Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Mappening" Halloween Mapping Contest - Post your WIP images here!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by yahodahan, Sep 30, 2014.

1. KezzB

KezzB

Thanks for the helpful feedback inko! :)

2. yahodahan

yahodahan

You could also use Prototype (free tool) if that makes a difference? Thanks for all the in-depth critiques!

Maybe for the next contest, I'll make it open to anything and everything, not just ProBuilder/Prototype. As long as all meshes and made by the map author, it's perfectly fine really :)

3. KezzB

KezzB

So, while I like the map I've built so far, it really wasn't on theme to the point that I wanted. And as the purpose of this comp for me is a learning exercise and Gabriel kindly extended the deadline, I'm going to put together something different so I can achieve the "spooky" goal I set out with.

I asked my partner "How can I make my map spooky", and he suggested, "Why don't you do an Evil Dead style cabin in the woods instead?" I thought that was a pretty good idea, so I'm giving it a whirl.

I'm still using everything I've learned since the start of the comp process, which has been a lot. But I'll finish the map from my last shots another time and work on this to try and get that Halloween theme down.

This is this afternoon's work, keeping it simple so I can build fast:

The trees are made with ProBuilder - I thought it would be fun to see if I could do that.

So I'm going to add detail, make the house less blocky, tweak the lighting, try to add light beams through the windows, and see where I'm at then.

4. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

That looks great KezzB!

@inko, thanks for the feedback, most appreciated! SHot1.jpg screen2.jpg screen5.jpg screen6.jpg screen4.jpg

Here is my entry, I have to move on to other projects and have no more time to dedicate to this now. I have really enjoyed creating the environments with ProBuilder and look forward to using it again in future challenges.

Web Player can be found here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26220673/JayMolloy/JayMolloy.html

WASD for movement
    F key for Flashlight

Good Luck All
    Jay

5. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

fun. any more web players to try?

6. yahodahan

yahodahan

@KezzB- Thanks for letting us know, and I really like the look of that cabin- Evil Dead is the perfect theme choice. Looking forward to that, one more day left! :)

@BucketMonkey- gave the webplayer a run, nice effects with the lightening and volumetric lights! Definitely a tense, spooky feel to the scene, the lighting really adds to that. Lightmapping might help fill in some areas as well? My only major critique would be that so much of the map is pitch black, very hard to see.

7. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

@yahodahan Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, it is pretty dark. I added the flash light to help with this, but the range on it is quite short.

8. StonePaleAle

StonePaleAle

@inko - Thanks! The house was from Psycho. I did update the window textures, added some lighting, and had 'mother' standing in the other window. Wanted to leave that as a surprise. :)

But - work has taken all of my time the past four weeks, and I was unable to complete the level. :(

@KezzB - Love the cabin!! The Evil Dead movies are great. Looking forward to running around in that level!

@Bucket Monkey - Those screen shots look amazing! Going to take a whirl in the web player soon.

@yahodahan - I'll claim that WIP prize once I complete a map for another one of your contests. :) Thanks for doing these! Did I mention how much I love the new UV Editor? ;)

9. yahodahan

yahodahan

Well, that's it for time folks! Could everyone send me a webplayer and their best screenshots, at 1920x1080 or 1280x720?

Thanks everyone!

10. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hmm, BucketMonkey was the only one I received a full map from :( That's really sad, because I was really hoping to check out what KezzB and StonePaleAle created! Let me know if you keep going on those, and keep a WIP blog?

So, hereby announcing BucketMonkey winner of this mini-contest, full ProCore Bundle is yours!

Kezzb and StonePaleAle, if there are any tools we make that you don't yet have, feel free to choose one and let me know- I'll add it directly to your account at the "ProCore Usertoolbox" (www.procore3d.com/usertoolbox).

Thanks folks! It's always great to see people creating with the tools, and participating in this "contests". Hopefully we can drag more people in next time, as well!

99thmonkey likes this.
  11. KezzB

KezzB

Sorry mate, right in the last little window I got smashed by the first proper flu I've had in ages. Knocked me flat over the period of time I'd set aside to finish up what I had. :(

I do plan to complete as I hate to leave things unfinished, however I have a bunch of other commitments lined up that I have to work through first.

If you'd like to take a look at anything I've posted pics of, like the PB made trees for example, I'm happy to send through to you as is.

Thanks so much for the offer of an extra tool. I've had my eye on ProGroups for a while now as it seems like a super useful asset. I'd very much love to have a copy!

12. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

Thanks @yahodahan really appreciate the prize. Such a shame no one else submitted content, I was looking forward to seeing how both entries turned out.

Thanks again for the great tools, I hope to participate in any future competitions, and would love to see more people enter.

All the best everyone.
    Jay

13. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

@KezzB Sorry to hear you was hit by the flu, would love to see some more of your level when you can continue working on it!
    Cheers Jay

14. yahodahan

yahodahan

@KezzB ouch, sorry to hear! Definitely "that time" for such things...had it myself fairly recently. No fun.

I'll try to keep on eye on your other WIP thread, feel free to send out updates to us via "@ProBuilder3d" on twitter as well!

@Bucket Monkey very welcome, I'll have to build up proper hype for future competitions, to pull in a full crowd :)