Search Unity

[TerrainEngine] Voxel Terrain : Smooth,Cubic,2D,Hexagonal Infinite Procedural Terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dyox, Mar 19, 2013.

1. dyox

dyox

Hi qmaks2, i will answer to emails today in few hours.

I'm sorry for the delay but I'm curently not at home and I don't have my pc.
    I'm still vailable by Skype for the support if someone have any troubles.
    For licensing, I will be available by email from today for the rest of the week.

@tritino : yes terrainengine v9 is ready and contains a multi player server. All scenes and all systems are ready to use with a robust tcp server.
    TerrainEngine is fully generic and all systems are made for networking. The client run an internal server for the solo mode but you can also connect to an external server. The server can be build from an unity scene or build on an external c# project. So the server can be run on all platforms.

I will post the change log of v9 + screens and video asap.

Tethys likes this.
  2. Tethys

Tethys

Awesome, cant wait to get our hands on the new version. We have been integrating Photon Cloud with our current 8.5 on Astral Terra - I wonder how well the new networked stuff will work with Photon?

3. dyox

dyox

I provide a simple TCP server that run a world.

TerrainWorldServer World = new TerrainWorldServer();
    World.Start();

I don"t know how photon cloud works but if you can send byte[] and receive byte[] it will be very simple to implement interface for send and receive data.

TerrainObjectServer Object = new TerrainObjectServer(World); // New client connected
    Object.Interface = new YourInterface();

Object.SetPosition(x,y,z); // Here you set the position of the client, the server will automaticaly call functions of YourInterface();

public YourInterface : TerrainObjectInterface
    {
    public override SendTerrain(TerrainBlock Terrain);
    public override SendVoxelsModification(List<data> Voxels)
    etc...
    }

TerrainEngine contains a simple interface to override for send world data.
    TerrainEngine is generic, so you only need one server to use multi-player on all type of terrain ( smooth, cubic, 2D, hexagonal, etc)

4. Tethys

Tethys

Awesome, sounds great, maybe we can discuss more on Skype next week if you have time. :) Great work man!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  5. SirStompsalot

SirStompsalot

Hi Dyox,

Sent you an email again. I know you're a busy man but hopefully you could shed some light on a project I'm working on.

6. Qmaks2

Qmaks2

Hello, Dyox! I am waiting your answer by email, to complete the purchase process

7. Gurunext

Gurunext

I do believe you're quite my only hope for my utterly ambitious project. My dream here is to beat Minecraft itself. At this point I am stuck and want to almost rewrite everything, with voxels instead of cubes the game would look so much better, but I have no idea where to start other than this project as it's already so much more advanced than what I could ever achieve myself. So if you're interested in helping fellow game designer that hardly is able to deal with his head of clustered ideas you can contact me via skype (kiskislegenda) or gmail (gurunext@gmail.com).
    Even though I like to do stuff myself... This time I really can't and shouldn't.

8. rosdi

rosdi

I emailed the developer 6 days ago but yet to receive any reply.. I believe he is busy.. but I think he should start hiring an assistance to answer the emails.. his engine seems (from youtube videos) to be good but the developer does not seem so serious to be in this business.

9. dyox

dyox

Hello rosdi.
    I don't answer to non serious emails.
    But I will answer here to your serious email :
    Yes, it's possible to create 'minecraft' with terrainengine.
    Sorry for the delay, I hope it was helpfull.

Hello gurunext.
    I'm sorry I can't help you.
    I want only work on terrainengine for the moment.

Hello sirstompsalot,
    I've answered to your email.

Few news about TerrainEngine :
    V9 is done and ready to use. It contains a tcp server that can be used in an unity project or with an external project. Its also possible to a client to host a server in game and other clients to connect to it.

Im already working on V10 :
    -New plants and grass noise color system for more realistic terrain.
    -Height map support
    -In editor terrain generation
    -In editor terrain modification
    -In editor Voxel object creation for mix terrain engine with unity terrain and create caves etc..
    -Voxel object export to prefab with multiple lod
    -RTP shader support
    -Procedural generation working with unity terrain in editor. It will be possible to create complex and realistic world like with voxel terrain directly on unity terrain.
    -A new and unique type of voxel terrain for RTS and strategy game.
    -Fluid support for unity terrain. It will be possible to have realtime fluid flow with waterfalls directly with unity terrain.

DJ_Design and Tethys like this.
  10. Frpmta

Frpmta

Instead of handling everything by email, you should open a private forum. That way you'll build a reference for customers overtime.

DJ_Design and Tethys like this.
  11. Tethys

Tethys

+1 this suggestion.

One of the great benefits to a developer private forum for an asset is the community can then help to answer questions from others, as well as share newly developed items.The forum for our StateMachine system has been essential to figuring out the code and getting help on items. It also reduces some stress for the developer(users helping with support) while also reducing the time it takes to get an answer since other users can answer questions (which is also why making the forum private is important - so that only users with a legit copy of TE can talk and share ideas without fear of letting out trade secrets about the technology).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  12. jalapen0

jalapen0

I can't afford this asset. I will never buy it. However, that is the most beautiful terrain I have ever seen. You sir, are very talented.

DJ_Design likes this.
  13. sk8terboy4

sk8terboy4

Hey can you give any insight on how you make the procedural terrain low poly look with poly world assets? Like how did you create the low poly look for the base terrain to were it was shaded and update properly. I'm guessing you are using the unity terrain and modifying it? also did you use prefabs for the trees or are they generated mesh from code. thanks! and awesome work! I hope I become as good as you when i get into college.

14. dyox

dyox

Frpmta && Tethys :
    Thank you, the idea is very interesting.
    I'm thinking about it.
    This can be usefull now that TerrainEngine contains a lot of systems + the new server.

@sk8terboy4 : I'm not using the unity terrain. It's voxel based terrain with a color generator. Trees and objects are meshes from PolyWorld Assets.
    I'm sorry i can not help you with voxel/procedural generation. If you are interrested you can take a look at procworld/voxelfarm blog.
    Many examples/source code of voxel terrain are available on google
    (Marching Cubes, Transvoxel, Surface nets, Dual contouring, Dual Marching cubes, ROAM for heightmap terrain, etc)

I've uploaded a small video of exploration in TerrainEngineV10 :
    -I'm using Sunshine on this video as example
    -Memory/Load Time optimizations. Around 2.5go memory used during all the video.
    -New noise color system for plants
    -Fully networked client. It connect to an external server that generate world.

I will upload a new video next month with all features + heightmap support + and few new systems.

Tethys and XPAction like this.
  15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Can this terrain be used with RTP 3, to enable its rivers shader and paralax/bumpy effects and textures ?

Also does it support texture blending between rocks and terrain textures like RTP 3 ?

I notice some big flicker when the terrain is destroyed (0:54 time), can this be avoided ?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  16. dyox

dyox

Yes, in next version of TerrainEngine RTP shader will be supported.
    Yes it's an invalid value set by me on water evaporation and viscosity for the video. Yes it can be avoided.

Tethys likes this.
  17. Tethys

Tethys

While it isn't "officially" supported yet, we are using RTP3 with terrain engine and so far we really like the results. Really nice features and you can use the snow feature, if you set the height parameters low instead of high, for sand. :)

dyox likes this.
  18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the clarifications.

19. dyox

dyox

Thank tethys. Do you have any screen of the result with TerrainEngine ?

20. dyox

dyox

I have some news about TerrainEngine V10.
    I'm working on new LOD system that will allow to create really large terrain.
    V10 will contains a new octree based LOD system for the smooth terrain with an new data streaming from disk for memory optimization. (No holes or cracks between chunks of different LOD)
    No impact on performance or load time.

2km3 on this screen with voxel scale 1 :

Unity 2014-12-30 22-55-05-87.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    disturbing, Acissathar and HeadClot88 like this.
  21. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

wait... so is this still $3000 ???

if so .. pfftt.. your creation is worthless. (from my perspective)

.. no explicit disrespect intended, its just the cold truth..

but i personally dont believe in intellectual property (somewhat).. since its just stupid, the value of anything is measured in how many people can gain something from it.. .. this is the basic idea of currency
    .. such as; the value of the wheel is in its application by others, and not the object itself.
    a million tons of food in storage has no value until it is eaten.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  22. dyox

dyox

If TerrainEngine was free, I would not have much time to devote to it and therefore TerrainEngine would not exist.
    But I understand your position.

Mikael-H and Tethys like this.
  23. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

didnt mean to imply that it should be free..

i just meant to elaborate on my thinking

V ... what purpose does saying those things serve?? .. iam aware of that..
    i saw other people griping about the price, and i decided to make an intelligible insight to a problem i perceive.. thats all i suppose

... really though, to make things that are unused is a shame.. but its not his fault, the fault is on the monetary system .. but thats a whole other thing... ... i think philosophically about everything all day... lol sorry

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  24. Acissathar

Acissathar

But was your thinking even necessary? I understand that $3000 is a lot for most indies, but to proclaim his creation is "pfft worthless" and then go on a philosophic mini-rant serves no purpose.

The beauty of programming though is that you can go out and make the same thing he has done, simply through researching, learning, and good ol' trial and error. Imagine how long it would take you alone to come up with everything included in this, and then $3000 seems a lot more reasonable, even if it is out of your budget.

25. disturbing

disturbing

Epic V10 update! Definitely looking forward to touching base via email / pm or skype. Happy new year to ya!

26. Autonoma

Autonoma

I agree with the previous comments about a demo version. These videos look fantastic, and if the product performs like it is described, then it is well worth $3,000 due to the huge number of applications it could be used for. However, from experience, a lot of assets don't live up to their demo videos. Loosing $50 on a crappy asset is one thing, but to drop $3,000 without being able to physically interact with/test the asset first strikes me as a little crazy.

What are the draw calls/verts involved in the V10 exploration video?

What is the return policy if TE doesn't meet expectations?

Joviex likes this.
  27. rudy_xh

rudy_xh

Hi Dyox,

I'm new to the procedural terrain creation engine and your work looks amazing. Do you have any video or documentation tutorial link of How to use Terrain Engine in a unity project? Thank you in advance for your reply.

28. rudy_xh

rudy_xh

Hi Guys,

Is there any video or documentation link for Terrain Engine usage in unity project? Links about usage of any unity asset store with same type as Terrain Engine (i.e. procedural terrain creation) are also welcome, because I am new to this kind of component. Thank you in advance for the help.

29. darkforce314

darkforce314

Hello! I'm starting with Unity3D and I'm very exited with this huge and awsome project! currently i'm trying to make some RPG game, just for fun and learning.
    >How can i get this working on my game? Where can i get it, its free?
    Thanks for reading and sorry for my bad english.

30. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Read the first page before asking questions that are clearly there :p (It's not free, But worth the price from what ive seen)

31. m1a2x

m1a2x

Not really, indie can mean two things; Low budget, or a small team of developers.
    Therefore not a lot of indies will have enough money to buy this thing.

32. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Indie obviously means independent. Whether you are a massive team that is independent and piss poor or a single developer who is a millionaire is meaningless. Of course there is a stereotype now (i blame greenlight) Of people creating half baked games so to speak making them look like poor, Unsupported, non-serious developers. Very sad indeed.

If you are serious enough about making a game to be proud of and think TerrainEngine would suite your needs, Why not make a kickstarter? Why not save up to get it? After all, It is an investment, A great one at that

**EDIT**
    I know 3,000 is a lot of money for anyone spend on something, Investment or not.
    I personally agree with the past comments about a video demo of the Engines functionality in the editor or a unity webplayer to see what we would be working with. As has been said before however, It is the creator's decision in which direction he wants this to go. As of now he seems content with how thing's are going and that's perfectly fine in my book :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  33. rudy_xh

rudy_xh

Hi Dyox,

At least if you have no time to make "how to use Terrain Engine in Unity3d project" video, please share it in the form of textual document. I need to know how to use this engine and how it will benefit our project, before recommend it for purchase to my superior officer. I tried contact your e-mail regarding this matter and still receive no reply. Thank you for your attention.

34. disturbing

disturbing

Got to check out the demos, truly amazing. Just an update on the thread, it's no longer only $3,000 Euros. It's much more expensive now and will continue to get more expensive over time as it develops. I highly recommend diving into it asap.

35. dyox

dyox

Exploration V10 : 3000 Drawcalls. This can be reduced by combining details materials ( Tropical pack is not optimized for batching )
    -I provide a lot of demos and workflow video. You can contact me by email and test TerrainEngine.

-I provide a lot of video and demos by email. Contact me again with your unity forum username. I will answer.

I have some news about TerrainEngine V10 :
    -New Terrain LOD
    -New Octree system
    -New voxels storage that allow a really large world ( 4000m3 to 8000m3 with voxels scale 1)
    -Many optimizations ( Memory, draw calls, load time )
    -UnityTerrain To VoxelTerrain Converter.
    -And more on the next video

This video show only the terrain, but all systems are functional with it (trees,grass,details,etc..)
    This new LOD system is still WIP and will be released in few months.
    I will upload a new video next month with all new features of TerrainEngine V10

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    Tethys likes this.
  36. Tethys

Tethys

Those mountains are EPIC looking - and dat draw distance!

dyox likes this.
  37. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

What's the new price? Been saving up for the 3000 price tag :)

38. jason-fisher

jason-fisher

How much you got? ;)

39. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Private message him and see, more likely to respond to such a question there

Mikael-H likes this.
  40. disturbing

disturbing

It's not 3000 anymore guys - Best save up more than you are expecting.

Reach out to the owner and he will give you an update on the price tag!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  41. neff11

neff11

Price?? im interested

42. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

@dyox I tried pm as well as e-mail you regarding licensing. If you see this please get back to me :)

43. SandJosieph

SandJosieph

How fast can this engine handle things? If I were to make a machine that could go several times the speed of sound would it be able to handle it?

Tethys likes this.
  44. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

I know nothing of it's capabilities but just the thought made me laugh uncontrollably x)

Tethys likes this.
  45. SandJosieph

SandJosieph

Hehe...it would be a nice thing to know, though. I'd hate to shell out a lot of money only to find that the terrain generator can't keep up with the speed of the death machines players create.

Tethys likes this.
  46. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Would it be possible do you think for your 'death machines' to not actually move several times the speed of sound and instead maybe teleport places or something like that to give the illusion that they are moving several times the speed of sound but not actually moving that fast? I don't think what you're asking for is remotely possible on even a high end computer, My advice would be if you're deathmachines worked something like a spaceship you could give the visual effect of when starwars / startrek ships go through a timewarp, That may sound confusing i apologize. Just wanted to spew my head out onto a comment so i could help as best i could xP Good luck

47. SandJosieph

SandJosieph

Alright, several times the speed of sound was a bit of an exaggeration. But I do plan on having rockets and jet engines as attachable parts for the vehicles. ^^'

48. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

I don't have the engine myself so i can't give you a full diagnostic of what the engine would be able to handle so i'm going off of pure assumptions here but as long as you give it enough time to generate the chunks it should be fine, Right now the render distance seems to be crazy good anyways and if it's not the player and just some detached parts it shouldint matter too much in the end, But i guess we'll just have to see when he or someone with the engine responds

49. trblst

trblst

It seems like a lot of people have been reaching out to @dyox but he is not interested in responding. He is still active on the site (from recent activity), yet nothing. Just thought I'd give an update. I've been waiting for a little over a week now.

50. dyox

dyox

-TerrainEngine is greatly optimized, but the generation time will be different for each machine.
    A procedural voxel terrain is not made for flying games.
    The current version of TerrainEngine can not generate a terrain at the real speed of an aircraft.
    It's possible to generate a less detailed terrain but the result will be bad if you can go close to the ground.

Thanks ! A new video is coming, V10 is far from complete but it will completely boost the visual result.

Tethys likes this.