Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. joe_ftg

joe_ftg

Okay yes you're right it doesn't need to be power of 2. Putting a value of 3 for object resolution pm worked. Thanks.

2. antoripa

antoripa

Hi
    I would introduce your asset TC2 in my development env. I already have World Composer and it is really nice tool.
    Few question :
    1) Does the package include resource for Grass, Mountain , Tree, etc ... ?
    2) Does TC2 integrate with WC ?
    3) From my understanding the result is a standar Terrain. Is it correct ?
    4) Is there any massive spawn tool ? Example ...need to spawn building or other POI
    Thanks

3. eagle555

eagle555

1). Yes it does include stamps (separate download), splats and grass textures. Trees can be downloaded here:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/29170
    Also some rocks.
    2). Yes it does, I'm almost ready with implementation it this will be a the next update in the coming days.
    3). Yes TC/WC create standard Unity terrains.
    4). Yes this is included with TC2. What TC2 can do is modify terrain height based on spawned buildings. Soon I will make example Scenes and presets for this. Also more tutorial video's are planned.

Nathaniel

Mark_01, JBT27 and antoripa like this.
  4. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    I am going to buy TC2 mostly for integration with WC. What is the timeline for point 2 ?

5. eagle555

eagle555

Within 2 weeks is my estimation. This update was the hardest part. Now I will be able to implement the rest of the features very fast. With every new feature added I will do a release.

The next planned features are:
    1. Advanced distance system for minimum spawn distance between trees and objects.
    2. Make my custom terrain shader work, so colormaps can be created/used. Also WC satellite images.
    3. Make it easy to generate WC terrain in TC2. Will be something like selecting the folder of WC area.
    4. Integrate colormap/normal map with RTP.
    5. Export images, like colormap/normal/height, etc. I want to make that each node can be exported, so also in-between results.

In beginning of Oktober I want to start working on the Mac version (dx9 solution)...

Nathaniel

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  6. eagle555

eagle555

TC2 runtime is very easy to use. I will add runtime documentation soon and also will make example scripts. I just made a script for loading a saved TerrainComposer2 prefab (Terrain Layer). If you or anyone need more specific examples, let me know, then I will create an example script for it :)

You will need TC2 Beta 7d for it. I send this to you by mail.

Today I will finish Beta 7e and the script will be included, I made a 'Runtime' folder for it in the 'Scripts' folder.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using TerrainComposer2;
    5. public class LoadTerrainLayer : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     public GameObject terrainLayerPrefab;
    8.     public bool generateOnStart;
    9.     public bool instantGenerate;
    11.     void Start ()
    12.     {
    13.         InstantiateTerrainLayer();
    14.         if (generateOnStart) TC_Generate.instance.Generate(instantGenerate);
    15.     }
    17.     public void InstantiateTerrainLayer()
    18.     {
    19.         if (terrainLayerPrefab == null) return;
    20.         if (terrainLayerPrefab.GetComponent<TC_TerrainLayer>() == null) return;
    22.         TC_Area2D area2D = TC_Area2D.current;
    23.         if (area2D == null) return;
    25.         // Destroy the Terrain Layer that is currently assigned
    26.         if (area2D.terrainLayer != null) Destroy(area2D.terrainLayer.gameObject);
    28.         // Instantiate the Terrain Layer Prefab
    29.         GameObject terrainLayerGO = Instantiate(terrainLayerPrefab);
    30.         area2D.terrainLayer = terrainLayerGO.GetComponent<TC_TerrainLayer>();
    32.         // Assign all nodes in Terrain Layer
    33.         area2D.terrainLayer.GetItems(false);
    34.     }
    35. }

7. Alex3333

Alex3333

When can I download the update ??

8. eagle555

eagle555

I can give you the download link. Please contact me at support@terraincomposer.com with your invoice id.

Nathaniel

9. Alex3333

Alex3333

Sent you mail

10. eagle555

eagle555

Oki, I replied with the download link...

Nathaniel

11. Alex3333

Alex3333

Thank you, received!

12. tswhitfield

tswhitfield

Hi Eagle555,

I paid the $25 upgrade and found that the masks do not yet support textures. I am extremely interested in a tool like this, but I have also had problems with similar tools not supporting masking or allowing for pre-created terrain. The effects produced by these types of engines are wonderful, but I will be using the first one that will allow me to create the specific map my game requires with noise enhancement rather than just a random place.

Any idea when the masking support will be finished? If I roll back to v1.0 will that let me do what I need?

Sincerely,
    Timothy Whitfield

13. Alex3333

Alex3333

I opened the scene from the examples and I am having the following error. how to open a sample scene, right?

DestroyBuffer can only be called from the main thread.
    Constructors and field initializers will be executed from the loading thread when loading a scene.
    Don't use this function in the constructor or field initializers, instead move initialization code to the Awake or Start function.
    UnityEngine.ComputeBuffer:Finalize()

14. eagle555

eagle555

Can you explain in more detail what you exactly need? With the current version you can use Raw images as a mask, but with the new beta 7 I included the 'Image' node and you can use images as masks. If you send me an email to support@terraincomposer.com I will give you the download link.

With TC2 you can use stamps to create a very precise heightmap and on top you can use noises.

They work fine here. What Unity version are you using? Did you import it over beta 6 or in a new project? Do you use Windows or Mac (Mac doesn't work yet). If you use windows restarting Unity might solve the issue.

Nathaniel

15. Alex3333

Alex3333

windows. unity 5.4.1 . I import it over beta 6 .

16. terapong

terapong

17. recon0303

recon0303

may want post your Unity version as well.

18. Alex3333

Alex3333

19. eagle555

eagle555

Can you show some screenshots of TC window to show how you have it setup?

If you click play/stop, does it work then?

Nathaniel

20. Alex3333

Alex3333

Yes, the generation works when turned on or off

21. wwg

wwg

Hi all,
    Has the detail object streaming around the camera been implemented yet? I've downloaded TC2, but haven't had much time to play with it yet - so I apologize if the answer is obvious.

Thanks!

22. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

He's estimating this month (it's already Sept. 23 though, so maybe next month is more realistic):
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/roadmap/
    (scroll towards the bottom)

23. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

With TerrainComposer 1 we could creating pictures with some colors and each color was a spawnpoitn for something. is it also possible in the new version? or some other options of this kind?

i mean random and procedurally spawned villages or something like this.

24. SgtLame

SgtLame

Hi everyone,

I am sorry because this question must have been asked several times, but I can't find the answer: how do you import an existing terrain in TC2? Nathaniel said you just drag and drop your terrains in the TC terrain list, but what does that mean? I tried putting my terrain as a child of the terrain area gameobject, but TC2 still needs a terrain to be created. I also tried putting my terrain in the terrain setup "terrain" field, then hitting the apply button. This seems to be the right way, but when I add a splatmap layer, and then an item node, the latter is empty and I get two exceptions (see enclosed file) Clipboard02.jpg
    What am I doing wrong?

I'm using Unity 5.3.5f1.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  25. eagle555

eagle555

Like Steve says...it's not implemented yet.
    What is planned next you can see here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/te...red-terrain-tool.151365/page-101#post-2795062

Will also try to implement camera streaming before I start to work on the Mac version.

It's possible with the new update beta7d, I added the 'Image' node. If you want to have it you can send me an email to support@terraincomposer.com with your invoice id. Today I will submit beta7e to the Asset Store...

This is not implemented yet, but will soon come... What you can do is export the heightmap from your existing terrain in Unity terrain script -> Settings. Then create a new terrain with TC2 and use this heightmap as a stamp:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#stamps

Nathaniel

26. SgtLame

SgtLame

Ok, got it, thanks Nathaniel.

27. Alex3333

Alex3333

I have the generation of trees there is a strange bug with the material. Tree installs fine but disappears with increasing distance of the camera. Material doesn't have a color property '_Color'

Material doesn't have a color property '_Color'
    UnityEngine.TerrainData:set_treePrototypes(TreePrototype[])
    TerrainComposer2.TCUnityTerrain:ApplyTrees(TCUnityTerrain) (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Terrain/TC_Terrain.cs:493)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_TerrainArea:ApplyTrees() (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Terrain/TC_TerrainArea.cs:440)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_TerrainAreaEditor:Apply() (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_TerrainAreaEditor.cs:1200)
    TerrainComposer2.TC_TerrainAreaEditor:OnDisable() (at Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_TerrainAreaEditor.cs:30)

28. eagle555

eagle555

What tree package are you using? SpeedTrees?

Nathaniel

29. Alex3333

Alex3333

Yes , I use. Speed Trees. But in addition to these trees I got the other trees. Here on the other trees I have hit these errors.

30. eagle555

eagle555

Can you test in an empty Scene if you create an Unity terrain manually (without TerrainComposer2, first close TC2 window). Then assign those trees to Unity terrain in the terrain script. Then try to paint those trees on the terrain. Does it also give the error? If so, the issue is with the trees...

Nathaniel

31. Alex3333

Alex3333

Yes , you are right on an empty stage the same mistakes. Sorry.

32. magique

magique

On the roadmap page it says the following:

TerrainComposer2 beta 7 (V2.1)
    Is released for testing, will be submitted to the Asset Store today.

Since there is not date of when that was posted, when can we expect to see V2.1?

33. hopeful

hopeful

I hear the asset store now warns of a two-week delay on submissions. Judging from comments made a few posts back, the submission might have made it in on Monday, so possibly late next week ...?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    magique likes this.
  34. Deleted User

Deleted User

It is not a bug.....your tree shader, NEEDS that attribute in the shader code, to work....how else is TC supposed ro access that property? Edit your shader, and change, or add that Vector3 Property _Color. P-

35. eagle555

eagle555

I actually submitted it today. I did a few more fixes and improvements from feedback on the update. I made an example scene with mountains/trees/grass and buildings.

New submissions can take 2 weeks, but an update usually takes only a few days.

If you want to have the update already, you can send me an email to support@terraincomposer.com with your TC2 invoice id.

Nathaniel

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  36. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Anyone else getting this error on import of the beta7d?

I am using unity 5.50b5 version.

Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Misc/HideWireframe.cs(12,35): error CS0117: `UnityEditor.EditorUtility' does not contain a definition for `SetSelectedWireframeHidden'

37. tintilla

tintilla

Hello Nathaniel!
    When I'm open TC2 window, i do not see the (+) sign under "Result" card (see screenshot with red circle)
    Unity 5.4.1f1, windows 7

Clipboard05.png

38. SgtLame

SgtLame

I had this problem too, deleting TC2 directories and reimporting the package did the trick.
    Hope this helps! :)

hopeful likes this.
  39. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

40. eagle555

eagle555

Yes this is only in Unity5.5. You can delete the script, it's not needed. I notice that collision doesn't work correctly in Unity 5.5. It works fine in Unity5.4 and below.

I will send everything that asked for the update the beta7h (this version I submitted to Asset Store).

Yes I explain it here, in the new version this Unity bug is automatically detected and TC2 will give message to re-import.
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#trouble-shooting

Nathaniel

AndyNeoman likes this.
  41. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

But for the next time, it is better to upload a new version (upgrade version) with all the features from the previous version... so i upgraded from version 1 with all features, to version 2 with feature's missing :( so i must wait for the features, that i already has in version 1.

that isn't so good, sorry :( i hope you can implement everything from version 1 as soon as possible :)

42. rerwandi

rerwandi

I don't know if my specs is good enough to run TC2 or not. But when i open the examples scenes, it's really slow.
    Here is my spec.
    Intel Core i7 3770 CPU @ 3.40Ghz (8CPUs)
    4GB RAM
    DX11
    AMD RADEON HD 7400 Series @3GB Memory

43. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

Thats 4 CORE CPU's and 4 Virtual CPU's ;)
    it's not the same.
    So you only has 4 CPU.
    But i thing it must run. maybe the Ram is a little bit to small ;) What windows version do you have?

44. rerwandi

rerwandi

I typed what dxdiag told me :D
    I'm using Windows 10 btw. I think RAM wouldn't affect much as i'm still having much free RAM available .

45. mkgm

mkgm

TerrainComposer 2 v2.17 available now on Unity Asset Store

Thanks Nathaniel!!!

hopeful likes this.
  46. AwesomeX

AwesomeX

Sweet, can't wait to try the new version.

Any hopes of getting documentation on how to use this during runtime?

47. eagle555

eagle555

Well TC1 to TC2 is not really an upgrade. I remade TC2 from scratch in C#. TC2 has many features that TC1 doesn't have. The 'Image Node' is now available with the new update TC2 beta 7, which you can download now from the Asset Store.

Which further features are you missing? What I will implement this week is advanced distance system for objects/trees. This will be way more advanced then TC1 has it.

The example Scenes are animated and generate a terrain every frame, this was to show the generate speed of the TC2 using the GPU. Normally this takes a few seconds in any other terrain tool, like TC1.

I recommend to download the new update beta 7, I included a new example Scene that creates a village in a valley surrounded by mountains. The Scene is called 'ExampleMountainVillage'. Also you can open TC2 project files in TC2 window -> File -> Open...

Yes it's a big step forward. I'm glad it is excepted that quickly :).

Yes I will make documentation for this soon. With the new version I have included an example runtime script. It's in the folder TerrainComposer2 -> Scripts -> Runtime.

Nathaniel

AwesomeX and docsavage like this.
  48. Xander93

Xander93

The update is super nice! When can i try RTP on the example scene?

Thank you!

Xander

49. txarly

txarly

hi,

Anyone can see the Scene is called 'ExampleMountainVillage', i open the nodes are empty and there is no terrain

thank you

50. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

I had this problem, but switched to DX11 and it works fine