Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

tetris 3D

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Ashkan_gc, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

hi
    we made a small 3D version of the class game tetris.
    you should create pages of block instead of rows.
    take a look at it and tell us what you think about it

http://gcsoft.persiangig.com/b.html

known issues
    the GUI is so simple
    there is no background or skybox in the scene

we want to send this to game portals like shockwave. what do you think? will people play this?

Thank you for taking the time to help us

2. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Hey Ashkan,

I'll be honest with you - it NEEDS some work ... some instructions or a tutorial or something, because right now it isn't very friendly!

I have dealt with portal sites before and I think I have a little understanding as to the types of projects they are looking for.

Before approaching any portals like Shockwave.com, you will need to try and make this as friendly as possible. Concentrate on a tutorial mode or finding some way to introduce the player to the game gradually. You will also need your UI to be in English, as the major portals will only accept games in English. If you are really ambitious, you could localize it so that it would play in more than one language - that would rock!

I don't mean to sound mean, but my experience of you game went like this ... I clicked on the link and started clicking around the game screen to try and get a game started, but nothing else seemed to happen. I saw a wall, but I'm afraid I can't read the writing so I had no idea what I was supposed to do.

First step - make it friendly to English speaking folk like me. Second step, perhaps look at casual games like those made by PopCap for inspiration on how to 'sell' this game to the portals. Portals LOVE PopCap and the style of game they present because it's easy for them to sell to the masses. Third step, polish and put sparkles in it!

Those are my three steps to portal success - good luck out there! :)

3. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

4. gizzerd91

gizzerd91

Add mouse control for rotating your view. You're working in 3d, so use every last drop of coolness that can give you. Let's see some particles, so funky animations, so animated textures. I dunno, I love your concept. Now spice it up a bit.

5. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

thank you! yes we should add some normalmaps to blocks and some effects.

6. Marv

Marv

I like the idea so far. And I agree with gizzerd, you need to take advantage of the 3d capabilities and add some more twists to it.

How do you get rid of blocks right now? I couldn't get any removed, only added new ones on top.

How about some more challenges like certain patterns, like connecting two corners, would make the whole 'floor' go away. Or having the choice of blocks coming from the sides to fill some wholes left on lower floors.

Keep it up. (and I would remove/change the link in your first post)

7. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

you need to create a page of blocks. i thought about blocks comming from different sides but did not implement this.
    the framework is flexible enough to add this.