Search Unity

Test ads not working

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by Wekthor, May 29, 2015.

1. Wekthor

Wekthor

Hi, i have an issue with test ads. Everything is working properly, ads show up in the score scene as they should, but after few playthroughs, they just stop working. Its not a game code bug. Everything goes as in other cases, it falls into my ShowAd function where it checks if Advertisement.isReady("rewardedVideoZone") or "defaultZone". For roughly 3-5 plays it goes there fine and it shows the test ad, but after few plays for whatever reason, the Advertisement.isReady returns false ( for both normal and reward ad ). Eventhough those are test ads, it will then from this point always return false for the Advertisement.isReady(). After i restart application it will start working again. I dont know if there is anything how i could affect result of isReady() function ? Because the exactly same code is getting repeated at the game over screen, it is literaly running same function every time, only difference is that isReady will start returning false and i dont know why.

Thanks for any help.
    Luke

2. Rasmus Selsmark

Rasmus Selsmark

Hi Luke,

Thanks for feedback. The described behavior is "by design", i.e. the Ads SDK doesn't request new ads when testMode=true, after showing the first number of ads (believe it's 5). It will however request new ads when not running in testmode. Is this blocking you in any way?

Best regards, Rasmus

unity-nikkolai likes this.
  3. www_3dart_es

www_3dart_es

Hello, I want to add that when I was testing the ads for my game, the video is black, no image, but it have sound. And when it finish it show the final Image for install the App. When I turned off Test mode the real ads works correctly.

Are you using other compression format for these Test ads videos?.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S Duos (GT-S7562).

Regards.

4. Wekthor

Wekthor

Hi Rasmus,

thanks for quick reply. Unfortunately it could cause us some trouble. We implemented reward ads in such a way, that when Advertisement.isReady() is true, we show ad popup, which user can either accept and watch ad or decline. If isReady() is false this popup doesnt show at all, so there is no way for player to earn the money with the ad. We need it for testing because we are planning to send out the beta build to over 20 people and we wanted to do it with test ads. I guess it means we should do it with the regular ads where we will not have the same problem, as this limit is implemented only for test ads ? Can i ask why is there such logic in place to limit the test ads to 5 and not just show them anytime they are requested ?

Luke

5. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

There are only 3 ads available in test mode. In the current config for test ads, once all 3 have been viewed, there are no more test ads available. Each ad has a 1hr cooldown on it. However, in test mode, you can reset the cooldown by restarting your app. This is intended to simulate conditions in a production ads environment.

Please keep in mind that the availability of ads is not guaranteed. This is why we provide methods to first check if ads are ready and can be shown. Users are limited to 25 ads per day per app. They are also limited to seeing the same ad only once per hour.

For most of Europe and North America, this typically isn't an issue. In countries where fill may be limited, the effects of this can be more obvious. For instance, if there are only 12 ad campaigns available in a user's country, they will only be able to see up to 12 ad campaigns per hour.

In any case, if the user exhausts their daily limit of 25 ads, they won't see any more ads until the next day. During development, it's recommended that you enable test mode to ensure you will always have test ads available.