Search Unity

The Blacksmith Demo - Problems

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by arvzg, Jun 25, 2015.

1. arvzg

arvzg

Hi guys,

Is anyone else having some problems with the Blacksmith Demo?

• This is what happens to my computer when I import the Environments unitypackage
      (Please click on the image below to see the full image. It's bizarre.)

My computer doesn't 100% freeze up, but is almost unusable and it's impossible to close all of the Windows that appear.​

• After I restarted, I tried again, and it worked the next time but it took just about 1 hour to import the Environment unitypackage. I was expecting the large 4GB+ unitypackage to take a while to import, but not quite this long, especially considering I am running Unity 5.1.1 on a Samsung 850 Evo SSD. The unitypackage and the project folder was also in the same drive. This is probably just the way it is for everyone, but seems a bit.. not right.. that it would take so long.
    • It seems the Environmments unitypackage and the Characters unitypackage are not compatible with one another when both imported to the same project. I got multiple duplicated files that stopped the project from compiling, and when I tried deleting them to make it work I got script missing warnings.

I figured maybe I got a bad download, and redownloaded it again, and upon reimporting I got the first (multi-window duplicating) problem again. Then I thought... hell, maybe it's just my computer? so I tried it again on a different computer and again got the multi-duplicating window problem

I am using Unity 5.1.1, running Windows 8.1 (But the other computer I was using was Win 7).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  2. wolferey

wolferey

I got the same problem, had it on Unity 5.0 and still have it on Unity 5.1 now on Windows 7. Happens on anything I try to import from the asset store. Same stuff with every application (even services that don't usually have windows, like nvidia drivers, spotifywebhelper etc. gets a taskbar window): https://twitter.com/wolferey/status/590304914783469569

Get it the moment it finishes download and tries to decompress/import the package. The bigger it is, the more likely it will freak out.

3. arvzg

arvzg

I suppose this means the problem isn't specifically with the Blacksmith demo, but can happen with any unitypackage from the asset store, specifically very large ones?

Elaha over at Unity Answers is also having the same problem

4. robert

robert

Wow, that sounds incredibly annoying.

@arvzg Have you tried importing any other asset store packages with 5.0 or 5.1? If not, could I maybe ask you to give this package a try and let us know, if the same thing happens?

5. arvzg

arvzg

I quite regularly play around with assets from the asset store and have never seen this happen on any other asset. But then again I've never downloaded one that was this large.

As @wolferey said he's seen it happen on other files, so it seems it's not only on the Blacksmith environment demo only, but can happen for any large unitypackages.

Will try that package later and let you know how I go

6. wolferey

wolferey

So, I tried the package, crashed. Tried uninstalling both unity 4 and 5, remove every folder in program files and all the unity appdata (local, localrow, roaming) and just install unity 5, now its about 50/50 it seems. The larger the package, the higher the risk of it happening. Things like cInput (8mb) and the corridor lighting example (130mb) worked fine, the blacksmith environment crashed once but then worked on my second second try, medieval environment pack (~850mb) crashed.

When it crashes might be different for @arvzg but for me it definitely seems to be happening at the tail end of decompressing package and before the import window shows up. How it crashes seems to be the same thought, like arvzg and Elaha where all the apps in process of my OS appears and it "soft locks".. you can move your mouse, flash videos keep on playing, audio still going.. but you can't close anything or do much at all so its pretty unusable and you just gotta hit the restart button.

7. arvzg

arvzg

Yeah the corridor lighting example package worked just fine for me. But then again the problem only happens some of the time and not every time

8. BillO

BillO

I downloaded "The Blacksmith: Environments" after installing latest version of Unity. The "Blacksmith" scene only shows a "Behaviour is missing" script error on the Main Camera. There is no name, it just shows (Script) "The associated script cannot be loaded." in the Inspector. The demo runs fine despite this issue.

The "Bridge_small_02" shows a Missing Prefab in the Hierarchy. I have no clue what that should be. This scene also shows a number of "Behaviour is missing" errors. The "Camera - Midday FPS" within "RenderingPresets" shows (Script) "The associated script cannot be loaded.", "Camera - NoSun" shows "Antialiasing" (Script) Technique (FXAA1 Preset A) "This AA technique is currently not supported. Choose a different or disable the effect and use MSAA instead. The same error occurs on "Camera - Sunset", "Camera - Sunset_02", "Camera - Afternoon", "Camera - Midday 2" and "Camera - Midday 3". I couldn't locate "MSAA" within the dropdown list and the others didn't remove the error message. This demo also runs fine.

Should the other "Blacksmith" assets be loaded in separate projects to avoid conflicts? Prior to reinstalling Unity 5 and "The Blacksmith: Environments" from scratch, I tried installing "The Blacksmith: Characters" into the same project as "The Blacksmith: Environments", but it produced countless errors when trying to run any scenes.

The assets are great and truly showcase the capabilities of Unity, but getting them to run properly can be a challenge. It would be nice to know what other assets are required along with these demo. For example, should the "The Blacksmith: Atmospheric Scattering" be loaded into the same project as "The Blacksmith: Environments" or will that produce more errors?

Any insights from others would be appreciated.

9. Silvia-Rasheva

Silvia-Rasheva

Unity Technologies

@BillO:

Should the other "Blacksmith" assets be loaded in separate projects to avoid conflicts?

- Yes please.

...should the "The Blacksmith: Atmospheric Scattering" be loaded into the same project as "The Blacksmith: Environments" or will that produce more errors?
    - "The Blacksmith: Environments" already contains Atmospheric Scattering, so no need to load one on top.

Regarding the missing prefab and other errors you've been getting: glad to hear they didn't prevent you from using the package. We're working on it some more and will re-upload it.

10. MS80

MS80

I have exaclty the same problem! (Unity 5.1.1p2 Win7 64bit, but same issue with older Unity versions)

It happens to me every single time when I import huge assets from the asset store (like NaturePack, Blacksmith demo, UnityLab, etc.). What I do then is to use the task manager to kill all those opened applications, but in most situations I have to restart the PC.

This is really annoying, it feels like a virus. I hope someone knows how to fix it?!
    Till now I was not able to import Blacksmith environment! :(

Unity_import_asset_issue.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Wouldn't it be sort of cool to bring some of the blacksmith into standard assets?

RealSoftGames likes this.
  12. MS80

MS80

Hi Robert, this asset was imported without any problems!
    From my experience this happens if asset packs are bigger than 1-2GB.

13. MS80

MS80

14. Binary42

Binary42

It is indeed a VERY old bug. However it occurs only when the Unity Window looses focus, you can still import large assets when you don't switch to another application during import.

15. MaT227

MaT227

Hi everyone,

I am very happy that Unity released all assets seen in their fantastic demo : The Blacksmith
    But I would like to know where I can find the models and textures of the glowing stones and the metal mask.
    If anybody knows, I'll be glad to know too. :)

Thank you very much.

16. arvzg

arvzg

I don't mean to be rude, but please don't hijack the thread. This is about problems with the package only. If you have a request feel free to start a new thread!

Let's stay on topic!

17. MaT227

MaT227

Sorry about that, I've started a new thread and some people and a moderator redirected me to this thread and some other.
    I am just trying to get an answer. Anyway, again all my apologies about my off topic post.

18. looki666

looki666

Same problem , with big assets packages .

19. robert

robert

We don't have a fix for this just yet, but here's the bug in the public issue tracker, so you can know in which Unity version it'll get fixed. (And vote for fixing it in the meantime.)

arvzg likes this.
  20. gilley033

gilley033

I've gotten the crazy window opening bug before, but also have seen the following error multiple times. I tried leaving the Unity Editor focused this last time with no change.

21. tawdry

tawdry

I am still trying to dl it thought i had it once but it was incomplete so wiped the appdat and now it does not dl all it does is make a temp file eventually throw an error and nothing then exists .

22. Vaupell

Vaupell

yep,, Almost December and no solution to the problem ?

23. ariessilverstar

ariessilverstar

Hi Im new to unity and I loaded the asset and I have several errors loading such as:

Assets/Features/Vegetation/VegetationSystem.cs(611,5): error CS0103: The name `Profiler' does not exist in the current context

There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/Features/AtmosphericScattering/Shaders/StandardMaskyMixScatterSpecularSurface.shader' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Many text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.

Inconsistent LOD naming (_LOD1 found but no _LOD0).

There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/Standard Assets/Effects/ImageEffects/NewImageEffects/Tonemapping/TonemapperLog.shader' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Many text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.

Is there any way to fix this? Is it possible it's something Im doing wrong with setup?

24. redmugstudios

redmugstudios