Search Unity

TerraVol: volumetric/voxel terrain system. Dig holes caves in your terrains!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amfu, Apr 9, 2013.

1. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

It hasint been updated in a while, And for you to have it in your own unique game you have to change a bit of simple code but as for updates again he hasint updated this in a while because i think it was just ment to be going till a certain point and then he expected the community to use his code in ways they liked, If you can code decently right now the engine is ready for you, But if you are expecting monthly updates, constant feedback, and no coding required for your engine, You may want to look somewhere else.

2. Elenesski

Elenesski

Can I get an ETA for a Unity 5 release?

3. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Appears dev is mia, But i'm sure he's trying his best with everything he has going right now.

4. mikezenox

mikezenox

Anyone?

5. bobobaribu

bobobaribu

Patch to make it work on Unity5

In Unity 5, MeshCollider doesn't seems to accept empty subMesh triangles and so you'll get multiple errors and no collision detections if you have more than 1 material in a BlockSet. To fix this until there's a better work around you must create a useless triangle to fix this.

In MeshData.cs at line 113, replace this

mesh.subMeshCount = indicesArray.Length;
    for(int i=0; i<indicesArray.Length; i++) {
    mesh.SetTriangles( indicesArray, i );
    }

With this:

mesh.subMeshCount = indicesArray.Length;
    for(int i=0; i<indicesArray.Length; i++) {
    if (indicesArray.Length>0){
    mesh.SetTriangles( indicesArray, i );
    }
    else{
    // this just while the bug is fixed
    mesh.SetTriangles( new int[3]{0,0,0}, i );
    }
    }

I hope this will help,
    B[o

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Arkade likes this.
  6. seansteezy

seansteezy

I hope so :)

7. ghostboxer

ghostboxer

So I've filtered though the code over and over again, and I cant find a way to properly interject myself into the start of map generation. What Im trying to accomplish is to give my World class the ability to start map generation when its "OnWorldLoad" event is raised. Can anyone help me out?

8. Arkade

Arkade

Patch file of @bobobaribu 's above change with fix (that I suspect was caused by forum WYSIWY*D*G editor ;) ).
    HTH.

P.s. Are there other changes needed? (e.g. @cefwyn alludes in post 639)

Attached Files:

DJ_Design likes this.
  9. Arkade

Arkade

@cefwyn and @eteeski

Regarding your black holes, I just encountered and fixed the same problem in my own triplanar shader. Mine turned out to be related to normal scaling.

Background:
    I'm working on scaling my TerraVol Map (so I can create more detailed meshes). It's going well but I started seeing similar black holes. I modified my shader to show normals as ambient and they dropped to zero below a certain scale.

Knowing normals might be a problem, perhaps you could try rendering your normals where you see your problems in case that's causal? If the case, simply add a normalize(IN.normal) before use in your shaders.

Sorry if that's not related but figured couldn't hurt to mention.

10. Arkade

Arkade

Sorry if I've missed the subtlety but could you have the Map (TerraMap, etc) GameObject initially disabled then SetActive() when you want it to all start?

11. Skaeren

Skaeren

How would I go about adding terrain destruction to a weapon, such as deforming terrain when a grenade explodes?

12. BES

BES

Any way to make planets with this in Unity 5 64bit... I figure Unity can handle it since I see people doing this:
    ...but the minecraft blocks thing is not Terravol..

13. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

To everyone looking for help with bugs, this project appears to be left behind. If you're looking for a alternitive i recommend "Ultimate Terrains" Has many more features and is frankly better. Dev is also very active and always listening to ideas, Good luck with all your projects :)

boysenberry likes this.
  14. BES

BES

Yes... but I don't have $125 to blow ...wont have it for a while ...running on fumes here cash wise... looks good though ...I bookmarked it..

I also emailed Amfu to try to get him to look at this thread...no response to my email or to this thread..

I assume you guys tried also ...his website is still up though....his email is there if you guys haven't tried yet...

15. Doctor House

Doctor House

Hi, we are using TerraVol, I am trying to findout answer myself, but maybe someone already know it. I need to add BlockSet and Map objects to Scene, as it described in documentation. But I don't need to create terrain instantly after scene loaded. I want to generate terrain after my signal from file.

I tried to call Load('filePath'), but it doesn't change terrain generated at the scene start. Tried to use Reload but got error :
    Also, I don't want TerraVol to use camera. Just generate terrain and change it during game, I will handle camera myself.

Thanks.

16. cidmodder

cidmodder

Would anybody happen to know if you can add your own handmade pieces of terrain and use this voxel generator to fill in the gaps? Like say a castle and its fields that are made outside unity and some distance away a temple that is also made outside unity and the terrain generator fill in the land everywhere else. I haven't bought it yet but everyone seems to be having troubles and development seems over and I don't want to pay if it doesn't have the features I need.

17. boysenberry

boysenberry

Probably not, if so, definitely not easy. The Cubiquity asset might be able to do it, you could ask them.

18. Doctor House

Doctor House

Hm, I add terrain to scene, as it wrote in manual. Added In-Editor Building Tool. Then "Reset and re-create terrain randomly". Builder created some terrain. I click "Save map". Then copy saved file "myMap.terra" to second project. In second project I have same scene with TerraVol. I set loadPath to path there I copied file. Then click "Reload from file". But I have different terrain as result.

19. Deccypher

Deccypher

Hi im playing around with this, so far i like it. thinking of using this is in my game tutorial to save me time. but i keep getting floating chunks, what is the best way to prevent this?

20. darkbytepod

darkbytepod

Hi everyone,

I just started in unity so i don't even know unity properly,

I just purchased TerraVol and i'm trying to follow the step to get TerraVol building and showing, so i follow the steps as per terravol startup documentation on "how to use terravol in existing project", but i'm stuck on step 3, i do not understand what is meant by:

<< Inside the BlockSet component, add a Block named “Default” with a material index of 0 and add a material to the “materials” array (see Using BlockSet component section).>>

Do i have to edit the BlockSet cs file ?

The rest seems clear enough, but if in doubt, i may be coming back for help, lol.

21. darkbytepod

darkbytepod

Finally got it figured out, was just me not being used to how Unity works,

All i had to do was to increase the count first to 1 (or how many new entries i need) and it would create instances for me that i can rename and setup.

22. Alucadmo

Alucadmo

Is there a way to use Terravol to bake meshes and export them as either OBJ or FBX? ... plez?

23. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Me too, I'd love some more info on this.

It seems like the visible mesh isn't deleted if you "dig" the last part of a chunk that's not attached to the main terrain. When I save and reload they disappear.

I've also noticed it's really easy to get corrupted geometry. Also, if my terrain object isn't at 0,0,0 the brush action doesn't line up with the brush.

24. 321Alex

321Alex

Hey everyone. Considering what my best voxel solution is and I came across this one. I want to make a game with basic physics where if a voxel is not supported it will fall straight down. Something along the lines of sand in minecraft. Will this work with this asset and does doing this become more complicated with smoothed voxels?

25. timothyallan

timothyallan

26. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Should report this to Unity Asset store team

27. jrhtcg

jrhtcg

I sent Unity's asset store an email and they appear to be blowing this off and are not going to look into the details of this. I suggest if anyone else thinks this should at least be looked into that they should do the same. One email is easy to be dismissed. We need to send them a steady stream of emails until they do what needs to done to correctly address this issue.

28. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

To be fair, even though they're both "voxel terrains" TerraVol and UTerrain are quite different products. I do think it's fair enough to have moved on from the former to the latter.

That said, I purchased TerraVol, had an experience which was less than ideal and, after being unable to contact the seller, I got a refund. In the interest of being open and honest, I have been thinking of giving Ultimate Terrain a spin... but if the above is true then it's very offputting.

29. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

If they were honestly just a different product, he wouldn't hide his identity, and use different publishing names

30. LaireonGames

LaireonGames

31. thekarthic

thekarthic

can someone please post a link to the docs for this project?
    the domain its hosted on is down

32. bnolte

bnolte

With the website down I have no way to access the documentation. Hopefully people still use the product and this thread so I can get an answer.

Can anyone walk me though how to load a saved .terra file in script? I want to make a c# script attached to an object in the scene and have either the OnInitialize or Start function call the load of the saved file.

What libraries would I need to add as I have tried all the terra libraries that show up in intellisense and have looked through all the methods but am not seeing anything with a load.

33. Theekshana-A

Theekshana-A

Guys I am pretty sure this is dead.

34. darkbytepod

darkbytepod

Yes, the guy is a baddie unfortunately. Are there any way we can get refunded ?

Or maybe someone was able to fix some of the issues?

35. Theekshana-A

Theekshana-A

I think this dev just wanted some quick money and just completely vanished. and for your question about getting a refund. You are very unlikely to get a refund. As it states here. As specified in the Asset Store EULA all sales are final. However, you are welcome to contact the publisher of the asset for their assistance. In some cases, they may be willing to authorize a refund at their discretion. It sucks but there is nothing we can do.

36. tequyla

tequyla

Hello,

we can try to create a topic where trap assets are blacklisted.

++

Xenobite likes this.
  37. orb

orb

No posts from the developer in 14 months, so I guess we can declare it dead.

38. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

But suudenly an update apears in the store :)

Edit:
    Oh, i think just to tell us that it is not supported anymore :(

Arkade likes this.
  39. LoganPark

LoganPark

Is there any voxel smoothed terrain solution that is still supported? TerraVol is abandonware, Ruaumoko is abandonware...

VicToMeyeZR likes this.
  40. Jeremy2300

Jeremy2300

We've been using TerrainEngine since we gave up on TerraVol, but it's very pricey. It's extremely robust though and I highly recommend it if you have the funds.

41. Razmot

Razmot

I wish one of these guys would just opensource its product and let the community maintain / fork at will, instead of letting it rot. Same thing for the dead planetary engines.

42. Arkade

Arkade

Hey, Sorry didn't reply before -- if it's still of use / future reference...
    (Mostly from memory, I believe...) one sets loadPath in TerraMap and call Init().

p.s. I'm a user (not the dev).

43. Arkade

Arkade

Kind of an open question to other users:

What are the legal implications of users maintaining something unsupported?

My feeling is that merely posting patches is probably reasonable but posting such that someone can use without paying is right out. Even large files that reveal internals without the patch requiring it are probably a bit iffy, right?
    This and lack of polish/finish to my self-modified version is why I've not dared post my mods :(

44. Arkade

Arkade

45. LoganPark

LoganPark

Outstanding, this is good to know. I'm using [whatever voxel terrain gets regular support] as part of an ecosystem simulator, and I have had to switch voxel solutions at least four times so far. :) Hopefully the community one rocks.

46. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Yeah, the only one that really has any real support is $4000...

47. LoganPark

LoganPark

> Yeah, the only one that really has any real support is $4000

I'm actually OK with that; $4000 is small fries for inclusion in a grant in my particular line of work. I don't mind paying for ongoing support either (devs gotta eat too). On the other hand $4000 cuts out everyone but seriously funded potential buyers. By a lot.

48. TonanBora

TonanBora

If this asset has been abandoned, and support no longer given, then do tell me why it is still being Updated?

I have a feeling the owner is just updating it to keep it in the "Recently Updated" so that people might still buy it.
    I hope people do their research before they buy!
    If you (the reader) have seen this asset, and are now here checking it out, kudos to you! :)
    Also, there is no longer any documentation on this asset, so do not buy it thinking there will be, and the code has little, to no commenting.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  49. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

No dev bashing please - 99% of assets don't make money and this one is no different yet the dev continuous improved it for 2 years.
    This asset is no longer actively developed and yet I recommend it, here is why:
    1. It is the FASTEST voxel solution - by far. You can do massive continuous change to the terrain with no hiccup. Everything else I've tried hiccups like a bitch. It also runs silky smooth on and ipad air2.
    2. CHEAP! only 49$ !! You won't find something good for cheaper and because it's cheap, you can spend money on complimentary assets, or buy your double latte frappuccino with chestnut whip cream every day for a week.
    3. Terrain looks good and if you want cave AO, get something like HBAO+, SESSAO or Simple AO, I'm even considering threading VertexDirt and call it from OnChunkBuildAfter.
    4. Continuous digging: the block slowly melts away instead of popping out, when you add particles it looks really nice
    5. Multiplayer friendly data and action format.
    Now in all fairness you should be aware of these limitations:
    1. It is NOT a one button make-photorealistic-Crysis-terrain plugin. It's a library and you must program to do what you want.
    2. It is not a terrain editor so if you want auto biome a-la gaia, you'll have to make it, it's a very well optimized terraforming voxel engine and it's well coded with clean methods (although it's a bit too OOP for my taste) so adding generation functions is quite easy.
    3. If using U5.3+ the terrain material goes pink. Easy fix: make your own triplanar or buy RTP.
    4. If you're using infinite terrain, when chunks disappear they lose changes. I think this can be fixed by saving changes on a separate thread with some delay. It's very easy to do with ThreadNinja
    5. You can only have one terravol in the scene so no animated floating island for you. Although I am sure it's not that hard to clean up the Terra components to change world-voxel space calculation.
    6. grass don't show up in U5.3+
    FAQ:
    1. does it work with <any terrain composer>. No it does not, terrain composers are designed to work with the built in terrain. You could export the heigh maps from the terrain composer and import it in terravol but you'd only get the volume of the terrain.
    2. I use U5.3+ and the terrain's all pink: yep, the shader that comes with TV is pre compiled and 5.3 don't like that. Fix: make your own triplanar or buy RTP
    3. I want to create biome, howzit done? Dig inside TerraVolEnhance, it's well documented

victorkin11 and Arkade like this.
  50. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

I dug a link to the documentation out of archive.org: Docs

Does anyone know why it's so slow to render terrain strips when moving the camera around?