Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. RangePlusOne

RangePlusOne

Hey Karaokefreak I did look for that option, but it was already checked, thanks for the attempted help though... still hoping to find a solution :\

2. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Are you sure your prefab trees (and the procedural master tree) have a collider activated?

3. RangePlusOne

RangePlusOne

They have mesh colliders on them along with the capsule colliders just to be double certain.

4. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Whoa.... I'd get rid of the mesh colliders. too much effort for trees, sucks performance.

5. RangePlusOne

RangePlusOne

For sure, but I'm just trying to find any possible solution...

6. twobob

twobob

Some types of movement DO NOT respect colliders.

How are you making your character move?
    CharacterController.Move() /does/ respect collision boundaries. (no, I am not for a second suggesting you need this, just pointing out a difference)

transform.Move() doesn't (IIRC)

there are other types too..

upload_2015-4-20_10-22-32.png

upload_2015-4-20_10-23-16.png

As shown above I can grab my character in run-time and try to "Drag it through" the rock, but it will be resisted, however if I told it in code to transform.move through the rock .1 at a time it would do it.

Could it be that?

7. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Nice video. My scene view and game view share the same window. Just in case I closed the scene view and there is no difference. The frame rate drops every 3-5 seconds when detail plants are being rendered. So the gameplay is skipping horribly. There is no reason. I understand a frame rate drop but not by this much and also the skipping. I am guessing it must be a problem with the terrain.

Saw a thread on this problem and they said to uncheck collect detail patches to get rid of the cpu spike but it will increase the memory of the scene. Did this and my entire computer crashed not just Unity. Fun fun fun.

8. amasinton

amasinton

Cheers!! Worked great!

Awesome asset, by the way. A good deal of fun. I like it better and better the more I work with it.

-- Anthony

9. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Bah, that's no good. Now that you mention it, I do remember trying a test where I was moving quickly through the scene and in those cases there were big hiccups in the framerate. I figured it was because Unity it was loading in the next batch of details but am not really sure. In my video the camera isn't moving, so maybe that's a difference.

Crashing: How much RAM do you have? I've got 32GB so maybe that's why it never crashes on mine? If that's the case, I better give the minimum specs some consideration or it might end up crashing on everyone's PC but mine.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  10. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

That is the problem. Loading the detail causes major spikes that destroys the gameplay. Will have to wait until the new terrain system to use detail plants. Maybe in Unity 6. Sorry for the whining. Just annoyed.

Maybe you should send me your computer and I can check it out;). I have 4GB DDR2.

Todd-Wasson likes this.
  11. nomax5

nomax5

Any Idea what this is?

It moves when I move the camera based on distance in either the game view or the editor
    Make it go away its bugging me and I've tried alsorts to get rid of it.

If I go Edit - Project Settings - Player and change the color space* to Linear its less obvious but still there

is it because the terrain is 4,000 square?

When I drop a 1st person controller in there and run around I can see popping in the distance and these squares filling in.

Roy

12. Recon03

Recon03

Anyone else having really bad lag issues with Unity 5 with TC and WC, I did a fresh install of just TC and WC, I get 10-15 mins lock ups.. I cant make anything but 4 tiles and super small terrains. I have no grass no trees, just terrains. I have everything to the lowest resolution even.. So I have 3 other machines, all built .. all high end. and all are locking up..

I have no other assets, I been having trouble for weeks with TC and WC, starting to weight on me, as i,m missing dead lines due to all of this trouble..

I need the terrain to be a mid size terrain about 400 Km. I try to make 100-200 and it locks up... so I have no idea what to, but ditch TC and WC and go back to World Machine if I cant get this fixed by today..

I used this with Unity 4 and neve had these kind of problems with TC. I never used WC before. But I used TC alot. there was time I would get some lag here and there but never like this.. About to try with out WC... see if thats causing issues ..

13. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

This probably won't help you much to know, but I've been using both TC and WC together with Unity 5 all along and never had these kinds of problems. I haven't tried making a new mesh with the latest beta, but have at least regenerated grass and so forth with it and things seemed to work fine. First thing I'd look at in your case might be a memory limitation (I have 32GB RAM). I don't really know though.

14. NoahGarliot

NoahGarliot

Hello, this isn't directly a terrain composer issue, but I thought this would be one of the best place to put it due to the awesome support here :)! I'm trying to add water to my large terrain scene (700000+ trees and 2048 grass density over 4 terrains) but whenever the water attempts to load reflection objects or refraction objects it stops the game. It will pause for a good 9 seconds. Once they have loaded, everything stays pretty constant at 60 FPS, but the minute I look away from the water and look back it does the whole 9 second loading thing. Here's a video to illustrate this:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  15. eagle555

eagle555

Hello guys,

At the moment I'm working on a new TC version with fixes for this implemented.

Nathaniel

MS80 and Todd-Wasson like this.
  16. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Try importing the package. Delete global_settings.prefab from TerrainComposer/Templates folder after importing. This is because Unity5 has issues with importing prefabs from older Unity versions. I will upload TerrainComposer 1.8 from Unity5 to the Asset Store tomorrow (might take some time before accepted).

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

boysenberry likes this.
  17. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Mark,

Yes here it is:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/fix-for-shimmering-trees-in-deferred-mode.311961/#post-2026809

I will implement this for TerrainComposer 1.8 which I will upload tomorrow to the Asset Store.

Nathaniel

18. eagle555

eagle555

Indeed seems to be a bug.

If you double click the error in the console, it will go to monodevelop (line 11446) and change this:
    AssetDatabase.CreateAsset(mesh1,settings.mesh_path.Replace(Application.dataPath+"/","Assets/")+"/"+terrains[count_terrain].name+".asset");
    to
    AssetDatabase.CreateAsset(mesh1,settings.mesh_path.Replace(Application.dataPath,"Assets/")+terrains[count_terrain].name+".asset");

This is fixed in TerrainComposer 1.8 (will upload tomorrow to Asset Store and server).

Nathaniel

twobob likes this.
  19. eagle555

eagle555

This should still work as before. In Unity5 it is a little better. If you get crashes you might use too high resolutions. Can give more detail about the resolutions and amount of terrain tiles you use?

Nathaniel

20. eagle555

eagle555

Yes that might probably be because of the 700k+ trees that Unity tries to reflect. Maybe it's possible to exclude them.

Nathaniel

21. NoahGarliot

NoahGarliot

Yes, it's strange that it tries to reflect everything on the terrain instead of everything in a certain radius.

22. eagle555

eagle555

This has to do with basemap distance. Increase the basemap distance to far behond your terrain size. Can increase it in TC terrain list -> Settings. And higher the settings in TC Menu -> Option -> Terrain Max Settings.

Nathaniel

23. eagle555

eagle555

It's probable Enlighten lightmap baking (since Unity5) in the background that makes it slow. In Unity5 this is continuously done in the background. You can disable this in Unity Menu -> Windows -> Lighting -> Continuous Baking (disable). Let me know if that helps...

Nathaniel

MarcusWatson likes this.
  24. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

1x 2000*2000 terrain. Have not edited the detail resolution so it is at 1024. Detail resolution per patch is 8.

It is not Terrain Composers fault. Just with the terrain system. Only reason I mentioned was I finally used the TC detail placement and was impressed. Just could not get Unity to run decently.

25. Recon03

Recon03

The lag is gone, but now I have this blue like fog showing above my terrain, only happens from certain area in WC .. but seeing it happen more often is there a fix for this?

Edit,some reason it changed my fog setting when Import from WC, sometimes sounds like a bug?? I turned fog off and its fine, but thats an issue .

Attached Files:

• fog.png
      fog.png
      File size:
      124.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  26. eagle555

eagle555

WC or TC don't touch the fog in the code, maybe another Asset is doing this, I never heard anybody have this issue with WC. Unless you click on the 'Create Lighting' button in the example window. You can change the fog/lighting also in TC windows -> Quick Tools -> Lights Setup.

You can check the Map_tc script and TerrainComposer script for 'RenderSettings.fog', and you will see that WC doesn't have it, and only in TC like I explained.

Nathaniel

27. eagle555

eagle555

Yes TerrainComposer generates standard Unity terrain. On the 24 hour demo we used 4k detail resolution per tile (we used 2x2 tiles, so total 8k). So 1k should run good, you can try detail resolution per patch on 16. Maybe it has to do with your grass distance. If this is set too high it will lag. Default is 250 meters. Can see the grass settings in TC terrain list -> Settings (there's settings for both Editor and Runtime).

Nathaniel

28. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

It is a custom terrain not from TerrainComposer. Just using TerrainComposer for placement. Detail distance is 30m. This is why I really think there is something wrong with the terrain system and how it is handling details. There is no reason for such a performance problem. Hopefully they will address these terrain problems in 5.1.

29. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    I'm little lost what is best process for doing this:
    I want to create forest splats (two textures mixed based on perlin noise). So I want to have forest texture with some moss mixed.

So I have created new forest splat layer. Added two splat textures. (forest and moss). Added perlin noise curve to filter. And tweaked splats amount to get bigger places of forest than moss.

But with this setup I have a problem that transitions of moss/forest are very sharp. I thing that it's because filter splat setting is boolean/sharp operation. You simply select one or another texture not it's strength. So result is logicall to me. If I'm not forgetting about something...

One solution will be to blur result. (I was trying to add mask with smooth on the end but I haven't seen some result)

Or create two layers. One layer for forest with perlin noise empty areas. (but now perlin noise will be in density mask to get better blending). And than second moss layer that will be inverted forest layer.

Is there an easier solution for this?

Thanks
    Peter

30. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Peter,

Did you set filter input to 'Always'?

This is very easy to do. You should have control over the blending between them with the 'Mix Rate' curve, 0 is no blending, 1 is full blending. You can't use a mask for this.

Nathaniel

No_Blend.jpg

Full_Blend.jpg

31. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    I was playing with mix rate. But it "wasn't" working for me very nicely, because I have used perlin noise with zoom 2.
    If I have tried with zoom 25 like You, blending was ok.
    That's because blending is based on perlin filter strength? And with zoom 2 there is not enough pixels on splatmap transition to make it blend on bigger distance?

Not sure from what blending is taking input data.

Here is a result with zoom 2:
    image is divided in center to upper and lower image.

Ok it's based on strength, tested by changing perlin noise strength.
    Thanks
    Peter

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  32. eagle555

eagle555

Ah yes indeed with low zoom on 2 it doesn't blend that much. It's just a matter of a higher mix rate value, which the slider doesn't allow, I made it go to 10 now. Let me know if that works for you.

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

33. Recon03

Recon03

this happens with only TC and WC ... nothing else installed.. I can show you on Skype if you wish

I did a few fresh installs with only WC and TC still happens....

Remember I was the first to find that other issues awhile back, :) thats just my luck lol. with WC..

34. camel82106

camel82106

Wow thanks. It's working perfectly.

Of course it's artistic license what it good value but yeah it's working now very nicely (mix rate 10 perlin zoom2):

35. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Yes I would like to see, that WC would turn on the fog. My skype account is Nathaniel.Doldersum

Nathaniel

36. Alex3333

Alex3333

Hello , I just bought 2 asset TC .RTP. I had a 170 error after installation. Version 5. Previously wrote how you can eliminate , but I did not get with the removal of import and prefabs = ((( Need help!

PC. All ok. reimport ))

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  37. MS80

MS80

Hi Nathaniel, I have a few questions regarding to object placement:

- is it possible to set the "Combine max" number? right now it seems to do it automatically to stay under the 65.000 vertex limit. I would like to set this number (limited to 65k, too) to use this for clustering the objects?
    - TC places the objects in a sequential order, is there a way to modify this order so the objects get placed to square blocks? This would be perfect to cluster detail objects and culling these.
    - is it possible to attach another script to the automatic generated parent objects? TC attaches "combine children" script to the parent object, which works great. But I would like to auto-attach "Combine Children AFS" from AFS4.0 asset because it has some nice features like color variation.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  38. megariffer

megariffer

Hello Nathaniel,

do you have any ideas when the next version with google maps will be released? bing's heightmap is not precise enough as far as i could tell...

thanks!

39. MatthewHarmon

MatthewHarmon

Fantastic product. I worked on flight sims way back when and seeing TC and WC really takes me back. Wonderful job!

Apologizes if this is covered in the forum elsewhere, but I would like move TC and WC into a subfolder under my asset folder. However, when I do this, I get some unexpected results (such as the TC panel not showing up.)

Any hints here? I thought Unity was supposed to not care where things were as long as their metadata files are correctly associated - but I know TC is a little more sophisticated that the average pack, I'm a little new to this.

Thanks much, and congrats on such a great job.

40. loko08

loko08

Hello There Guys,

I have a questions, regarding project folder structure, I tried moving TerrainComposer folder into a different folder (ThirdPartyExtensions). But after I did it, it crashed violently, is there any way to do this??

Or is it mandatory for it to be on the project's root??

Take Care,
    JP

41. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

1). If you create a parent for each object in a layer, unfold an object -> Settings -> Click 'Create' button next to 'Parent'. Then TC will automatically put the maximum amount of object to stay below the combine vertex limit, can see the info about the mesh and maximum number in the 'Data' foldout. The old combine script that used to be included with Unity doesn't always work correctly. Even if vertices are within combine limit, the script still gives the error.
    2). This I will make in the next TerrainComposer version.
    3). Yes this is possible, you can just replace the script on the 'Combine Children' prefab.

Nathaniel

42. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

I'm planning to embed Google maps and USGS Elevation and Topo maps into WorldComposer. Google elevation I will also try to get it, although it has limitation of the amount of transactions you can do in a day, which makes it only possible to do a small heightmap.

Nathaniel

43. eagle555

eagle555

With the current TerrainComposer and WorldComposer version this is not possible, because the Assets/TerrainComposer folder is hard coded. I found a way to get a folder from a script from within the script itself. I used this in SnazzyGrid 2 and SnazzyPaint (which install folder can be changed since the latest versions). I will change this in the next TC/WC update also, so they can be moved.

Nathaniel

44. hopeful

hopeful

Any rough ETA on this? Is it just on the roadmap, or is it currently being worked on?

45. loko08

loko08

Thank you very much Nathaniel :)

Awesome support as usual

46. MS80

MS80

Thanks for your detailed answer. :)

1.) I know about that. I meant to set the max. number of objects to a lower number(f.e. 100 detail objects per parent instead of 380 possible), gives a bit more control how to cluster detail objects (especially with 2.)
    2.) Great, looking forward for next version
    3.) Almost too easy, thanks.

47. eagle555

eagle555

I'm currently working on this. It will take some time though as it will be a major TerrainComposer and WorldComposer update.

Nathaniel

hopeful likes this.
  48. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    not sure if it's too late for me. But this is scratching my head.

I'm generating simple splat. I have simple raw heightmap texture with while area. (And I want to have specified splat where is white area on raw heigthmap texture).

So I created filter input always ouput add strrength 1 and I have only one splat for this layer.
    So without mask specified, result is that splat is everywhere. In manual it's specified, that without mask default value of mask will be 1. So ok that is as it may be.

Now if I create mask, with my raw heightmap used. Mode strength, input raw heightmap, output Add.
    Now starting value of mask is 0? Add will add 1 for white area of texture. So splat will be where are white areas of raw heightmap. This is ok too.

But if I change Output to Subtract. Resulting splat is same? So 0 - 1 areas are evaluated as 1?
    I would await that this will result in no splat generated.

Edit:
    If I try same thing with color or tree output instead of splats. It works like expected. So add mask generates output on white areas. And subtracting mask generates nothing.

On splats both generates splats on white places.

Thanks
    Peter

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  49. ksam2

ksam2

Hi there. I can't download example package because of my internet speed. Can you please send me the direct link of example package? Thanks

50. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

It's the first question on the troubleshoot page:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/troubleshooting/

I added the direct download link inside the comming TerrainComposer update.

Nathaniel