Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TerraLand 2 – High Quality Photo-Realistic Terrains from Real-World GIS Data

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TerraUnity, Jan 5, 2016.

1. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

I am getting a could not register the window class, win32 error 0 when clicking to view the map for so I can look for new coordinates. I have the latest patch version of 5.3.4.p3

**k seems to of solved it self now.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Please refer to this post here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/te...from-real-world-gis-data.377858/#post-2584750

Pressing OK twice when this warning message window appears loads the Interactive Map with no issues. As already stated, the Interactive Map system will be replaced so you won't face any further issues.

P.S. Did you register on our website to get the updated/corrected TerraLand Tournament package?

3. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

no i did not.

4. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

also wanted to ask what other terrain packages does this work with? to make things pop a bit more, normalmapping, etc. this seems to be void of it. overall very nice software, seems overall to do what I need, but Wanted to know which terrain plugs i it is compatible with , RTP? terrain composer? the project I am working on is a simulation/game. I take it i do this once I convert the terraland terrain over to the new unity terrain which is covered in the tutorial then I can apply say RTP ?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  5. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Send us your registration username/password to this email address: info@terraunity.com and we will setup the account to get access to the latest download links.

Since TerraLand operates on Unity's built-in terrain system, so any other plugins, shaders, scripts, and etc. packages will work on generated terrains and TerraLand is compatible with them.

So yes, you can generate/edit terrains using TerraLand and then for instance, apply RTP shaders on them as they are normal terrains.

FYI, we are working on a new product called "TerraEnhancer" which takes the normal/boring terrains and enhance them both in shape and visuals. For the heights and shape enhancing it uses natural filters such as erosion & terrace and for the visuals, we have written custom terrain shaders to support Parallax Mapping, DX 11 Tessellation, Procedural Textures using noise functions in GPU and lots of new features.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  6. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

okay cool will do. terraenhancer sounds nice. digging it. :) Hopefully on our next project (hopefully we get funding soon, got a meeting next week tuesday) that will fit nicely into our timeline. so yeah definitely will be looking out for that.

7. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Heavily working on TerraEnhancer now. Good luck with your meeting & funding :)

8. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

holy crap just realized, basically what you are saying is that will be enabling more "parallax" enabled texturing? but avoiding that wierd glistening gelatinous look you get past a certain point. that would be awesome and look forward to the TE. :) I will have my wallet ready good sir.

9. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Thanks... Actually parallax mapping is just a fraction of the intended features ;)

10. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

wanted to ask another question does terraland allow for rock placement, and grass/shrub placement by using maybe splatmaps or something that allows them to be generated rather than hand place them? or is that a feature in TE?

11. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Good question, rock, stone, cliffs & overhangs will be placed by TE on terrains using automatic mesh blending technique which I'm not going into details for now. And the placement will be handled automatically using satellite images, splatmaps or manually created maps.

Regarding vegetation placement, we have another product called TerraTrees which is doing map-based placement for years now. The product hasn't been updated for a long time but we are upgrading it to have compatibility with Unity 5 with 1/5 of the current price. The development and updating process won't take so long so it will be available very soon.

John-G likes this.
  12. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

k cool. good to know.

13. Ace_1999

Ace_1999

Quick question and a determiner if we can use this for a future project: can it support GIS files not taken from ESRI? For example there's high resolution DEMs for Mars but I don't believe those are on the normal ESRI servers. Those data are publically available but would require the program to let me assign GIS files on my hard drive.

Since it'd be great to be able to use this to create accurate landscapes for other planets there's GIS data for.

14. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

YES, surely you can. In addition to the Downloader, there are 2 other components of "Terrain" & "MapsMaker" which manage any custom data available on your hard drive in the project.

The ESRI data files are internally downloaded using the "TerraLand Downloader" component for connecting to online servers.

Here is the info from the Offline Data section of TerraLand Terrain:

The Following picture is taken from the TerraLand Quick Guide which can be downloaded from HERE.

TerraLandTerrain_OfflineData.jpg

Even if your own custom GIS data is not available in the 3 above mentioned formats, you can use external GIS software such as Global Mapper to edit and convert the data to desired usable format and export it to any resolution to finally load it into TerraLand Terrain in Unity and generate terrain(s) from it.

We will make separate video tutorials for "Terrain" & "MapsMaker" soon to get you started about the functionalities.

jf3000 and John-G like this.
  15. i9mobile

i9mobile

I own the Terra+3 but can't see if it's already updated with Terra Land 2, can you confirm @TerraUnity ?

16. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@i9mobile We've setup your account to get the latest packages on our website. Check our replied email.

17. dittytwo

dittytwo

as part of project we are doing at work we are able to get images from lots of different satellites with image quality to sub 15cm. we can also get the height files from the same source both are or can be geo-referenced can we use both images and height maps in Terraland very interested in this as i think it would solve a lot of issues. the image file sizes are around 4Gb (could be larger) or would we need to get create web based tile server to hook into to deliver the tiles??

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  18. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Editor Scene

Theoretically there is no limit for the total resolution of heightmaps and textures in a single static scene in the editor before your computer explodes :) as you can spread data over terrain chunks.

The following description provides needed info for generating large static scenes in Editor (not run-time):

No matter what the original data resolution is, whether the elevation or satellite imagery resolution is 1cm or 1meter per pixel, you have to end up with maximum of 8192 heightmap resolution on each terrain chunk (overriding Unity's built-in 4096 limitation) and a balance of texture resolution as you desire. You can of course have multiple terrain chunks each having 8k resolution but I don't think current machines can handle such large data.

Usually it's OK to limit entire scene's heightmap resolution below 4096~8192 for large areas.

So in the end, you must crop your elevation data in your favorite GIS software to have a proper resolution corresponding to the target platform.

More info about elevation data resolutions and limitations: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/te...from-real-world-gis-data.377858/#post-2474445

More info on loading custom elevation data: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/te...eal-world-gis-data.377858/page-2#post-2599837

For tiling previously downloaded satellite images over your existing terrains, there is the "Image Tiler" section in "TerraLand Terrain" component which takes a folder and tile them on existing terrains. More info HERE and in a few following posts.

ImageTiler.jpg

To make the custom data geo-referenced in TerraLand Terrain, there must be a xml file in elevation data's location which holds basic info, The following image shows content of the xml file edited to cover entire Earth in the scale of 1:1,000,000 considering each unit is 1 meter.

WorldElevation_16K.jpg

Again, the above mentioned conditions are based on a static scene in editor.

Run-Time Scene

But if you have a data & scene streaming system to load/unload terrain chunks in run-time which is what you desire, you are good to go with any size & resolution for your data. Of course the loading of data has to be through a web/offline based server

The good news is that we are now working on run-time features and the initial version will be released in about 2 weeks from now. Using run-time features, you can possibly stream large datasets dynamically on the fly.

The initial version loads data directly from ESRI servers and apply them on terrain chunks dynamically, so the whole Earth will be streamed in the scene.

For custom data file management while you don't have any streaming server solutions as maybe for your case, maybe we'll come up with better ideas later and you can also request features if you have any thoughts.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    John-G likes this.
  19. John-G

John-G

That is exactly what I was hoping for, wish to be able to stream in Geo data to cover the earth for a Naval/air simulator.
    Looking forward to the implementation of this. Excited.

20. dittytwo

dittytwo

fantastic response thank you this might just be what we are looking for and will solve lots of issues

21. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Yes, this feature is so exciting and needed ;)

22. shwa

shwa

Hi,
    Exciting work going on here.

Is their a Terraland Tournament demo for Mac OSX?
    Couldn't find it.

If there is, and the current version from the asset store works so i can recreate the demo on my machine in authoring, i'll buy it.

(I emailed you via your website.)

thanks,

shwa

23. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Thanks, the Mac OSX build/demo for TerraLand Tournament will be available on our website by tomorrow which you can check out freely. It will be announced here.

Of course, if you have the project package and the source codes through buying TerraLand, you can do whatever you want with it and recreate. We've replied your email.

24. shwa

shwa

Great.
    Thanks.

25. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

You are welcome. The Mac version is now available for download along with the Windows version from here: http://terraunity.com/terraland-tournament/

Do you guys think the project worth being a separate package in the store?

26. shwa

shwa

Hi,
    Thanks for the OSX version. I couldn't get it to play on my machine.
    OSX 10.8.5

I downloaded it and unzipped it.
    Got this message when i tried to play it:
    You can't open the application "terralandTournament" because it may be damaged or incomplete.

?

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  27. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

The file is now updated and available for downloading as it was corrupt and didn't get uploaded properly before. Can you please confirm?

28. shwa

shwa

Hi,

The app launches but the graphics are messed up.
    tried various qualities, resolutions, etc. same result.
    see screenshot attached.

i'm running a macbook pro. 2012. or so.
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
    osx 10.8.5 8 gigs ram.

any idea about what's wrong?

thanks.

Attached Files:

29. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Seems like your system is too old to handle one of the full screen image effects. The Tournament uses some few custom image effects which I think one of them is causing the issue.

I don't have an equivalent system as yours but it has been tested with no problems on a decent 2014 macbook pro.

As the image effects settings run/bypass option is not included from the game build settings and it just changes resolution or common options, the debugging is only available through the project to find which effects shader causing the issue. I'll prepare a version to turn on/off image effects during the gameplay so that you can report the issue source. I'll be preparing this in a few hours.

30. shwa

shwa

"I'll prepare a version to turn on/off image effects during the gameplay so that you can report the issue source. I'll be preparing this in a few hours."

Awesome. Thank you!

If it looks pretty good on my macbook, i'll definitely be buying TerraLand.

thanks again!

31. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

As promised, here are the Windows and Mac game builds with option to switch image effects on/off during the gameplay plus FPS counter display for better debugging.

Download Windows Game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwr5z4mjv0mvh7o/TerraLandTournament-Development_Win.zip?dl=0

Download Mac Game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wk3vwr7sznc8p6n/TerraLandTournament-Development_Mac.zip?dl=0

Press keypad's 0-9 keys to switch each effect on/off.

@shwa The first 3 effects are customized effects which may be causing the issues in your case.

Also pressing F1 key will turn on/off the Slow Motion mode in game.

32. shwa

shwa

Looks good on OSX.

Just bought it!

Amir, thanks for making the OSX demo and then adding the effect test, which allowed me to remove the affect that wasn't working on my macbook pro. I think it was tonemapping #6, that caused the issue. I'll double check.

Your support and fixes were super fast.
    Thanks again.
    I look forward to working with this.

*Btw, in the demo, there's a background mt that's super low rez, soft. I presume this can be adjusted to be higher rez in authoring. I've attached a screenshot.

Attached Files:

33. shwa

shwa

I'm running Unity 5.2.2 and 5.3.2.

Will this work in both?

If yes, is one recommended more than the other?
    Thanks.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  34. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

You are welcome, so glad you liked it and I hope TerraLand comes useful in your projects.

It's weird that the issue came from the Tonemapping effect as it's Unity's default post process, check the effect's different modes in the editor and see which one works for you.

About the low res mountains, these are surrounding mountains to cover far distance views, but as the game starts from a corner on main centered terrains, so you are close to these low res mountains and you see them if you turn around.
    Of course you can give these terrains higher resolution heightmaps (as original high resolution heightmaps are available in project) and/or give them higher resolution textures/satellite images or simply limit the playable area in the center of the map.

FYI, there is a setting in TerraLand which takes each unit as 1 meter while generating new terrains, so if you have a terrain area of 8x8 km2, your terrains will cover a 8000x8000 Unity units in your scene as Tournament demo. The Tournament has 8x8 km2 for main centered terrains and 16x16 km2 for covering distant terrains mixing together. The technique and the implementation is described in here:
    Set Units To 1 Meter in TerraLand

The original project has been made using Unity 5.3.x and should work in later versions. I don't know anything about prior 5.x versions but you can check it for yourself, however it's safer to stay in 5.3 and later.

One last note, please register on our website from HERE and send us your email/password through email so that we can setup the account in order to get latest package downloads.

The Asset Store version of TerraLand Tournament doesn't load correctly as it's missing Project Settings. So it's necessary to download the updated package from our site until the Asset Store version is updated too.

The new updates and bug fixes will be finished by tomorrow and goes for approval on Asset Store.

Amir Badamchi

35. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

The next version including some new awesome features will be released in a few hours. This version has removed all existing bugs, errors and warnings with a new Interactive Map to support both Windows & Mac users as it was the only missing feature in Mac.

Also we are dropping the support for Unity 4.x versions, what do you guys think about it? Is it still needed?

This way we can narrow down our compatibility issues as Unity 5 gives major updates to its API each version and more importantly as TerraLand is aimed for larger terrains and big scenes, so it's necessary to be in a 64 bit editor plus other newer features.

36. shwa

shwa

Sounds good.

Will the new version you just mentioned work in 5.3.2 ?

thanks.

37. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

The new version of the plugin itself works in Unity 5.0.0 and later but as the product comes with the Tournament demo scene which created using latest 5.3 features, so it will ship through 5.3.1 version in Asset Store.

But if you just want to use the plugin, you are ok to be in any 5.x version. However, we still recommend to use the original shipped version for future reference.

38. shwa

shwa

Hi,
    Is the new version now available thru your website?

Has it been submitted to the asset store?

thanks,

39. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Will be available in a few hours and will get submitted to the Asset Store.

40. superme2012

superme2012

I'm interested in this, but not sure of what the quality would be like when up close to the terrain. (About as close as the Tournament desert), I am looking to create large desert landscapes.

From what I understand an image is over the terrain mesh, I assume that image is direct from a mapping API such as google-earth?

Is there a solution of converting that image into terrain paint? or even using that image to generate splat-maps that can then be textured?

Guess the big issue is pixilation, if I can can get round that somehow then I’m happy to buy the asset.

41. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

The texturing satellite images can be in high resolution as they get obtained from best mapping sources but of course not enough for close ups, so as you said you will end up with pixelated and/or flat textures on terrain surface.

There are some techniques to overcome the issue.

In Tournament, there are no custom shaders used and it's only a 25% of blending between the satellite images and a repeating normal map to bring close up details. theoretically doesn't seem interesting but check out the following screenshot for comparison.

TextureBlending.jpg

You see that pixelation & flatness is almost gone and replaced by fine high frequency details, we could also lower the resolution of the satellite images to half in texture importer settings to reserve some memory and performance.
    However this technique works best for less colored environments as deserts and also loses details at shadowed areas.

Another technique is to use custom shaders so that in certain distances satellite images will be blended by detail textures. There's a free shader that does this: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/4143

Hopefully TerraLand can automatically generate splatmaps out of satellite images to be used in terrain shaders. Following screenshot shows the outputs of shadowless map, colormap & splatmap (land-cover) from a satellite image using the MapsMaker component.

MapsMaker33.jpg

And last but not least, we are going to release a new product called "TerraEnhancer" which does all necessary and high end modifications to your terrains to bring the best looking terrains both in shape and visual rendering.

TerraEnhancer uses realistic erosion & terrace filters and for the visuals it uses custom terrain shaders to support Parallax Mapping, DX 11 Tessellation, Procedural Textures using noise functions in GPU, terrain deformation, rock & boulder placement and lots of new features. More info will be available upon the product release. We are wrapping up everything for this product and it will be available after releasing TerraLand's upcoming run-time features.

jamexist likes this.
  42. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

TerraLand 2.1 is now ready for download from our website and it's under review in Asset Store. As always login to your account on our website and download latest packages. And sorry for the delay :)

In this version all previous errors, warnings and bugs has been removed and it comes with a new Interactive Map system using Unity's built-in GUI rendering supporting Mac systems along with Windows.

A new section "ANALYSIS MAPS DOWNLOADER " has been added to the Downloader component which can get terrain's Aspect, Hillshade, Slope & Elevation maps out of downloading terrains on the fly from the server. These maps then can be used for analysis or visualization purposes.

Also both TerraLand & TerraLand Tournament now come with a launcher on project startup to setup all needed modifications to project in order to avoid missing of engine's Project Settings without any manual adjustments.

2.1 Release Notes

• New Interactive Map system for area selection
    • Interactive Map is now available for Mac users too
    • Interactive Map can preview selected area using Google, Bing, OpenStreetMap, MapQuest, MapBox & Yandex with 35 style variations
    • ANALYSIS MAPS DOWNLOADER has been added as a new section in Downloader to get terrains’ Slope, Aspect, Hillshade & Elevation maps up to 8192 resolution on the fly
    • In-Editor preview of Analysis/Visual maps on terrains in scene
    • TerraLand & TerraLand Tournament have startup settings window on project launch and package importing to automatically setup one-time needed modifications to your project
    • Manual Satellite Image Downloader setup is no longer needed as Startup Settings handles needed modification upon user acceptance
    • All Smoothing operations on terrains are now multi-threaded
    • Blending can be enabled/bypassed in Smoothen operation
    • Defined areas can now be rectangular as there were bugs in generating them in previous version
    • “TerrainNeighbors” script can now be added to generating terrains automatically
    • Added “UNITS TO 1 METER” option in AREA SIZE section to always lock terrains dimensions according to units so that each 1 meter is considered as 1 unit
    • Better rendering of Interactive Map window as it uses Unity’s built-in GUI system now instead of previous Windows Forms rendering
    • Removed Serialization Depth errors
    • Removed Win32 errors while opening Interactive Map
    • Removed GMap from project as TerraLand now has its built-in Interactive Map system implemented
    • No more crashes in Mac systems when opening Interactive Map
    • Removed recompiling of the plugin after main operations in TerraLand
    • Added Info regarding each selection in ENGINE RESOLUTION PRESETS section
    • Better connection error debugging
    • Lots of new added features and bug fixes for better performance in TerraLand

Interactive Map

Interactive-Map.jpg

Analysis Maps Downloader

Analysis-Maps-GUI.jpg

In-Editor Preview option of downloaded visual maps

Analysis-Maps.jpg

Analysis-Maps2.jpg

We are now heading for the run-time features ;)

jamexist and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  43. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

2.1 is now live in Asset Store too ;)

44. jf3000

jf3000

Your website is dead, so I opted to not touch your assets.

45. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

jf3000 likes this.
  46. jf3000

jf3000

Can TerraLand do the moon?

47. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

48. jf3000

jf3000

Code (CSharp):
    1. System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path is denied.
    2.   at System.IO.File.Move (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName) [0x0013a] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:341
    3.   at TerraLandSettings.ReplaceConfig () [0x0003d] in H:\Unity\test_build\Assets\TerraLand\Editor\TerraLandSettings.cs:213
    4. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    5. TerraLandSettings:ReplaceConfig() (at Assets/TerraLand/Editor/TerraLandSettings.cs:231)
    6. TerraLandSettings:SetSettings() (at Assets/TerraLand/Editor/TerraLandSettings.cs:194)
    7. TerraLandSettings:OnGUI() (at Assets/TerraLand/Editor/TerraLandSettings.cs:153)
    8. UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

49. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@jf3000 Are you on Windows or Mac?

50. jf3000

jf3000

Windows