Search Unity

Text Mesh Pro - The Ultimate Text Solution for Unity - Powerful & Flexible - Advanced Text Rendering

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephan-B, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Just testing stuff out (well maybe a bit of playing around) :)

This text style is using vertex gradient colors along with some Outline with a bit of dilation. You can also see the bevel and soft shadow along with the blue glow.

I am also using a small script to animate the vertex positions using an animation curve.

2. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Here is the text before and then after tweaking the material properties.

3. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Basically most of the properties of the text object can be changed as run-time. Here I am simply changing the curve scale.

4. danien

danien

Would it be possible to get a preview version of the uGUI component for those of us using the 4.6 beta?

5. Shaka

Shaka

Hi!

I'm developing a game where I need certain parts of text to be clickable. Is this possible with TextMesh Pro?

6. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Yes. You will need to use the TextMeshPro.textInfo class which contains a few sub structures which includes:
    characterInfo[] - which contains information about each character including their position.
    lineInfo[] - information about each line including first and last character.
    wordInfo[] - Not available yet but in the latest private beta.
    meshInfo - information about the mesh includes vertices, colors, etc.

With this textInfo class, you can setup colliders or even implement your own method of detecting the clicks. If you look at the Text Input Component example in this thread, the ability to select words or know where to insert the caret is all done by using this textInfo.

7. Shaka

Shaka

Excellent! :)

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Finally got off my ass and bought this. As it's time. I already had a version from alpha, but I need to show support due to the author adding vital things like:

- no garbage allocation

- jap/korean/etc support

- support pasting a bunch of text into a box, then only creating an atlas from the precise symbols used in the text. The reason I wanted this, was because jap char sets become practically infinite. The idea is we use a great jap char set of 9000 kanji or whatever and paste in our game text at the end, and it spits out some 100 chars that actually are used, possibly fitting in a 512 texture as opposed to several 4096's

- support numericals in text without allocating a new string via lookup

Many of which I requested. It's these details, not just the visual flair, which makes the system so important and a must-have. I'll drop a review as well when I get time :)

It would have probably cost me something like 2000 dollars in man hours (probably more) to develop, so 65 dollars isn't something anyone should shy from.

Keep up the good work.

9. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Sure will and thank you for the kind words :)

I am glad you requested those features and keep those request / suggestions coming and that goes for everyone. All these suggestions help improve the product.

hopeful and hippocoder like this.
  10. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

hippocoder is definitely right about how useful a tool this is.

It is really amazing how little work to get some amazing output. You could really do some amazing text adventures with the tool. I saw that Megabook the other day and that was cool had they had integrated it in their demo.

As for suggestions. I am hope that drop cap support makes it into your tool.

11. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

I have not forgotten about that feature :)

I just need to get this whole Unity 4.6 thing behind me so I can move on to the more interesting and cooler features.

12. Alic

Alic

Going to buy this the second you release full 4.6 support :)

13. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

There is already a second release of a version of TextMesh Pro with initial support for Unity 4.6 available to registered users on the TextMesh Pro User Forum.

14. Reiner

Reiner

hi i love this asset. one question looking for a x-ray 3d style can i make this with textmesh pro?

15. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

What is a "x-ray 3D style" ... can you give me an example image?

16. Shamurai

Shamurai

Hey guys, couldn't find this out very quickly, and it wasn't in the documentation as far as I can tell. Can you adjust glow settings in code for the TMP objects?

17. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Yes. Glow settings are just material properties and can be changed via code.

I will give you more information when I get home later tonight.

Update: To modify glow power, the property is "_GlowPower" and it has a range value of 0f, 1f. You can look at the shader for the names of the other properties as well as value ranges.

Now some properties are obvious to change, like glow power. However, other properties like Glow offset aren't as obvious / predictable when changed as in this case Glow Offset is really dependent on the font itself and other properties like dilation. Visually those are easy to tweak but via code, it's trickier to get right visually.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  18. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Glad to know it is still on the list. :)

By the way did you see this on the Adobe CJK blog recently? .

"Deploying & Developing The World’s First Open Source Pan-CJK Typeface Family"
    http://blogs.adobe.com/CCJKType/2014/09/iuc38.html

This is pretty nice open source (Apache 2.0 license) font from Adobe. The sources and fonts are located here:

https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-han-sans/

They are presenting that topic at the Internationalization and Unicode conference this year.

http://unicodeconference.org/

19. ScruffyNinja

ScruffyNinja

Hi

I registered 10-days ago but am still unable to login to your TextMesh Pro User Forum — I really need access to the version that supports Unity 4.6

20. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

First my apologies for the delay. I am not certain what happened as I do check registration several times per day. Currently there are no outstanding registrations.

What name did you use?

Please take the time to register again and PM me with the username and I will promptly approve your registration and get you access to the private beta. Be sure to provide your Invoice # as part of the registration.

P.S. Feel free to email me or PM or something next time you need anything. I typically reply within hours so if you don't get a reply within 24 hours something went wrong somewhere.

UPDATE: I looked into this and your registration was approved on Oct 16th 7:55 PM but you never logged on. Username is "ZenZero" and email starts with Andrew. I went ahead and added you to the Private Beta Group.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  21. ScruffyNinja

ScruffyNinja

Cheers Stephan — I've logged in now and downloaded the Beta. Many thanks : )

22. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

You are welcome and happy bug hunting.

Now I can go to sleep since it is 4:30 AM for me and I wanted to make sure you were taken care of before I went to bed :)

23. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

And one last thing before I go to sleep...

This is an example of animating vertex colors per word using the property listed above via script. I am also using a previous script to add Jitter to the letters.

24. alejobrainz

alejobrainz

Thanks!

25. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Added some additional Rich Text tags
    The new tags provide the ability to do "All caps", "Small Caps", and control character spacing within the body of the text. Here is an example of these new tags.

Also note the use of <size=%150> to make the first line larger. <sup> for the "Pro!" and <u> for underline. The tag examples are aligned using the <pos=x.xx> tag.

26. Kea

Kea

Hi Stephan.

Thank you for great plug-in.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  27. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

You are most welcome and thank you for your support :)

28. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Animating UV offset
    This is just an experiment based on the suggestion of one of TextMesh Pro's users.

The speed of the offset would be a material property and thus could be changed manually or via script.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    Peter77 likes this.
  29. dhaynes89

dhaynes89

Would you mind sharing how you achieved this effect?

30. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

In the Demo & Extra Content package which is available to TextMesh Pro Beta Testers on the TextMesh Pro User Forum, you will find the Halloween example scene. It contains a script called Vertex Attribute Modifier. Select the Warp mode and basically the Animation Curve controls the warping of the text.

31. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

UV Vertex Offset Animation
    This new feature allows to control the speed of the UV offset to either animated the face and / or outline texture.

This feature is available on the Normal Distance Field Shader as well as the Surface Distance Field Shader.

Here is another example animating the outline texture UV offset.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  32. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

All of these examples are so awesome. Can you add these as examples in the asset please.

33. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

As per post #380 just above, I added a Demo & Extra package which includes a lot of the examples I have been posting.

34. Lordinarius

Lordinarius

Hi i just bought your tool for my new porject (Using 4.6 beta). Registered your forum and waiting for aprovement.

35. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Your registration has been approved and you have access to the Unity 4.6 (0.1.46.B2.4) Beta.

36. Lordinarius

Lordinarius

Thank you Stephan. I just checked. Really amazing 100% Pefrection

Mother of Text

37. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

New Text Alignment Rich Text Tags
    Just added a new type of Rich Text Tags which provide control of text alignment within the body of the text. The new tags are as follows:
    <align=left>
    <align=center>
    <align=right>
    <align=justified>
    </align>

P.S. Everyone say thank you to @Seith for requesting this feature :)

38. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Here is a nicer example combining several Rich Text Tags like <align> <color=blue> <size=%xx.x> <i>

Here is how this looks like with plain text in the GameView. This block of text is 1 draw call.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  39. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

ScrollRect + UI Mask + TextMeshPro's Soft Mask in Unity 4.6
    This is still work in progress but it will be possible to have soft masking using TextMesh Pro in Unity 4.6.

40. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi Stefan,

Is It possible to approve my forum account and grant me access to the bèta please?

41. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Done.

There should be a new beta tomorrow with the new masking stuff and new <align> tags.

42. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Thanks for the access, a lot of eye candy I would like to grasp ;-) Excellent work!

43. support

support

I have just bought TextMesh Pro. The text is always shown under the Unity 4.6 UI Panel. Also, I do not see outline and other features that are shown in the demo videos. What is wrong ?

44. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

First let's get you using the latest beta of TextMesh Pro with support for Unity 4.6. Once Unity 4.6 is officially released and final, I'll update the AssetStore package but as of now Unity 4.6 is still a moving / changing target I am still developing / adjusting to the changes on the various betas.

To get access to the latest beta, head over to the TextMesh Pro User Forum to register. Once you have registered, PM me here or email me to let me know the username you have selected and I'll add you to the Private Beta Group.

Now in terms of Outline, that functionality is made possible by the use of Signed Distance Field Font Assets. I suspect you used the Hinted Smooth option to create the font instead of the Distance Field 16 or 32 mode. Using Hinted Smooth produces bitmap font assets. To create SDF Font Asset which have the Outline, Shadows and all the other stuff, you need to use the Render Mode Distance Field 16 or 32. Here is a link to a videos that explains the font asset creation process including the Distance Field 16 or 32.

EDIT: Saw you register using a similar username. I have approved your registration and granted you access to the private beta group. I'll PM you instructions. Welcome aboard.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  45. Goodev

Goodev

Hi. I have some problem.
    If I generate font atlas and save TextMeshPro Font Asset
    I got a error message.

like follows.

What's wrong with me?
    (attatch my generate setting)

and If I run the scene.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  46. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

There is nothing wrong with you :)

The reason you are getting this error is because the font asset you generated doesn't include certain characters that TextMesh Pro uses. Like the letter "A" which is used to define the width of the space character. The implementation I used in version 0.1.44 wasn't ideal (hence the error)

This part has been revised in the subsequent beta releases which are available on the TextMesh Pro User Forum. I don't recalled if you have already registered there or not but if you haven't, go register now and send me a PM here and I will add you to the Private Beta Group which will get you access to the latest betas which include new features and a fix for that issue.

The latest beta is 0.1.46.B2.4 which also works in Unity 4.3 +.

47. Goodev

Goodev

Thanks to reply.

I registered in the forum.
    My nickname is similar to the Unity forums.

48. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Registration approved and you now have access to the Private Beta Group.

Upgrade Notes: The vertex color property has been changed from Color32 to Color. This was done to make it possible to use Unity's Animation Editor to animated Vertex Color & Vertex Color Gradient. However, in making this change, whatever vertex colors you had assigned in the inspector, will be lost.

I sent you a PM with additional information.

49. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Tomorrow will be a full day of testing. Unless I run into some unforeseen issues on my end or with the new Unity 4.6 RC2, I should have a new Beta release available to registered users of TextMesh Pro on the user forum by the end of the day.

50. Everclyr

Everclyr

Hello Stephen,

I am an avid user of your product and it has saved us 100s of hours of development time. I may have missed it in this thread, but I am running into an issue that you had a long time ago - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/shader-propertytoid-fast-but-no-exceptions-error.250390/ - has this issue been resolved in a Beta release? I have 0.144 so if you updated it I would love to get the fix as I am seeing some slow down on devices when I dynamically spawn Text Mesh Pro objects and want to see if fast, no exceptions can help. If not I have some ideas, but thought I'd reach out and let you know your product is awesome and can't wait to see it in 4.6!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.