Search Unity

"The Mappening" Halloween Mapping Contest - Post your WIP images here!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by yahodahan, Sep 30, 2014.

1. yahodahan

yahodahan

UPDATE: Deadline EXTENDED till November 12th!

note: we have previously posted these "mapping contests" in the Showcase forum, but several users pointed out the WIP forum makes better sense. Mods, please advise me if I should change this :)

"The Mappening" Halloween Mapping Contest is LIVE!

... (live, I tell you!)

We are long overdue for another Mapping Contest, and Halloween is always a great theme- perfect timing, and we hope to see many people participate this month!

The theme for this contest, naturally, will be "Horror", with an emphasis on old-fashioned, classic style (but not required). Cabins in woods, dark catacombs, haunted cathedrals, and sinister, gloomy mansions, or anything else you can imagine that might terrify easily-spooked children and questionably-grown adults.

Moving on to the specifics:

Timeline: October 1st through November 3rd
    (that's right- I'm giving you time to push through that Halloween-hangover, and finish up by Monday night!)

Prize: Fame and Glory! Also, the following:
    1st: ProCore Complete Bundle
    2nd: ProBuilder
    3rd: Any other single tool we offer!

WIP Prizes will also be given out every week, for the best WIP images!

Rules are fairly simple:
    1) DO talk about The Mappening
    2) Honestly, please do talk about The Mappening, and spread the word!

...ahem.

1) Your map must be primarily made with Prototype or ProBuilder. You can download Prototype for free, just for the contest! Here's the link: http://bit.ly/10l171V

2) Any detail meshes you use, must be your own, or available for free.

3) You may use purchased textures, image effects, etc

Submitting Your Map:

Please submit:
    1) Webplayer running at 1280x720
    2) At least 5 screenshots, at 1280x720 or 1920x1080
    3) A list of all purchased items used in your scene
    4) Your Unity Forum name

Send these items to "contact@procore3d.com" with "The Mappening" in the subject.

Judging:

Maps will be judged based on adherence to the theme, look and design, as well as involvement with the WIP thread here- please post WIP shots, offer critique, and help encourage others!

Questions? Ask 'em here!

Good Luck Everyone, and Have Fun!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

:O one more contest, hope to see more participants on this one...
    i have much less time now, but ill try to make something cool!
    Good luck for other participants!

3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks zertrax, great to have you onboard again!

4. Rolling101

Rolling101

Do we need to post our wip here or make our own thread?

5. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

What's part of the weekly giveaways?? Also, should we use UFPS for our controller?

6. yahodahan

yahodahan

You'll need to post your WIP here, yes. That way everyone can easily see all the progress and awesome that is happening, in once place.

Feel free to create a separate thread with full info/etc, however, if you'd like to also do that, and just post images + link here :)

7. yahodahan

yahodahan

Not sure yet! Depends how good the WIPs are- anything from smaller tools, to full ProBuilder licences :)

8. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

This sounds great, I'm in between projects so should be able to take part. Been waiting for an excuse to jump into the new features of ProBuilder :)

9. yahodahan

yahodahan

Awesome, good to have you back! :D

10. StonePaleAle

StonePaleAle

A couple very early WIP shots of a house for the map. All in PB (the lattice is a texture on a PB object).

Free imaginary cookies for whoever can guess which house it is based on. (Not a lot to go on, I know)

Absolutely loving the new UV Editor!

11. yahodahan

yahodahan

Wow, StonePaleAle, that's looking great!

Is it the Disney house that I also based mine on? Haha. Funny how recognizable that house is! (or maybe not, if I am wrong).

12. StonePaleAle

StonePaleAle

Thanks. :)

And almost. The houses are very close in design (it's what gave me the idea), but the Disney house has one extra floor. I'll have another update in a few days, and post the source if no one wins the imaginary cookies by then.

13. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

Awesome work so far StonePaleAle!

Here is my first WIP, around a hour or 2 of work. Taking dilapidated Asylums as a source of inspiration :)

jay_wip01.jpg

14. StonePaleAle

StonePaleAle

Bucket-Monkey likes this.
  15. KezzB

KezzB

Hi guys,

Loving the two sets of pics posted above. Amazing work!

For my entry, I just posted a pretty huge thread separately as I'm going to cover my whole process as I'm going along.

It's probably a bit overkill to put the whole lot in here, so all my info on what I've done so far and where I'm headed are at:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/my...pening-probuilder-mapping-competition.273413/

After testing a few things out I'm going with "Spooky Underground Crypt".

A couple of quick snaps (info on why it's simple and blocky at this stage in the thread).

Thanks for the comp guys - having fun and learning LOTS already!

StonePaleAle likes this.
  16. Archanor

Archanor

Hmm. I tried Prototype, but I can't seem to figure out on how to apply textures. I haven't checked yet, but is this somewhere in the manual?

17. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

Great work KezzB. Have posted in your own thread :)

KezzB likes this.
  18. TrickyHandz

TrickyHandz

@Archanor texturing is only available in ProBuilder as far as I am aware. Prototype is primarily designed to be a grey-boxing tool only.

19. KezzB

KezzB

Thanks Bucket Monkey! Looking forward to seeing more shots of your level also. :)

20. yahodahan

yahodahan

Sweet! This is looking good. Asylum is a great idea.

21. yahodahan

yahodahan

Great idea to create your own thread and take things a step further! :) This is looking good already, keep posting here for sure, and I'll be watching that thread as well :)

Thanks for joining in Kezzb!

KezzB likes this.
  22. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Archanor-

Actually, you CAN texture in Prototype now! We added that recently, but haven't....er...I forgot to make a big announcment about that, despite being a fairly big deal. Just drag-n-drop materials right onto PT objects. PB gives you much finer control/features/etc, but PT now has the basic ability.

Looking forward to you entry in the contest!!

23. TrickyHandz

TrickyHandz

@yahodahan Thanks for clarifying that! It's been a while since I messed around with Prototype so I wasn't aware of this functionality being added. I'm sure @Archanor can make much better use of Prototype now. Cool stuff!!

24. Archanor

Archanor

That's cool. I did actually try to drop some materials on what I sculpted, but I didn't find out how to scale or "fit" the texture, somewhat like I'd do in Hammer. Are the instructions updated on the new texture features?

I must say that it's a good idea to base the editor design on Hammer. I spent years making level in Hammer, even if it had its issues. It was very intuitive and easy to build stuff.

I might give it another shot, even if I don't have as much time now, as I started a small game project.
    At the moment I'm also working on some space-station / sci-fi textures.. Anyone have ideas on how I would make a sci-fi halloween map? :D

25. KezzB

KezzB

Hey guys,

Just wondering if you're still planning to do the weekly WIP giveaway as you go along?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  26. StonePaleAle

StonePaleAle

Having a lot of fun realizing how much of an artist I am not. ;)
    Finally found some time. Here is the latest.

27. KezzB

KezzB

Wow, looking sensational! Awesome atmosphere you've generated.

Sure looks like the WIP of an artist to me!

28. StonePaleAle

StonePaleAle

@KezzB - Thanks! :) I am more of a code monkey, and have a hard time creating something visual on my own.
    Hopefully we'll get to see some more of your amazing crypt soon!

29. janpec

janpec

Cool its nice to see those contests coming up with Asset store prices.

30. yahodahan

yahodahan

Glad you like it! "Prototype" doesn't have any texture/UV control (other than adding textures), that's one of the "special" abilities we reserve for ProBuilder, here is a video:

As for making a space-haunted-house...I don't know, but I'm sure it could be done! :D Thanks for joining in, Archanor!

31. yahodahan

yahodahan

Yes! I'm sorry! I have an announcement coming in just a sec...

32. yahodahan

yahodahan

Wow, great work! Definitely atmospheric. Did you even build those crazy trees with ProBuilder??

33. yahodahan

yahodahan

Weekly Winners: Everyone!
    Since I didn't have time to choose a winner for any of the weeks yet, everyone who posted here is a winner!

Prize: 1 (one) Custom 3D Print! :eek:r: 1 (one) ProCore Utility Tool
    It occurred to me, that I should make some use of the MakerBot Replicator 2 I own. So, as a super-special prize, I will 3D print any personal 3D file of yours! (It must be your own 3D file, for legal reasons)

To collect your prize, just send me an email via "contact@procore3d.com", with the tool you wish to have or the 3D file I should print, plus any special info, and your choice of White, Black, or Clear color for the print. Hooray!

Thanks for participating, and let me know if this 3D printed prize is a good idea- I'll do more of it! :)

34. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

Thanks Yahodahan, that's very cool of you!

35. KezzB

KezzB

Yay! :D

I was quietly hoping to get hold of Quick Decals to help with the map creation process. Awesome. :)

Will shoot an email over now. Thanks!

36. StonePaleAle

StonePaleAle

Wow. Nice.

Thanks! No - the trees were created with the Unity Tree Creator. I toned them down a bit. They were a little out of control. :)

37. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

Although my day job is sucking all my time, managed to get a little more done :)
    shot1.jpg

StonePaleAle likes this.
  38. KezzB

KezzB

Holy balls that's looking fantastic! More awesome atmosphere generation.

Do you mind if I ask, what did you use for the fog effect in the centre there?

39. StonePaleAle

StonePaleAle

40. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

41. KezzB

KezzB

Brilliant, thanks for the info Bucket Monkey!

42. yahodahan

yahodahan

Very cool, Bucket Monkey, and yes, thanks for sharing the info for all! :)

43. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

It's the weekend :) I can finally say goodbye to this DLC mission for my game and move on to secret stuff :)

Some small tweaks to lighting and shaders in the initial area, then on to the other parts of the level.

My laptop at home is soooo old it fails to run Unity at any capacity anymore :( So I can only work on this really in my lunch breaks at work from now on. Regardless, I am enjoying the challenge and loving working with the new ProBuilder tools. Well done to Yahadahan and all involved!

compwip1.jpg
    compwip2.jpg

44. KezzB

KezzB

That's looking amazing! Love the really "sunk in" grime and aged feel you've worked in. It gives it a really authentic feel.

Can't wait to run around in this. :)

StonePaleAle and Bucket-Monkey like this.
  45. yahodahan

yahodahan

Very cool! Sorry to hear your laptop is slowing you down...same problem here, ha.

Do we have any other contenders for the weekly WIP images? :)

46. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Sorry, i would join in but trying to finish a personal project. RedHawk here

47. Bucket-Monkey

Bucket-Monkey

Another quick update. I'm running out of time fast :)
    screen2.jpg

StonePaleAle, KezzB and TrickyHandz like this.
  48. KezzB

KezzB

Looking amazing Bucket Monkey! Sooooo cool. :D

Because I forgot to post a screen from my update last weekend:

And where I'm at at the end of today:

I've swapped out the sarcophagus for a sacrificial alter, and there are cells downstairs in the wings for unfortunate victims.

I'm not as progressed as I'd hoped to be unfortunately due to work, and as there were some (possible) bugs that soaked up a tonne of my time.

There's still a lot of placeholder stuff in there, and extra detail geometry and texturing to do as well as above ground trees, a little terrain sculpting and some lighting tweaks.

Nonetheless, even if I don't make the competition end I've learned absolutely heaps from the process so far which was my primary motivation.

Your map is way more on theme than mine so far Bucket Monkey and super polished - clearly you've put in a lot of work and the map looks great, so my vote goes to you for the win. :)

49. yahodahan

yahodahan

Wow, beautiful work guys/gals! :D

I've been too busy to properly keep up to date with everything, so am extending the deadline 1 week, just in case anyone would like to add more to this! :)

50. inko

inko

It really is a shame that this is a ProBuilder only challenge. Would have loved to join in. But I get the reasoning ;)

@StonePaleAle
    That house is awesome! Love pretty much everything about it! Some pale light shining from the inside, illuminating a vague siluet or something like that would be nice. The lighting feels a little flat atm and a little more work with shadows and multiple point lights could do a lot to the atmosphere. You still did a fantastic job though!

@BucketMonkey
    Pretty darn impressive work! I particularly like that screenshot with the atrium and the railing. Lots of fancy detail. The overall lighting and some of the material definition could definitely use some more work though as its very hard to tell from where the light is actually coming from and what that circular thing in the ceiling is. (a lamp maybe?)

@KezzB
    Reminds me a lot of halo. And I really like halo, so that’s not a bad thing at all. Don't find it particularly spooky though. It has a very outworldy feel to it so maybe some kind of Cthulhu direction would fit it nicely?
    The last screenshot is literally pitch black with a couple of yellow spots for me. I'm at my work pc atm and that thing is usually a little darker but that should never happen.
    Keep in mind, a black screenshot isn't scary :D Try to play with light and shadow a little more. Add irregular point lights that cast odd shadows. Maybe add some particles?

Keep it up guys! Looking forward to see more progress :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014