Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TerraSame

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by TerraSame1, Dec 12, 2014.

1. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

Available formats:
    32 bit, 64 bit, Streaming, .Mac, Linux, Android
    We suggest "stand alone" set at "Fantastic" 1920x1080

www.terrasame.com

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  2. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

Re-Created & Revised the video and therefore did the same with the link...

3. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

I like the idea but I think there's a lot of room for improvement in the execution. GUIs look like they're from a 90's website, textures look bad, snow particles are fixed on the camera (don't fly by when you move), models are kinda basic and look like you downloaded them from google warehouse. I think if you invest in fixing everything and do each step with care you might end up with a pretty powerful tool with a lot of commercial power.

4. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

Hey joni...
    Thanks for the bump...

It is the concept first and NO ONE HAS EVER accomplished what I have accomplished, that works on mobile... :)
    Yes...There is a tradeoff... As there is always a direct corralation between quantity and quality....
    I understand... and I expect criticism.....
    As I understand, that in every recliner, there is one who will do so....
    So, tell me... Are you the kind of person who just likes to sit in your recliner?
    Or are you one who will afterwards, "Step up to the plate"?
    The invitation has been made....
    :)
    Thanks again......

5. red2blue

red2blue

Hi,
    the idea looks really nice, but I have to say that joni is right in his statement. I think with some tweaks you could achive a much better looking even on mobile platforms. Or you could make some LOD for different platforms. Within an advertisment I would go with something more highres to impress. One thing that jumped directly into my eye is: Why are you using an 6 - 7 years old video / application (it says 2008) for promoting now? That makes it even more look old.

Don't get me wrong. The idea is really nice, but there are some room for improvement (like allways) :).

6. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

I'm just looking at your product from the point of view of someone who might buy it to showcase his ski resort. It has a lot of potential but as it is right now I don't think it will be a huge success (I hope I'm wrong though), if you could go just that extra mile and fix all the stuff you left behind it will be awesome. I guess it's the famous last 1% that the people say it's actually the biggest part of a project.

7. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

Hey Joni & R2B...
    Going through life I have often noticed...
    That the first 90 percent, costs the the fist 1 percent and....
    The last 1 percent, costs the last 90 percent..

Have either of you two actually tested it?
    I suggest the win 64 version, it is the highest quality when viewed "Fantastic" at 1920x1080
    Check it out and remember, it is a template....

Also....
    Once again... As I had said...
    The invitation has been made....
    Either of you two are welcome to "Step up to the plate!

BTW.... The 2008 also says "Copyright"... That means.... That is when I started creating the concept...
    If you don't understand that, then others wont, so, I might change that...Or just remove it...
    Thanks Guys......

8. red2blue

red2blue

I do understand what copyright means. But If you say Copyright 2008, then it indicates, that you doesn't change anything afterwards. For my understanding, the copyright should reflect the latest date of change. If nothing changed since 2008, than it is fine ;). If you want to indicate how long you are working on it i would suggest using "Copyright 2008 - 2014"

I only tested the webplayer.

To be honest, I don't know what you with your invitation mean. I guess you posted your video to get feedback. We gave feedback about what we think. I didn't know that it is something about "If you can do it better, then show me!".... If you are proud of your work, then it is fine. If you want feedback, then you should accept that it is the opinion of somebody else. If you made an environment simulator "with potential", then I don't have to make a better simulation to make my feedback valide :)

Cheers!

9. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

Look I'm not here to annoy you or just throw sh*t on your work. I think you didn't understand my approach while I was writing the first comment. What I'm saying is that you have a good base template and I was trying to push you to make those last tweaks and changes to actually make it awesome. I wanted to give you honest feedback because I think you could, one day, have a really nice product and you could make some good money with it. I'm trying to help, I'm not trying to piss you off. I quote red2blue in saying I don't understand what you mean with "you two are welcome to "Step up to the plate!".
    Cheers!

10. Fluzing

Fluzing

@joni.giuro
    I think you are experiencing a difference in culture, which is causing miscommunication. I am assuming the OP is Chinese or at least Asian, judging by the language used. Their wording tends to be a bit stronger than we are used to.

11. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

Ok guys.... I suppose I should apologize...
    I've been kinda tough....
    Really, I am somewhat tired of comments that rip and then maybe suggestions but with no examples...
    I am not a mind reader......
    And, I just as soon separate the men from the boys - the- Women from the girls.....
    I really appreciate that you guys are hanging in there...
    (We may be building games but for me this ain't no game... So, sorry to talk a "Bit stronger" than your used to... :) )
    Anyways....

I have been working on this for just under 10 years.... Get that... 10 pounding the keys years....
    Along the way I've gone through 2 computers and switched from another game engine to Unity......
    That was a tough switch.... But well worth it as Unity is awesome..... But, it took me years to get back on track.....
    The run time tree code was a spectacular feat accomplished by my good friend Matt....
    The terrain system is all mine with 200 terrain meshes, in Whistler, each with their own textures and shaders...
    And, the system is totally and easily re-done to create any mountain range...
    Yes, the buildings are from the warehouse. Have you ever tried getting one of them into unity? What a bitch.....
    But the bobsled run, I built from scratch......
    OK... Enough whining......

So..... "Step up to the plate" means.... At a minimum, Not only tell me that this or that sucks but why does it suck and lets see an example of what you think it "Should" look like.....

Yes, there may be an age difference but not necessarily a cultural difference. If there was, it matters not to me...
    I am a Yooper from the South Shore of Lake Superior.... Not that... that matters...
    That is the, Upper Peninsula of Michigan.... About 10 hours north of Detroit. Not that... that matters... Either...

So, as far as the project goes..... We must understand that this product needs to be usable by not just kids but also their parents, the ones who pay to go on a trip to a ski resort..... So, it needs to be simple and not scare away "Mom".... Then, we must consider that this is a template where the ski resort should supply all graphics and branding and logos etc.... None-the-less, you are right it does need to create excitement.... So, if you can... show me what you think it "Should" look like..... Or, better yet.... If you are up to the challenge, I will send you the image files and you take your best shot..... Fair is fair.... If you make something and I use it... You get something in return..... But it must "Blend" into the project.....

I have thought about the Copyright date and I now agree..... It has been changed.....
    Thanks for standing your ground.... I admire that.....

Enough for now.....
    Thanks guys....

12. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

Ok, I'll try to give a more detailed critique.
    Starting from the logo, I think that 3d effect makes it look like an old tech product. I'd go with something flat. I'm not a graphic designer but I made an example of what I mean:

Then, for the video:
    0.06: Those elegant monitors and that hight-tech keyboards don't match. I'd go with a simple iMac front view. ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e6/IMac_vector.svg/2000px-IMac_vector.svg.png ) - also, the mouse is upside down.

0.07: Like I said for the logo; that 3d text makes it look old (honestly I think you should change the font you're using). The world itself looks good, maybe more sun, bluer snow and greener trees would improve it a little. The helicopter would look awesome with some reflections on it.

0.13: The GUI looks old, again. Those blue borders and that font might need a rework (sorry as I already said I'm not a graphic designer so I can't help you with that, but I'm sure you can find someone on the web)

0.17: Snow particles are attached to the camera. You should set the simulation space to "world". This might lead to some problems while moving fast but with some tweaks you should be able to figure it out.

0.20: When zooming in the texture looks blurry, maybe you could have different level of details for the textures (I'm not an expert on this but I know it can be done, google will help)? The low detail on the snow makes it look like ice cream.

0.31: The camera slides on the ground, I think it would look better if you could implement some sort of arc trajectory to avoid this.

1.24: Characters in T-Pose. I think it would look better if you pose them in another way.

1.37: Bobsleigh's nose floats before you start playing (small thing), textures on the track look blurry, maybe some tiling or adding some detail may help. As I stated before, the ground texture also needs more detail. Sleigh simulation looks good, maybe the camera could turn a little faster.

2.04: Camera flies through the heli. (small thing). Maybe hide the mouse cursor while you're flying.

2.36: Trees pop in. I don't know how to fix that (honestly I don't even know if it can be fixed)

2.48: Snowboarder appears to float over the snow, I think some particles behind the board might hide the problem. It looks like the board is too long.

2.57: Again, the interface looks old, Social icons looks stretched to me (that might just be me)

3.03: Snow looks yellow.

3.12: Not available characters: why are they not available? You just need to showcase the mountain so I don't think unlockable characters should be a thing here (I might be wrong, it's up to you, I'm just saying what I think). Or are they unavailable because they're not implemented? In that case just leave them out.

3.29: Flying physics look a bit too nervous (if that makes sense?).

Again: This is in no way meant to sound like "You did a terrible job". I honestly think you did pretty good, I'm pointing out what, in my opinion, could be changed to help you push your product to the "WOW" zone.

Cheers

13. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

Hey Joni.... You nailed it....
    Now that's what were talking about..... Much more helpful.... And, something I can work with...
    Your effort is excellent... A+ This is the way all critique/criticism should be addressed....
    Back when you were young did you ever get a paper returned from a teacher that said "Good Effort / C')
    Man that used to tick me off.... Frickin' lazy teacher.... I'd give her/him an "F" It was like a child teaching a child....
    Grrrrrrrrrrr
    You all know what I mean....
    You also remember your most favorite teacher....
    They cared and and brought you UP rather than down...
    So, we should all try that approach...
    And along the way....
    Nothing wrong with bringing a group together and turning the group from a group to a team by making the end outcome a "Challange"..

On to the topic at hand....

0.06: Those elegant monitors and that hight-tech keyboards don't match. I'd go with a simple iMac front view. ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e6/IMac_vector.svg/2000px-IMac_vector.svg.png ) - also, the mouse is upside down.
    This is crazy..... But, I understand What is crazy, is the fact that before things were displayed in 3d, they were flat and nowadays things/marketing have returned to flat again.... It's almost like the shape of cars where they are slowly becoming more "boxy" shaped.... This does deserve consideration....

0.07: Like I said for the logo; that 3d text makes it look old (honestly I think you should change the font you're using). The world itself looks good, maybe more sun, bluer snow and greener trees would improve it a little. The helicopter would look awesome with some reflections on it.
    I have worked really hard at this, as far as the snow trees and chopper.... Unfortunately, the specular shader on the chopper really losses a lot of fps.... Will again look at these settings....

0.13: The GUI looks old, again. Those blue borders and that font might need a rework (sorry as I already said I'm not a graphic designer so I can't help you with that, but I'm sure you can find someone on the web)
    Yes I agree and I invite anyone and every one to "Step up to the plate" Out of this whole list.... This is the challange ! Fair-isFair.... What goes around comes around.... What you put into it will be proportional to what you get out of it.... The present size of the image files is 1280x1024 ...Rock-N-Roll....

0.17: Snow particles are attached to the camera. You should set the simulation space to "world". This might lead to some problems while moving fast but with some tweaks you should be able to figure it out.
    This has been looked at, of course, It is tricky.... Will look into a greater length..... Any ideas from anyone? But, please be specific....

0.20: When zooming in the texture looks blurry, maybe you could have different level of details for the textures (I'm not an expert on this but I know it can be done, google will help)? The low detail on the snow makes it look like ice cream.
    Another LOD usually means a whole new file or multiples.... This can add up in file size... Quickly and cause a problem as download file size increases..... Ice cream?..... That's really funny....As I said, the terrain textures are very complicated with 200 terrains and each there own satellite texture and shader.... If you do the stand alone at high res it is way way better where web streaming and of course mobile need different settings.... Will review though....

0.31: The camera slides on the ground, I think it would look better if you could implement some sort of arc trajectory to avoid this.
    Once again.... a tough one.... The teleport code is complicated and Yes.... this has been looked at... Will discuss with my friend Matt......

1.24: Characters in T-Pose. I think it would look better if you pose them in another way.
    Agreed, I believe you refer to the avatar selection.... In the program I have it set up where they all rotate about the vertical center but I turned that off because the frame rate takes a real hit... There are other alternatives.... Will review and consider......

1.37: Bobsleigh's nose floats before you start playing (small thing), textures on the track look blurry, maybe some tiling or adding some detail may help. As I stated before, the ground texture also needs more detail. Sleigh simulation looks good, maybe the camera could turn a little faster.
    All frairly easy fixes except terrain issue you mentioned earlier.... Will review....

2.04: Camera flies through the heli. (small thing). Maybe hide the mouse cursor while you're flying.
    Frickin' camera.... A constant battle..... Yes.... goes through chopper when switching to chopper when previously on ground.... Will look at.....

2.36: Trees pop in. I don't know how to fix that (honestly I don't even know if it can be fixed)
    As I said the run time tree code is the most complicated code work in the project..... If I did like most do and bring the fog way in that would not be an issue but then the whole game is F'ed Up.... Must see across the valley.... Maybe see if we can fade in rather than pop in.... Will address with Matt.....

2.48: Snowboarder appears to float over the snow, I think some particles behind the board might hide the problem. It looks like the board is too long. That is already on the list of issues to be addressed.....

2.57: Again, the interface looks old, Social icons looks stretched to me (that might just be me)
    Mentioned earlier... Will review and address...

3.03: Snow looks yellow.
    Grrrrrrrrrrr LOL..... Them terrain textures what a pain adjusting 200....

3.12: Not available characters: why are they not available? You just need to showcase the mountain so I don't think unlockable characters should be a thing here (I might be wrong, it's up to you, I'm just saying what I think). Or are they unavailable because they're not implemented? In that case just leave them out.
    Hmmmmmmmmmm Will think.....

3.29: Flying physics look a bit too nervous (if that makes sense?).
    Does make sense..... That chopper code is still in need of work and has been a major thorn in my side..... It all works best on stand alone and worst when filming as film capture really hits the frame rate.....

Again: This is in no way meant to sound like "You did a terrible job". I honestly think you did pretty good, I'm pointing out what, in my opinion, could be changed to help you push your product to the "WOW" zone.

Ahhhhhh S***.... I'm late for work..... Dam.....
    But your effort deserves mine in return.....
    Thanks you for the critique rather than simple criticize....

Any other comments addressed in this manner are most welcome....
    Thanks Joni

14. Fluzing

Fluzing

Either you have done something weird, or you are using a very old computer. Rotating a model should not be very expensive as far as I know.

This is actually very easy. You only need to uncheck/check one box in the particle system.

15. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

yes, you are correct.... Rotating one is inexpensive.....
    On the other hand rotating 12 on screen at the same time is something different all together.....
    Computer is 2 year old Alien.... Way awesome.... Still....

Yes easy but then as you speed up there are no particles as they are all left behind....
    I plan to try setting it up both ways instead of only one way.... There is a better way which we will look at too....

16. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

I don't think spinning 12 models should be an issue, I think the problem is somewhere else. Maybe the models are high poly models not meant for gaming? Check your settings and try to find the bottleneck

17. TheRaider

TheRaider

I don't think your level of quality is a restriction of mobile. I tend to feel if I was big commercial client I would think something more like
    would be a far better way for them to go. The quality of graphics/texture is an overall thing not relating to any specific part of the project in my opinion.

I don't think you are in the blue ocean you think you are in. With 3D scanning technology people are able to put more things online at high quality, or using 360 degree photos.

I think they would take one look and move on based on the video you have made. The market you are trying to attract in terms of consumers (for the companies) require a much higher standard to be attracted.

I realise you will probably react poorly to this feedback based on your other posts but it is honest. Companies are looking for "wow" when it comes to marketing and there is nothing "wow" about this.

NareshKhandla likes this.
  18. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

Cool another bump..... Awesome....
    The video is nice.... Peaceful and relaxing.... A bit slow and not very exciting..... None-the-less, it is nice....
    Now, on the other hand I have done a great deal of research on the matter of simulation....
    For example, if you look at the Unity page where they highlight special simulation companies http://unity3d.com/industries/aec you will see fine work.... http://unity3d.com/industries/sim Then if you go look at the company web sites such as "Viserra" it looks really good... But then have a look at their demo http://vizerra.com/portfolio/category/demo/ and you won't be very impressed as the world may be of good quality but it runs jerky and is not huge...
    Although they do great work for video. There is where the difference lies..... Then take it a step further and do you really think these simulations will work on mobile? I think not... I do appreciate your feedback but I do suggest you look beyond "What is" and consider What could be"... Yes... the quality of my work but equally important my video can come up.... And, will... Like Captain Jack says, "Now, bring me that horizon". Thanks Raider

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  19. Fluzing

Fluzing

That slow video is cutting edge technology. It is a demo that shows what is possible with iOS 8. It is at least 15 years ahead of what you are showing, tbh.

20. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

I like it but I am still not impressed.... For one, it is not a very big level...
    I would have to see it in action.... Then I would be more informed...
    Have you used it on IOS?
    If so.... And it is available on Android... Please send a link...
    Thanks guys....

21. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

I will be traveling cross country for a couple days...
    So, please don't expect quick reply's...
    I will be back at it ASAP
    Thanks

22. TheRaider

TheRaider

I believe they only did an iOS version cause it was for the release of iOS 8(using the new shaders which will also come in Unity 5). They zoom out to show you how it would be with a huge world. It was running on an iPad mini for the show. Yes I have used it on iPhone 6 and it is wow! It is called zen garden.

My point is resorts are going to want off what they do at that level of quality or close to it. The fact you can throw a big terrain doesn't really matter if won't attract users. If you put yours side by side with something like that and think they will pick yours then you are in trouble.

I am just saying you need to think about your market, what they will want, what you are up against and why would they pick yours over another firm.

23. NareshKhandla

NareshKhandla

The video is nice....