Search Unity

The profiler has run out of samples...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Rodolfo-Rubens, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

...for this frame. This frame will be skipped.

I'm getting this error on the console from time to time, even though I'm not using the profiler and its window it's closed.

Bug? Should I report?

2. Kim-Riber

Kim-Riber

Unity Technologies

Hi.
    Thanks for reporting this. It has been fixed and will be in unity 5.1
    We have also added UnityEngine.Profiler.maxNumberOfSamplesPerFrame where you can control the buffer sizes for the profiler
    -Kim

3. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Hey, thanks, that was fast!

4. Simon-O

Simon-O

I'm getting this error in 5.1.0f3

5. MGleem

MGleem

yes, I'm also getting in 5.1.0f3

6. webik150

webik150

Me too

7. Arkade

Arkade

Hey, @Kim Riber (and @Simon O @MGleem @webik150 )

How does one apply the setting you mentioned in your post? (forgive I haven't tried it yet ... just wondering if that's why people are still seeing the problem. Just trying to help :) )

8. webik150

webik150

I would guess you have to create a script with [ExecuteInEditor]. But that would just take so much work, so it's easier to just write here and hope someone will come up with something better :D

Arkade likes this.
  9. Kim-Riber

Kim-Riber

Unity Technologies

Hi
    You can add it to your startup code on f.ex. your camera
    -Kim

10. Cryztalfox

Cryztalfox

Hello Kim, could you be so kind as to explain to me how I can disable your engines profiler. You see I am getting the profiler running out of samples logerror, and I am performance testing. For this I need the unity profiler to STAY OFF. Whenever I hit the play button the unity profiler auto enables it would seem and I have no way of enforcing it stay off.
    My version of unity is: 5.1.1f1 and this has not become an issue until today.

My process is being affected in a negative manner as I now have to divert my attention from managing over 1000 unit's and their AI to this profiler bug from the engine itself... If you could get back to me on this manner I would very much appreciate it. Ty :)

11. Thelo

Thelo

I am also getting this annoying error in 5.1.2f1 (Windows 32-bit editor)

12. andyz

andyz

What is the update on this error please? I just noticed in it 5.1.1
    I open the profiler, use it for a bit and then close window - then while running the game in the editor next time it crashes/pauses with this error in the console (The profiler has run out of samples for this frame. This frame will be skipped. Increase the sample limit using Profiler.maxNumberOfSamplesPerFrame)

So I don't why the profile would even be running when I have closed the window...?

13. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Sounds like it may be this issue you are having. Its different from the original one and it still being investigated. If you think the problem is different then please submit a bug report.

14. invicticide

invicticide

I just got this error in 5.3.0f4. The profiler window is closed. It was open for a while earlier in this editor session, but it has never been open during the gameplay session in which the error occurred.

15. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

This is incredible annoying, if it was at least a warning log, but it's a error. Any update on this?

16. ippdev

ippdev

Just ran into this now. Is the workaround to never open the Profiler to begin with??? Gads. I despise getting 99.5% of a game done and ready to get paid to have some idiot error come in and put my paycheque in the dirt right at Christmas time. Unity tech. Do a better job. Some of us rely on your apps stability to get paid on time. I will now have to mess with this and watch my fixed rate contract slowly go backwards in the dollar per hour ratio.

17. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yeah I'm getting this same error on the newest 5.3.1 or whatever it is.

18. DerickTP

DerickTP

Yeah also getting this error, on startup. I do a lot thing on my script in the start function (maybe not the best idea, but I'm just prototyping map generation here). I get this error in 5.2.3f1 in mac, and windows, even after setting the max number of sample to 8 000 000. I have to check for 5.3. This really annoying, I would like to efficiently compare algorithms...

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've had the issue throughout the dev cycle from 5.1 to 5.3 - basically I only need to use the profiler once, then while using unity editor outside of play mode, it'll spam the console from time to time, even if I'm just panning the scene view. Persists until restart. I notice it's been reported a lot, so I wonder if that part is being missed ie - happens outside of playmode some time after first using profiler in playmode.

20. nikokoneko

nikokoneko

I am still getting this error in Unity 5.4.0b2, near the startup. Not using Profiler at all. Any ETA on this fix?

21. Baste

Baste

I've seen this from time to time. The problem is that closing the profiler window does not cause the profiler to stop running. You have to uncheck the "record" button before you close it.

I'm not sure if it's consistent, I've just made it a habit to uncheck the button every time I close the profiler.

22. cbailey_kt

cbailey_kt

23. Baste

Baste

@karl.jones, I can see that this issue is fixed in 5.4. Any chance of getting it backported to 5.3? This bug means that if I every use the profiler, I have to restart Unity or not use Error Pause in the console.

24. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I'll ask the developer if its ok to backport.

Edit: It's ok to backport. should be available in 1-2 weeks.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  25. shaliniambi398

shaliniambi398

The profiler has run out of samples for this frame. This frame will be skipped. Increase the sample limit using Profiler.maxNumberOfSamplesPerFrame

Getting this error in 5.2.3

26. OrekaIngenierie

OrekaIngenierie

Hi, still have it from time to time in 5.3.4f1, appaers dont do anything anyway but still

EDIT : in fact does appear when unity finish all jobs and goes to another task of GI baking.

27. tswalk

tswalk

still a problem....

28. marihano

marihano

getting that error too

29. bobmoff

bobmoff

Still having this error from time to time. Using 5.3.5p4

30. El_boy

El_boy

This wouldn't have any effect on an actual build would it? I'm guessing anything that has to do with the Profiler wouldn't interfere in any way on builds... I'm getting the error on 5.3.1f1 Personal, I'm scared ;)

31. LAustralien

LAustralien

I am getting this error and I am using Unity Pro 5.4.0f3

johanneskopf likes this.
  32. johanneskopf

johanneskopf

Me too. I am using Unity 5.4.0f3 Personal.

33. Dwarf-Cavern

Dwarf-Cavern

Hi all,
    I used to get this annoying error as well since my scene grew in complexity, but I followed the directions that the profiler message / error state and have used the newly implemented Profiler feature and it solved the issue immediately.

My workflow is this:
    1. I made a "Profiler Buffer" gameobject to sit in the scene while working on the scene in the editor.
    2. Made a simple script that calls Profiler.maxNumberOfSamplesPerFrame = -1; in Start. If you consult the API documentation it states that -1 value is for enabling a dynamic buffer that scales automatically, per scenes need.
    3. Assigned the script to the "Profiler Buffer"
    4. Hit play and the message is gone.
    5. Remember to delete the object from the final scenes for the build, or do something else that you like not to have it redundant in your build.

Personally I've never gotten it in editor mode, only when executing Awake and Start functions when hitting play, and this solved the issue completely. If you are getting the errors in Editor mode, then I guess that forcing the script to run in editor mode as well could solve the issue, but then I would be careful with the dynamic buffer, simply because I haven't tested it myself, so I don't know how it behaves.

In case you need more details, everything is pretty clearly stated here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Profiler-maxNumberOfSamplesPerFrame.html

Hope this helps some of the people who had the same problem as me :)

34. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

I'm seeing this issue in Unity 5.4.0p2.

35. Tyrathect

Tyrathect

Me too 5.4.0p2

36. Threepwood

Threepwood

Getting this in 5.4.0p2 as well. Started happening after I first used the profile the first time. Continued after profile window was closed and through restarts of Unity.

37. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

I get this error in 5.4.0f3 even when profiler is closed

38. rsodre

rsodre

Pissing me off on 5.4.0f3

hakankaraduman likes this.
  39. pixxelbob

pixxelbob

Seems like a regression @karl_jones
    When the profiler has been open then is closed this happens ~every 60 seconds, quite annoying when you have "Error pause" turned on.
    I'm seeing it in 5.3.6p4 & 5.4.0p2

40. John-Citizen

John-Citizen

Still getting the error in 5.4.1.

41. Wip3ou7

Wip3ou7

getting this error in 5.4.1f1

42. MightyBen

MightyBen

Seeing this in 5.4.1p2.

Profiler window was open, i turned off record and closed it, I still get this every 30 seconds or so while running the game. Very hard to do actual debugging since this halts everything (as I am using error pause).

43. _uso212

_uso212

Getting this error in 5.4.1f1, had to copy and paste the asset folder into a new one and not open the profiler for any reason. It's not crashing on build but it's not a solution, just a workaround.

44. Shinyclef

Shinyclef

Unfortunately I'm getting this frequently too in 5.4.2f1.
    I got it in the editor, and also in a build.
    It's happening quite frequently in the editor.
    I will try increasing samples, but actually I wasn't expecting the profiiler to be running at all like most of the previous posters.

45. rad1c

rad1c

5.4.2f2 win x64 here, not very often but still getting this error

hakankaraduman likes this.
  46. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

updated from 5.4.0 to 5.4.2f2 and same here, it goes away after restarting the computer but still annoying

47. Thelo

Thelo

How it goes for me (Windows 10, Unity 5.4.2f2, though the problem has been going on for over a year) is that within a given editor session, if I open the Profiler window and start the game at any point (such that the profiler starts recording for real), then for the rest of that session the editor will be vulnerable to the "run out of samples" bug, even if I later close the Profiler window itself or stop recording with it.

To fix it, I must stop recording with the profiler (toggle off the "Record" button in the Profiler window), then close the Profiler window, then restart the editor. This makes the editor safe once more... until the next time I open the Profiler window.

This makes me think that the underlying problem is something where toggling "Record" to off doesn't quite turn off everything related to profiler recording, and that something does stay turned on when it shouldn't be - as evidenced by the error message about large profiler outputs. But an editor restart does turn it off.

(That said, various people in this thread report that an editor restart does not fix the problem, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on. I wonder if these people are in fact restarting the editor with the Profiler window enabled, which would immediately trigger the problem again, since the profiler window defaults to Record = on when opened?)

48. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

Latest version in OS X, happens all the time.

49. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

Annoying me since over a year, now on 5.4.2f2...

50. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

This error might be connected to the bug report I sent where having the profile window Open and dragging it to the bottom right corner of the screen while in maximized play mode causes the fps go from 200 to 4000.....(turn Vsync off in Quality to uncap the 60fps)

I noticed this when all my projects in 5.4 started capping at 200 fps even in empty scenes so adding objects doesn't show any difference which makes it very hard to spot any changes in 5.4, this was not an issue in 5.2 or Unity 4.

I believe the entire profiler is corrupt under the hood and needs to be reworked just like Enlighten was; causing more issues then it solved.