Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TerrainComposer to create AAA realistic terrains [beta version released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Venged

Venged

Hmmm. That is why it is better to have the site that provide a automated download. I do regret my post, but not for the reason you mentioned. I regret it because I am now receiving PM messages from some crook asking me to share or trade the package. I deleted those, and I hope that the sender gets the hint. There is a reason I'm still using Unity Free until I save enough for Pro. Honor and respect of artist intellectual property.

Now back to you my friend. Agreed it is a good asset. After he contacted me the next day I did remove my post but the site should automate the download or provide a pay after delivery scheme through paypal. The Author has mentioned that the will do that in the future for customers.

Nuff said

Peace

2. Venged

Venged

WOW!! This is one of the best assets that I have ever bought. Worth every penny!

3. Venged

Venged

Is there a from scratch tutorial video planned? This would be helpful.

4. eagle555

eagle555

You mean on how to create heigthmaps?

5. Knightmore

Knightmore

I'm thinking about buying this, but from where did you get your real world heightmap?

6. eagle555

eagle555

I'm using a google earth plugin with which you can save heightmap data from a region, and then use MicroDem to make heightmap images from it.

7. Archania

Archania

Sounds like what they want is a start to finish tutorial. All the steps from getting the height map to putting the finishing touches to it in Unity. Or I could be wrong.

8. eagle555

eagle555

Tommorow morning I will make a video about creating heightmaps, as that is the feature I didn't show yet, although the erosion part isn't finished yet, but you can make good heightmaps with it already. The super detail will come with the erosion working.

9. jashan

jashan

This looks very promising and just like something I need. Did your package get through the submission process on the Asset Store? I've done a quick search but wasn't able to find it ...

I'll probably buy it right away once it hits the Asset Store (it's just incredibly convenient to have all Unity-related packages I buy in one place).

10. eagle555

eagle555

It is still pending review, might take a while to review as there's so many options and about 20.000 lines of code.

11. SimtropBuggi

SimtropBuggi

I'd like to see the video of heightmap creation, please make it a big terrain :)

Also, I read the composer can be used at run time, can you make a video and/or tutorial on how to do this?

12. Venged

Venged

Yes this is what I was hoping for. Thanks

13. eagle555

eagle555

I made some procedural terrain today from scratch. It's a mix of 2 terrains types, mountain and canyon. I made 3x3 terrain tile screenshots and 5x5 terrain tile screenshots. It's endless terrain as it is 100% procedural. And it's big :). Now I will make the video of how I did it from scratch to the result.

See more screenshots at my site

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  14. eagle555

eagle555

As for using TC in runtime, I have to make the documentation for it.

15. Pulov

Pulov

16. jashan

jashan

You might want to contact them ... I once had a package that I uploaded and after a month I asked them and they said it never came through. So I guess if it takes longer than a week it's a ways a good idea to get in contact with them and see what's going on.

17. Knightmore

Knightmore

The new pictures are stunning. It offers new possibilites for my Open World RPG. I tried for days to get satisfying results with MudBox and WorldMachine, but it needs to much time to get the world I want. I hope it will be accepted as soon as possible in the asset store.

18. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks, you can also buy it from my site at the homepage.

19. Knightmore

Knightmore

Yeah if it won't be accepted until Sunday I will buy it there.
    But I like the Update Management from Unity ;-)

20. eagle555

eagle555

I have an update function build into TerrainComposer, it automatically updates or you can choose do it manually.

I don't think it will be there before sunday. I contacted Unity like Jashan suggested, and I got reply that it takes time to review advanced script packages. If I don't hear in 5 bussiness days from them, I have to contact again.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  21. Knightmore

Knightmore

22. eagle555

eagle555

Was that you who just bought it?

23. Knightmore

Knightmore

Nope, will do it later. I'm at work right now.
    Are you currently working on a tutorial for Google Earth Heightmaps?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  24. eagle555

eagle555

No, currently I'm working on a procedural heightmap creation video. But importing heightmaps from google earth I have links on how to do that, will add it into the documentation also.

25. Rico21745

Rico21745

I'm interested in:

Procedural terrain creation and placement of prefabs on the terrain. If your package can do this, at both runtime and in editor (I want the option of either generating the terrain at runtime or at least doing it in the editor before compiling the game) you have my attention :)

I have so much work to do, but its very tough to find assets that fit my specific needs, so I usually end up creating my own for my projects. But this would save me some time, I think, so it would be a welcome addition.

The more control over the procedural generation I can get the better. I want to generate the whole level procedurally, this includes creating the terrain, placing buildings, level gameplay objects such as items, mob spawners, triggers, etc.

26. eagle555

eagle555

TerrainComposer can procedurally create terrains (heightmaps,splatmaps,colormaps,normal maps,trees,grass) and procedurally place objects (prefabs). It can do multi-thread both in editor and runtime, but the runtime is the part I'm still working on.

27. Andreaice

Andreaice

Wow I'm really impressed

1)is the documentation provided with the tool good?
    2)i need it for an rts project it's a good choice or it's only good for flight-simulators?

3)i can't find terrain composer in the asset store i should wait or buy it from your site?

thank you very much

28. eagle555

eagle555

These are very good questions.

- Yes the documentation is good, I can send you them before you decide.
    - TerrainComposer can be used for any projection, you can create endless closeup detail. So it's good for rts.
    - TerrainComposer is submitted a week ago to the Asset Store, and might take some more time to be approved, as they need to review all the code.

You can buy it from my site, you don't have to worry about updates, as within TerrainComposer itself is an update function, that automatically updates to the latest version.

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

I also have few questions, money is already prepare to buy this gem but i need to make sure of few things if that is okkei :).

First i would like to see a screenshot of terrain made with this plug-in in the most high resolution ( full power of TC ). I know you said it can be use for any game but i just want to make sure how it will look like on close up from first person camera.

Second, you wrote that in time you will rise the price of the TC, dose buyers who bought this plugin while it was on 90 $ price will have to add to the price to get updates after the price update, or we wont have to pay more ever again ?.

Third can you show us how much FPS you have in Unity while on the terrain ( 40km x 40km i found on your website, and provide us of your PC specification ? I just want to see performance of this plugin if that is not a problem of course :).

Last fourth a video on YouTube showing us creating a terrain from scratch using only this plug-in no help outside of Unity.

I know its quiet a lot but i think it will clear a lot of questions for future reference of other future buyers :).

30. Knightmore

Knightmore

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  31. eagle555

eagle555

32. Andreaice

Andreaice

OK i will download it today.
    I will contact you if there is any problem.

33. eagle555

eagle555

As for your first question I made a new screenshot page on my site with close up views from the island I use for the Island Tutorial video in runtime.

Here's two more

Now this is not the maximum as you can take it as far as you want and Unity/Performance can handle.

Once you buy TerrainComposer, updates are for free, even if the standard price goes higher. At least until it arrives at version 2, then it might cost a little, but I want to keep the price as low as possible. I'm also going to make extensions for it.

As for the third question. Performance is not dependant on TerrainComposer, but on Unity. TerrainComposer does not add or take away FPS, because you can make the same terrain all by hand, there's no difference, only that making by hand takes massive more time and skills.

The video of making Terrain from scratch I'm about to make, wanted to do it earlier this week, but got hang up in making update 1.02, which I'm planning to release today. But can't say for sure. Video will come beginning of next week.

34. eagle555

eagle555

I don't have the documentation at my site yet. But if you send me an email, I will send it to you.

35. Andreaice

Andreaice

I just purchased from your site and did not receive anything.
    could you pleaze send me the documentation and the program?

edit:
    i have the software if you have any documentation pleaze send it to me.

Thank you very much you are the best!

36. eagle555

eagle555

I send the package by mail. I just send it to you. Did you receive it?

37. Andreaice

Andreaice

Yes thank you very much!

38. Andreaice

Andreaice

Hi !
    when i open the island terrain tutorial the scene is empty. It is the start or the end of the tutorial?

it will be great if you could put in the documentation the final scene.

39. eagle555

eagle555

In the readme there's instructions what to do. You have to open the TerrainComposer window: Unity Menu -> Terrain -> TerrainComposer. It starts with no terrain in the Scene, but all the layers are in TerrainComposer. The tutorial is inside TerrainComposer window under the remarks, you can also read the tutorial from the pdf document.

If you have futher questions for support, it's easier to send me an e-mail, as I see every incoming mail directly, and can reply more quickly.

40. Andreaice

Andreaice

THIS ASSET IS THE BEST THING EVER!!!

Great job :eek:!

41. eagle555

eagle555

42. Rico21745

Rico21745

After watching the videos it looks really useful. Do you include the full c# source? I plan on integrating this heavily into my game so it would be necessary for me to be able to hook into the tool since I may need to add my own special rules and things of that sort.

43. ChadH

ChadH

I thought I was the only one who felt like this
    LOL
    I guess I was just the "first" one to experience the joy of this thing (or at least verbalize it in writing on the forum) ;)

44. eagle555

eagle555

I include all the code but I do not recommend to tab into in, because I make updates regularly, and then you would have to paste your own code back in everytime. If you would have feature or rules request I can build them in for you.

45. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is a very impressive tool... and I have to ask you as well, if I would be able to use shaders that I made in let's say SSE...?

46. eagle555

eagle555

That's a good question. Yes you can.

47. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Perfect, because I made shaders that I am using for my level geometry and definitely want to make sure it works on the terrain

48. eagle555

eagle555

Great news, TerrainComposer is approved on the Asset Store:

Asset Store Link

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

Excellent will buy it in few hours ! :).
    Hope it will be only better from this point.

50. eagle555

eagle555

I already released a new update today version 1.02, that has even more features, and included a procedural heightmap tutorial.