Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

Here is a screen capture https://db.tt/ZHfUPdFq

2. malkere

malkere

I will check this out. Thank you very much!

3. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Hi there,

How compatible is this with RTP? As in, are the splatmaps handled correctly and shaded the RTP way etc?

Thanks

4. malkere

malkere

WORKS GREAT! XD
    EXACTLY what I needed!!

5. malkere

malkere

RTP support is built directly into TC. If you don't have RTP the button doesn't work. The RTP asset page even says "-TerrainComposer (strong integration)" on it

6. eagle555

eagle555

Very strange indeed. I think the global_settings prefab in the TerrainComposer/Templates folder is broken. TC/WC load its settings from it. What you can do is delete it, TC/WC will automatically clone global_settings2. If that doesn't help you can reimport TC/WC from the Asset Store. Let me know if you can get it to work...

About updating. TC/WC have a notification system build in, so as soon as I upload a newer version, TC/WC will notify you.

I'm glad you like it :D.

Nathaniel

7. Locky

Locky

I just bought this and have gone through the video tutorials, but I am stuck. I cannot get the heightmap to generate anything so the terrain remains flat. I used all default settings and pressed <Randomize> several times to no effect.

I am using version 5.10f3 Personal of Unity.

Steps:
    Imported TC package
    Window>Terrain Composer
    Created an empty Game Object: GameObject>Empty
    Renamed the game object "TerrainContainer"
    Dragged "TerrainContainer" into the the "Scene Parent" field
    Clicked <Create Terrain>
    Under "Layer Level 0", clicked the "+" button with "Heightmap" selected
    Expanded "Layer 0 (heightmap)" and scrolled down
    Expanded "Filter (1)"
    Locate the <Normal> button on the "Curve (Normal)" row and changed it to "Perlin"
    Clicked the “HEIGHT” icon at the very top (it turns green)
    At the very bottom, clicked <Generate>

Clicked <Randomize> in the "Offset Range" row and reclicked <Generate>

Results: Terrain remains flat.

8. eagle555

eagle555

Thank you for the purchase. The curve line needs to be at 0,1 - 1,1. I explain on the trouble shooting page:
    When I want to create a heightmap layer and add a heightmap filter, choose heightmap output and click generate nothing happens. Why?
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/troubleshooting/

Nathaniel

9. Locky

Locky

Thank you for such a fast reply; IT WORKED!!

10. Dan2013

Dan2013

@eagle555

I am looking for an asset to generate decent mesh terrain for mobile games (e.g. on iPhone 5) with acceptable performance.

After some researches online, I found T4M and your Terrain Composer.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7065
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/582

I also find Terrain Composer can convert Unity terrain to mesh.
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/faq/

Now, T4M is no longer available anymore, I am wondering if Terrain Composer is a good replacement for it, since Terrain Composer seems more powerful with more features.
    Is the terrain-to-mesh converter a mature feature of Terrain Composer?
    Is there any demo video for this feature?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  11. malkere

malkere

I'm noticing now that RTP3 does not get applied on terrains created on the fly. Adding the script manual does not import the settings. I can code in the settings manually, but is there something already built in for this I'm not using properly? Thanks for the support!

12. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

That fixed the issue. Thanks.

13. eagle555

eagle555

Hello everyone,

I updated both TC/WC.

TerrainComposer 1.95

Features:
    * TerrainComposer has now an infinite terrain at runtime script included that generates terrains around the camera.
    * New mobile terrain shaders. Splat normal textures for 4 and 6 splat textures.

Fixes:
    * The auto search for WorldComposer images is now working again (for placing trees, etc). Also need to update WorldComposer for it. WorldComposer images need to be reexported from an area, because I changed the naming of the tiles to be compatible with TerrainComposer/WorldMachine. If you did shadow removal you only need to re-slice the images.
    * Edge blur for images is now working again also for custom splat textures.

WorldComposer 1.45

* Changed the image tile system to be compatible with TerrainComposer/WorldComposer.

The updates can be downloaded:
    TerrainComposer -> TC Menu -> Help -> Update.
    WorldComposer -> Update tab.

I also submitted them to the Asset Store.

Nathaniel

14. malkere

malkere

Can anyone help me understand this?
    Short story: I'm trying to create different layers of noise, so I'm copying my noise and trying to increase and decrease its strength at intervals.

For example I want it to only boost the detail and strength of the mountain areas, so I copy my heightmap noise and applied a mask to it to try and limit it's addition to the total filter to only the higher values. However the mask curve seems to not work or I don't understand it or a setting somewhere. The only value that changes anything is the left key. moving it to 1 will add full force effectively doubling the noise. 0 will cancel out the layer and give me what I started with. No matter where I move the right key nothing changes.

I though I could move the curve to start at 0.5,0 and end at 1,1 to make only the higher 50% of the perlin get added to the first perlin... but it will only apply 0%, 50%, 100% or whatever I move the left key to to all levels of noise???

I use the curves without problem for splatting and trees and grass... heightmap curves don't see to work the way I think they should though...??

15. kaarme

kaarme

I am trying to create a forest. When I tried to generate trees as objects it was not possible to generate it dense enought. Also when I tried generating a forest with terrain trees filters do not change anything at all and you can still make a very dense forest with strenght.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  16. eaque

eaque

hi man,

I bought your TC and after reading the manual, watching the few tutorials...I cant get not perlin, no noise , sometimes i get a cube at the corner of the terrain....A console message "Style.draw cant call Ongui when gui is null"....I've been spending 3hours with no result at all...

i put the curve at 0.1-1.1, but nothing....
    What am i missing?
    thx in advance

17. malkere

malkere

You guys need to post a pic or numbers or something. Really hard to answer when you just say it doesnt work.

18. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I cannot figure out how to slice a terrain into four terrains (and eventually 16). Here is a screencast of my attempt. What am I doing wrong?

http://screencast.com/t/VJ63t68oqxp0

19. eagle555

eagle555

For using raycast to exclude placement you first need to place the objects you want to use for it and put them on a layer. Then in a mask on your trees/grass you have to set:
    * Input to 'Ray Cast'.
    * Raycast mode to 'Hit' as you want to exclude placement.
    * Choose the layer/s of the objects you want to exclude.
    * Cast direction y -1 as you want to shoot the ray down.
    * Raycast height must be higher then your terrain.
    * Raycast length must be lower then your terrain.
    * The you can select the radius (actually it's doing a capsule cast).

Raycast.jpg

You can't combine Lod objects. Because they need to able to switch between each lod for each object. So if you have a combined mesh with many objects inside it's not possible anymore to switch Lod's for 1 object that is inside, because it's not a seperate object anymore.

Nathaniel

errandfox likes this.
  20. eaque

eaque

Hi,

Sorry for my last message it was late!! lol , i had to check the "local area" to render the noise all over the place!!!
    Now it works!!!!!
    hope this would help begginers like me!

21. eaque

eaque

Hi again,
    after a long try with your "procedural feature" tutorial on youtube, I'm amazed by your TC Mr Doldersum!!

Now i know my project will have a fantastic terrain! Thanks to you!
    To anyone reading this, you can buy TC!!!!!!!! Fantastic tool with amazing in game performance!!!

After one year of work on my little "open world", i needed to solve the terrain issue to go on!
    guess i'm on the right path!
    Thank you very much

Mr Doldersum you are a Genius!!

malkere likes this.
  22. malkere

malkere

Well, the curves still don't seem to work like they should but i guess that's just how they work.
    What I did was copy the same height layer three times and apply increasing detail with a higher minimum per layer. So my mountains are rougher the further they go up... Kind of a weird approach and not at all intuitive. Perhaps I should be messing with Abs perlin... I'll report if I get it working any better.

Still don't have RTP spawning on runtime terrains though =[

23. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

Question is there any way to lay more objects with out deleting the ones you layed before so say I lay all my house1 objects save them then lay out house 2 objects with out losing house 1 objects from the terrain?

24. treshold

treshold

You should use layers, check out the island -example, how the different parts of the island are in separate layers

25. mons00n

mons00n

Just wanted to let you know of an odd bug I encountered. If you import unity's viking village package, then import terrain composer the values for resolutions and such are really screwy:

26. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

no i mean at different times like day 1 I lay one object I go back 2 days latter add another object

27. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I had many questions today, so I just decided to make a video. You can reply with a video if it is easier for you then writing a response.

http://screencast.com/t/YQyF5wOW

28. kaarme

kaarme

This happens when I try to generate grass with high strenght.

29. malkere

malkere

(in my experience) the max amount of grass a terrain will take is determined by the detail resolution and per grass count. if you try to go over that total amount you end up with patches that never even tried to get drawn due to that limit being already passed.

what are your settings at? having grass res one tick higher than heightmap res (for example, heightmap: 256, grass: 512) with 16 grass per square at 1 (full) strength, is a lot of grass. going to an even higher detail res would be overkill

30. kaarme

kaarme

Okay. What about that object generation I mentioned earlier?

31. Tovrin

Tovrin

Interesting and HUGE patch. Do you have updated documentation prepared?

grimcat likes this.
  32. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Would be nice to see how you use the Mobile Shaders and if you added any mobile examples. I haven't downloaded the update yet.

33. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

I just updated my package and I am getting this warning. Anything simple way to fix it, I know nothing about coding.

Attached Files:

34. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

@helgarddebarros -- That's nothing to worry about. Everything will work fine.

35. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

36. charris456

charris456

(See my reply below.)
    I am getting this too. Though, I didn't import the viking demo. I have other assets imported though. I also have serialization set to force text for source control, could that be causing this?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  37. charris456

charris456

For my project this was due to setting asset serialization to force text. I had to change serialization back to mixed, then copy over global_settings2.prefab and then new_setup.prefab.

This was also causing weird issues with generating the terrain. Everything only affected about 1mX1m on each terrain tile.

38. kilik128

kilik128

hi the node system interface is always on the way for version 2
    have see screenshot long time ago and maybie it's just dream prototype

2 question i have try the move terrain script any way
    to make transition lerping more like horizon do

39. Loishtc

Loishtc

How can i export the normal maps, since the menu button for import the preset for the normal map export is not there anymore?

40. Duffer123

Duffer123

@eagle555 ,

Moving forwards, any chance of Playmaker support and Playmaker actions?

Also, could you do demos and tutorials on how to do limitless terrains using this asset?

41. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks I'm glad you like it :D.

You don't have to do that. You can just add another curve and bend the heightmap in any way you want. You can make the top more steeper, create beaches, anything. This example is just 1 filter. The 'current' input doesn't work in masks for heightmap filters. A mask is being multiplied with a filter. You can use a filter with input to 'Current' to change all the previous filters, if you want it to act as a mask you can put output to 'Multiply'.

I will look into getting RTP at runtime, will try to embed it in the runtime script.

Nathaniel

curves3.jpg

Curves.jpg

curves2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  42. eagle555

eagle555

Yes just put them into another parent GameObject. The parent can be changed if you unfold an object -> Settings -> Parent. Shift click >Set All to apply it to all objects in the layer.

It's a serialization of prefabs importing bug in Unity. It happens if you have Asset Serialization mode to text (in Unity Menu -> Edit -> Project Settings -> Editor). If you import it again it might work, otherwise you have to put Asset Serialization to Mixed (default).

Thanks for making a video. Actually you only need to shift click <Get All> to get all the settings that are setup in RTP. Normally the splat textures should show automatically. I will make this work again.

How it works:
    There are 2 modes, standard mode and RTP mode. So if you intend to use RTP then this button should be always enabled.

If <RTP> button is not active TerrainComposer assumes you use the standard Unity terrain shader. So then you get the splat textures/normal textures that are assigned to a Unity terrain and used by Unity's terrain shader. The <Colormap> is just a splatmap image that stretches the entire splat texture over a terrain, to get a colormap effect. That is something I made for people that only use Unity's terrain shader.

Now if you enable <RTP> button. TerrainComposer actually assigns the RTP script to each terrain (if not already there), which you normally have to do manually if you don't have TC. Then you get all the settings from RTP displaying in TerrainComposer if you shift click <Get All>. RTP uses it's own script where it stores all the settings and it only uses the splat textures that are assigned to a terrain (not the normal textures, that's why they disappear). You can click on a terrain and look into the RTP script, the layers will show in TerrainComposer and if you go to Global maps -> Colormap (this shows in TerrainComposer).

To apply any changes to standard Unity terrain or to RTP you have to shift click <Set All> to apply it for all terrains.

What is shown in TerrainComposer is cached into terraincomposer script. So this is not synchronized with actual terrain or RTP settings. I made it this way so that terrains can be created on the fly in runtime. Otherwise what splat textures/grass/trees to assign? This can be all setup before a terrain is actually created.

Nathaniel

Standard_Shader.jpg

RTP.jpg

43. eagle555

eagle555

You have to reduce the strength until it's not placed in stripes. If you want a higher grass density you can change the grass resolution in TC terrain list -> Resolutions -> Grass resolution, shift click <Set All> to apply to all terrains.

I have the readme updated for the generating terrain in runtime around the camera. It's basically plug&play, you only need to enable it and assign the main camera for it to work.

You need to convert the terrain to a mesh (don't use higher then 128 heightmap resolution for each terrain). Then you need to export the splatmap (enable 'Splat' and 'Export' button and click export .Png). Then you need to make a material and assign all slots.

It's nothing to worry about, I just forgot to use SetActive for Unity5, although active still works but is depreciated. I will update the script.

You could use the horizon mask for it:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/how-to-faq/

You can see the changes on page 8 of the manual (in TerrainComposer folder), you need to right click the layer label for the popup menu to show.

I don't have this planned. For runtime limitless terrain I have a readme in the TerrainComposer/Runtime folder. It's plug & play.

Nathaniel

44. Duffer123

Duffer123

@ Nathaniel,

I'll look that up (plug n play limitless terrain!) - excellent.

45. 3WG

3WG

Hi all and Eagle555,

I'm having trouble to find the workflow to use mobile Shader.

For the moment i have a terrain, with the default shader, but i could not find the way to set the same result with 6 splat 4 mobile .

Any help would be appreciated .

Nice tool btw my terrain never looked so good !!

46. Undiscovered

Undiscovered

Hi all

I am having a few issues regarding stitching within the TerrainComposer app.

I have created a quad split of terrains for my world and all looks well with the exception of gaps appearing between the 4 terrains. I have tried using the stitch option but unfortunately nothing happens when clicked.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

47. eagle555

eagle555

It looks like the gap is caused by transform positions not being aligned. You can auto position the terrains in TC terrain list -> Size -> Shift click <Fit All>.

Nathaniel

48. kidnamedant

kidnamedant

Hey!

I am also having a problem with stitching the terrain. I have managed to get everything stitched up, however I am now getting a weird line appearing along the seam of the texture.

Anybody know how I can fix this?

Thanks! AmlRZhNKmH42wv_mWcWZzKPjvA7iSFFcbMfKsFLNs7-W.jpg

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is your texture set to 'clamp'.?

50. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

How would I go about grabbing actual heightmap data from World Composer and then setting all the textures and trees from Terrain Composer? Basically I want to grab the area from a particular area which has a city, but I don't want the city on the texture so I thought it would be nice to drop in all new textures and trees from Terrain Composer.