Search Unity

The Performance Questions Thread

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Foxxis, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Foxxis

Foxxis

I have not seen a thread dedicated to performance questions and best practices, so here it is. If there is one, please point me to it and/or merge the questions below.

We are very pleased with the workflow and functionality of the GUI system, but how it performs under different circumstances and why is something I have yet to grasp. I would be very thankful if the Unity team would like to adress the questions below.

• We use multiple canvases for a very complex UI. In the editor we notice canvas-related performance problems. Ie. if we disable the canvases we notice a big performance boost. However, not so much (if at all) in a standalone build. Why is this, and is it intended behaviour for final release (or beta related)?
      While it is always hit and miss to profile in the editor, the current state of GUI performance makes it impossible.
    • Are elements on a canvas "cached"? Ie. is each individual element rendered each frame, or is the canvas contents composited when an element changes and then "batched" during subsequent, non-changing frames?
    • Are there circumstances that should be avoided for best performance? For example, using world space canvases, is there a performance penalty if you position canvas elements in z space?
    • Does a canvas itself incur a performance penalty even though the majority of it is not populated. For example, consider a large canvas that only contains a small visible element. Is the cost of the canvas hierarchy related to the canvas size or the element size?
    I am sure others can add to the questions. Many thanks in advance for any info from the team! I am sure many devs would find the info very useful.

2. Foxxis

Foxxis

BUMP. Please...?
    Either this info is already out there, or it needs to be?

3. Raimis

Raimis

I also have one question - let's assume app has 20 screens. Is it better to have each of the screen in it's separate canvas or all of the screens in the single canvas? I early betas (like b7 or b9) we went with only canvas but then it seemed that even inactive objects got sorted therefore the performance was terrible (hence we switched to multiple canvases). Wonder what is the best practice for this?

4. leo-carneiro

leo-carneiro

Unity Technologies

Hi!

Will comment on what I know from the top of my head right now, and will investigate or ping the other devs that should know about the others.

Disabling a canvas should improve performance on standalone as well, it would be interesting if you could provide your project so we could take a look at it.

Regarding the caching of the elements, you could say we have 2 cache levels. First we cache the vertices on the CanvasRenderer, so, as long as UpdateGeometry is NOT called, we will use the vertices cached in the CanvasRenderer. That means we will only rebuild the individual element geometry if it got dirty for some reason. Secondly we have a canvas level cache, if no elements inside the canvas have changed, we can re-use the last generated batch, otherwise we will need to re-batch all CanvasRenderers inside the canvas.

One performance sensitive configuration I can think of is Pixel Perfect, when this mode is enabled, for any change in the transform of the element we need to re-generate it's vertices and it's childrens vertices. So If you are going to animate anything, make sure to disable pixel perfectness, you can safely turn it on after the animation stops. This can potentially kill performance depending how deep is the hierarchy that you are animating.

The size of the canvas in units does not affect performance, the amount of children items it contains does .

Regarding 1 Canvas vs multiple canvases, it's a trade of, each canvas will force a new batch and add a Draw Call. So you can use it to decide which elements should be batched together. A good use case for this would be, separate static and animating items on different canvas, this way the static elements canvas can reuse it's last generated batch, and only the batch of the animated canvas will need to be re-generated.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Let me know if there is anything above that is not really clear.

Cheers!

Crazydadz and Togis like this.
  5. Foxxis

Foxxis

Thanks for your reply!
    Disabling a canvas does have impact on standalone, only much, much less so then in the editor. My current experience is that there seems to be an overhead when running the new UI in the editor as opposed to when built.

I am still hunting for the exact cause, but while doing so I noticed that batching seems to be broken. To verify I created an empty scene with a couple of standard cubes. They did not batch. Is batching turned off in 4.6b? Perhaps better to start a thread about that...

6. Xylph

Xylph

I also started the thread with regards to performance: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/performance-on-color-lerping.275609/

I think we have the same problem on the "editor-only-performance" part.

Pixel perfect didn't solve my issue for 2 reasons.
    - I'm using a world space canvas (no setting for pixel perfect)
    - Problem isn't with the canvas hierarchy since performance is fine if I disable my custom script which lerps the color (see my thread for details). Also, it's perfectly fine when built.

7. Foxxis

Foxxis

The situation is not exactly the same, but the root cause might be. In my case we have a rig with:
    - Several world space canvases
    - Poor performance in editor as soon as they are in camera view, even without any scripts updating the contents
    - When built there is still a performance difference, but this is relatively minor (from 180fps->160/170fps) whereas in the editor I see a drop from 60fps solid to around 20fps. So there seems to be a lot of overhead in the editor, more so for the GUI than other things.

8. Foxxis

Foxxis

I am now quite sure this is due to the editor itself and quite possibly a bug (or debug stuff still left in). Take a look at the enclosed picture. It shows the *editor* profiling when running the scene with the strange GUI behaviour.
    When the GUI stuff is not present in view, the fps is synced to 60fps. As soon as the GUI stuff enters the frame, according to the profiler the *editor* uses practically all available resources. As mentioned earlier, I can confirm this is likely an editor issue as the built scene will not exhibit this behaviour.
    I can not submit this project due to it's current state in development, but I urge the dev team to take a look at situations with several world canvases and in-editor behaviour (at least on Mac OSX with b21).
    The problem is intermittent and when in effect makes development a pain in the proverbial. editorSpike2.png

9. Foxxis

Foxxis

I should add that as far as I can tell, the performance is mostly affected by canvases being visible in the editor view. I have two monitors with the second being dedicated to game view and the primary is editor view. Having the editor view containing the canvases will often trigger the behaviour. As previously noted, the is intermittent, happening about 80% of the time.

10. Foxxis

Foxxis

I found the cause in my case.
    Unbelievably, this only happens when running Unity with The scene and game view on different monitors. Collecting the views on one monitor makes the framerate shoot up to 100-200fps, and there is NO difference in framerate whether I have active canvases or not. Whereas with the views on two different monitors, active canvases can cause the FPS to drop from 60-70fps to 10.
    Is there a known case of Unity performing poorly with views on different monitors? Will have to search for that.
    Regardless, this difference in performance is quite disappointing as it is very convenient to use separate monitors for the game and scene views...

11. leo-carneiro

leo-carneiro

Unity Technologies

@Foxxis:
    It's good to note that the UI batching system is a separate system from the existing 3D batching system. And as far as I know we haven't changed anything in the existing 3D batching system in 4.6.

This performance bug you are hitting could be hardware dependent as well, I also use multiple monitors, but haven't noticed this issue. It would be really helpful if you could send us this scene you are experiencing this issues, via our Bug Reporter, this way we would have most of the info we need to try and reproduce.

@Xylph:
    Have you tried putting this item you are lerping the color, onto it's own canvas? Try to keep static elements and dynamic elements into it's own canvas. This will help the system to re-use previous batches for the static elements, and only rebatch the dynamic elements. They don't need to be root canvas, nested canvas will also work :)

12. hanger

hanger

13. leo-carneiro

leo-carneiro

Unity Technologies

@hanger: As far as I know we don't use delegates in the Runtime, only in the Editor for the UI System. You will probably see a much smaller spike when running a standalone build :) There is a cost to enable and disable UI Components, since there is some housekeeping we need to do, but we try to be smart where we can and use non allocating structures on the runtime! Can you build and confirm if the spike is way smaller outside the editor?

14. Foxxis

Foxxis

I would like to report this complete with a repro. However, I cannot easily reproduce it in a new project as it seems the combination of substances, GUI and a fair bit of geometry pushes Unity into a situation where the editor does *something* that impacts performance severely if either of the game/scene windows are on an external monitor.
    I cannot simply submit the scene that exhibits the problem as that would require you signing an NDA (which I understand you will not do).

For what it is worth, the scene is using substances, mechanim, the new UI (with several world space canvases) and is running under Mac OS 10.9.4 with Unity b21. New Mac Pro 8x3ghz Xeon E5 and dual D700 cards, dual Apple Thunderbolt displays.
    With the windows separated on the external screen Unity seems to cap at 60fps (even with vsync and target framerate off) and often drop to around 10fps with the GUI system in play. With the windows on the main display, frame rate seems uncapped and unaffected by the presence of the GUI (fps in the 150 - very high range).

Please let me know if I can provide more info, or if there is something in particular you would like us to test. I am sorry we simply cannot submit the project, we are not able to do so.

15. Xylph

Xylph

Currently, I have a world space canvas (reserved for the whole game) ready where I can put the number objects. I'll try having each object have its own canvas then since all of them are dynamic.

Another question, is this an editor-only problem? Or does it apply to built project, just that built projects run faster than from editor?

16. Xylph

Xylph

I've tried separating each object on its own canvas. Later, these objects will be nested under a bigger canvas. I still get almost the same slow performance while running it in the editor. Also the same with built projects, it runs smoothly.

EDIT: I just upgraded to RC1. It's fixed now. I guess it was editor-only before XD

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014