Search Unity

(OLD)The Dwarves - Bearded People Sim

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by neler93, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neler93

neler93

Moderator please close this thread!

www.thedwarves.org

Alpha 3

So, what is “The Dwarves”?

Well, let me tell you. The Dwarves is a free sandbox fantasy game with elements of role-playing and real-time strategy games. With every new game, player starts in a randomly generated world and one single dwarf. After choosing where will his dwarf spawn in the world, the player takes control of the dwarf and can do whatever he desires. Every block in the game is usable in its own way. That means, if you hold-click on dirt, stone, grass, sand etc. your dwarf will start digging, or if you click on wild berries you dwarf will gather them and so on…

That doesn’t sound so fun… ?

No it does not. But there is more to it. As your dwarf digs more holes and slowly begins to build his new underground (or “aboveground”) home, more dwarves will appear. When that happens player can just press one button and the RTS part of the game begins. No more he controls his starting dwarf but he becomes “Lord of the Dwarves”.

Does that mean I can no longer play as that bearded fella? Lame.

No! Completely opposite! You are supposed to play as him all along. As your population and your city/cave/whatever grows, your dwarves slowly fade from tribe of dozen to a civilization of thousands. When that happens, the dwarves will choose their new king to lead them to great riches and victories. That is when the real game starts.

So, I will be able to have my own dwarven civilization in this game.?

Yes. You will have your own little digital kingdom and you can do with it whatever you want. You can raise armies and conquer other races or you can make a huge trading giant or even a mining type of kingdom. Whatever you choose your dwarves will still live their lives in their own way.

Well, that all sounds interesting, but is that all?

Absolutely not! The Dwarves is a complex game. It may sound easy to manage the kingdom of dwarves but, believe me, it isn’t. Every dwarf of yours has its own needs. Some want better commodities while others want better food, Etc, etc… It means that you must keep your dwarves happy if you want them to stay with you. You must keep them well fed and protected from the weather if you don’t want them to die.

There are many more things to be said, but this post can never be big enough for all that to put in it. The Dwarves is a simulation game where players DO have great impact on the game, and where every players action counts towards the end game.

Still everyone must understand that The Dwarves is the game developed solely by me. That means it may take time for game to get updated, and while I will surely write often here posting updates about the current work that have been done, I can not tell you when will first playable release happen.

So, The Dwarves is absolutely free to play game! That means, no microtransactions, no paying, no sh*t! Absolutely free to play for everyone and anyone!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    caseyatbric likes this.
  2. iKonrad

iKonrad

Well, if the game is just like you've described then I'm on it! I like weird games.

Count me in for an alpha testing. Mac/Win.

3. neler93

neler93

The first trailer of The Dwarves is live!

Enjoy it and please, do not hesitate to leave your feedback! :)

caseyatbric and IAmCraigSnedeker like this.
  4. neler93

neler93

Well, one well spent week is now behind us and many things have been done regarding The Dwarves. With every passing day we are getting closer to our first public build of the game.
    So, let us recap what have been done.
    First things first, the main menu.

The Dwarves main menu contains things that you would usually find in most games. Not much there to say, really.
    The next big thing is aging of the dwarves. Now, with every passed day in-game your dwarves will age and get older. When they reach certain “life milestones” they will age with their skills and their looks. Take a look at the image below.

So, your dwarves age and when they reach old age, random death chances increase, and with every new day in the “eldery phase” those chances increase even more, until the dwarf utterly dies.

The next big feature, still heavy WIP(Work in Progress), is wild life and creatures of the night. The world of The Dwarves is now filled with wild animals(currently only with three types of animals, but there are more to come).

The Dwarves will have to hunt down those magnificent animals, or capture them and “squish” products out of them, to keep themselves fed.
    An the last thing, well the last thins we implemented recently are, Zwarves…

5. TheRaider

TheRaider

I love the zwarves!

This game certainly promises a lot. If you can deliver your description this could well be very interesting to play. It sounds like it will be hard to balance to keep it complex while still being simple and fun to play.

Good luck!

6. Ocid

Ocid

Moar Dwarves is always good.

Sounds like an interesting concept. I'll keep an eye on this one.

7. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Looks awesome :)

8. neler93

neler93

9. C-Screator

C-Screator

nice looks like something that could be Something. Keep up the good work :)

10. caseyatbric

caseyatbric

This looks awesome! What is the size and resolution of some of your art piece?.

11. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

This is awesome. The graphics are just as they should be. Sure fancy shiny & photo realistic graphics and such are nice to look at. But in reality all the graphics in a game need to do is get the point across of where you are at and what you are doing. The focus should be on the actual game-play. Now this looks like it will be a ton of fun! Looking forward to experiencing it firsthand! Keep up the excellent work! Zwarves! Nice! lol =)

12. neler93

neler93

Well I mainly use 64x64 size for sprites. It is easier for me to draw in pixels. :)

AndrewGrayGames and caseyatbric like this.
  13. caseyatbric

caseyatbric

I am in the process of an idea with similar looks and I was wondering what sizes you used. This looks amazing keep up the awesome work! Where do you make your maps if you don't mind me asking aswell?

14. neler93

neler93

Everything is made by hand using Photoshop CC. :) I mean, everything. :)

caseyatbric likes this.
  15. caseyatbric

caseyatbric

Wow! Great job!

16. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

If I had $1 for every pixel in this game, I'd have $4.

Deleted User likes this.
  17. neler93

neler93

You lucky guy. :)

18. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Me too! I think 64x64 is the best balance one can get between being small and expressive. 32x32 is really small and hard to see. 128x128 is more work, but unfortunately does not necessarily translate to more room for detail, except in certain circumstances. 64x64 just 'feels' like a generally good fit for most situations.

19. neler93

neler93

So, just a little heads up, the game is awaiting approval for release! ;)

20. neler93

neler93

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  21. neler93

neler93

22. neler93

neler93

23. neler93

neler93

Hey there guys! While we are awaiting our Alpha 3 release, we need few people to help us test our Linux and Mac versions of the game! Anyone interested, contact me! :)

24. neler93

neler93

The Dwarves: Fantasy Simulator Alpha 3 has been released! Head over to IndieDB.com to download it!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  25. Serinx

Serinx

Hey the game looks awesome!

I'd probably find this out by playing the alpha.. You said dwarves will grow old and die, but what happens when your player gets old and dies? Or is he immortal and keeps respawning?

Keep at it!

26. neler93

neler93

Right now we are in the phase of redoing the whole game design that we followed. We are introducing multiplayer in the next release and would like to expand our mechanics toward networking also. I can not give you appropriate answer, but the player would probably just be immortal, for the sake of gameplay mechanics. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.