Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. TimWardell

TimWardell

Hi,

Wonderful assets! However, i can't get things to tile properly when I don't export directly from WC to TC.

I can get the normalized heightmap to apply to the terrains but he image files are turned, or inverted or something. I'm not sure really sure what i'm doing wrong.

Before Auto Search

0x_0y_bottom_left.png
    After Autosearch
    0x_0y_bottom_left_weird_auto.png

2. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Steve,

I made terrain settings in TC because in Unity there's no way to edit them for multiple terrains through the Unity terrain script. Assigning the physics material into the terrain collider script you can do for multiple terrains, I can add this setting to TerrainComposer in the next update.

You can choose if you create splatmaps/colormaps/normal maps with WM or TC. In TC splatmaps and colormaps are more easy to make. Making them in WM does not necessary give better results. I explain in the 24 hour demo document how we used both to create the splatmap:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/if9dpxqeseenj11/24 Hour demo - How we made it.pdf

All the TerrainComposer tutorials are here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/tutorials/

As for the RTP warning. RTP combines multiple normal and height textures into a single texture, this boost performance and allows more textures to be used on the shader. However that requires these textures need to be the same resolution. You can set these settings on the texture in your project with the Texture Import settings:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TextureImporter.html

Yes this is a bug in Unity serialization on prefabs. It happens if you have in Unity Menu -> Edit -> Project Settings -> Edit -> Asset Serialization -> Force Text. If you put it to Mixed it should work. Also what you can try to do is keep it on Force Text and try to reimport TerrainComposer it will ask to replace all prefabs. If that doesn't work change it to Mixed mode.

As for the flat terrain I explain in on the trouble shooting page second question:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/troubleshooting/

Nathaniel

3. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

Can I give you some advice? Learn RTP first, and separate from TC. Terrain Composer is sort of like an uber extension of built in Unity Terrain. RTP on the other hand is it's own beast... and it's a FINICKY beast. All of your normal and height textures have to be the same size... Sometimes you have to set terrain material under the terrain settings to "Custom" to get it to kick in. When it does kick in for the first time, everything will look like plastic and metal, and your heart will skip a beat in fear. Start watching the RTP tutorials on youtube, learn what all of those fancy sliders do, and start taming the beast... reduce specular power, set transition distance to different tiling scale levels, overlay the entire terrain with superdetail textures... and watch that terrain come to life! Then once you've got that down, bring up Terrain Composer and go to town. Terrain Composer is "integrated" with RTP but I'd say only as far as quickly driving the splat textures to the shader. When you get Terrain Composer mixing your splat textures in a good way, and you have RTP set up for those textures, then you'll be heaven. :)

4. eagle555

eagle555

Thank you for the purchase. For meshes you need a special splatmap shader. I included these in a UnityPackage in the TerrainComposer/MobileShaders. What you need to do is first create a Unity terrain, and after doing the heightmap and splat textures (either 4 or 8 splat textures), you can convert it to a mesh terrain in Quick Tools -> Mesh Convert. Then you need to export the splatmap/s (1 splatmap is needed for every 4 textures) create a material and use the shader from the mobileshader package and assign the textures.

Yes Unity terrain performance seems to be improved and worked on in Unity 5. It's great news.

TC doesn't have this but you can use Dynamic Loading kit from the Asset Store for it. I have a terrain tile name conversion tool if you're planning to use it.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but you can make normal maps from the color map layer:
    Help Video Making normal maps with TerrainComposer (New) (See page 8 of the TC manual, have to right click the layer label to open a preset).

Getting tiling on default is indeed normal as it's the nature in which splatmaps work. A splat texture is repeated over the terrain a x amount of times and each splat texture uses 1 color channel in the splatmap for the blending with each other. This technique is used to get a much higher texture resolution, if you would need to stretch a texture over the entire terrain it would look really blocky.

To get rid of tilling you indeed need to blend more splat textures together like I explain in the splat texture post above. Further you can set the tile size for each splat texture in TC terrain list -> Splat Textures -> Settings -> Tile Size. If you use RTP, it's the master of getting rid of tiling (UV blending, perlin normal and far replace). Tom explains in his tutorial video what options there are:

Nathaniel

5. Tovrin

Tovrin

Hi Nathaniel

Just to clarify, this is the selector for hte color map.

There doesn't seem to be a similar thing for the normals of the color map.

Thanks for the link to that video. I'm watching it now.

6. Recon03

Recon03

I been making a open world mobile game, with terrain composer, what is the best way to handle an open world, I use the LOD's .. But wondering if there is a better way that I should for performance reasons, like loading, and unloading scenes , I rather not do it if I can help it ..

My PC open world, I did use loading and unloading AKA. streaming .

7. xinoHITO1

xinoHITO1

Hello I have a project and I imported the example and created the terrains and the lighting with no problem but when I click on "Start" it doesn't create the terrain.... it just stays flat with a few spikes like in the image.

Also in the Choose Example section in the left it says a lot of numbers instead of the names of the examples.

I already tested on another empty project and it worked fine... so i wanted to used it in my main project but this happened.

Attached Files:

8. LondonStevey

LondonStevey

Hey Nathanial,
    Ahh thanks, ha its not too much of a problem settings them in Unity, I just have a 10minute special moment after generating new terrains when I forget to set the physic material and wonder why things aren't moving like they should! :)

A question about splat exporting and maybe Horizon[on] I know its the wrong format but wondered if you had any suggestions.
    I'm having fun creating mountains at the moment and am trying to use Horizon[on]. So wanted to export a topdown view of the splatmaps and just use that as the colormap in Horizon[on], that way I know the textures are going to be correct.
    So for this I thought I'd need to select 'Splat'/ Select 'Export', enter the filename and then the topdown splat would be exported. Although I end up with 16 empty png files. Am I doing something wrong there for a splat export?

I was then going to use that as the colormap and place some random mountains in the distance of Horizon[on]. Is that a good workflow do you think?

Many Thanks

Steve

Attached Files:

9. Tovrin

Tovrin

Ok ... silly noob question. Can anyone tell me Terrain Composer can handle putting some trees down, but others refuse to render?

10. eagle555

eagle555

This is indeed a bug, it was working before. This week I will update TC/WC and this will be fixed.

Actually there is for RTP. Standard Unity terrain shader doesn't support a global normal map. RTP has it though, it needs to be activated in RTP LOD manager, and then the normal map button will show in TC like the Colormap button.

Yes streaming can help. There are a few streamers you can use from the Asset Store, I recommend to try this one:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/36486
    With this streamer you only have to click a few buttons to click and your Scene will be automatically divided into size pickable area's.

This is a bug in Unity's 5 serialization on prefabs. It happens if you have in Unity Menu -> Edit -> Project Settings -> Edit -> Asset Serialization -> Force Text. If you put it to Mixed it should work. Also what you can try to do is keep it on Force Text and try to reimport TerrainComposer it will ask to replace all prefabs. If that doesn't work change it to Mixed mode.

After reimporting try the examples again in a new Scene.

You can't really export a splatmap as an image. Because a splatmap is actually a kind of mask for the shader.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_splatting
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/15707/is-there-a-way-to-export-a-terrain-texture.html

Do you have any screenshots of the issue?

Nathaniel

11. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

@eagle555, thanks for the information! I see, so it doest sound possible to paint splatmaps directly on custom meshes then. Ive created my own terrain geometry with optimized topology and uvs, so I didnt want to convert to a unity terrain and lose all of this work. (Sadly, when converting geo --> unity terrain --> geo all of the custom topology and uv work is lost.) Would you ever consider expanding the splat map painting to use regular meshes as well? Thanks again!

12. TimCool

TimCool

Hi Everyone,
    First off thanks for any help/suggestions.
    I'm new to Unity and Terrain Composer. I'm following along with the tutorials and I'm using the Example Package, when I hit the start button, nothing happens to my terrain. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

13. Tovrin

Tovrin

I'm just about to head off to work so I can't do a screenshot, but I can tell you that only about half of the free "Terrain Assets" pack from Unity display (definitely the palm tree's but there are others as well). I can drag them onto the scene, but they don't render using the trees generator in TC. It's a bit odd.

14. patrickg

patrickg

Is there more of an advanced tutorial for going from start to something intensely detailed? I can get a nice result from making large terrains and popping trees and grass all over, but now I'm seeking ways to better refine the terrain to a polished, walkable place where I can put down buildings and characters for my RPG. I expect this will require additional mask layers and other tricks I'm simply not aware of. Thanks for a great product! (TC + RTP + AFS)

15. LondonStevey

LondonStevey

Hey Nathanial,
    Thanks, following the process in that second link has worked really well!
    Sorry another question about multiple terrains.
    I'm trying to create something similar to what you have in you multi resolution world machine video. Where the mountains are high res close up and lower res further away. To do this I have 2 parent game objects called terrainsnear and terrainsfar.

In the near ones I've created a saved TerrainComposer prefab with 5x5 terrain tiles set to heightmap res1025 loaded from WM, and saved that as a TC object.

I've then created a new TerrainComposer object with 15x15 terrain tiles set to 33 resolution, with the terrain parent terrainsfar and saved that.

The problem is I need to switch between the 2, in 1 scene but when I load the other one, all layers are loaded correctly, but the terrainParent and the terrain objects themselves are still pointing to the previous gameobjects, with the previous resolutions etc.

Is it possible to get these added to the "Save"? Because at the moment, I need to delete all the terrain objects and set up the tiles/resolutions etc each time I switch between the 2, otherwise I'd need to manually drag the terrain objects from the hierarchy into the correct terrain in TC.

Or is there someway I can drag multiple terrain objects from the hierarchy into terraincomposer?

Many Thanks

Steve

16. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

I know I should know this but cant rember I need to set my first out of 4 splat maps to a height in y axis whats best way to do that. Like for example I want every think under 500y to be sand.

17. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    to do not create only posts about bugs proposed features or something that needs Your work. :)

I got an idea to post video from my project. It's a conversion of real orieenteering map. All objects except powerlines are placed by TC. Big THANKS!

18. Tovrin

Tovrin

Gorgeous!! How do you get the grass so "lush"? Mine seems so patchy.

19. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I am very new to all this and I don't have a good understanding what a colormap and a splatmap are. For example, I don't know the difference or what they are used for.

I'm not looking for somebody to reply with pages of text, but some pointers to articles or videos on the web would help me to come to grips with this.

I have already tried Wikipedia, but it didn't really help me understand how or why they are used.

Thanks.

20. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I am not looking for anybody to do the work for me, I am just looking for tips and suggestions on how to do this.

I have satellite images that have sparse tree coverage. I can see the individual trees in the images. The only technique I know how to use is a color range mask as demonstrated in the video. I can't get good results. I get trees almost everywhere using this technique.

What can I try to get better results when individual trees are showing in areas that have grass and bushes nearby?

Here is an example image.

21. camel82106

camel82106

It was possible to make even more dense grass. This is tweaked that it was visually still something like 95% but it doesn't needed so much grass.

I have 4x4 terrains. With size of individual terrain 800m. And I have grass resolution set to 2048, grass per patch 32, grass density 16. (strength of layer is set to 0.25 and some perlin is applied to placement)
    And I'm using grass9 from TC examples textures as main generic grass. It was looking "lush" :)

Of course it's performance killer, although trees are bigger..
    Nice day
    Peter

22. Tovrin

Tovrin

Cool! Thanks for the tip. I was wondering how Nathaniel managed to get that lush mountainside in his demo.

Out of curiosity, what's the exact setting you use to determine the size of your terrain? I've been exporting my tiles as 2km tiles in World Machine and have been assuming they end up the same size in Unity. I'm not sure if that's a safe assumption.

EDIT: I found the setting last night. It appears my tiles were only half the size I thought they were. With some resizing and careful positioning, I have my island the size it should be ....

... and the SHEER SCALE of it is making me rethink the rest of my project; not in terms of landmass, but verticality. Some of my mountain ranges are going to be insanely tall.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  23. Dok101

Dok101

Hi
    I have been using Terrain Composer for a while now and everything been OK, but today, the TC option didn't appear in the Unity Menu -> Window. I was able to fix if by reverting the window settings back to factory settings. However when I then tried to Generate a Terrain it stays stuck at 0% and does nothing.

I've already checked that my asset serialisation is set to Mixed.

Anyone know a solution?

Thanks

24. Lykai120

Lykai120

Hello i just bought it but i am not sure if it is the right tool for my needs lol is there a way to just edit all tiles at the same time ? like the standart raise and lower tools ?

25. Tovrin

Tovrin

Thanks to those who suggested getting to know RTP. It's taken a day of experimenting, pouring through the manual and recompiling textures, but I think I have a handle on it. IT really makes a huge difference.

Now for an odd problem. When I generate grass I notice entire strips of area not being rendered. I don't remember coding a man with a tractor mowing the grass .... so has anyone else come across this. The lines are too regular to be a procedural thing.

EDIT: The procedure for generating grass is grass type based on slope with a height and slope mask ... none of which should have affected the grass shown here. This is only an example. The strips are all over the place.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  26. eagle555

eagle555

You can still keep your mesh and convert it to a Unity terrain with TerrainComposer's raycasting in a heightmap layer. Then you can create a splatmap and export it and use it on your mesh.

You might have the same issue as Dennis218, I explain this at the first post on this page.

I have advanced tutorials here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/tutorials
    For fine tuned placement I recommend this tutorial:

You can enable terrain loading from TC project. TC Menu -> Options -> Generate Settings -> enable 'Load Terrain Data'.

Another way is to do with terrain search, if you right click the main Terrain label in the TC window and click on the popup 'Search in Hierarchy'. You can drag and drop a terrain parent GameObject in the 'Search Parent' and shift click the <Search> button.

This is actually the default splat layer setting where filter input is on 'Height' you only need to change the min-max sliders of your splat textures in the layer to change the height for each splat texture you put in the layer.

Splatmapping is a special shader technique to create a higher terrain texture resolution, if you would stretch an entire image over the terrain (that is what a colormap is) it would look very blockery. A splatmap shader uses one splatmap (image) to blend 4 splat textures together. Each color channel (red, green, blue and alpha) is used for 1 splat texture. E.g. the red channel is used for a grass texture. If the red value (0-255) is 0 the grass texture will not be painted and 128 would be half transparent and 255 would be fully painted. To get a higher looking resolution the splat textures are repeated an x amount of times over the terrain. While higher in texture resolution this will result in tiling artifact which you can often see on terrains. A good blending between splat textures makes it look better, but there's a limit. There are numerous techniques to hide tiling. RTP is the terrain shader that has those techniques build in. A colormap (not build in the standard Unity terrain shader) can be used on top of splatmap technique. The resulting color can be colormap x splatmap or (colormap + splatmap) / 2. Best result with RTP is to use a multiplicative colormap.

This is a result I created in 2 minutes using your image. You can use my settings and pick the two colors from my image. I have tree resolution set to 768 (TC terrain list -> Local Area tab).

Trees.jpg

Nathaniel

27. eagle555

eagle555

As for the grass resolutions we used I made a document for that:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/demos/

We used 8192 for each terrain to get it dence as it is. Since each terrain (we use 2x2) is 15km.

As for the terrain size per tile, you can set in TC terrain list -> 'Size' tab (x and z) and y is the terrain height, after changing need to shift click <Set All> button to apply.

Did you get an error in the Unity console? You can delete the <Generate> GameObject from the Hierarchy window for TC to stop generating (TC creates a clone and generates from that), this way you are able to change setting in TC without it being effected to the terrain while it generates.

Yes TerrainComposer does that out of the box, it's a multi tile terrain procedural generator. Also terrain settings can be edited for multiple terrain tiles which is not possible with Unity's terrain script.

Sometimes you get stripes if the grass density is too dense. What is needed then is to reduce the grass layer strength. In your image this doesn't look to be the case. It looks like some mask is being applied here. Can you send a screenshot of your grass layer with masks visible?

Nathaniel

28. eagle555

eagle555

Wow that looks awesome! I really like the placement and it looks very natural. Thanks a lot for sharing :D

Nathaniel

29. Matro

Matro

I am working on a custom height map and no matter what I do I am not getting the results I am looking for out of World Machine. So my question is this can I just use World Machine to make the needed tiles and then edit the terrain tiles in Terrain Composer and or Unity's terrain tools before adding RTP.

If so what is the best method and what do I need from World Machine to get the best results.

Thank you all for your advice in advance.

30. Tovrin

Tovrin

Actually you were right on BOTH counts. It was the strength on the height mask. As I kept dropping it by small amounts, I saw the strips get thinner. 0.8 was the sweet spot. Between that and getting RTP working for me, I'm one happy panda! Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

31. Tovrin

Tovrin

To answer the first question, yes. You can get into the native terrain editor and change sections using Unity's terrain tools. Each time you have the landscape the way you think you want it, get TC to "reskin everything"; if you have RTP set up just right it'll do it's stuff automatically.

As for your second question, I have to admit WM is not perfect, but it's still the best thing I've seen for what it does. The vast majority work that gets comes out of it is great, but there are quite a few of exceptions ..... some of which are actually nice surprises, but others are "WTF?!". The latter you need to get in an dirty in Unity to fix.

But WM won't do everything out of the box. I spent quite a while experimenting with the tool, watching tutorials and doing LOTS of reading to figure out some of the intricacies of how to make good terrain in WM. But you need still need to do a lot of work in WM to get things looking mostly right.

While I say what works for other people using WM, below is what I found (after a lot of trial and error) has worked for my project:

Bear in mind that the sample images are only for a 16 square km island I'm using to prototype within Unity. The area I'm modelling is 1000 square km. The Layout Generator has heaps of work manually placing mountain ranges, valleys, rivers and so on.

32. eagle555

eagle555

As Tovrin replies you can use Unity's terrain tools to modify things manually. I made TC able to import everything from WM, so yes and you can add any amount of layers for blending/masking/etc. E.g. you can mix multiple heightmaps of WM together based on a mask, or mix multiple splatmaps together based on a mask, etc. The power of WM is it's erosion, its the industry standard program being used for creating realistic heightmaps. For example the in the Benchmark valley in Unigine and Kite demo in Unreal they used WorldMachine. Here is an article from Unigine how they made the terrain in WM:
    http://unigine.com/articles/131016-procedural-content-generation2/

Nathaniel

33. Matro

Matro

Tovrin,
    Very nice and thank you for the reply. I just wish I can find a way to get the results that I need.

34. Matro

Matro

So I am going to try and get data from World Composer so the Island has a zoom limit of 11 and I for the life of me can't get the area size to edit below 310.08()km, 310.08(km).

Is there a reason I can not get closer than 310km?

35. Lykai120

Lykai120

Thanks but i mean a normal way to edit it not generated how do i do that ? no heightmaps just the raise/lower etc. tools

36. Porto881

Porto881

I bought TC and RTP3 yesterday and after watching the tutorials I feel incredibly lost. Will there be any new tutorials that explain things step by step or is the 2 year old tutorials what I have to work with?

Another thing that struck me after sitting down trying to make stuff work is that there are no guide or tutorial whatsoever on how to make these two work together?!

Im sure the two assets are great tools but what good is that if you have no idea on how to use them?

37. Epictickle

Epictickle

I agree with @Porto881 I am completely lost as to how to get these two to integrate. I tried shift-clicking <RTP> in my splat textures, but that just makes the textures look really shiny and stretched out. There has to be another step I'm missing here that isn't mentioned.

In essence, I would really like to see a video that depicts someone generating a random terrain exactly as you do in your example video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=26&v=rau5EBO84gU

After that, I would like to see the successful application of RTP on their freshly created terrain. I don't know if that is too much to ask, but I've been pulling my hair out for the past 2 days trying to figure out how these two pieces of software integrate. In the RTP documentation, literally all it says is "just hit the <RTP> button and the composers do all the work for you!". This is definitely not the case....

This is what I get BEFORE applying RTP to my terrains:

And this is what it looks like after applying RTP:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  38. Tovrin

Tovrin

That's what happened to me. After assigning the normals and heightmaps and then generating the splat textures on the terrain, I was kind of lost. Then I zoomed right in on a location and saw the textures actually working. From there is was a lot of reading the manual, clicking on the terrain tile itself and trying individual settings one at a time, LOTS OF recompiling in LOD_Manager when told to do so, and a bucket load of trial and error. It probably took me about four or five hours of solid experimentation, but I began to see some good results after an hour or so. You have to play with the settings, especially the distance view ones. And when you get weird results that stuff everything up, back out and try again. It doesn't just work right out of the box for big terrains.

Dreamaster said it best when he said ....
    It frustrating at first, but the results are well worth it

39. Epictickle

Epictickle

Hmm, i see what You mean now about zooming in. Thank You. I was getting frustrated lol. What would i need to play with to get my textures and stuff to show up from far distances? I am completely lost lol. Im going to read the manual when i get home today and see what all of those pretty sliders actually do. As of yesterday, changing the sliders really didnt do anything from what i could see.

40. Tovrin

Tovrin

I didn't play with that many sliders (except one or two which I pushed all the way out to maximum). For me it was mostly checking checkboxes. From memory (sorry about to go to work so I can't check) they did mention distance or something like that in the title. Have a look at the manual and there is a good explanation of what each of the settings does in there. I have to admit that I had difficulty fighting the urge to leap right in and start playing with things, but that didn't get me all that far. WOT?! Reading manuals?! It seems so alien! ;)

41. Porto881

Porto881

I´m having trouble understanding this... I want to make a terrain that is surrounded by mountains, in the middle the terrain should be pretty flat, in one end of the terrain there should be a lake and on a couple of places there should be higher "hills"... I have been trying to accomplish this with layers and 3 different masks that i did in Photoshop. It is all a mess though... The mountains and the terrain in the middle is ok but adding the lake didn´t work, there is no smooth transition like a beach and making the hills didn´t work either because they are steep as s*it...

If i had spent this time handpainting this in Unity I would be finished by now, I bought this tool to save time but so far the only thing it gave me is headache :(

I´m aware that the tool is amazing once you learn it but the documentation and the out-of-date tutorials isn´t nearly enough to get you started imo...

42. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I think I can do something like this, but I don't know how exactly. If it can be done I will see if I can get it to work.

I am building my tree layer based on color ranges of the satellite images. However, trees are being made in some places that I don't want them to.

Am I correct in believing that I can open the satellite images in Gimp and create a mask by drawing with red over the areas I don't want trees and then use that as a filter in Terrain Composer somehow. I'm thinking this will work but don't want to waste my time if I am completely off the mark.

Any input for me?
    Thanks

43. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

Thank you for your help. How did you come up with those color? My guess is experience. So, if I asked you how I could have done that myself, your only answer would be, "practice". I can accept that.

And with that in mind, I think it would be great for you to make short videos (probably need only be 3-5 minutes) where you provide practical tips for accomplishing various things. Some things you have come up with that will be of value to those of us not as experienced with the tool.

Thanks

44. codeman_nz

codeman_nz

If I create a planetary surface heightmap using libnoise, would I be able to use that heightmap to generate terrain at runtime?

45. VladislavZaharov

VladislavZaharov

у меня такая проблема не генерируются текстуры unity выдает такую ошибку
    Error in generate loop, please contact Nathaniel_Doldersum@hotmail.com and send a screenshot of the Unity Console
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    TerrainComposer:Update() (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:4215)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

46. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

Hi, I'm currently trying to import world machine raw maps into terrain composer and I'm have a lot of issues.

When I export the height map as an 8bit raw file, then import that into the "raw heightmap" input field of a filter, it shows a 1024x1024 resolution as 724x724, additionally when I go to generate it nothing happens. Can someone help me?

I'd also like to ask some questions about best world machine TO unity workflow, as it seems the Raw16 that world machine exports is not the same format of RAW file unity is expecting for 16bit raw files when it comes to height maps... Is the best method to actually export from World machine as a tiff, then go into Photoshop and reexport them as raws?

Edit: After doing as I said, putting it into ps as a TIFF and exporting as a Raw 16bit It seems to be importing the height maps correctly and at the right resolution, so I'm guessing that terrain composer only supports 16bit height maps...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  47. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

hmm Cool.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  48. Tovrin

Tovrin

I’d like to make a feature request ….

Firstly I have to say that Terrain Composer is a great asset. It part of the backbone of the framework for terrain generation for my project (World Machine and RTP3 being the other parts). Simply said, I could do without it

However .... one difficulties I have is handling different biomes in a single (REALLY LARGE) scene. I know you can set biomes up as “layer groups”, but there doesn't appear to be a simple process to assign that "layer group" to a set of tiles … not that I have been able to see anyway.

Would it be possible to implement a grid-based view (similar to the other grids you have), perhaps as function of the <Set All> button in the Terrain section, that could allow you to easily assign a layer group/biome to a tile or group of tiles on the map?

CastleIsGreat likes this.
  49. Deleted User

Deleted User

I could really use some help..
    I created a 4 texture endless desert track..I am starting to feel more comfortable with this, but....
    I can not seem to create a color map.I need them for the new terrain shaders (Thanks by the way!)

My Interface is different from the videos, I just keep getting black, because those are the default color map settings.

I can export Height, Splat, Normals...but not Color..
    I am truly baffled..I have tried for two days..this is my last resort..help?

I think the New Shaders, ie, the 4 Splat Terrain Shader on mesh, has no shadow/fog problems.? Pixelization...splat needs to set to True Color. ?.

I can only assume that we can now export full size terrains now, thanks for adding that!!,
    Question- in that Section, the check box - "Switch UVs"...What does that mean?? Do you mean Rotate?
    So They are Identical to the Originating Terrain??

Thanks for the continued updates!!

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  50. eagle555

eagle555

Can you send a screenshot of your WC window with Image Export tab enabled? I can take a look. The minimum area size can be controlled with the image zoom level and image resolution. You can put image resolution to 512 to get the maximum, and a 1 higher zoom level gives 2x smaller area's.

TerrainComposer is a procedural Unity terrain generator. You can use the Unity terrain brushes to make manual changes. Best to do this after generating with TC.

I have a tutorial video how to use TC and RTP. Although it does not make a difference if you have TC in your project or not as for using RTP. TerrainComposer uses standard Unity terrain, and RTP renders on standard Unity terrain. So for using RTP you need to watch the RTP video tutorials and read the manual. The links are on RTP's Asset Store page:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5664

Here are my tutorial videos:
    Help Video Importing from WorldMachine/Using RTP with TerrainComposer

One thing you have to do in Unity5 to enable RTP shaders on the terrain, is to click on each terrain and in terrain settings put 'Material' to custom. I will ask Tom if he can make this change automatically as soon after the RTP terrain script is added to a terrain. That is actually what the <RTP> button does in TC. Instead of having to drag the RTP terrain script manually to all terrains, TC adds the RTP script to each terrain.

Can you show some screenshot of your setup in the TerrainComposer window? It's hard to tell what you might be doing wrong if I can't see what exactly you are doing.
    As for using filters and masks I recommend to watch this tutorial:
    TerrainComposer tutorial about filters, masks and curves (New)
    In runtime you can import a 16 bit raw heightmap, so if you export this libnoise heightmap to that, it's possible.

This is how I did it, you can use TC image filter tool for this:
    Help Video for placement based on image colors (New)

You probable need to shift click <Set All> in the 'Splat Texture', 'Trees', and 'Grass' tab of the TC terrain list. Can you show a screenshot of your TC setup?

Yes TerrainComposer only support 16 bit raw. As 8 bit raw gives a very blocky result. If you want to use 8 bit, you can use any kind image format for it that Unity supports and in TC use Input -> 'Image'.

Yes you need to add some colors and change to them to some colors you want. The color you have in your screenshot is black. You can use some presets if you right click the Color range label and choose open:
    Colormap.jpg

This will be something for TerrainComposer2. At the moment I'm still working on it, it will be my major release. I converted everything to C# and working on a linear node based graphical window with very neat mouse control. That's why I don't update the doc and video's as I would have to start all over again as soon as I release TC2.
    TerrainComposer2 will have many new features, e.g. like importing raw heightmaps with streaming (the raw file can be of unlimited size).

The new system is even more powerful. The new interface is more intuitive, great overview and easy to use. More about it later...

Nathaniel

hopeful likes this.