Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

The Blocking Dead (FREE physics puzzler for iOS)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by echoic, Nov 23, 2015.

1. echoic

echoic

My second iOS game has been out for a few weeks. It's a zombie-themed, physics puzzler. I would come up with some sort of spiel about how it's addicting and fun and why you should download it, but I'm completely drained of energy. It's getting single-digit downloads per day, and my sister makes more money reselling glitter on Etsy.

/shrug, such is life

Download here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-blocking-dead/id867733591?mt=8

Just tell me what you think will help my next app stand out, if I do to continue to make apps.

Thanks, people!

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Being rubbish at marketing, and breaking one of the golden rules of indie game dev: take a week or 2 off after completing it then do marketing properly. You were burned out and skipped marketing, which means it will sink to rock bottom unless it goes viral.

The game looks fun enough, but the icon seems cheap, even uses colours that do not pop. The blurb isn't anything different to all the usual stuff out there. Nobody will notice it, but that's OK, you can use this title to learn how to make them stand up and notice.

Taking a break after dev is pretty much an essential thing, otherwise you make decisions in a bad frame of mind, or you rush it, and that ruins a lot of time spent developing.

The Blocking Dead doesn't sound too terrible as a name, it's a nice stab at cashing in. Use this title to experiment and find ways to attract downloads for your next one.

JamesLeeNZ and echoic like this.
  3. echoic

echoic

You're right, the icon is weak, as is the level select screen (ugly actually, but I didn't include a screenshot of that). Plus, I don't have an app preview video, and I did no marketing whatsoever because I was so burnt out (plus was rushing to get it out before Halloween).

Lesson learned. Just because an app is done doesn't mean it's ready for release.

Schneider21 and hippocoder like this.
  4. Schneider21

Schneider21

Great advice from hippo, but this:
    will forever remain my favorite quote describing true indie game development. Expect to be quoted on Twitter soon.

Not having played it yet, I think you have a decent game that just needs polished up a bit. The store screenshots (which I always look through in their entirety before reading anything) don't really make it clear how the game is played, which isn't necessarily terrible, but that's your opportunity to grab people's attention. Try to show a bit more excitement/intensity, I'd think.

Worst case, learn and move on to the next one when you're ready. Try, Iterate, Improve, Repeat. Congrats on finishing and releasing a game, though!

echoic likes this.
  5. echoic

echoic

Haha...well thanks for the Tweet! Anything helps at this point ;)