Search Unity

Third party MMO engines.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by StarGamess, Jan 22, 2015.

1. StarGamess

StarGamess

First of i am in no way interested in making an MMO. I'm trying to make a co-op game and thats hard enough for me. This question is more out of curiousity. I saw there were a bunch of 3rd party MMO engines or server in the asset store. And they claim they can transform any game into an MMO in minutes. Now i always saw when someone asked on this forum about making an MMO alot of people getting mad and telling the OP it was impossible or to difficult or that it would cost 1000ends of dollars. So are these packages just normal networking sulotion or are they really able to transform youre game into an MMO since the one i'm talking about only costs about a 100$. (MMO networking framework)

2. BFGames

BFGames

Never tried out the particular asset but i would not bet my money on it. If it was that easy then you would see indie MMO's all over the place. ;)

3. StarGamess

StarGamess

Yea i know it seems so dodgy an MMO for a 100$... idk just doesnt seem legit.

4. npsf3000

npsf3000

While I believe in principle that such an asset could be created, I've not seen anything that really delivers.

5. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

I've created a server framework that has been tested to hold thousands of connections, ultimately how many connections you can handle would be reliant on the way you handle logic, the inbound and outbound traffic, as-well as hardware and Internet speeds. I give this away for free.

Will it transform your game into an "MMO" in minutes? Probably not.

Could you transform your current RPG into an multiplayer RPG over the period of a day?

Probably, depending on the size.

I've done freelance works for smaller hobby projects that have only taken 2-3 hours to implement multiplayer functionality using a 3rd-party stand-alone server.

StarGamess likes this.
  6. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

You're going to have to make it all yourself if you want a good MMO. You can use assets from the asset store related to networking to help, but there's no... instant MMO package out there. You have to make a lot of this stuff yourself, and it's challenging. I do encourage you to actually try working on an MMO if you think you are ready. If anything you'll gain some experience at worst case. It's a LOT of work, even with a team, but if you get the basics down you can recruit people on Unity forums, or find friends willing to help, or get a kickstarter going and hire some people. But don't give up just because people say it's hard.

7. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

Creating the actual game and the networking is actual very simple, the hard part is the sheer amount of content. Every developer knows this.

8. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

Yes i agree. But if you have years to work on it... It's worth a shot!

9. npsf3000

npsf3000

Every developer worth their salt know that each game is different - there is no hard rule that MMO's must have significant content.

10. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

One cool thing too with MMOs.... is you can always add on to them. You can always start out with a small amount of content and build onto it for years. But yes, every game is different and won't require the same amount of content. Good point.

11. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

Sorry, I was using the "Generic" usage of an MMORPG, where-as every novice wants to create the next World of Warcraft or Tera. With enough players a 10x10 tile game in which you kill monsters could be classified as a MMORPG, or even space-invaders if you added ships that could heal, you know, something other than a single role.

You're not going to create a MMORPG that stays around without content, that's fact. I can create a game that has everything WoW has to offer mechanics wise.

• Character Creation
    • Chat
    • WASD Movement
    • Target based combat
    • Guilds
    • Parties
    But if I use everything that WoW has, if I only give the player a single-room with a single-npc, and one quest to kill that npc. It doesn't matter how many people log-in to it. It won't hold "MMO" status, because everyone would quit within 10 minutes.

That was my point.