Search Unity

The Heist

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Spy-Shifty, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Spy-Shifty

Spy-Shifty

What’s The Heist?
    The Heist
    is a multiplayer third-person stealth action strategy game.
    Cops and robbers is probably one of the most famous game from childhood. The Heist accesses this gameplay, turning the cinch in an action-packed and challenging game experience for the PC.

What’s the aim of the game?
    The player can choose between thief and guard. In 4 vs 4 multiplayer modes, the thieves have to consider an appropriate strategy to steal one of several treasures. Whereas the guards have to protect them all. Therfore guards and thieves have access to an arsenal of different gadgets.

How does the world look like?
    In absolute darkness brighten only the flashlights of the players and the moonlight that falls through the windows, the rooms. About air shafts, various hiding places or acrobatic movements along walls, the thieves have to try to achieve their goal undetected. There are several ways to evade the guards and escape. If once the target is within your reach, it still needs to be brought to safety. But beware, it could be an ambush!

What I have to do?
    Because the guards are on guard! They may not know what the item is the target. But they have some little helpers such as alarms, cameras and motion sensors to track down the thieves. Once they found you, the guards have to arresting you. Are all thieves caught and the article safely stowed in its place, the guards did everything right. But beware, the thieves can liberate each other again!

Visit us on our developer blog at: TheHeist.org

On Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiGopGAX4Uy0wKhf_zp1AAA
    On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BrokenBricksStudios/
    On Twitter: https://twitter.com/BBS_GameDev

Smoke Bomb Equipment

PREVIEW OF THE UPCOMING HIDE SYSTEM

THE COVER SYSTEM

Visit us on TheHeist.org
    Facebook: @BrokenBricksStudios

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  2. Ronald_McScotland

Ronald_McScotland

This sounds like a really fun game idea. I also really like the cover system - I imagine a lot of people making shooter games would be interested in it if you had any plans to release it on the asset store.

3. Spy-Shifty

Spy-Shifty

It's not a shooter. We plan a rubber projectile weapon for the guards but no real weapon at all!
    It will be a commercial project. So no release for the asset store.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I agree with Ronald - the cover system is really cool.
    What he was suggesting was - in addition to working on your game, you might consider stripping out the cover system and making it a stand along package to sell to other people on the asset store. Mostly - people developing shooters or stealth games would be interested in this cover system. You'd probably get some requests to add shooting mechanics to the pack, however you would not be obligated to incorporate shooting mechanics into it.

Could be a nice revenue generator while you continue developing your game.

Nice work so far!

Rombie likes this.
  5. sowatnow

sowatnow

Sounds interesting.

I think the animations are from mixamo, so I don't think re-sale of these animations are allowed. Maybe worth speaking to mixamo about it.

6. zenGarden

zenGarden

This is a very similar test character as the popular one from UE4 :p

7. Spy-Shifty

Spy-Shifty

Oh well yes. I totally misunderstood that. Maybe it was a little bit too late in the night :D

Yes the animations and the prototype character are from Mixamo. I’ll think about this idea to release the cover system on the asset store. But for this I have to decouple the system a little bit more.
    The problem will be the animations from mixamo like sowatnow said.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

In the future - if you decide to decouple the cover system to develop it for the asset store - let me know, send me a PM and we can discuss replacing the animations for the pack. ;)

Looking forward to the next game update!

9. Mister-D

Mister-D

u have a computer voice :D

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. Spy-Shifty

Spy-Shifty

Still in progress, but we won’t hide that from you. This is one possible thief build of many buids. Its the highpoly model with up to 1 million vertex for rendering purpose.

After the highpoly is finished Andrè will build a lowpoly version with around 8000 vertex. So that the gameengine can handle many models. All the details form the highpoly model will be baked to some textures on the lowpoly, like Normal- and Occlusionmaps. In the last step we use Quixel to attach the final look. So that we can archive a really good looking model, thats ready for the physically based rendering technique used by Unity 3D.

To show you how powerfull quixel is… Ok… Just take a look at this video from Quixel and you’ll see what I mean!

[Source: Quixel]

Visit us on Theheist.org

11. Spy-Shifty

Spy-Shifty

In the last month we redesigned the scripts for all the motions and actions we did so far. Now we have a more light weight, more maintainable and more modular version of code.

State Machine:
    The motion system is now a part of the animation state machine. We had some synchronization problems with the logical states and the animation states in the past. With this approach we solved that problem, because it’s now one system. Additionaly we are able to debug the code visually. So now we can see in wich state what happens and where the bug is located in the system. Moreover it’s far easier to managing, structuring and extending the logic.

The image shows the current animation state machine with its main substate machines for the standard motion, the cover system, the hiding system, the manhole motion system and the airborne animation state as well as its transition connections. In the Inspector window are the logical transition ability to transit from the StandardMotion substate machines to the other main substate machines. The logical motion ability is also visible.

E.g. we want to add the ability to climb a ledder. In the past there was a single script for the motionsystem. So I had to add a logical state machine and the transitions to and from the other state machines to it. The same for the animation and the camera control.
    In the new system I simply add my animation states and do my transitions connections. Then I add the logic moduls directly to the animation states, e.g. motion control and camera settings (like position and rotation constrains). At the end I add the logical transition abilities to that state machines from there i can transit to my new climb ledder state machine. And that’s it. Sounds complicated, but it isn’t ;)

The Equipment System:
    The next task on the to-do list was to rework the equipment system. My approach was to design a system that’s modular as well and can be configered for the most parts in the editor. We end up with this:

It’s full modular and extendable. The Inspektor on the right shows the configuration of the player with the Equipment Controller and two assigned equipments. The Inspektor in the middle shows the configuration of the truncheon equipment item. It has some modules for spawning objects, setup animation configuration and damage settings. Because it’s modular we can easily extend or change the behaviour of a equipment. The left Inspector window shows the truncheon object that’s used by the equipment and is assigned to the GameObjectEB component in the middle Inspector.

This image shows the extensibility through the editor by adding existing behaviours or just creating new ones through the editor.

Visit us on TheHeist.org