Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TextMesh Pro - Advanced Text Rendering for Unity - Beta now available in Asset Store

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Stephan-B, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

If I put a lot of text in a TextMeshPro UGUI I get an error:

"IndexOutOfRangeException: length < 0
    System.Array.Clear (System.Array array, Int32 index, Int32 length) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Array.cs:899)
    TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI.GenerateTextMesh () (at Assets/TextMesh Pro/Scripts/TMPro_UGUI_Private.cs:2864)
    TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI.OnPreRenderCanvas () (at Assets/TextMesh Pro/Scripts/TMPro_UGUI_Private.cs:1772)
    UnityEngine.Canvas.SendWillRenderCanvases () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/EditorGenerated/UICanvasBindings.cs:167)
    UnityEngine.Canvas.ForceUpdateCanvases () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/EditorGenerated/UICanvasBindings.cs:168)
    UnityEditor.DrivenRectTransformUndo.ForceUpdateCanvases () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/DrivenRectTransformUndo.cs:17)
    UnityEditor.Undo.Internal_CallWillFlushUndoRecord () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/EditorGenerated/UndoBindings.cs:152)"

If I reduce the text, the error goes away. Is there a limit??

2. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

No it wasnt a limit. The text had some invisible characters which caused the issue. Maybe it got copied from word or something.

3. super-cypher

super-cypher

hi
    is there a setting to bend the text? so for example i want to add some text around an archway?

thanks.

4. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

There is a limit on the number of visible characters that can be shown which is the mesh limitation of 65535 vertices or about 16K characters.

This is an allocation issue linked to the amount of text. How many characters does that text object contain?

5. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

The is an example script available that warps text on an animation curve but this could be revised to curve it based on some function or radius, etc.

Here is an example of changing the curve at runtime

6. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

My text is 1592 character with spaces.

7. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

1600 characters should be fine. I just copy / paste part of the Unity Licences Agreement (about 12K characters with spaces) and it works fine.

Can you email me or PM me the text you are using so I can figure what it might be?

8. zangad

zangad

Thanks, that helped. Turning on Linear color space had the most dramatic effect. Turning on extra padding was kind of hit-or-miss. On some fonts, it would create small artifacts on the tops and bottoms of the characters, which actually made them blurrier. On other fonts, it helped but only a little. Likewise with underlaying a darker color - sometimes it helped a little, and sometimes it made it worse.

In the end, here's the best I could do. This is a 13-point Segoe UI font. The top is rendered with the default Unity Text component (uGUI 4.6) and the bottom is with Text Mesh Pro:

To me, they look almost identical, with the top being slightly clearer and more consistent (look at the 't's and quotes). Text Mesh Pro seems to be more affected by pixel placement (?) while Unity Text is consistent because Pixel Perfect snaps the pixels in place.

In the end, though, I can live with it. Text Mesh Pro provides enough extra features to offset the text clarity issue. However, if you can think of any more things to try to get better looking small text, I'd very much appreciate it.

9. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

The artifacts are resulting from the material properties like Dilation, Outline and other exceeding the bounds of the character and the UV ends up into the adjacent character. Although the material editor tries to prevent that from happening by limiting the range of those properties, if the padding values used when the Font Asset was created were too small, this is likely to occur. This means you need to increase the padding values. Typically, a padding value of 5 for a 512 X 512 is fine but for a 1024 X 1024 would need a padding of 10 to maintain the same amount of range on Dilation, Outline and those properties. Having said all of that, if your font is 1024 X 1024 and the padding is still 5 then turning on extra padding would produce those artifacts. I would regenerate the font with larger padding and enable extra padding. That should get you a little bit more.

The extra padding should help. At small size the Distance Field font should be close to its bitmap counter part but as the size increases then the Distance Field gets much better. At small sizes, most of the material properties like outline, shadow, bevel, glow, etc aren't really that useful because the text is so small and you can see those anyway but again as the font gets larger then the ability to add those dynamically using the same font asset is incredibly powerful and flexible.

Throw on top of that the fact that you only need 1 Font Asset of this Segoe font to render text at any size or style using material presets whereas the bitmap font needs to be re-rastered to handle different sizes. Then if you want different styles like outline, shadow, bevel, glow or whatever treatments you need to create new font assets / texture atlases manually.

BTW: Here is a video which goes over Font Asset Creation as well as shader assignment and how to create material presets.

As usual, should you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me anytime. I am here to help :)

10. BonyYousuf

BonyYousuf

Hi,
    My game has a chat log, which holds around 30 lines of texts. It gets pretty heavy for mobile to render since I am using dynamic font with uGUI. I also tried with TextMesh Pro. To my surprise the triangle counts were not very different. uGui were around 10K and TextMeshPro around 7K. I was wondering if using bitmap font would get me lower triangle count. So my question is how is TextMesh pro better than using Bitmap font performance wise

11. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Each character is contained in a Quad or 2 Triangles. Both Bitmap and SDF font rendering uses an atlas for the font so there is no performance difference between the two in terms of geometry requirements. The performance is also affected by how the geometry is created in code and handled.

Just to provide a bit of insight on this. Assume you have 8 characters that you want to display. The geometry for each character will include the vertices, normal, tangents, vertex colors, uvs and triangle index. As these 8 characters are changed, you would typically re-upload all these modified vertex attributes for the new characters. On the other hand, although the characters changed, they are still contained in quads and using the same normal and tangents. So to improve performance, you would reuse the normal and tangent data (ie. not reupload it) and recycled the triangle indexes or mark the ones not used as degenerates. Since upload a new triangle index is the slowest of all the vertex attributes to upload, not re-uploading those is a significant performance gain. That is just one example of how although you are using the same geometry that you can improve on performance.

12. BonyYousuf

BonyYousuf

thanks for clearing it out. Could you please also explain then why bitmap font is less power hungry than dynamic font? Dynamic font too uses a quad, no?

13. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

I am assuming by Dynamic, you are referring to Unity's Dynamic mode.

The Dynamic bitmap font system used by Unity uses the same bitmap data and geometry. There should be no difference between the geometry created by those two systems. However, unlike a Static Font Atlas where all the characters are rastered ahead of time and packed into a texture, the dynamic system does that at run time which adds additional performance overhead. The dynamic system starts with an empty texture and as characters are needed of a certain size, it has to raster them from the font data, pack them into the texture, update the character data and then like the static system handle the geometry. The dynamic system also has to add characters for each sizes so some letter need to be added multiple times. When new characters can no longer fit into the font atlas, it also has to resize the texture and copy the previous information to the new texture. All of this can add a lot of performance overhead.

14. BonyYousuf

BonyYousuf

Thank you so much for explaining these things to me. I am eagerly waiting for TextMeshPro's final release :)

15. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

I still have a lot of stuff that I want to add first. But I am looking forward to the final release as well :)

16. sschaem

sschaem

To clarify :

Linear color space:

Linear color space is required for composting and most other graphic operation to be performed correctly
    All consumer graphic cards have linear color space support because its so crucial to computer graphic rendering.
    'Gamma compressed' (non linear) was only intended to be used for compressed color data storage and transmission.
    (this is a technique used all the way back to the NTSC specification)

Not using linear space result mostly in aliasing with composting and scaling, but you can also get hue and luminance shifts. Also things like lighting equations 'break' in non linear space. (incorrect results)

One last comment on this, on PC, sRGB is the method used for the compression.
    8bit frame buffers are stored in sRGB format, and texture are expect to be provided in sRGB.
    GPU come with dedicated logic (zero performance cost penalty) to read sRGB into linear, and write linear to sRGB.
    note: this compression/decompressed is optional because not all data stored in texture or frame buffer is color data.
    (like storing normals, alpha, etc..)

About pixel snapping.

Text Mesh Pro is always sub pixel accurate, no matter what.
    You can mainly see this in the consistency with kerning/space of letters.
    There is only really one drawback from this, you cant hint small fonts, since hinting inherently requires pixel snapping.

Hinting is the process of changing the shape/structure of a glyph to snap features to pixels bounds to make it look sharper.
    This process work only for some letters, and mostly perpendicular segments.
    Since you must use pixel snapping to align each character on a pixel boundary you also get spacing irregularities. (like the "vo" in flavor)
    note: this also changes your text relative bound size. By that I mean, because the spacing of letter changes,
    a long string will not occupy the space amount of space on one device compared to another, because of the DPI change affecting the hinting, and pixel snapping is a ratio of the size. Moving a 8pt size character from being positioned at .4 to 0 is dramatic, but for a 80pt font it would be barely visible (and unnecessary)

Because of this, TMPro can look better then the hinting/snapping method for fonts with many curves VS straight segments. At the extreme, Cursive fonts can visually break with pixel snapping.

This method also bring little to no benefit, but all its disadvantages, with high DPI displays.

So here is what you loose with the pixel snapping/hinting : you cant scale the font without popping artifacts, hinting/spacing is irregular, shape of letter dont follow original font proportions, and font size change can have a large impact on performance.
    As the scale changes, the font hinting changes, the shape of letters pops. Also as the font scale the position of each letter will pop on a pixel boundary.
    Of course, its also not possible to apply any transform to a hinted/snapped font without have it become fuzzy.
    There is also a performance hit, since each point size change require the font rasterizer to re render and re-hint all characters.

In contrast TMPro always uses just the original font data for all sizes (stored only on the GPU once ever as a small static texture), never having any overhead for any font size change, positioning with kerning or transformations.
    The result is rock solid/reliable rendering & performance, no hickup, not pre-caching, render at any size at any DPI consistently.

Now all this doesn't help you match the look of the two font rendering method for static low dpi text.
    But this might clarify the pro/con on the design choice.

cursive2.png
    Here is a very old test with cursive to document the benefits.

What you dont see : Smoothly scaling the text size (even with fractional point size) will show absolutely zero CPU overhead, and you will never see more then 256K of GPU ram used, no matter how many text treatment is on the screen. (bold, outlined, shadowed etc.. )

But even if you dont dynamically size a UI, you get the same benefit for cross device scaling.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    zangad likes this.
  17. shawnblais

shawnblais

Hi not sure if this is the proper place to post bugs, but one of our users is reporting their text is rendered as "Pink Blocks":
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/329460/discussions/0/617328415066241435/

His specs are listed in the post:
    Processor = Intel(R) Core (TM) 2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.7GHz
    OS = Windows 7 Pro 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    Graphics Card = Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family

I know Pink is generally indicative of an unsupported shader, any idea why it would be doing this on his system? This is not happening to 99.9% of our users so I don't think the issue is on our end...

18. zangad

zangad

Thank you for the detailed information, that helps tremendously. So from my perspective and understanding, I have 3 choices, each with pros/cons:

1) Create all my card art and text in Photoshop and render as static images. (Pros: best all-around looking for small text, since text is blended and antialiased perfectly with the background. Cons: no programmability or scalability - must create multiple images of each card size...yuck.)

2) Use uGUI text with pixel snapping for small text and Text Mesh Pro for large text. (Pros: better looking for small text on standard resolution monitors, since it gets pixel snapped. Cons: no Text Mesh Pro features for small text, won't make a difference for high resolution monitors, slight performance hit for the pixel snapping.)

3) Use Text Mesh Pro for all text, large and small. (Pros: most performant, can use Text Mesh Pro's features on all text. Cons: worst-looking for small text on standard-resolution monitors, won't be an issue when everyone has 4K monitors.)

19. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Which TextMesh Pro Shader are you using?

I'll see if I can get my hands on some Intel motherboard with that chipset.

20. shawnblais

shawnblais

21. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

I just tested on a Dell Inspiron 530 which uses the G33 Intel which is a 2007 integrated chipset and the shaders all work. The 945M is from 2005 which might be hard to get my hands on.

Which version of TextMesh Pro were you using in that build?

I also noticed in that picture that you are using the Distance Field Shader but not using textures, bevel, etc which means unless you are using those properties on some other text objects, you could switch to using the Mobile Distance Field which has a slightly lower requirement vs. the Distance Field Shader. This might lower the bar enough to run on the 2005 integrated intel chip set.

22. shawnblais

shawnblais

Ok thanks for the testing. We were using the latest I believe, 1.44?

I'll try switching to Mobile since we're not using anything but an Outline, I'll let you know if it works :)

[Edit] It does look like the 945M is ShaderModel 2.0, and Unity is saying that TMPro/DistanceField is SM3.0, so this may just do the trick.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  23. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

The latest beta release of TextMesh Pro is 0.1.46 Beta 4.2 which includes several new features along with support for the new UI is available on the TextMesh Pro User Forum.

24. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

25. shawnblais

shawnblais

Cool, I've updated internally to 1.46.B3.3 and will let you know if it helps.
    Thanks!

26. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

B3.3 is not the latest version. The latest version is 0.1.46.B4.2

27. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

28. sschaem

sschaem

Also try localizing in 13 languages with option 1 :)
    And if you have lots of asset to manage, this can be a pain (specially if you need any artist update),
    and this can blowup your install size.

For Option2, its really the font hinting that provide the sharpened look... And TMPro does support hinted bitmap font :)
    But in that mode you need to use the bitmap shader, and those shaders dont support any of the advanced rendering options.

So in this special case you might have a potential 4th Option : Use TMPro hinted bitmap

Here is TMPro in action using "pixel perfect" rendering and Arial Hinted at 9pt
    (I'm using an old version outside of a canvas, but you get the idea.)
    hintedPP.png

- Go into the font tool and pick a font. (Arial)
    - Dont use "Auto sizing", pick custom . and enter your target font size (9pt)
    - Padding of 0 should be sufficient, but for 'safety' use 1
    - You need to pick a size for the atlas (128x64)
    - Make sure the atlas generated is in "Hinted smooth" mode
    - Generate & export.

fontui.jpg

Your pixel perfect font is ready to use.

Note: this feature got very little testing with 4.6 & canvas, so you might be the first one doing this.

Tested in a 4.6 canvas. Seem to be fine. (and seem to look much sharper/clearer then UGUI)

Here is TMPro hinted bitmap VS SDF at pt11 (nested in a 4.6 UGUI canvas)
    hintedVS.png

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  29. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Today I try to port to Windows Phone 8 and I get this:

WARNING: Shader
    Unsupported: 'TMPro/Distance Field' - Pass '' shader state not supported

30. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Which version of Unity are you using?

I'll test a Windows 8 build today and let you know what I find.

31. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

The latest. I use Windows Phone 8 not Windows 8.

32. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Today I switched to Windows Store (8) apps and it doesnt even build, I get:

Assets\TextMesh Pro\Scripts\SortingLayerHelper.cs(40,55): error CS1061: 'System.Type' does not contain a definition for 'GetProperty' and no extension method 'GetProperty' accepting a first argument of type 'System.Type' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\TextMesh Pro\Scripts\SortingLayerHelper.cs(41,57): error CS1061: 'System.Type' does not contain a definition for 'GetMethod' and no extension method 'GetMethod' accepting a first argument of type 'System.Type' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

33. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

There are two issues potentially here and both of them were addressed in beta release 0.1.46 Beta 4.2 of TextMesh Pro which is available to all registered users on the TextMesh Pro User Forum.

The first issue was actually address in a previous release but was related to this file not being properly marked as editor only. The second is due to Unity in 5.0 renaming one of the properties that is used with Sorting Layers.

P.S. I will get back to you shortly (tonight) on the previous Window Phone 8 issue.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  34. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I updated tp Beta 4.2 and now its ok! That was fast!

35. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

For the previous bug I was using Unity 4.6.2, I thought it was the latest but it wasnt, now I installed 4.6.3. I didnt have time to see if this affects the warning about the shader.

36. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Just tested a Windows Phone 8 build using TMP 0.1.46 Beta 4.2 and Unity 4.6.3p1 (which I guess was released today) and it is working fine.

Give this latest Unity 4.6.3p1 a shot and let me know what happens.

37. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

mine is Unity 4.6.3f1, I downloaded today morning

38. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

I think they released 4.6.3p1 earlier today which is the latest version.

39. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I am using Windows, maybe there is another version if you use Mac

40. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Here is the link to the patch releases where you will find this latest release 4.6.3p1.

From the main download page, you have to click on the "Looking for patches releases?" link.

41. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I updated to 4.6.3p1 and I still get it:

Multi-casting "[IP] 127.0.0.1 [Port] 55074 [Flags] 2 [Guid] 1625037688 [EditorId] 301640054 [Version] 1048832 [Id] WP8Player(0.0.0.0) [Debug] 0" to [225.0.0.222:54997]...

Direct3D:

Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 9.3]

Renderer: Qualcomm Adreno 305 (WDDM v1.2) (ID=0x30303330)

Vendor: Qualcomm

VRAM: 98 MB

Initialize engine version: 4.6.3p1 (e568f608adc6)

'TaskHost.exe' (CoreCLR: Silverlight AppDomain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Programs\{C745BA33-77CC-4BE9-BA49-BE388055AE5B}\NI\Boo.Lang.ni.DLL'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'TaskHost.exe' (CoreCLR: Silverlight AppDomain): Loaded 'C:\Data\Programs\{C745BA33-77CC-4BE9-BA49-BE388055AE5B}\NI\UnityScript.Lang.ni.DLL'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    WARNING: Shader
    Unsupported: 'TMPro/Distance Field' - Pass '' shader state not supported

I have a Nokia 510

42. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

This looks like a device specific issue to me. We should take this discussion to the TextMesh Pro User Forum as we can keep this into its own thread and make it easier for other Nokia user to find.

Can you try a build using the Mobile Distance Field shader and see if you get a warning on that one?

I'll have to get my hands on a Nokia 510. Does the text still render since this is a warning?

43. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Yes the text renders fine

44. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

The text renders fine with the Mobile Distance Field Shader or both Shaders? Do you still get a warning?

45. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Example of using the ScrollRect, UI Mask and the auto layout system in Unity 4.6 with TextMesh Pro.

This is also a nice example of use for the <indent=xx> tag. The text in each of the grey buttons is a single block of text using the indent tag to align the text nicely.

46. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

The text renders fine with the TMPro/Distance Field shader. I havent tested the Mobile Distance Field Shader yet.

47. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I found a serious bug that does not let me publish my game in iOS.
    I use Release 0.1.46 Beta 4.1 and 'Masks' does not work on both iPhone 5 and iPad 2 that I have tried. In the Editor it looks ok but when run in the devices the masks do not cut the text at all. Text is all visible.

This must be a Unity GUI bug. Someone suggested to enable 24bit buffer. Will try tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  48. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

I just tried building using UI Mask and it works fine on my end.

I know that several Unity users have been reporting issues with the UI Mask not working on some cases. I'll keep digging in to see what I find.

49. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I checked today. If you enable the 24bit buffer the Mask issue goes away. If you deactivate both 24bit and 32bit buffers the Mask issue is 100% there.

Can we update to Unity 5? Is TextMeshPro working ok?

50. aRainyDay

aRainyDay

I'm having trouble with the TextMesh Pro sorting layer in Unity 5. No matter what I set it to it ends up behind my other sprites. Any clues?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.