Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. twobob

twobob

2. Blank blank

Blank blank

Yeah it was too many tree colliders. I fixed it. thank you.

3. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Thanks for that, picked up world streamer on the sale. I do also have SECTR Stream, so let us see what is easier to use and delivers results. At the moment WS is looking good.

4. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Hi, ive just tried openening my unity4 project using TC and WC in u5 and all hell seems to have broke loose.

I have updated both from the asset store and its got worse. I am getting 172 errors and they are all basiclly this:

Code (CSharp):
    2. Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/LatLong_Conversion.js(4,21): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'latlong_class': latlong_class, latlong_class.
    What needs to be done?

Andy

5. Recon03

Recon03

I had similiar issues, make sure it did not download twice , having the same scripts twice, if not use your back up and res install, I had this happen with some assets few times.

6. RSH1

RSH1

When trying to follow this tutorial:

Clicking "Generate" doesn't generate anything. The terrain remains completely flat. The only way I've been able to see any results using this asset is by using the premade examples. Am I missing something?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Neo-Gamefactory likes this.
  7. ksam2

ksam2

Hi, I don't know what I did but today I mentioned there is a gap on terrains borders! like below pic.

I think it's because I scale my terrain after build. is there any way I can solve that? I've worked on my terrains for months! I can't lose it. It's a 4 tiled terrains and neighbor script is assigned.

8. eagle555

eagle555

It's probably too many tree colliders in there.

We did a skype screenshare, and got it working :).

Actually there shouldn't be any seems. If you see seems it's probably because you are in Editor mode. You need to test in runtime to see if there's really a seem. In the Editor there's always seems...

What Unity5 version are you using? You might need to bake lighting. In Unity Menu -> Window -> Lighting, press the 'Build' button.

LightBaking.jpg

What is the size of your terrain? To get more grass resolution you can put it much higher then 2048. For the 24 hour demo we used 8192 on a 15.000 meter terrain. Also to get more grass you can use more grass textures, each grass texture is added on top.

Yes it's work great with TC/WC. Think it's the most easy solution out there.

Thank you for the purchase :). The manual is in the TerrainComposer folder in your project...

No not any script is needed as TerrainComposer and WorldComposer generate standard Unity terrain. Both can be even deleted from the project after the terrain is done.

You can use any terrain shader on Unity terrains. The standard Unity terrain shader has diffuse and normal maps.

TC2 has a completely new linear graphical user interface with nodes and a preview texture for each node. So the usability is on another level. Also I improved the layer/filter/mask system, which is even more powerful. In general it's quite similar to photoshops layer/layergroup system.

Nathaniel

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  9. eagle555

eagle555

Yes it's the package I talked about.

Let us know what you think about it :).

As Recon mentioned it's because there's a double script in there. One needs to be deleted. It sometimes happens with Unity5 that Unity doesn't overwrite a script but creates a duplicate.

If you enable 'Notifications' in your video it should say what I changed to get it working. I also answer the question (second one) on the troubleshooting page:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/troubleshooting/

Did you test it in runtime? Is it still there? Scaling shouldn't be a problem...

Nathaniel

10. ksam2

ksam2

Unfortunately yes even in runtime . I have no idea why! is there anyway I can solve this? cause my game based on this terrain

11. twobob

twobob

I'll add it to the wishlist and hope budgets co-incide with sales.

12. djgriff

djgriff

13. beNice

beNice

Is it possible to ramdomly generate a terrain and also synchronize the settings over a network?

14. s2quinnh

s2quinnh

I'm trying to slice using Terrain Composer 1.920 on Unity 5.1.2f and getting this error:

Exception: Float array size wrong (layers should be 0)
    UnityEngine.TerrainData.SetAlphamaps (Int32 x, Int32 y, System.Single[,,] map)
    TerrainComposer.slice_terrains () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:17319)

My Situation:
    I have 1 giant terrain that was made without the tool, but now I need to slice it into sections. It has some detail meshes and splat textures on it. I can give more details if you need.

Thanks in advance

15. s2quinnh

s2quinnh

I found this forum: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sl...hamaps-returns-wrong-size-float-array.136985/

Which states that you need to set the prototypes before you set the alpha.

EDIT: I also found this script online, it's massively slower than your tool, but it seems to work. Might help for your debugging?

http://kostiantyn-dvornik.blogspot.com/2013/12/unity-split-terrain-script.html

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  16. Falagard

Falagard

Hi, I bought Terrain Composer a couple days ago.

A few questions:

1. Is it possible to set the various resolutions (Heightmap, Splat Map, Base Map) when a scene is loaded and prior to generating the terrain?
    2. If I purchased the World Streamer plugin, which as I understand is the one that integrates the best with Terrain Composer, how does the dynamic loading work? For example, if I break my terrain up into 4x4 tiles, and the World Streaming system only loads a few surrounding tiles, is it faster to load, or does Terrain Composer load and generate the data for all tiles?

I'm asking these questions because I'm targeting low end machines and want to conserve memory. I'm trying to figure out if it's better to export meshes or use Terrain Composer at runtime.

Regards,
    Clay

17. malkere

malkere

I'm jumping on the bandwagon here after months of VoxelFarm. Really looking forward to moving headfirst into this... unfortunately I selected paypal as my payment option and it wants me to wait 3-5 business days for my "verified account" to be approved... whatever that means... I'll try and cancel it when I get home and credit card it.

anyway, same question as above. My game loads as the player moves and my self-written loaders are I'm certain far less capable than World Streamer. I'll be looking into that next week or so though after I get my game working better in WC. Will chime in with questions when I have them. Thanks for sale and the supportive presence.

18. MrGky93

MrGky93

he it is possible to make very very large big terrains ??
    Because when i make my own terrain normal unity tool and set the
    terrain width 10000
    terrain length 10000
    and put my character with animaton its buggy he shake like someone have parkinson but really heavy parkinson and when i put it on the left end side of my my terrain float overflow.
    Question its it possible to make it with this tool ?? With no overflow and shaking??

19. Jarek-Defiler

Jarek-Defiler

Sorry for the late reply. My map is 8192x8192.

I've tried 1024-8197 resolution with 3-8 grass textures. I've also tried 8-128 grass per patch with still no good results. The grass simply will not thicken.

20. Neo-Gamefactory

Neo-Gamefactory

How does it works?
    I can't find anything about that.
    only thing in YouTube is the image placement for trees, but i want to make this with the table and the Laptop on it.

21. knotFF

knotFF

I wish to use the AFS grass shader on a mesh terrain. In order to get full advantage of the grass shader (shadows, etc) I need to place the grass as gameobjects.
    I am looking to get the same density I get when I apply the grass with a texture on the terrain. Unfortunately it seems I cannot get the density down to a level where it looks even remotely similar. Of course I will not apply grass everywhere, but only om certain paths, but on theses paths I want/need for the grass to be dense.
    I've tried using the maximum resolution on the mesh and changing the layer strength, but nothing seems to work. Is there a setting I am missing? Or something to do with the mesh density (vertex count) or something like that?

One example. If I make a simple plane and a sphere on Unity and leave them with the default values. If I use the place as mesh and make a prefab of the sphere to use as and Object. I can only place 99 objects on the plane.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  22. knotFF

knotFF

23. gilley033

gilley033

Hi,

This has probably been asked already, but the search mechanics on this site suck. What is the estimated release date for Terrain Composer 2? The new node based system looks awesome, and I'm wondering whether I should just wait for it rather than try and figure out the current system (just purchased your package yesterday).

Thanks!

24. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

hi is it possible to create unlimited terrains that generate automatically during runtime?

25. magique

magique

I own Terrain Composer and RTP 3, but I've barely touched on either product. They're a bit intimidating for a new user. That being said, my biggest problem with terrain development on the Wii U platform is performance. Unity terrain just doesn't perform well at all. In tests, I've found that I can gain 20 fps just by replacing Unity terrain with mesh terrain. Now, I see that Terrain Composer not only supports slicing up terrains and exporting to mesh objects, but also supports generating 3D objects on meshes. And I know RTP 3 allows terrain shading on meshes. But can all this be done easily and be easy to modify? Are there any tutorials to show a step-by-step Terrain Composer terrain generation that would allow me to convert it to a mesh that has all the generated grass and trees on the mesh and can render the terrain shading through RTP on the mesh? Or is this a pipe dream?

mk1978 likes this.
  26. malkere

malkere

I accidentally set up two orders for Terrain Composer so I cancelled one, but it went through a couple days later anyway =[ Can you please refund one of the two for me. I will send you an e-mail as well. Thank you!

27. klund

klund

Colormap issue:
    1. I have use worldcomposer to generate a raw heightmap from and asciifile. I have used terraincomposer to generate a terrain composed of 3x3 tile til each 2049x2049.
    2. I have activated the colormap tool and have generate 3x3 color tiles of 256x256 each with 2 colors (blue and green) but the terrain is still only white with shadows.
    WHAT have i done Wrong ? Skærmbillede 2015-09-10 kl. 18.14.58.png

Here is the settings - also i am on unity 5.1.3p1 with build target mac:

28. Unioxe

Unioxe

Hi,

I do not find Terrain Composer in Unity menu, this is normal?

If so how can I find it? If not, how to fix this error?

URL :

Thank you

29. eagle555

eagle555

You can stitch the terrains in Quick Tools -> Stitch Tool tab. It's best to make a backup of your TerrainData's from your project first. Try it first with setting the border influence slider all the way to the left (lowest value).

Yes with TerrainComposer runtime this is possible. You would need to send the settings you use over the network. So you need to do custom programming for this.

I tested slicing here and works fine. Can you tell me the size and resolutions of your terrain? (heightmap resolution, splatmap resolution, detail resolution).

1). Yes then you need to use TerrainComposer runtime for it. It can generate and create terrains on the fly in runtime:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/runtime/
    2). Yes you can setup in World Streamer how much it loads.This will be much faster then to let TerrainComposer runtime generate terrains on the fly.

It is actually 100.000 (100 km), this is just a GUI limitation, in TerrainComposer you can make 1 terrain tiles even bigger, however it would be better to use more terrain tiles for this. As for the jittering this is do to floating point precision.

As for floating point precision. There's a lot of information about it online:
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/780109/floating-origin-issues.html
    They also experienced it in Kerbal Space Program game, and have worked around it.
    http://kerbalspace.tumblr.com/post/16291223741/the-story-of-ksp-ksp-02

Most be something wrong with your settings. Did you try to paint grass with the high resolution with the Unity terrain script?

In object layers you can create for each object another Layer Level. Basically do exact the same things that you do on a terrain already with TerrainComposer, but then around the object you place, and this can be done in unlimited amount of levels. If you unfold an object -> Settings -> You can click the 'Create Layer Level' button (Changes to 'Erase Layer Level' after clicking to erase it again). Then you need to setup the world area parameters to generate around the placed object.

Multi Level generation.jpg

Nathaniel

30. eagle555

eagle555

You can change the object resolution in TC terrain list -> Local Area - > Object resolution.

This is a bug in Unity serialization on prefabs. It happens if you have in Unity Menu -> Edit -> Project Settings -> Edit -> Asset Serialization -> Force Text. If you put it to Mixed it should work. Also what you can try to do is keep it on Force Text and try to reimport TerrainComposer it will ask to replace all prefabs. If that doesn't work change it to Mixed mode.

TerrainComposer 2 will use the same underlying system, so learning TC1.9 has much benefit in being able to use TC2. Only in TC2 it will be more easy. I hope to release it somewhere in 1-2 months.

Yes this is possible with TerrainComposer runtime, but it needs some custom programming to move the terrains around.

Yes a terrain mesh can be quicker for smaller resolution but the downside is that there's no grass/tree billboard system for it. I'm not sure if RTP works on Wii as it needs shader model 3. So trees and grass would need to be placed as objects on a mesh. To convert to a mesh in TerrainComposer you can do it in Quick Tools -> Mesh Convert tab. I included mesh terrain shaders. All you need to do is export the splatmaps in TC. To do that you need to enable 'Splat' and 'Export' button in the top of TC window. Then you need to create a material and select the terrain shader you want to use and assign the splatmap textures and the splat textures.

For that I need your invoice Id for the copy you want to have refund. I also replied that to your email.

The colormap feature in TerrainComposer generates a colormap image. This needs to be applied to a terrain shader like RTP or Ats colormap shader. Or you can use it as a splat texture in TC terrain list go to 'Splat Texture' tab and shift click <Colormap> button. Then assign the colormap texture to the new colormap slot, then shift click <Set All>.

This is probably because you have an error in your Unity console (control-shift-c to show it in Unity Editor). Errors need to be fixed first before any package with code will be compiled by the compiler. So when your errors are fixed TerrainComposer should appear in the Window menu.

Nathaniel

Neo-Gamefactory likes this.
  31. Jarek-Defiler

Jarek-Defiler

Yeah. When painting it, I can increase the density. However, that will take vast amounts of time. I'm also using RTP and wondering if that may be causing it. Also, I have been getting this error:

"The tree Fern must use the Nature/Soft Occlusion shader. Otherwise billboarding/lighting will not work correctly."

It says this for most of the grass textures I have...guess I should have mentioned that earlier.

Also, when I was adjusting one of the splat textures, upon generation it added an image of the splat map in the corner of each terrain. This is the first time I've seen this:

Untitled.png

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  32. klund

klund

Is there a video or document where you explain how to apply a sattelite image to a heightmap/terrain as done in worldcomposer ?

33. klund

klund

UNITY 5.2: Looks like there is an issue with import of 4096x4096 raw heightmap now that unity has fixed its own import issue with 4096x4096 heightmaps. Works in unitys terrain settings but not in terraincomposer - for me

34. Matro

Matro

Terrain Composer Import Tutorial has two different splat maps. I have managed to get one but it does not look the same not sure that matters but how do I get another splat map like in the pictures.
    Screenshot3.jpg Mine

Screenshot1.png Screenshot2.png The ones from the tutorial.

35. malkere

malkere

Thank you for handling my double purchase problem eagle555!

36. montyfi

montyfi

I have generated 4x4 terrains (1000x500x1000) using Procedural Islands template and only now noticed those strange steps on some terrains. How to make mountains smooth? I would appreciate any advice.

Attached Files:

37. xelvod

xelvod

Is there a tutorial to show step by step ...i bought this tool 2 weeks ago and i still didn't manage to create anything.
    Tutorials are outdated and UI is not user friendly.

klund likes this.
  38. Tovrin

Tovrin

I'm trying playing around with the terrain, doing a bit of sculpting and putting in ponds and rivers. I have a bit of a problem though in that I'm not sure how to stop grass and trees from sprouting up in the areas I'm sculpting. Does anyone have any ideas? I saw the section on raycasting and that may be what I need ... but I'm not sure if I understand it really and how to make it work.

39. klund

klund

My mistaken. Thought terraincomposer could import geotiff from gdal. It does accept it but the result is strides in the map and that the map is shifted on the x axis .

If you use gdal to resize or convert heightmap data in an ascii fil then the following command wll work for unity:
    gdal_translate -outsize 4096 4096 -r lanczos -ot UINT16 -scale 0 255 0 65535 -of ENVI DTM_622_57.asc DTM_622_57_2096_lanczos.raw

where:
    -outsize 4096 4096 is the resize
    -r lanczos is the interpolation function. Other functions are available
    -ot UINT16 is the binary format
    -scale 0 255 0 65535 rescaling. Can be omitted because the default does the same
    -of ENVI DTM is the fileformat required by unity and terraincomposer
    -inputfile.asc your ascii input file
    -outputfile.raw your output file

remember to flip the y axis on import to unity

40. klund

klund

Agree you pretty much have to understand the entire complexity of the ui before getting anything done. I hope the nodebased version TC2 will allow us to start one step at at time and get something done in each step.

41. montyfi

montyfi

This happened when I changed terrains resolution from 256 to 2048. And now, when I try to reload from save, terrain composer window just vent blank with lot of unassigned references in console. I have to start over from scratch and cannot even restore the previous values in procedural generator, because manual editing of values doesn't work.
    All of this despite "With TerrainComposer you can change the terrain resolutions on the fly at runtime and regenerate everything"

42. klund

klund

Have you selected the height tools and pressed "Generate" to force a new import of the heightmap

43. montyfi

montyfi

Yes, heightmaps were corrupted exactly after pressing "Generate". Then I tried to regenerate terrains completely using "Start" button in procedural example. And things went completely crazy, whole terrains started to look like chart diagram with spaces between bars. At that point I was forced to delete all terrain composer scene objects and start over.

44. klund

klund

You can go to the unity-terrain object in the Hierarchy and import the heightmap there under the terrain settings

45. klund

klund

How do i increase the density for grass and trees ?
    The terrain is 10kmx10km based on a danish heightmap of size 4096x4096.
    The highest density i can obtain is about 1 tree/grass pr 100 to 200 meters- Hardly a forrest. How do i increase it by a factor 10-100 ?

46. montyfi

montyfi

Not sure, but maybe these:
    Trees: Terain->Local Area->Trees resolution
    Grass: Terrain->Resolution->Grass Resolution

47. montyfi

montyfi

I'm really missing something, in this video:

Nathaniel increases terrain resolution, then creates normal map.
    When I do the same, terrains resolution increased by creating discrete steps. What setting am I missing? I don't want my hi-res terrain looks like minecraft :)

And this is what I'm getting when I try to regenerate terrain in procedural example:
    InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    System.Collections.Stack.Peek () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/Stack.cs:321)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.EndLayoutGroup () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:278)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.EndOffsetArea () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:425)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:348)

48. Jarek-Defiler

Jarek-Defiler

Yeah I have this problem as well and haven't figured out a solution. Highly frustrating. Please let us know if you find a fix. I've been trying all sorts of stuff to no avail. I'm holding off on wiping everything AGAIN because too much time has been invested in this round. :mad:

49. montyfi

montyfi

I saved the height map in RAW file this time and was able to load it back and play with that, disabling all original layers and masks. Now I see that saved height map is 1024x1024, this is why I have strange steps when try to increase terrain resolution, Smooth helps, but not much.
    I have increased its size to 4096x4096 in Photoshop. Is anyone know how to make it smooth? I have tried to apply blur multiple times but it makes no difference, it still have the same steps in Unity.

50. klund

klund

Thanks this can increase the tree resolution but the grass density is still redicoulous. 1 straw pr 20 meters:(

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015