Search Unity

Test the New Beta! ~ Tilt-a-Cube: Origins - Your input is requested.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by jtok4j, Dec 29, 2014.

?

Have you seen a game like this before? Trying to figure out if it's a fairly original idea or not!

1. Yes, never seen this before

28.6%
  2. Um, hmmm, possibly seen games like this before....

28.6%
  3. Why you stealing another developer's idea?

42.9%
  1. jtok4j

jtok4j

(NEWEST INFO and Beta Testing Link: (Scroll Down) :D
    I really enjoy reading all about Works in Progress within this Forum, but this is my first posting, with much trepidation...

Anyone remember this Labrynth game, shown above? Yeah, not a computer game, but still.

I'm remaking this game with a twist.

It's called Tilt-a-Cube:

Behold:

upload_2014-12-30_14-29-5.png

It's a 6-sided Cube with "Labrynth-like" puzzles on each side. The object of the game will stay true to the original. Gotta get that ball through the maze and into goal at the end. (without falling into the holes.)

First, I plan to release this "Origins" version for free with a release on Web, IOS, Android, and PC/Mac/Linux. (Wanna give back to the community, since there's lots of people with helpful/interesting free stuff out there, which I've seen and learned from.)

Then I plan to create the next version, (a paid app) with a demo, called Tilt-a-Cube: Eras (As in, periods of time.) which will remain true to the original game play-style, but with interesting cube levels, set in different periods of time, starting from several thousand years ago, to into the near future.) (36 levels in all, set in 6 different time periods.)

Will have a video of game-play up (tonight it's late... ZZZzzz) and a web demo version out within the next week. (Watch this thread please for the testing opportunity.)

More screens, & a video/Web player demo out within the next 7 days. Wish me luck! :)

Good night World!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  2. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

"Tilt-a-Cube: Original"... Sure.

3. jtok4j

jtok4j

Yes, the original part of the name is meant to denote the similarity to the original wooden style game. (It's a style reference.) :)

4. TheRaider

TheRaider

Look up labyrinth on the appStore to see how original you are.

There are actually some really good games in this genre and was one of the big hits when the appStore opened.

5. jtok4j

jtok4j

Great! Thanks for the comments! I've been moved to replace the "Original" in the name... (How original was that!? :p )
    It's now: Origins (Updated the screenshot to show it.)

Hoping to have a web player demo for trying out within a day or so ! Timeframe has been moved up!

Here's the Level Selection Screen!

upload_2014-12-30_13-15-43.png

Keep the thoughts coming!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  6. TheRaider

TheRaider

my advice is you download labyrinth by Codify AB to get an idea of your comp. I also think you should download a bunch of the other games in the genre.

Currently you are reinventing the wheel but not as well. I think you would benefit from playing other similar games. Work out where you will sit among those games and why people should download yours.

7. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Original. Origins. I don't see how your game could be either of those things. I see the possibility of a somewhat original idea seeing as how the board is a cube.

jtok4j likes this.
  8. carking1996

carking1996

Looks like a neat game, keep moving forward with it.

jtok4j likes this.
  9. jtok4j

jtok4j

Great Stuff. Thanks for the feedback and the advice. Now for a webplayer version for you to try out!

This will be my first free release of a game, back to the community. I have named it: Origins, since the design is wooden, like the original Labrynth style of games were made with (wood).

Please do try out the web player version. It's quite basic so far, but I would like to use it as a launching pad for the full-version game I am working on, which will be a set of cubes (no levels, but just cubes with different sides to play the same style of ball/hole/puzzle with.)

Helpful Criticisms, Comments, Encouragements, Ideas, Feedback, Likes, and Notes of all kinds are accepted!

Try it out: Tilt-A-Cube: Origins (Click on the link which says: The Beta Web Version is HERE!)

Gameplay.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  10. C-Screator

C-Screator

I did enjoy but it felt a little plain. Maybe adding particle effects for impacts on walls and adding a slightly more vibrant background, some lighting effects and less controllable ball. But other wise it just needs a little touching up. ;)

jtok4j likes this.
  11. carking1996

carking1996

Nice work. Try baking lighting instead of having it all on realtime shadows(Except for the ball/moving objects). And add in some particle effects and other fancy colors!

randomperson42 and jtok4j like this.
  12. jtok4j

jtok4j

Wow, These are great pointers and I shall be making some additions and adjustments!

Anyone who's reading this and HASN'T tried the game: :confused: Test it out! It's short and sweet, and I NEED your feedback! ;)
    (Pretty Please)
    Thanks in advance!

13. Navesele

Navesele

I played few levels. Looks nice, but I agree with C-Screator and carking1996 about visual part. I think you can improve it without any problems. :)

14. jtok4j

jtok4j

Great! Thanks for the extra testing and feedback!

I've taken the last 2 weeks to add some changes:
    Jan 16 title.jpg
    Added:
    • LightBaking for un-moveable wood walls.
    • Ability to change/select your own ball (4 styles) Jan 16 Choose level ball.jpg
    • And the levels options have been removed. Gotta play from the beginning and finish the whole cube! (6 sides)
    • Ability Change your music/sound track. Choose Quality FX Tunes.jpg
    • Spinning whirlpool/galaxies to suck in the ball, instead of black, ordinary holes. jan 16 whirl holes and new ball.jpg
    • Moving Wooden Walls (Small pieces that surprise you, when you hit them)

Please Try the Latest Version Here: Tilt-A-Cube: Origins

Still in progress:
    1. Change Camera Views (Make this an option, during gameplay.)
    2. Adjust timing for the level difficulty. (Epic Difficulty is currently not possible to win... :p )
    3. Add ability to Mute only the music playing.
    4. Add a few more surprise move-able wooden walls.\
    5. Make Level Transitions, so that there is NO level transition, but rather just a rotation to the other/next side of the cube. :)
    (Not wanting this (Tilt-A-Cube: Origins) game to be super-different from the original, as it's hoped to be similiar to the plain labrynth game (shown in the top post picture. )

And so, some questions:

Are the walls too high? (Can you see the ball adequately?)

In the Ball/Difficulty Selection area, I've set the balls to throw shadows. Does it add to or subtract from the games look?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  15. jtok4j

jtok4j

Terrific! I shall never, EVER make another GUI skin of my own again. There's just tooo many good ones out there, and I've found one I'm super happy with!

Updates:
    1. New GUI Overhall Completed.
    2. Adjusted Ball mechanics for a more fun experience. (slighly harder to control.
    3. Tweaked Time Limits
    Play the Beta Here (16MB) - FeedBack Please! :D :D :D

Game Loading Screen (Below)

(Below) Ball/Difficulty Option Selection Screen

In Game Pause Menus & Ball Tracker/Timer: (below)

16. PerfectlyInsane

PerfectlyInsane

I suggest you look at this game cloud kingdom. Taking into account that tilt controls are terrible in comparison to a real controller!!!!

17. jtok4j

jtok4j

Oh, so true, tilt controls, when playing a racing game on a mobile phone, makes me want to throw up, since I grew up with consoles and using an actual (something else than the screen) controller to play the games is really much better.
    I was completely out of the loop as to what you were trying to tell me with the video... until I actually watched it, and wow! these are some excellent concepts and ideas, which they even had for video games, when I was very small. I'm gonna see if there's any matching ideas/concepts which I can use for the full game (Tilt-a-Cube: Eras).

If you have any other suggestions or tweaks to consider, I'd be quite happy to hear them! :D

18. Trollpants

Trollpants

There's a really good labyrinth-type game for the Wii called Kororinpa
    It utilizes the wiimote and 3d environments really good, forcing you to move in all sorts of directions.

jtok4j likes this.
  19. jtok4j

jtok4j

Oh interesting... this has a lot of good features too. Wish I was the one who dreamed up Kororinpa.... :D

20. PerfectlyInsane

PerfectlyInsane

How about dominoes racing.. When you start up level you enter the by knocking over some dominoes which does a chain reaction if your too slow getting past certain parts of the map your passage will be blocked off. So you will have to restart the map.

Pretty much you will see the dominoes falling over on arches that go over your path or underneath or in the background.. You just gotta race them..

I guess it depends on if your tilt only controls the ball or actually tilts the whole map.

21. jtok4j

jtok4j

After reading the first paragraph... (out of my mouth) Oh Wow!

What a great idea. Hmm, yes, you're totally right about the tilt controlling the ball or the whole map... hmmm, well it does only control the ball, so this might just be in the works in a few weeks! :D

Thanks for this fabulous idea! :D

22. jtok4j

jtok4j

Video System: Dead on my production machine! Never Give up! Working on the Android version through remote desktop from my netbook into my production machine, 'till the replacment video parts arrive next week, (hopefully)!

Never give up! (Easier said than done.) :p

Ooops was that the secret level peaking out! ?

onward.jpg

23. Jonathan-Watkins

Jonathan-Watkins

@jtok4j I have seen and played this game before - It was a mini-game for Sonic Shuffle on the Dreamcast. I still have it in my Game room - It used to be one of my favorite mini games in the Sonic Shuffle Game.
    Me and my sis used to play it all the time lol

Your version of the game reminds me ALOT of the Sonic Shuffle one xD

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    jtok4j likes this.
  24. jtok4j

jtok4j

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the information! I'm googling the "sonic shuffle" now to see what they made, when I was just a kid! :D

25. jtok4j

jtok4j

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015