Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Elzean

Elzean

just to show that its not the same problem as the other stripe problem depending on resolution, since i can still see the small stripe pattern :

upload_2015-10-30_15-50-8.png

2. Recon03

Recon03

I use this alot for the past few years,and to say he never adds anything, is total wrong.. Also he points to RTP, because its for shaders for terrains.. This tool works well with Terrain composer, just like Horizon On. I'm glad these devs work together to help make life easier for the rest of us...

I also own World Machine and have used since its release.... So this tool also works well with Terrain Composer, so to say the dev is misleading, is silly.... He has helped everyone with support... Look at my reviews on 30plus assets, if I dislike them or feel the devs are misleading I say so. This is one of the few devs I feel is very trust worthy and helpful...

3. Recon03

Recon03

errainComposer is a life saver with it's auto search feature. Also you can easily blend heightmaps created with WM.

What I don't like about WorldMachine and is quite complicated for me is its splat texturing. Here TerrainComposer really shines in my opinion. So there's no terraces in TC and splat texturing is another lie...then how do you explain this...
    View attachment 159222

I feel the same, not a fan of splat texturing in WM either, Terrain Composer is far better...I have done have made terrains for over a decade for large, and smaller companies and even my own using WM. When TC came along for Unity, I was so happy,it made my life alot easier and my terrains look awesome, even for mobile.. Thanks for such a great tool..

The UI can be a pain and I feel that is were some of the users may have issues...I feel some think, that the terrains you made should look like the one they made by a click of a button... So I feel its a lack of understanding of the tool or taking the time to learn it.. Does it have a learning curve.. Yes, is it hard,No...

4. kaarme

kaarme

I can't generate more than 1024 objects, wich isn't enought if I want to generate a forest.

5. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Hi Nathaniel ,

I told you already written twice by e-mail , but unfortunately you have not yet responded .

And although I have bought some time ago the composer terrain and have now again time to occupy myself with Unity unfortunately I can not download via the asset strore because I then purchased him a link via e- mail from you him . Please check my data and tell me how we proceed

Greeting Florian

6. mons00n

mons00n

Hi Nathaniel,

I'm having a grass problem with TC 1.960 which is best illustrated with a picture:

this happens at all of my terrain tile edges for some reason, and appears to be about 4 brush sizes wide on the +x and +z edge of each. My tile output resolution and grass mask from WM is 1024x1024, and is imported as such in TC. Any ideas on why the mask is only covering ~1020 of each tile? Also note that "local area" is set to 0-->1024, and the tree mask appears to be working normally and this is just a grass issue (so far).

After further investigation the problem only shows up at any grass resolution between 144 and 464. When using a grass res values below 144 and above 464 the feature is absent.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  7. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

can u plz make tutorial how to use for mobile devices or documentation or use default setting thanks

8. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Florian,

I just send you an email with a new download link ;).

You need to reduce the grass layer strength or increase your grass resolution in TC terrain list -> Resolutions.

Nathaniel

9. eagle555

eagle555

You can change object/tree resolution in TC terrain list -> Local Area. Shift click >Set All to apply.

Nathaniel

10. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

what about mobile ?

11. Recon03

Recon03

What do you need to know about Mobile, I use this is ton for mobile and for nearly two years roughly. So any help I can give you I will..

12. kaarme

kaarme

I got this weird problem... Resolution doesn't seem to affect generation.

13. Elzean

Elzean

I am using an image to set the colormap on the terrain.
    I have 16 terrains (4*4), each are 512*512 and have base map of 512. The colormap image is 2048*2048, i try to use an image as input :

upload_2015-11-3_12-10-27.png

this doesnt scale well on the terrain, every piece is taking only a tiny part of the picture, so i tried to scale myself like this :

upload_2015-11-3_12-11-42.png

With those all the terrains seems to take the right part of the image, but only the terrain "Terrain_x0_y0" is wrong, it takes the same as "Terrain_x3_y0" and i can't find a way to fix it :/

14. John-Catan

John-Catan

hi I was trying to follow your tutorials at http://www.terraincomposer.com/tutorials/
    for the video "help video creating terrain", I cant seem to find the option to erase terrain from asset anymore in the latest version of terrain composer (1.96), was the option moved?

15. malkere

malkere

That looks like you're only generating 1s and 0s. The splatmap should be able to blend between many shades of gray but in your picture it's going from 0 to 1 immediately. Perhaps your output curve is flat? What are you using to generate that? perlin? height?

16. x_ming_x

x_ming_x

Hello Im using terrain composer to generate levels at runtime, im using the examples as a template and its all working but each time I generate I get the same heightmap even in the editor, so ive searched around but I cant find an option to generate a fresh heightmap each time you generate. is this possible ? many thanks

EDIT .. Ok the randomise offset seems to work for random heightmaps well a random part of the height map I think is whats being used but does the job anyways thanks for the help

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  17. malkere

malkere

have you checked random seed and random heightmap on the runtime script?

18. kaarme

kaarme

:)

malkere likes this.
  19. zeb33

zeb33

Is anyone else having issues with terrain and world composer menu item in unity toolbar?
    Even with restoring default layouts I cannot get them back. Is happening on multiple machines.
    Upro5.2.2f1 Win10 x64

20. eagle555

eagle555

You are right. I think Unity changed the mesh detail settings. I made a fix for this.
    The pattern might be because the scale is negative. The detail meshes 'Render Mode' should be on 'Vertex Lit'. If you get stripes you need to reduce the grass layer strength until they disappear, that might result in you need to use a higher grass resolution.

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

21. eagle555

eagle555

You can change the object/tree resolution in TC terrain list -> Local Area, shift click >Set All to apply it to all terrain tiles.

That is strange, looks like it is a rounding issue. What terrain size do you use?

You can use Unity terrains on mobile but you have to use very low resolutions. If that is still not fast enough for you, you can convert Unity terrains to meshes in TC Window -> Quick Tools -> Mesh Convert. Then you can export the splatmap by enabling the 'Splat' and 'Output' button. I included mobile terrain shader in the TerrainComposer/MobileShaders folder, you can assign a material to the converter mesh and assign the splatmap and splat textures to get it equal looking as the original Unity terrain.

The blending is controlled by the 'Mix Rate' slider in the splat layers, this is probably on 0. You can set it for each splat texture by setting 'Mix Mode' to 'Single'.

It shouldn't be needed to manually scale. I tested it here and works fine. Do you use 1 image and want to split it into 4 images to use as a colormap (with the <Colormap> button) in TC terrain list -> splat textures tab?

Colormap.jpg

Yes I removed the option for safety reasons. You can delete the terraindata's manually from the project folder.

Yes you an use the randomize for this, I have also use it in the example script.

It might be because you have error/s in your Unity console. They need to be fixed first before Unity recompiles TC and put it back in the Window menu.

Nathaniel

22. kaarme

kaarme

I have this problem too.

23. Killersan

Killersan

Hello Nathaniel,
    First, Your software is great, I'm using it from some time and I'm very happy with this purchase.
    I have one question. Is there an option that I could put for example 10 red flowers on the map and them from that 10 flowers in their neighborhood put 50 same flowers to make such.... clusters ? I don't want to make any images for these, just want to make it random.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  24. MrAdventure

MrAdventure

Hello,

Any time frame on the second next update, with Google Maps support?

Thanks,

Vitor

25. zenforhire

zenforhire

Hi All,

The TerrainComp window has locked up and is completely grey.
    Everytime it launches, same error.
    unity 4.5.2f1
    Any ideas?

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.CheckNumericPromotion (IConvertible convertible)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.CheckNumericPromotion (System.Object value)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.UnboxInt32 (System.Object value)
    TerrainComposer.draw_subfilter (.prelayer_class prelayer, .filter_class current_filter, Color color_subfilter, Int32 space) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:12041)
    TerrainComposer.draw_filter (.prelayer_class prelayer, .prefilter_class prefilter, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 filter, Int32 space, Color color_filter, Color color_subfilter, Int32 position_prefilter, Int32 current_number) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:11510)
    TerrainComposer.draw_layer (.prelayer_class prelayer, Int32 layer_number, Int32 count_layer, Int32 count_description, Int32 space, System.String text, Int32 layer_minimum) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:11092)
    TerrainComposer.draw_prelayer (.prelayer_class prelayer, Int32 prelayer_number, Int32 space, System.String text, Int32 layer_minimum) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:8127)
    TerrainComposer.Paint () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:3638)
    TerrainComposer.OnGUI () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:922)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Cheers

26. wheels

wheels

Hey there,

Is there, or will there be a way currently, or in a future version to normalize a splat map? What i mean by this is currently, if you want to overlay a texture (say debre rocks for example) you have to export your splat map and reload it in a layer as an image to allow for unity texture painting normally or, as in my case, allow you to overlay a rock debre splat over the already defined textures. I find this to be annoying extra work in a large project and currently it is the only way to avoid "pockets" where two layers meet and a overlayed texture fills that pocket a little too perfectly. You can see what i mean in the images posted. 1.jpg 2.jpg

27. malkere

malkere

the splat layers are handled as floats from 0-1 so when there are different textures adding 0.25, 0.75, and then adding a 1 to it, the total becomes 2 meaning all the numbers get halved. It sounds like that is probably the problem. You might want to write a script to add your rock layer based on whatever the total current splat data number being used is as opposed to just sticking a new one in there.

But I'm not an expert =D

28. wheels

wheels

Hey there,

The problem is this is a rock texture, i want to apply the rock texture lightly on top of the other textures (using rtp height blend). whats happening if i understand this correctly is the dirt and sandy beach are mixing to like a splat total of like 0.5 in some areas, particlarly where they meet, while its closer to like 0.9 in others. However when i add a rock texture on top its adding the other 0.5 in that area but in other ones its 0.1. What i want is to add like 0.1 of rock everywhere, even in that gap, and i can do that by exporting the splat and resetting it in terrain composer as shown in the FAQ on the site, but that's a lot of work when you have like 100 terrain tiles and 8 textures each. Ideally, id like to add a layer that says "hey, take what i got and normalize the splat total so i can do something with it in the layer after" rather than, "Ok export my splat map for this tile before continuing, re apply the splat, and do this for each tile after because im not gonna export a 2,000,000,000 x 2,000,000,000 splatmap or whatever, now overlay my rock". Hope that makes sense.

29. malkere

malkere

can't you do that with a script? TC only creates things it doesn't manage them. I use terraforming in runtime to change splat/height, after TC has generated the terrain on start. Use GetSplats, loop through them to find the total number at a point, figure out what 0.1f of that is, and add that much rock to it.

30. zenforhire

zenforhire

Hi All,

Problem using RAW Heightmap as an input filter.
    It does not effect the terrian when clicking generate.
    I use the same RAW Photoshop file in Unity Terrain and it works.

I am using the default settings so FAQ does not apply?

My resolution is 1025 x 1025 but TC changes it to 1255 x 1255

Cheers

31. wheels

wheels

im also not a programmer, and it seems silly to have to reload the splat in the first place. there is a combine option for filters, now all im asking is "will there be, or is there a normlize option in the layers?" Also, currently I'm overlaying the rock everywhere equally, but I will use a mask to create clumps at certain steepness and height. I'm just currently concerned with evening the overlay currently.

32. wheels

wheels

So is the silence a no?

33. Undiscovered

Undiscovered

Hello all!

I have stumbled across an issue with generating a terrain in TerrainComposer from a RAW heightmap.

As you can see in the attached images, the raw heightmap contains relatively similar height data within its 2049 document. However when I import and generate this TerrainComposer only generates half of the terrain?

I've used Raw Maps a few times now with no problems how ever i am really struggling with this. Im hoping that Ive just forgot to check a box or something.

Thanks for your time.

34. malkere

malkere

The developer isn't on here all the time, he will very likely respond to you next time he's on though. I can't answer questions like when or if something will be added, I'm just a user.

35. mk1978

mk1978

I have been having some difficulties with TC. I am using splatmaps/colors when defining what textures to paint to terrain. Also, I am using TC to identifying these colors and TC is working just great. Anyway, somehow TC doesn't recognize the Red color when painting the terrain first time. Also, when trying to modify the outcome and painting again with TC nothing changes. Finally, when using the same splatmap for Height painting TC recognizes the red color just fine. Somehow it seems that there are some bugs in the latest version because the results seem very inconsistent.

Has anybody else had similar problems?

36. zenforhire

zenforhire

Hi All,

Feature set says it can covert a mesh to a terrain.
    Unable to find the feature or technique to do it.

Thanks

37. NightAvail

NightAvail

Just curious, but what happens when you change the red color to white? I see that Color4, 5, 6, and 7 all have an index of 4 (the number next to the Pal column). I'm not an expert with TC but it seems the indexing could be off?

38. eagle555

eagle555

Can you show a screenshot with your layer/filter/mask settings?

Yes you can do this with a perlin curve in a mask:
    - Make a grass layer and put your red flowers.
    - Add a mask (green '+' button) to the default filter.
    - Set mask Input to 'Always'.
    - In the mask click on 'Curve' button and choose -> Default -> Perlin.
    - Adjust the perlin sliders to create the patches.
    - Can use a second curve to make a stronger falloff.

Here's an example I made: Perlin_Grass_Patches.jpg

I used 2 other masks to only place grass on the 2 green grass splat textures.

Nathaniel

39. eagle555

eagle555

If you make a prefab of the TerrainComposer GameObject in your Hierarchy and send export it as a Unity package and send it to my email Nathaniel_Doldersum@hotmail.com, I can take a look. If you don't have important settings after that you can delete the TerrainComposer GameObject from the Hierarchy, this will reset TC to the default template project.

This is already possible. And you can do great blending with it. What you need to do:
    - Make a new splat layer, select your rock splat texture.
    - Set the filter output to 'Change' and 'Level' -> 'Layer'.
    - Add masks to setup your rules where you want to blend it. Input rules like height/steepness or you only overpaint a certain splat texture with input on 'Splatmap'. This is a great way of blending 2 rock textures were you placed 1 rock texture before. It would just need 2 rock textures in the layer and filter input on 'Random'.

Nathaniel

40. mk1978

mk1978

I am not sure what so you when asking: What happens when you change red color to white. All the these colors are used in a Splatmap and I am using TC to read these color from the Splatmap and the I define (with index) which texture will be painted.

About the Color4, 5, 6 and 7 and the index. With the index you can define which color will be painted on top of Splatmap color. Basically in this setup I wanted to use the same texture for all these mentioned colors.

41. wheels

wheels

Hello and thank you for the reply.

Ive tried that in the images attached above. As you can see the rock debre is not added evenly.

-the rock debre is its own splat layer
    -its filter is set at input always (it has only one splat texture assigned to the layer after all)
    -its output is change at the layer level
    -its mask is a strength, Always, Add with no curve (my goal right now is just to add an even layer of rock on top of the dirt and sand)

I'm using rtp as well btw, am i doing something wrong?

42. Autarkis

Autarkis

Hi Nathaniel,

I'm wondering if it would be possible to set whatever terrain I have selected in the scene to become the active terrain in the TC window? We've recently had to slice our world up 8 times ( from 16 tiles to 256 terrain tiles) and while i'm reworking it, sculpting more localized details since my terrain resolution obviously improved ;), it's a pain to have to go through the list of 256 terrains in the TC window to click activate/deactivate based on the tile I'm working on.
    (or.. anyone know a quicker way to do what i want to do?)

43. malkere

malkere

The TC window uses the TerrainComposer_Save under the _TerrainComposer GameObject in scene when opening. I am using the runtime scripts so I switch to a different scene with active terrains to edit the Save then put it out as a prefab. When I go back to the scene with the active terrains often then prefab connection gets broken, but if I just delete the Save that's there and put the prefab back in, then open the TC window up it works fine.

Hope that works for you too.

44. Spataar

Spataar

Hi guys, I bought this asset pack today and finding the learning curve quite steep. The interface is challenging to get to grips and not intuitive and the tutorial videos seem outdated. The manual is also not really fleshed out with detailed instructions. Clearly the reviews are positive so what am I missing?

45. Autarkis

Autarkis

A lot of time spent with TC is what you need. I dont know, for me the doc/videos were not that helpful, but opening up the example projects ( or even just bringing up the saved prefabs settings for island, jungle, forest, mountains that are in the TC example folder) and looking at how it's all built proved much better to understand how it all works. Good luck!
    Malkere, thank you, that's what I was thinking I should do.

46. mk1978

mk1978

Is there any possibility to get an older versions of Terrain Composer somewhere?

I am still experiencing this same problem that Splatmap creator fails to paint textures even though the same image mask is working just fine with other functionalities.

47. mk1978

mk1978

After doing some more testing with this issue, I have noticed that you can paint only 3 textures with single Splat layer nowadays. Basically I have managed to get around this problem by using multiple Splat layers.

48. Arkan0ID

Arkan0ID

Аfter clicking set scale it return to 1.

49. Spataar

Spataar

Hi guys, I want to export both the terrain and the combined splat map as files so that I can import it into other projects. I know I can export the heightmap as a raw file but how do I do it with the texture mapping? When I use the export option with the Splat button I get oddly coloured PNG files in low rez? Any help appreciated.

50. eagle555

eagle555

I don't have a time frame for this yet. The issue is that I barely have time. We are running on a deadline with our gaming team. I will resume with the support though.

You need to use a 16 bit raw grey scale format. The same import format Unity has build in already, only that can't import a raw heightmap and spread it over multiple terrain tiles.

So it means height values should be 16 bit. And the file size in bytes should be resolution x resolution x 2. So 1025 x 1025 x 2 = 2101250 bytes.

In your filter you need to put 'Stretch Mode' to 'Multi Terrain'. Also make sure that the toggle behind the terrains in the TC terrain list are enabled. Disabling it means excluding the terrain from being generated by TC.

It actually still works, only the first time indeed it seems to not paint correctly. I tested it here with 6 colors and it works fine. What I see in your image is that you have the last 4 splat textures on 4. So instead of being 0/1/2/3/4/4/4/4 it should be 0/1/2/3/4/5/6/7

Nathaniel