Search Unity

That was the last time I submitted an asset to the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sykoo, May 28, 2015.

1. Sykoo

Sykoo

OK, I'm done with publishing my assets to the Asset Store, I'll from now on only sell the manually via Sellfy like I do with my latest asset SurvivalEngine 2!

So for about a month ago, I started the development of my new asset called SurvivalEngine 2, which obviously is a sequel to my earlier asset called SurvivalEngine. It took me two days to polish the asset as greatly as possible in for the submission to the Asset Store, but I had already started selling the asset on Sellfy.

My previous asset, SurvivalEngine, was not accepted to the Asset Store due to a few issues:
    - The boxshot etc. lacked quality
    - The asset was a little too simple
    - Lastly, the asset did not include any high-quality documentation on how to get it working

So I took that as a feedback, and before submitting SurvivalEngine 2, I decided I'll take one extra day to write all the documentations that are necessary.

I wrote 4 different DOCX files, three fairly simple and one very in-depth. (Introduction of myself and contact information, the point of my asset, instructions on how to get it working and lastly every variable in the inspector menu described literally)

Now that the 2/3 reasons of why my asset's prequel was declined were fixed, I had one left - to make sure that the asset is not simple. SurvivalEngine 2 is not only a little script that you drag over, it's a whole new framework in it's own unique way, which will help you develop your Survival Games without any coding necessary. It'll let you change player settings such as movement speed, jump force, sprinting and enemy settings such as the health and same attributes like the player's. Then there is a weapon database, where you simply add a whole new weapon to your game + the inventory system presented in SurvivalEngine 2, with just a button click from the inspector! There is also an Animation ID system where you put the animation inside of a field, you receive an Integer (ID) for it and just call it from anywhere to play that animation! There are lots of other features and details that I won't dig further into, if you want to check the asset's details out, please click here!

So I made sure that everything that was 'wrong' with my previous asset, was 'right' on this one! I was so sure and confident that it'd make it up to the Asset Store, because not only that it's very handy and incredibly easy to use for such a cheap price - but it's also unique! I haven't seen any assets out there yet that helps you develop a Survival Game with such features.

I waited exactly 20 days before receiving an answer, had to mail the Asset Store admin's 3 times to understand what 'you'll receive an answer shortly' means. No offense to the Support Team though, they work very well and they answered my questions pretty quickly. Even though I had to wait 20 days (whilst it says 5 days on the submission page, and 14 days maximum), I thought that the asset was going well, but even if it didn't make it up there I'd get a very nice message over why my asset was declined.

And right after mailing Asset Store's admins for the 3rd time, I received a new mail with the title:
    "Unity Asset Store package 'SurvivalEngine 2 - 1.6' has been declined (case ...)"

Even though the bad message, I kept my head up and clicked on the mail to read their feedback that I was expecting after 20 days, and this is literally the only thing I received by them:

So... this is it? Really?
    It takes 20 days to review my submission of an asset that I put 2 weeks of effort, tears and time into and it's just that? I have absolutely no problem that it gets declined, the Asset Store is yours and you are the ones deciding what will be taking place there and not, but if a fellow developer gives 2 weeks into his asset (and by 2 weeks I don't mean that I coded 2 hours per day, but several), you could at least give some feedback to make it better...

Oh well, last time I ever submit something to the Asset Store...

Sorry for the long post, thank you guys if you read it until here!
    Once again, there is no offense intended in this message. I am just sad that I put 2 weeks of work, wait for the submission review to get done for 20 days and get no feedback whatsoever, that's very disappointing!

Thank you for your time.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    boysenberry likes this.
  2. Sykoo

Sykoo

I've now lowered the price of SurvivalEngine 2 from 10$ to 5$!

3. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

this has got me worrying for my asset now. there are loads of just one script barely any documentation things on the asset store. ive been declining extra shifts at my work to work on my asset and now this has really just made me rethink and regret my decision

4. Sykoo

Sykoo

If you enjoyed your time, you probably didn't 'waste' the time, just like I feel.
    Back to the point of my reply, yes - you're completely right! There are so many things that aren't downloaded nor bought, and they don't even have any information at all. But when we make big projects - they get declined!

Not only the fact that they get declined, we don't even receive any feedback to come back with an amazing asset...

This has to be taken seriously, people have to act now or else this issue will just keep getting worse.

5. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

not so much regret making i mean regret dedicating my time and money to it i mean i could have make £200 extra this month if i did those shifts but instead i chose to do what i love which is programming i just dont want to see my time and effort go to waste if i try and put it on the asset store. i dont plan on adding any fancy custom inspector stuff so i dont know if that will impact it or not. i mean i saw a script to open/close doors all it was is a trigger and a input and it was apparently hard enough to make to be put on yet your asset that looks like you spent alot of time making and had alot of people interested in does not it just seems strange to me

Sykoo likes this.
  6. Sykoo

Sykoo

Yep, I totally feel you! I study, and I took lots of time off school for this project yet for... not so much at all.
    My expectations were just like yours, and my reaction was like yours as well - it's strange. Because lots of people did get interested of my asset, but it's kinda weird the way Asset Store's admins act.

7. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

@Skykoo, my initial thought when I started reading this thread was that you were just having a dummy spit over not getting the outcome you wanted.

However, after getting to the end of your post, I can see that Unity has treated you very badly. The slow response and lack of detail on why they rejected your asset is very unfair.

The asset store is your best opportunity to make sales. So I think it is still in your own best interest to go back to the Asset store admins and ask for clarification on why they rejected your asset.

Good Luck, I hope you do well with your asset.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Sykoo likes this.
  8. DrDigg0R

DrDigg0R

This feedback from Unity you've received is a shame, if it is correct that Uniy don't pick Assets but only quality check them. Really rethinking if I shall release my Editor extension on the store. I can just code a dirty version for my own use as well and save a lot of time.

I've recognized this generic reply you postet in another thread als well I think. From my point of view a rejection should only be possible with at least one concrete reason.

Zaddo67 likes this.
  9. sicga123

sicga123

Unity don't give that much feedback because there are copious instructions on how to submit an asset, on what is expected from the modelling and the coding. These can be hard to find on the site and quite a few don't bother to look for them but they are there.. If you didn't follow those recommendations the Unity asset store team are not going to point out in detail what is wrong with the assets because all that is given in those recommendations and it is assumed you will have read them.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. DrDigg0R

DrDigg0R

Yeah, that's what I thought too - then I started watching some threads in this sub-forum here :p

11. sluice

sluice

So essentially, why was it refuse this time?

12. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

Since Unity already took the time to assess that the asset didn't comply with one of their criteria, they have already done the hard work, surely they could just note the reason in the rejection email.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  13. Sykoo

Sykoo

I understand and read the rules and requirements for the asset to get uploaded, but I honestly don't find an issue there connected to my asset...

14. lazygunn

lazygunn

2 weeks is not a large amount of time to spend on a project you wish to be high quality, well featured and genuinely desirable. If you are outraged at all this you should maybe have a think on the fact the asset store represents Unity themselves, unity wont hire extra staff just to look at your asset when its a growing market, enough sub-par assets clutter up searches and yes, its a shame it got turned down but if you think 2 weeks is some huge committment then thats kind of an insult to assets selling for not huge amounts that have had blood sweat and tears poured into them for months or years. I do see this as dummy spitting

Jaimi and theANMATOR2b like this.
  15. DrDigg0R

DrDigg0R

Yeah, pretty hard to discuss this topic without understate or accuse, but I think everybody would agree that each submission deserves at least a hint what could be improved or also the feedback that the asset will have no chance.

I think this brings it to the point:

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  16. Sykoo

Sykoo

My rant is not about the asset getting declined, if you had read my first post a bit more carefully you'd see...
    The fact that you compare it to how much time other people put in their asset is stupid in this situation, and that's where you misunderstood my point. I wanted at least a bit feedback, on how I can make it better so that it or any other asset I make in the future gets accepted. I don't blame the amount of time, I just blame how much time it took in relation to my main point.

17. Dantus

Dantus

I just had a look at the last video. When you hit play, there was a NullReferenceException. I don't know whether you submitted this version. However, if you have that issue in your submission as well, they have to reject it.

https://unity3d.com/asset-store/sell-assets/submission-guidelines
    It is out of question that there needs to be at least a pointer to why it was rejected. I know myself that it is not always easy to get an explanation. I would try to reply them friendly and ask them for actual reasons.

Jaimi, GameTechnix and theANMATOR2b like this.
  18. Sykoo

Sykoo

The NullReferenceException was due to an animation not being attached, but there was even a error message input to the asset, where it says now:

"Animation in layer [AnimationID] is missing, please attach an animation there or don't use it in any Animation ID field!"

Thank you very much for pointing it out, I just wish they had something like that, though that was not the problem. I mailed them, waiting for answer.

19. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Well - I don't know about you but two weeks is not exactly enough time to finish and polish and present an asset of any value - at least for me. I spent 6 months on my first game - then probably a year almost doing updates and fixes and tweaks... I've spent over two years on my current project already.

So - perhaps they just have high expectations of all the assets, and even if you worked hard for two weeks they want you to work hard for like, two months, just polishing the crap out of it.

I'm not trying to knock you, you might be a great coder and have really kicked a$$ over those two weeks lol - I'm just guessing why it hasn't been accepted.

20. Sykoo

Sykoo

Hey! I completely understand what you're saying, though this is my asset not a game.

Everyone who bought my asset via Sellfy, have been happy with what they got so far. They think that the asset is amazing, and right now I'm hired by a private customer to create his Survival Game, and I'm using my own framework (SurvivalEngine 2) there without any issues, and it's very helpful.

I totally see what you're saying, but the main point of my topic is the fact that they provide REALLY little amount of feedback :(

21. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Yeah I suppose they should specify what they'd like to see changed to help you get it fixed and ready to meet their standards. I've never published to the asset store but hope if I ever do that I can get approved :X

Sykoo likes this.
  22. Sykoo

Sykoo

I wish you the best of luck with that :)

23. IFL

IFL

@Sykoo - Wow. Remember this thread? They really seem to be sending purely generic emails to declined assets. I was probably spending around $90-100 on the Asset Store per month with a peak of around $300/mo. No more though. Asset store publishers are customers too. Good luck, Sykoo!

24. Sykoo

Sykoo

Yup, I do!
    I honestly did not think the amount of support given was that bad, before I actually received that too...
    I know, we're all a part of Unity's community, a bad response to me and anyone else means bad response to everyone here. Thank you very much :)

IFL likes this.
  25. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I like to give them the benefit of the doubt - you have to consider that with unity users growing into the millions, they must receive like 75% crap submissions to the store, and with limited staff reviewing them, with limited time, they probably have many decent assets slip under the radar and get rejected many times.

Then again I'm not sure if that's the case but I know UT loves us, and wants us to keep paying for assets and pro licenses and what not - so I'd hope they have simply overlooked assets too quickly or something rather than just gotten lazy and started rejecting anything that's not super duper awesome haha.

I'd say take another shot at it. Really just polish the crap out of the asset, format and pretty up the docs, and submit it again. Worst that can happen is they say no again, and you just keep selling on the sites your already using. Try to put yourself in the asset store reviewers shoes - what makes a good asset in your eyes? Then do that to your asset lol.

Either way - good luck!

26. Sykoo

Sykoo

Thank you very much for your bright-minded in-depth comment and feedback overall, I really appreciate it!
    I'll probably do that, because I don't want my asset to rot on a website that won't give me any sale bonuses nor get the name out there.

Thank you very much!

27. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I hope this time around they see the good quality and let you through!

Sykoo likes this.
  28. Sykoo

Sykoo

Thank you very much, I hope so too! :)

29. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

If you do - you need to change the title of this thread. ;)

Sykoo likes this.
  30. mben

mben

Amd whats happend? The asset make it in the asset store?

31. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

ok sykoo i feel your pain they have declined my asset twice now without any reason its ridiculus

32. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi Sykoo

It is indeed a great pain when you see a rejection, for any reason. Usually the reason can be as simple as a purple material in the scene.

Unity needs to make sure the quality of sumission is perfect, so the user wont come up against things that seem broken.

Also they need assets that know will sell, especially as the market grows.

My advise would be to redo your demo scene, with more appealing assets (you can use Unity own assets, like the Kyle robot for demo) and do pics/videos with the system like it would work in an actual game. Showcase what makes it special and the what is best about it.

Also make sure to handle the null reference errors (to the extend it is possible, some always slip :) , eventually it is good to have checks for everything) and have every material and action checked that works perfectly.

And check your code to see if anything may be wrong or could cause issues (like a component grab inside a loop etc). As a rule it is best to cache most things that will be used in update, to be on the safe side.

33. Sykoo

Sykoo

@mben Nope, it got rejected after the first submission, and I got hired to create a whole game, and then I also begun working on CiON, a new framework which I'll try my luck with on Asset Store! :)

@PvTGreg Yep, we're on the same train! I respect U.T for their work, and what they've done for the community so far - especially with Unity 5, but at least a single line of sentence where they quote the Guidelines so that we could focus on it next time would be awesome! :/

@nasos_333 You are completely right, and I also understand and show respect for that as Unity is, like you said, growing each day - they need products that are literally perfect to come up to the store. But what I would love is just a simple line of sentence, where they tell you just what's wrong.

As they do try the asset after you submit it, they look into it, and as soon as they find an issue they reject it. And what I'd love is that they just write the issue down, in very simple words - no exact line in script nor any details has to be given - and then they just tell if they've found anything else, again just very simply.

I also completely understand what you mean, I should also make sure that the asset works as it's supposed to, but like you said - some can slip. I'd really appreciate (I'm sure that a lot of asset developers would as well) to see just a simple reason to why the submission got rejected. That would not take too much time, but it'd also help us out a lot!

Once again, thank you for your message :) I hope to make CiON (my WIP asset) much better than SurvivalEngine 2, and hope to get it on asset store. I took feedback from what was written on this topic, and I have now a check for every single missing part of the asset.

nasos_333 likes this.
  34. GameTechnix

GameTechnix

My Asset was declined first submission. The problem was my website didn't have enough examples or information about who I was.
    The Admin was very helpful in pointing out I should include examples of my previous work, portfolio and any contact details such as linkedin also.
    I fixed this up and my asset was accepted.

Sykoo: I noticed your website links are broken on my ipad, maybe you need to add a bit more content to your publisher site?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  35. Sykoo

Sykoo

You do realize this thread is quite old right?

36. GameTechnix

GameTechnix

Sorry, Followed it from your other thread about survival engine 2.

37. Sykoo

Sykoo

No worries. :)
    I will be submitting SurvivalEngine PRO to asset store and see how it goes (when it's done, obviously). I will polish the heck out of this one though before going through the process of submission.

38. GameTechnix

GameTechnix

Yeah I hope it goes well this time!

I suggest doing a bit of website maintenance before submission also, as they do look at them.

39. Sykoo

Sykoo

Thank you! :)
    Yes, I need to fix all the pages and some design bugs.

40. LadyAth

LadyAth

@Sykoo: Looking forward to seeing your work on the asset store :) Good luck with the submission.

41. Sykoo

Sykoo

Thank you! :)

42. PeteZahHutt

PeteZahHutt

I know this is quite an old post, but i also need to say something about this.
    A few weeks ago, i submitted my 2D Controller to the AS, and it got denied.
    I wasn't too pi$5ed about it, because meh, it wasn't too good.
    But over the last week, i spent all of my free time working on it, (Custom inspector, a fully optimized script) and then, after getting some fine cover art, i submitted it to the AS last night. This morning, package was declined. Same old message "We decided not to ... bla bla bla". (I actually asked for them to e-mail me with what the package had wrong.)
    Submitted the package again (hey, it might've been an error. you know?)
    But nope. Denied again. No feedback. No nothing. 2H and bam... DECLINED!
    I think we need better feedback from AS admins...

43. Sykoo

Sykoo

I totally agree!
    I am now working on SurvivalEngine PRO, and I'm rather scared of submitting it to the Asset Store due to my backstory and experience with them. I don't want my three months work to go for nothing and not even get any feedback after a decline. I'll literally polish the sh*t out of this asset, and see what they say.

44. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

When does SurvivalEngine Pro comes out?

45. Sykoo

Sykoo

Sometime next week! :)

pushingpandas likes this.
  46. mben

mben

so, this time the your submit was success?

47. Sykoo

Sykoo

It has not been submitted yet.

48. Sykoo

Sykoo

And now I finally got an answer, which was "declined" again.
    At this point and time, I honestly believe they have something against me rather than my assets. No feedback, they just tell me that it's consistent with their criteria.

One of my assets did not have good enough pictures, the other did not have good enough documentation - I get that. But what exactly is wrong with this one? What criteria are you talking about, Asset Store team? If you look through my asset, and see a specific/multiple points my asset don't work with in your criteria, why not write them down very simply (one word is enough (their names)).

I've completely lost motivation in uploading things to the Asset Store. When are they going to realize that it's not just me that's losing motivation - it's their users - you guys too!

Like get this guys, I'm not mad because my asset got declined. I'm mad because of how much inconvenience they are giving their asset publishers. Making a huge framework, then having it declined with no notes makes it difficult for us, the developers, to detect what exactly is wrong. Just naming the god damn thing that did not work out well would be so nice!

Oh also, just wanted to mention that I'm already selling the asset on Sellfy, and people haven't been complaining. So I'm basically not talking just for myself and my experiences with the asset, but also what others think of it.

Here is the forum link:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/survivalengine-pro-25-off-limited-time.365427/

And here is Sellfy:
    https://sellfy.com/p/vbJM/

49. Sykoo

Sykoo

Sorry for the rant, but I'm honestly so tired of seeing this.
    It takes a few extra seconds to write down what exactly was wrong with the asset, or if there are too many things - just say "multiple parts of the asset is not working as promised".
    I'm done here.

50. Sykoo

Sykoo

I'm going to be taking a look at their amazing guidelines to see if I've really hopped over something, then I'll polish the asset as much as possible and attempt one last time submitting it.