Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TerrainEdge 3 (need testers, feedback, ideas, etc)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Syanyde, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Wolfos

Wolfos

Go to noiselab, press the button that says (none) and select 'generator'. Then you can select what noise to apply. "Selected", only applies the map to your selected terrain, "full scene" applies it to every terrain in the scene.

2. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

A
    I second this. Steps to reproduce:
    1) Open hotfix rar archive
    2) Show content of TerrainEdge.cs
    3) Select and copy all code (CTRL + A, CTRL + C)
    4) Open TerrainEdge.cs from inside Unitys Project view
    5) Select all the code and paste text from clipboard (CTRL + V)
    6) Save the modified TerrainEdge.cs

Afterwards I get the same error as did Westmark.

B
    After importing TerrainEdge from the unitypackage I get an error stating that two (2) scripts of the name Displace.cs exist within my project.
    One is linked to the water shader that ships with Unity Pro. The other one is added by TerrainEdge under Resources/LibNoise.Unity/Operator.
    For now I fixed this by renaming the Unity Pro files and their code. For better compatibility TerrainEdge should probably use another name in the future.

3. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

I've been testing this tool a bit, very nice job!

Love the Noise lab, although painting noise seems to react Very slow; the noise appears after 10 seconds of heavy duty CPU'ing and fan-blowing. This normally doesn't happen on my i7 3,4 ghz PC, so I thought I'd mention it :)

Ow, and another thing I noticed is that I can't seem to undo Texture Changes with TE:Textures..

I'm using 2.67 without the hotfix, getting the same teMesh error as above (unity 3.5.0f5), can this be the cause of these problems?

4. Wolfos

Wolfos

Assets/Resources/TerEdge/teMap.cs(29,69): error CS0117: `System.IO.File' does not contain a definition for `ReadAllBytes'
    Assets/Resources/TerEdge/teMap.cs(112,46): error CS0117: `System.IO.File' does not contain a definition for `WriteAllBytes'

Latest version, OS-X.

5. gryff

gryff

@Syanyde

Seems like a nice little tool.I actually tried writing my own seam "smoother" (although only two grids at a time) a few weeks ago - will have to see how they compare with the actual smoothing result.

The splitter and combiner are potentially very useful for what I want to do, though and it seems to have a lot of tools which I will have to explore including the texturing capabilities.

I think it may require me thinking in a different way about terrain creation :)

Keep up the good work.

gryff :)

6. anadin

anadin

Couple of things for me the teMesh thing, it would be nice if the package came in under its now TerrainEdge folder so we don't get an Editor and Resources Folder in the root of the Project (also the terrain shaders should be in there too).

Lastly, I think everything in LibNoise.Unity needs to be renamed to TeXXXXX to avoid conflicts I am getting conflicts with Playmaker with Rotate and Transform - now to be fair PlayMaker need to change theirs too but someones got to start - I will go and complain to the PlayMaker people too :)

7. l0cke

l0cke

Same problems here. It seems like it forgets whole shader, after returning to editor mode there is "none" in shader field again.

8. Wolfos

Wolfos

The black thing is a problem when you have more than 4 textures on your terrain. It can be 'solved' by giving every texture more than 4 90% opacity. It happens with every terrain shader. Can't wait until they rewrite this terrain crap.

9. l0cke

l0cke

I think it is not their priority. I was doing some comparison of terrain engines between allmost all usable engines on the market (even engines done by 1 person) and Unity terrain engine is by far the worst. It is many years behind competition. Only positive thing I can tell about Unity terrain engine is very good performance for vegetation (one of the reasons are probably shaders, visual quality is low). But as I told, it is missing even basic features (from 2012 point of view) and technically whole concept is 5 years obsolete.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  10. Wolfos

Wolfos

Not just usability either. Trees have some nasty graphics glitches and perform horrible.
    Try making a really dark level and shine a light on a tree, then move the light.

11. aixaix

aixaix

can i i make overhangs with this?

12. hesa2020

hesa2020

Awesome script I LOVE IT !!!
    So simple to use, and so advanced !

13. JamesPro

JamesPro

Will you be putting this on the asset store for sale or do you plan on keeping free? Seems like so little these days are free for Unity! lol

14. JamesPro

JamesPro

After playing around with this and having it render hours of hard work useless I would highly recommend avoiding this package until some of the bugs are worked out!

I tried stitching my terrain with this and it crashed my testing environment. Now every time I try to start my testing environment unity always crashes. I've even tried to use it in new scenes I created just for testing this and it always seems to crash the scenes and make them useless.

15. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

Syanyde,
    Here is an FYI for you...
    I am soon to launch our Demo project and I have found use of your TerrainEdge....
    Thanks for your assistance and for your hard work with TerrainEdge.
    If you care to, you can see a vid and a couple of screens of out work at the post entitled "Whistler 3.5.3"
    The post is under "Showcase" / "Cool Images" the last post....
    When and if some cash comes in... some will make it your way....
    Thanks Syanyde!

16. MCJOHNS117

MCJOHNS117

Syanyde,
    I've been playing around with your tool and first off I would like to say it is awesome!

For my game I am planning on using many large terrain assets (10km by 10km). I haven't been using your tool long enough to know but I was wondering about a grid tool. Such that you can specify the width and length in tiles and set the tile size in units. It would work like Expand does already, except automatically generate the tiles for the whole grid. This would save me so much time in creating larger terrain assets.

Thank you for this amazing tool!

17. SevenBits

SevenBits

I'm going to try this out...

18. Rico21745

Rico21745

@Syanide:

Let me say that I was super impressed with this tool and I really hope you continue working on it. Its by far the best terrain editor I've tried out for Unity. Hope you check back in with us soon!

19. Remsigin

Remsigin

Can't build game, but it works in unity.

20. UnLogick

UnLogick

This essentially means that there are scripts that references the Unity Editor. Of course they can't do that in the player. Inside Unity that's allowed because it allows you to write if/def code that can do certain extra things inside the Editor. Judging by the line numbers is looks like its a "using UnityEngine;" line in the header of the file. Adding something like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. #endif
    Around every code block that uses the Unity Engine could solve the problem. Pay attention to what the code block was supposed to do though, may be you have to write some new code to do what the engine is normally doing.

It's strange that there is such code in there and should be cleaned up. Unfortunately I'm pulling the network cable for the holidays. Hopefully some one will have time to fix it, otherwise I promise to take a look in the new year and clean it up. It might not be actively maintained but I still think its an awesome asset for anyone meddling with procedural and/or streaming terrains.

21. Remsigin

Remsigin

After I add your code to each script it gives me tons of errors when building the game.

22. NeroS

NeroS

Hey I was wondering if your still looking for testers, or an extra hand.

23. TVE

TVE

Remsigin unlogik
    The correction to that would be

using UnityEngine;
    using UnityEditor;

That should fix it. :]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  24. assa

assa

what basic method does this use?

25. Zozo2099

Zozo2099

Please can I know if TerrainEdge is compatible with Unity 4?

26. Remsigin

Remsigin

I am using it in Unity4 works good, but it gives errors when building game.The solution is to delete terrain edge scripts after generatigs terrain (terrain will remain) if you want to build game

and
    using UnityEngine;
    using UnityEditor;
    are allready in scripts

27. supernimation

supernimation

I Want to try

28. ChaosD

ChaosD

is this still alive? i cant try it because i get errors after importing (and applying the fix)

Assets/Editor/TerrainEdge.cs(76,25): error CS0103: The name `teMesh' does not exist in the current context

29. Uranium

Uranium

same here

30. provintrails1

provintrails1

in response to the response to wolfos, im stuck after that. when I launch TerrainEdge, is it supposed to generate the terrain or do I have to follow steps on the TerrainEdge editor to generate terrain?

31. Matt1988

Matt1988

Alright guys I've gotten this to work and I'm really enjoying it, it's like the old unity Terrain Tools on steroids.

The hotfix completely broke the plugin for me so i'm not using it.

What I did was:

1. Create a Unity Terrain
    2. Open the TerrainEdge window. Window -> Terrain Edge
    3. Click on the drop down menu and select TE: Noise
    4. Ensure that the drop down box in the TE: Noise window is set to "Generate"
    5. Chose the generation algorithm you'd like to use (Default: Perlin)
    6. Fiddle with the settings until you are satisfied
    7. Click on the "Full Scene" button and it will generate a heightmap for your terrain.

Tree placement is rather slow but everything else runs pretty quickly.

32. -brainer-

-brainer-

I put it through some test runs. Really astonishing, considering how much of one's daily workflow is covered with no effort!
    Found three little bugs
    1) The Fix Edges/Seams Gui element is about half the size in width of the full pane and the sliders are compressed that narrowly, you can't slide them. E.g. can't set the value.
    2) When expanding terrain, and the original is not on Z = 0f, the expanded terrain pops up at Z = 0f anyway.
    3) Also while expanding, there is a hang and exception of array index out of bounds when no textures are set yet although you mark them to copy @TerrainEdge.cs: 1600 (yes, this falls under the "luser" category :eek::eek::eek:

l

33. hike1

hike1

I tried to put it in an existing project

Assets/Resources/TerEdge/teMap.cs(29,69): error CS0117: `System.IO.File' does not contain a definition for `ReadAllBytes'

and another one for 'writeallbytes,' but

adam's world machine unity project
    http://www.btek.com.au/static/wmdaytime/WMTutorial.zip
    140MB

has it in there and it works, thanks! If someone could post a directory tree of the required stuff I'll try to stick it in my existing project.

34. hike1

hike1

The readallbytes error occurs if you have build settings 'web player' and not 'pc mac linux standalone'

35. virror

virror

To bad this looks very dead : /

36. doomguy95

doomguy95

THANKS A MILLION! ITS GREAT! EXCEPT THE FACT I CANT PUBLISH ME GOD DAMM GAME. I JUST A AN ERRORS SAYING Assets/Resources/TerEdge/teFunc.cs(2,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    Assets/Resources/TerEdge/teMap.cs(2,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    Assets/Resources/TerEdge/teShaders.cs(2,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    Assets/Resources/TerEdge/teUI.cs(2,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

37. UnLogick

UnLogick

Yeah the codebase isn't being maintained anymore but its still a great asset.

To solve the problem with publishing add
    #if UNITY_EDITOR
    #endif
    Around all code blocks referencing editor code.

That will solve the problem.

38. method

method

TE3.0.0.0 will be released in the next month or so...

- Lots of bugs already squished.
    - Unity 4.x compatibility added for terrain material, etc.
    -,New features to help carve up a world into scenes (for async loading used when paging terrain)
    - New generators (noise and patterns) and extended parameters for old ones.
    - Fixes to several of the functions within teNoiseLab as well as a fix to the LibNoise implementation itself.
    - Oversampling now allows erosion, texture generation and other procedures to run smoothly over terrain edges.

Still no overhangs but that's because the ridge (and cliff-face) detection and different types of mesh generators (for different types of rock) aren't ready yet.

More details at: http://goo.gl/AW7H7N

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  39. CaptainPixel

CaptainPixel

Great news!

I had a question(s): Are the features of TerrainEdge accessible via script? And can it build a terrain at runtime?

For instance, in a prototype I'm working on I'd like to be able to generate a random terrain the first time the game is launched. Could I use a script to create a terrain object then call on TerrainEdge to create the heightmap, splatmap, and detail placement?

Also, if you're still looking for testers I'd be happy to volunteer. :)

Thanks!

40. method

method

The bad news is that the next version (releasing in about 10 days) won't help much with that but the next release after that should be much more suitable for what you need.

I've already started splitting the classes into separate files and will be separating the GUI layer from the rest of the code so that all procedural-generation/rendering, etc will be handled by separate classes (which will be suitable for including in game engines, etc. and won't have any dependency on TerrainEdge's GUI or UnityEditor).

My intent for the first v3.x.x.x release was to look at everything TE2.x already did and fix the things that were poorly implemented, buggy or where the end-result could be improved significantly with a bit more effort in the techniques used.

My intent for next release will be having the GUI layer separated from the generation/rendering classes so that they become far more useful to other developers and also have cell management (with a "cell" being a scene with terrain and it's accompanying static models prepared for asynchronous loading in terrain paging systems that use Unity's primary functions for that purpose) in place to make TE and it's code more usable and useful (and much of the latter work is already implemented or being worked on at present).
    ___

For any that need it...

Unity 4 Bumped/Specular Terrain - Replacement Shader

I've noticed a lot of people have had issues with texture-blending artifacts appearing on terrains when they use Unity 4's bumped/specular terrain materials and try to use more than 4 textures.- I noticed the only solution offered required a $10 payment... so I figured I'd write a replacement shader as part of TerrainEdge that at least works well for me on a Windows desktop PC - maybe it'll be of some use to others or maybe someone will know how I can tweak it for mobile devices, etc!? - Tested it with 9 textures to make sure the 2nd add pass would work. ;)

http://goo.gl/zXy29H

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  41. HugoP

HugoP

Those are great news! :D

I need the same thing as CaptainPixel, so I guess i'll postpone the random generation of the map and will work on other stuff in my project.

Best of luck, and thanks for this awesome tool

42. Octopixell

Octopixell

This tool is just amazing! :) Thank you so much for sharing this with the community!

I'm wondering if there's any updates on the newest version and where to download it? Thanks again for this great piece of work!

43. Octopixell

Octopixell

Any updates?

44. Eric2241

Eric2241

Any news of an update?

45. cruising

cruising

I downloaded this, but i cant find the editor anywhere in the menus?

46. PerfectStranger101

PerfectStranger101

Any news on the update cause I love this tool

47. red2blue

red2blue

Hi there,

the tool looks very good. Any news on the release about Version 3?

Thanks a lot!
    Cheers

48. Frednaar

Frednaar

Any news on this? I version 3 available for download somewhere ?

49. ariusdb222

ariusdb222

This is exactly what i'v been looking for! 2 things would make this perfect. Option to apply to infinite terrain, and having different biomes on the terrain. Have a question though, i'm new to c# and wondering if its possible to make use of this tools functions through a script??
    Thanks for this awesome tool!

50. Wolfos

Wolfos