer demo with all the bug fixes and the vertical free-camera movement.
    TRY IT HERE

15. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

Great, just purchased yesterday.

Are you going to keep the upcoming features like combat & item management as separate scripts?
    Some of those things that aren't directly related to movement may conflict with some things that I've already implemented in my project.

I think I'm most looking forward to the swimming and climbing :)

Anywho, I'll try working this into my current project now that I've downloaded it. I'll let you know if I run into any troubles.

JanDawid likes this.
  16. JanDawid

JanDawid

Glad to hear! Hope you'll enjoy it!
    By the way, if you guys could leave a good rating on the asset store page then I'd really appreciate it. :)

I'll probably have it all in the same script but I'll keep it as neat and sectioned as possible so it'll be easy to remove any unwanted features.

Swimming is almost done and climbing should be easy. ;)

Sure, you know how to reach me!

17. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

Great, looking forward to it.

Just brought it into my project and it's all working great so far. I replaced all the inputs with custom ones from this Input Manager and that's working good.

It'd be nice if things like collision layer order weren't hard-coded, and were able to be set in the inspector. Although I'm still able to pick layers for "What is Ground" and "What is slope" in the inspector... Maybe I'm missing something?

Anyways, I reorganized my layers a bit to accommodate that, and everything's working good!

Now I'm going to try bringing in my own character model/animations and see how that works out.

JanDawid likes this.
  18. JanDawid

JanDawid

I'm glad to hear it's all working well!

Umm... is the collision layer hard coded? I'm sure it can be moved around when clicking on 'Add Layers'. Then just refer to the right numbers in the code and select which layers you want each layer mask to cover.

Have fun inserting your own character! Try to keep the model in size with the 2 unit high capsule collider otherwise the distances for some of the ray casts may have to be changed if the capsule collider size changes. I'm trying to make it more streamlined in the next version so that changing the collider size will have all the raycasts accommodate with it.

19. JanDawid

JanDawid

Hey dude, just want to thank you for the review you posted on the asset's store page! :D

Also, I have implemented a MUCH better free camera; anyone interested in this code then please let me know and I'll message it to you! :)

20. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

Ah yeah, I was referring to having to go into the code and change the number of the layer (which is annoying if you want to download an update of the script, your settings get clobbered.)

I would have thought you'd be able to get the layer number from the whatIsGround LayerMask directly, but after looking it up, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this which is odd. o_O

But ah well, I'm nit picking really.
    It doesn't affect me too much now because I have spots 9, 10, & 11 reserved for those layers.

That's very good news. Make sure to accommodate radius too :)

JanDawid likes this.
  21. JanDawid

JanDawid

I'll look into seeing if the layer numbers can be searched through code via name rather than referring to the numbers, but I think that's the only way to go about it, sorry.

I will accommodate for any size changes.

22. JanDawid

JanDawid

The swimming mechanic is coming along... well, swimmingly!
    The character rotates along their transform.right and can swim in the direction that the capsule is pointing in (the up Vector of the capsule). There are two swimming speeds: Slow and impulse/push. If you click the left mouse button once, it will do a push; if that button continues to be held, the character will swim at the slow speed. If you want to hold the 'Q' key, the character will just swim slowly. The camera, by default, slowly pans into the direction that the character is swimming in.
    Target mode can work in two ways (user's choice): The first way is that the camera will focus to behind the character and then keep that angle so that the character can turn left/right and the camera remains looking forward. The other way is that the camera will keep behind the character and turn with them.
    There's also the diving mechanic which I've explained before.
    Now I've just got to get the swimming animations sorted and that should be all!

ElectroMantis likes this.
  23. JanDawid

JanDawid

Still working hard on the new features! I want to get climbing included as well in the upcoming update. Half way done with that and then got to sort out animations. These new features do take quiet a while to get right so I'm not sure when the full second version will release... perhaps around October/November (might be earlier, you never know)!
    I'm hoping to get this update done by the end of next week and then it might take a couple of weeks for the update to be approved on the asset store (if it's faster than the initial approval review, if it's about a day or two, then I might be plopping out bug fixes as often as I can).
    Consider the swimming and climbing features to be in a beta state as they do work very well but I feel that you guys might find a lot of things wrong with them that I never knew existed.

I have also taken advantage of Unity 5's amazing lighting effects and materials to make the engine a lot prettier from the get go, such as using the bloom effect standard asset.

Also, to any new people interested in the asset: The price WILL be going up with the new update so if you want to get every future feature for free then I suggest buying it now. With the amount of work I'm putting into it, you can expect the price of the full second version to be at least $40. I think the current $15 price tag is an absolute steal and am kicking myself that I didn't set it higher but... I'm generous like that. :)

24. JanDawid

JanDawid

PLAY THE NEW DEMO
    New features are ready to be rolled out! You can try them out in the link above (and be sure to check the controls for instruction on the new features). All this will be included in the upcoming update for the asset which will be available as soon as I get the documentation and user guide updated and whenever the package gets approved after submission.

New features include:
    +Added y-axis free camera movement (is merged with zoom in/out on the gamepad but separate for mouse/keyboard);
    +Climbing Mechanics [Beta] along with ladders and fences to climb;
    +Swimming Mechanics [Beta], including diving and swimming and inverted controls options;
    +Improved Camera Collisions.

Bug Fixes Include:
    +Grabbing while falling has a far more reliable success rate;
    +Positioning when grabbing beneath has been fixed;
    +Jumping off a ledge while rolling has been fixed;
    +Positioning the RayA transform has been fixed (well, implemented);
    +Odd glitch where the character would slide along the ground after landing on an incline;
    +Slope collisions have been improved;
    +Other misc. bits and bobs.

Edit: I have noticed some glitches in the webplayer demo that aren't apparent in the editor itself when making it for standalone. These glitches include some visual bugs (like with textures or when climbing up ledges) and also the grabbing while falling not working properly. I'll see if I can remedy this but I'm not sure how if it only happens in the webplayer demo.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  25. xanthusbass1

xanthusbass1

upload_2015-8-30_10-9-0.png

hi I have this error where when I climb to the top of a ledge the player jumps up a little bit is there a way I can make a smooth transition? [edit] It only seems to happen on high & medium ledges

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  26. JanDawid

JanDawid

Ah, I've got that fixed for the update but unfortunately I'm at work so I cannot send you my code right this minute.
    A good fix for this would be to go the LedgeImpulse() method in the ThirdPersonController script and lower the float passed through the WaitForSeconds(float) method for the appropriate animation. Try lowering it by 0.05 at a time until the transition is smoother. If this doesn't help, please wait until I can access my computer in about 7 hours.
    It's cool to see someone else's model in my asset, haha! :)

27. xanthusbass1

xanthusbass1

thank you i still cant get my head around it :) Nooby

JanDawid likes this.
  28. JanDawid

JanDawid

Okay, I've started a private conversation with you. :)

29. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

Excellent stuff here. Been playing around with the new demo.

I didn't see any texture glitches like you mentioned. However, when I was climbing on the curved wall, if I went to the side a bit, and then climbed up the character doesn't pull himself up properly.

Will water at varying heights be supported? Like if I had a lake at one height and another one higher up, will the fog effects and everything else work?

I also have some suggestions, which may or may not be out of the scope of the package maybe? If they are, maybe you could give me some pointers as to what I can do to put this in myself?

Sometimes If I grab a ledge while jumping/falling, the character won't pull himself up until I hit the backwards arrow and then forwards again. I'd like it if the player held down the direction facing the wall, the player would climb up immediately. Wondering if/how that could be done?

If you grab a ledge (or climbing wall) from behind, the camera wants to get squished in between the character and the wall. What would be nice is if the camera snapped to behind the character when he started grabbing. (what would be super nice is if the rotation of the camera was restricted to 180 degrees relative to the wall. I'm too tired right now to figure out the maths for that right now.)

I really like how the player grabs the climbing wall or ladder automatically (instead of jumping). I'd like to apply a similar logic to all tall ledges, where the character would grab the ledge if you walked off at any speed. Then, if the player held down a button (like a Run button or something) the player would jump off. What would I have to change to get this behavior?

That was sort of a loaded post sorry.
    Anyways, looking forward to the final release of those features. I've certainly enjoyed using it.

30. JanDawid

JanDawid

Hey there, thank you! :)

There are some hick-ups, like the arms being grey and some other little nit-picks. I'm not quite sure I understand the issue you're having with the climbing; could you elaborate a bit more? Man, I thought I fixed all the climbing bugs, haha!

The water is basically a giant cube; you can have multiple water cubes and place them where ever you like. You can have the cube as a size-sided body of water (which is what I was testing with). All you have to do is make sure to give each body of water a unique ID above 0 in the Inspector. The user manual will explain it properly. The fog effect works as long as the camera is inside the water cube.

That pull-up delay is intentional; otherwise as soon as you'd grab on then there's a good chance you'll pull up straight away (and most likely unintentionally). Because pressing up works on an axis, the Vertical axis has to fall to/below zero first before you can climb up, which causes this odd effect. I'll work on a fix tomorrow as I have to get to work now, ugh. :p

I keep forgetting to correct that camera oddity, so I'll get to work on that tomorrow as well. The script already checks to see if you're climbing up and facing the camera, so all I'd have to do is lerp it around the character (or basically have it target behind).

There is an if-statement in there that checks for the ladder beneath your feet (I believe it's where the jump-off-ledges code is near the top of Update()). You can just add the condition: '!Input.GetButton("Run")', or something like that. So if it is being held down then they'd climb down.

Hope that's helped you. Sorry I can't work on it today, but I'll do a lot of work tomorrow on it to make up for it. :))

EDIT: I believe that the webplayer demo isn't accurately displaying the updated version... it seems pretty glitchy whereas what I'm playing in my editor, or in the standalone version, doesn't replicate these glitches.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  31. xanthusbass1

xanthusbass1

hey,
    I inserted the code like you mentioned i'm now getting these errors sorry for the late reply. im going to try rebuilding from scratch see what happens

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  32. JanDawid

JanDawid

Sorry, the code I gave you used some new variables. I've sent you an updated version; just insert it like you did before.

33. JanDawid

JanDawid

I've fixed the problem with the camera when ledge grabbing and have made the delay to pull up just two-fifths of a second so the character pulls up almost immediately and doesn't need to wait for the "Vertical" axis to reach zero.

I'm still not sure what the issue with the climbing that you're having is... perhaps it's just the webplayer demo. Ugh.

34. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

That's awesome!

I'll send you a video illustrating the problem with the wall climbing in a private message. And maybe it's the webplayer? I don't know.

35. JanDawid

JanDawid

HELLO EVERYONE!

Version 1.2 is available for download! Click HERE to be taken to the store page and give it a go.
    Read the updated documentation HERE to see what's new and what's different.

Current owners should be able to upgrade for free (if not, let me know and I'll send you a free download code). For new customers it is available for a price of $35!

But that's not all the good news I have... Version 1.3 is something that I wasn't planning to make but it is now ready and will be available as soon as it's finished being reviewed. This newer version won't see a price increase so it's like free DLC. It involves better incline handling, a Terrain to test the character on, and some bug fixes with swimming and climbing. Also, the biggest addition is a new feature which is... Zelda-Style Block Pushing! This allows the character to push/pull certain cubes and works to a precise degree so that it is moved an exact amount each time; however this doesn't use and position translating so that the boxes will interact with other colliders along the way and not go through them.

Keep checking back here for any news on version 1.3. Webplayer demo will be available soon!
    Also, don't forget to keep an eye on my blog page too.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  36. JanDawid

JanDawid

Version 1.3 is ready to be submitted! Hopefully the review process won't be too long.

HERE is the documentation for version 1.3 which outlines all the new features, bug fixes, etc. and shows off new screenshots of what the asset looks like now.

Here are a few screenshots to get the ball rolling...
    SS0.png SS1.png
    SS3.png

37. JanDawid

JanDawid

38. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

Wow that was quick! I haven't even implemented 1.2 into my project yet. Now I guess I'll just sit tight for a week or so. :)
    The new robot looks good too!

39. JanDawid

JanDawid

Yeah, maybe I should've waited for 1.3 to be finished first, but like I said, I wasn't really planning to release 1.3; just wanted the asset to look more visually pleasing and throw in a new mechanic. :)
    Cheers. Took me a whole day to make... didn't know why I was sticking with that pink horned guy. :p

40. JanDawid

JanDawid

NEWS TIME!
    Version 2.0 (since version 1.0) is around 70% finished already! I thought it would take a lot longer than this to get things done but I guess I was wrong! Version 2.0 is looking to get a release in October! A couple months earlier than I thought.
    So it already has climbing, swimming and box pushing; new to this is also Menus (an inventory system), items (prefabs), health, magic (or stamina, if you prefer), and HUD functionality. These are all things that are virtually complete! All the menus/inventory stuff is very customizable and easy to get your head around (though I'm going to have an experience writing out the updated user manual). I'm very pleased (and surprised) with how well it has all turned out; the hearts regenerate/lower at custom speeds, the stamina bar works like it does in Zelda: Link Between Worlds, the inventory has both mouse & keyboard and gamepad functionality and works flawlessly in both! Items can be changed to acquired or not, movement throughout the menu via gamepad works lovely... I could go on.
    Trust me when I say: BUY THIS ASSET FOR THE PRICE IT'S AT NOW. It's unfolding into what's looking to be the go-to third person foundation asset for most future Unity projects. Like I stated in the documentation, I'm making what I was looking for in the asset store about a year ago and I wish this was available to me when I first started learning Unity. It is a very strong and simple foundation for any third-person (or even first person because it has that too) game that I have poured almost an entire years worth of time into.
    Thank you to everyone who has purchased the asset or has shown any interest in it, because THAT'S basically all that has kept me from abandoning this project. If I could ask any more from you guys then it would be to just spread the word of my work and (hopefully) build something amazing from this asset.
    To everyone who has yet to buy this asset, I can assure you that this is a very solid, well made piece of work and you always have my support whenever and if you get stuck using it (heck, I'd even help if you just need general programming advice).

Here is another quick look at how version 2.0 is coming along (and yes, I know how oversized all the GUI elements look right now). And do note that those multicolored squares are place-holders for other items/weapons:
    HUD2.png

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    ElectroMantis and Mihai77 like this.
  41. JanDawid

JanDawid

Version 1.3 is up for purchase!

Click HERE to be taken to the assets store page!

42. TechiTech

TechiTech

I was hoping you wouldnt include a UI/ inventory system. I will have to spend time removing it. You should specialize in the controller and camera system. That is what you advertised. You cant do all these separate areas well enough for a production project. maybe for the kids to mess around with but not for serious developers looking for a solid controller/camera system.

What you should of spent that time on os a cover system. So how much time will it take for us to remove this invertory and UI? will it break things? ... nevermind.. it will probably be quicker in the long run if I build it from scratch.. it usually always is.

43. TechiTech

TechiTech

I just finished testing your new demo.. and theres still bugs. Why not invest your time fixing it instead implemented new features?

44. JanDawid

JanDawid

It doesn't hurt to include the UI/inventory system; it's there to use if you like and it works very well. It's all on a single, separate script so you don't even have to include the script if you don't want to use that particular feature (and at the moment, it's not even in the current version of the asset). The health/stamina regeneration works very professionally, the money counter I've recently added works just like it does in the Zelda titles... It's all top-quality stuff so I'm confident that serious devs will find use out of it.

And these "separate areas" all tie in with the character controller part and I have mentioned from the start in my documentation that all these features will be added to it by the time it's finished. So it's not like this is false advertising, I'm just making it worth the purchase and full of lots of extra goodies that serious devs can either modify or remove or for newer devs to use and learn with. These other features aren't half-assed, quickly-put-together things that I'm adding for the sake of it; they're things that can really be used in a professional sense and do have value to them.

What bugs have you come across? I'd be happy to fix them. I do bug fixes along the way anyway, and will continue to support the asset after it's finished by doing bug fixes. I'm pretty sure that what you've come across is really just a quick fix. This controller is very well made and works just like ones you've seen in AAA titles.

Bhanshee00 and ElectroMantis like this.
  45. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

Yeah, I'd rather see the swimming and stuff leave beta and to see some of the bugs gone before the new stuff comes in.

But it is good to see the dev jump on top of these issues relatively quickly as they pop up. He's been pretty good about that.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    JanDawid likes this.
  46. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

JanDawid likes this.
  47. JanDawid

JanDawid

Haha, oh man, yeah that doesn't look right does it? No problem, I'll get on this in the morning and have a bug fix ready soon.
    The swimming and climbing definitely will leave beta; I mean they're practically complete, just in need of further bug fixing like you've demonstrated. :)

Well if I can't be a perfect programmer then you can all at least count on me to care about my work and make sure that everyone using it is happy with it and not having many (if any at all) problems with it.

Bhanshee00 and ElectroMantis like this.
  48. JanDawid

JanDawid

After some consideration I have decided that I will split this project up into two separate assets. One will be just the character and camera controller with basic moving around, jumping and ledge climbing/grabbing; and the other will be a Third Person foundation asset with the character and camera controller and all the other features included as well. The former I will release soon at the original price of $15 and the latter will be the asset that's already on sale now. People who have bought this asset and would like just the character and camera controller can be refunded if they have purchased the smaller asset too.

49. TechiTech

TechiTech

Now thats a much better idea :)

Thank you.

50. JanDawid

JanDawid

You're welcome; it's just that what you said made me think about what if someone wants the camera and character controller but not all the other features... I'd like to offer that freedom if I can. And I can, so I will. So one will be the Third Person Character and Camera Controller (basically what you wanted) and the other will be the Third Person Game Foundation Kit, which is what it is now. Just give it a little while for both assets to be available on the store.

Also, not to pester you but could you let me know what bugs you ran into, please?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015