Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. eagle555

eagle555

Yes TerrainComposer is compatible with SpeedTrees, and TC is updated to the latest Unity terrain tree features.
    In Unity5 SpeedTrees as Unity terrain trees can be randomly rotated on the y-axis (not possible with Unity trees), and this feature is implemented in TC.

Wow your screenshots look amazing! :D

This is a grass rendering issue, and yes because of AFS. AFS has to be setup correctly, if you just have it in your project this can happen, not sure if you did, but else you can ask Lars about it on his forum:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/advanced-foliage-shader-released.133398/

Nathaniel

2. eagle555

eagle555

Maybe the position (x,z) of the terrains have been accidentally changed by moving the handles in the Scene. You can go to TC window -> TC terrain list -> Size -> Shift click <Fit All>. This corrects all xz positions. If it still occurs you can use the stitch tool in quick tools, put border influence slider all the way to the left (lowest value).

Nathaniel

3. eagle555

eagle555

The maximum heightmap resolution for each terrain tile is 4097 x 4097. So you would need at least 4 x 2 terrain tiles for this. Such high heightmap resolution can only be done in Unity5, then you need to see if you get enough performance out of it.

Nathaniel

4. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

No the 'Multi Terrain' stretch mode feature is for stretching a heightmap over multiple tiles, without the need for spitting it up. This is possible as I specially created it for that, and I even do interpolation in the code reading from the raw heightmap that gives a better result when using Scale sliders.

I tested it here and it works fine, you can only get steps if your raw heightmap has a bigger resolution then your tiles. So 1k heightmap on 2x2 tiles with each 513 heightmap should work correctly. Maybe you put the tiles heightmap resolution on 1023 instead?

Nathaniel

5. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

AFS needs the tree colors to be completely white. You can change this in a tree then shift click >Set All to apply to all trees in your tree layer. Let me know if that works...

Nathaniel

AFS Trees.jpg

hopeful likes this.
  6. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

http://www.terraincomposer.com/troubleshooting/, first question ;). I will add this link directly in TC for the next update.

Nathaniel

7. eagle555

eagle555

It's an issue with Skyshop with Unity terrains, as TerrainComposer does nothing on the Unity terrains rendering. Seems that Skyshop uses a grass replacement shader:
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/652617/texture-grass-is-totally-black.html

Nathaniel

8. MS80

MS80

I followed your instructions but unfortunatly it does not fix it, the billboards are still black!

EDIT: I recognized this happens to ALL trees in the scene, afs or normal tree! If the AFS asset is removed from the project and trees got recreated with terraincomposer everything works again, billboards are colored correctly! After importing AFS issue comes back ?!?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  9. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    just for of information. With latest patch 5.0.1p1. I was getting error related to this line of release notes:
    Scripting: GizmoType enum has changed (and is updated by automatic script updater). NotSelected -> NotInSelectionHierarchy. SelectedOrChild -> InSelectionHierarchy. New member NonSelected added.

For me automatic script updater hasn't fix it automatic.
    Of course it was simply fixable. Just replaced this line in TerrainComposer.js:
    @DrawGizmo(GizmoType.NotSelected | GizmoType.Active)
    for this
    @DrawGizmo(GizmoType.NotInSelectionHierarchy | GizmoType.Active)

And this is applied too:
    Terrain: TerrainData.alphamapTextures is now public.

Beware that it's only patch release.

Nice day
    Peter

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  10. eagle555

eagle555

Can you test if this update solves it?

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

Baldinoboy and MS80 like this.
  11. MS80

MS80

This fixed it! As always you satisfy with greatly support!

12. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Worked great for me too. Thank you.

13. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

HI This looks fantastic, and I noticed your special sale. But how does it work with Unity 5? I wanted to buy this, but hesitated when unity warned me that the scripts might not work. After all, it was made with unity 3.....

14. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

It has been updated quite a lot including very recently for Unity 5. Just check out the version notes in the Asset Store page. Works great in 5.

karaokefreak likes this.
  15. Freddy888

Freddy888

It's working fine here too in Unity 5.

16. amasinton

amasinton

Thanks for the reply on maximum terrain resolution, Nathaniel. I'll try it out once I come to grips with TC on a single tile.

Next question: Is there a maximum number of trees allowable? Like, 16,641? I have one tree, created with the Tree Creator. I have a terrain that is a single tile and is 14km x 14km using a 1024 heightmap. When I assign my one tree to my one terrain and generate the trees, no matter what I set the filter Input and Output to, I always get no more than 16641 trees. Spread across a terrain this large, it makes for a very sparse forest. I have the overall tree strength for the layer dialed all the way up to 1.

Am I hitting a limit here, or is there a way to get greater density?

Thanks again.

-- Anthony

17. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Yeah, I bought it. I even bought the world creator add on. However, I am a little disappointed since it doesn't seem to work for my purposes. Or I am just too stupid to set things up the right way.

18. gibmation

gibmation

Hi I just purchased and imported your TerrainComposer from the Asset Store.

I am getting this error:
    Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/global_classes.js(1620,29): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'Path': Path, System.IO.Path.

Any ideas what might be the cause and how to solve this?

I am using Unity pro version:
    Version 5.0.1f1 (5a2e8fe35a68) Fri, 27 Mar 2015 09:26:51 GMT Branch: 5.0/release

Thanks in advance.

19. twobob

twobob

Just wanted to say thanks for this tool.
    upload_2015-4-18_16-21-46.png

It would be very difficult to create such massive swatches of tessellated terrains without it.
    upload_2015-4-18_16-19-4.png

Is there a way to make the object tool place "Objects" onto my meshes? (rather than terrains)

as you can see in the 2nd shot above (floating rock) the heights very slightly change when I simplify the terrain to mesh so it would be nice to "re-place" (or "place for a 2nd time") the rocks and some mesh trees.

There appears to be but I am not sure how to use it.
    upload_2015-4-18_16-32-49.png
    Many thanks

I think I figured it out...
    Auto search.

cheers

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  20. MS80

MS80

Just wanted to note that TerrainComposer has an issue with Unity 5.1.0 beta 3:

Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js(17284,42): BCE0055: Internal compiler error: Value is less than UInt64.MinValue.

Tanoshimi2000, twobob and Dreamaster like this.
  21. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I love this extension but one problem I have is with the placement values. I hate curves. I find them completely useless. Have tried using them(mainly in shuriken) but have failed. I can not really get into this because of that.

I would like to be able to say do not place on a steepness of more than 45 degrees. An actual value. Not a curve guess. Also an actual height value like a minimal height placement of 15. Or atleast a percentage.

Do not believe this is currently in this extension but it would help so much. Have an option next to the curve for a value amount.

22. MS80

MS80

This is possible with curves! The measure tool is very useful in many situations, use it to find out the values you need for the curves. Steepness 45 degress = 0.5, so you could create a tree layer, add a mask with steepness, edit curve (steepness >0.5 output =0) and you get trees only placed under steepness 45 degrees. If you are not sure what a curve does, click on the little "H" next to that curve, it shows you the input/output axis. steepness.jpg

Once you get used to curves you will love them! I really like TerrainComposer for its handy interface.
    PS: if you would like to let the curve react like a value, place the input axis values next to each other (0.49 / 0.50)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  23. twobob

twobob

^this.

flat curve = value.

24. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Has there been a fix posted for the "frosted trees" issue? I've gone through every setting, image and adjustment I can think of, but close trees remain a brilliant shade of blue. I saw that this would be addressed in an update, wondering if I missed something. (Unity 5, BTW)
    upload_2015-4-18_21-23-23.png

Mark

25. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Are you using deferred rendering? Because Unity 5 still has the frosted tree problem with tree-creator-trees when using deferred rendering. Just switch to forward rendering for a moment for a proof of theory....

26. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Thanks Karaokefreak, that took care of the blue frosting. Took a bit of searching, but under Edit-> Project Settings -> Player -> Other Settings section, I found the Rendering Path option . Now I just need to figure out the white artifacts on the trees. LOL

Will forward rendering impact my FPS? Seems once U5 has a couple of meshes in a scene it drops from 200+ to 30 (where I am with what I consider an empty scene using 4 TC tiles and the lightest version of Skymaster.) and below very quickly...
    upload_2015-4-19_2-51-11.png

Mark

27. eagle555

eagle555

No there no maximum number of trees limitation. Performance is the limitation on this and in Unity 4.x also the memory. You can higher the tree resolution in TC terrain list -> Local Area -> Tree Resolution (shift click '> Set All' if you use more terrain tiles).

Nathaniel

28. eagle555

eagle555

Can you tell me what you want to create? I can help you with the workflow...

Nathaniel

29. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Well, I don't know where to start

First of all, let me say that I am impressed with the results that i have found that came from this asset. Even the example prefabs are great to look at. These terrains look awesome, and I guess as soon as you know what to do, this is a monster of an asset.

BUT, everything in terms of documentation and usability has major flaws in my humble opinion

1) The manual
    I read your instructions and found that they are very incomplete. Screenshots don't show what is actually happening on screen (totally different colors, different window-layouts, unreadable titles blurred up in way too contrasty blue and so on) and secondly, they never show the roots of their windows, so as a newbie, you never know how to get to the window you try to explain. A few red markings and arrows on tabs to press and such would make it a lot easier to understand what options you talk about. This asset has like a million buttons, and it is hard to find a way through.

2) No troubleshooting whatsoever.
    Take this very recent case of mine. When I read your post, I opened up my test project in order to tell you what I did so far and what i wanted to achieve, so that you can help me. But since I knew I didn't save my progress last time around, I knew I had to do it again, which wasn't possible since the world manager simply does not kick in any more.

Sooooo, I did what I always do in such cases - I read the manual.
    In your manual you start by saying
    "open the asset, get your bing key, press K and enter your bing key".

In my very first try, this worked out. But now I can press K as often as I want, there is no window popping up with bing options. Pressing on the world-icon changes nothing in the main terrain composer either. There is no map coming up and practically the world composer doesn't exist any more exept for the little world button. Already tried reimporting both assets - no difference. So either I am doing something completely wrong and/or the workflow description is missing a major point that shows me how to get going. There is not a slightest hint in your manual, what could have happened or what i could have done wrong.

Oh yeah, and I get a constant error in the console saying that the www content I try to access is not authorised.(error 401)

3) No values for a comparison
    The first time around, when I actually managed to get the bing map running with my key and such, i fiddled around with resolutions and sizes, but never got a terrain that had enough depth profile. So it were great if you gave us newbies some example scales to work with. Even the most obvious things could help... like saying "if you want to recreate the the rocky mountains in a quality that suits a first person perspective, then you might want to try resolutions X by Y by Z"

My personal case is the exact opposite. I want to recreate a real world terrain that only differs by about 100 meters in minimum / maximum height, and I hoped that I could even get a lot of details, like some platoes that just differ by 4 meters from the main level. But I never got that to work. Obviously 4 meters is not enough height difference for bing maps to read out, or I am simply not getting along with the values.

4) Bing Maps integration
    I don't know - maybe this was because of me being fed up already, but i never found options that altered the bing map. All the time I had street names and street registrations numbers in the texture. I know you can deactivate that stuff when looking up the satellite pics in a browser. But I found no such option in the world composer. Well, as I said before, I wasn't very patient any more at that moment.

Please don't take this too hard. But your description in the shop was like "Get amazing results in 5 minutes". Crazy that I spent 6 hours with this thing without getting good results. I think this can be a wonderful asset. But for now i fear even opening it, for it is super frustrating. From all the over 100 Assets I bought and used in the last 16 months, this one is the most user-unfriendly with the worst documentation.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  30. gibmation

gibmation

Hi
    How do I convert a 3d mesh into a terrain, I cant find any examples or instructions on how to achieve this?
    Thanks

31. twobob

twobob

Hi, Whenever I try to add anything to my meshes (via Create -> Object) I get:
    Code (csharp):
    1. NullReferenceException
    2. terraincomposer_save.loop_prelayer (System.String command, Int32 index, Boolean loop_inactive) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js:5171)
    3. terraincomposer_save.generate_begin_mesh () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js:2315)
    4. TerrainComposer.generate_startup () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:4348)
    5. TerrainComposer.Paint () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:4034)
    6. TerrainComposer.OnGUI () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:901)
    7. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    followed by 30 odd
    Code (csharp):
    1. InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    2. System.Collections.Stack.Peek () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/Stack.cs:321)
    3. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.EndLayoutGroup () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/GUILayoutUtility.gen.cs:223)
    4. UnityEditor.DockArea.EndOffsetArea () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:769)
    5. UnityEditor.DockArea.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:693)
    Any clues?

Much obliged

32. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Showstopper error with Unity Beta 5.1.0b3:

Code (csharp):
    2. Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js(17284,42): BCE0055: Internal compiler error: Value is less than UInt64.MinValue.
    Line of code is this:

Code (csharp):
    2. @DrawGizmo(GizmoType.NotSelected | GizmoType.Active)
    Is this a Unity problem or a TC problem? Should I tell Unity about it? My project will not run at all with this error, so it's very urgent for me.

33. MS80

MS80

have noted it here, too

34. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

If I delete that line everything works fine. Not sure what it does.

35. MS80

MS80

TerrainComposer and WorldComposer are extensive assets, it will take some time to get into it. I would confirm that it only takes few minutes to get good results. There are many detailed tutorials which helped me a lot:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/tutorials/
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/worldcomposer/

Don't forget that bing data has not the same quality for all places, the highest available data is zoom lvl 14 (rightclick on the map to see zoom lvl, f.e: europe: zoom lvl 11, usa: zoom lvl 14)

Under MapParameters you can set MapType to "Aerial" to deactivate labels.

36. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

37. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks MS80 for answering. Curves are much more powerful than linear min max sliders, as you can specify the fall off, use non linear lines, add more curve keys, etc.

Nathaniel

Baldinoboy likes this.
  38. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Yeah I played with it more. Getting the hang of it a little better. Noticed holding control(snapping) keeps it more stable when moving. That helps some. Thanks @MS80 for the info.

39. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Thanks MS80 for answering :).

If you look at WC's reviews on the Asset Store they are all 5 star. Did you watch the tutorial video's or only read the documentation?

1). On my website I have a few tutorial video's, I recommend to watch those after you get the map working:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/worldcomposer/

Yes I use different colors because I use Unity pro skin, and with those colors don't work in Unity free because the font color in Unity free can't be changed. That's why WC comes with a color setup that works both in Unity pro and Unity free. You can change the colors in the 'Settings' tab. Hmmm indeed the blue title with green color is not crisp, it happens when converting to a pdf from word, I converted it with Google now and the issue is solved:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/apbzq7f4jbm3ds6/WorldComposer.pdf?dl=0 (will include it in the next WC update).
    As for understanding the buttons I recommend to watch the tutorial videos.

2). Trouble shooting is at the end of the manual. Your issue probably is that you are in web player mode. It's described there how to solve it.

3). If you right click in the WC map it gives you the heightmap resolution. USA is 10 meter per pixel, this is the maximum resolution (I say this in the features).

4). Enable Map Parameters tab -> Map Type -> Aerial (as MS80 suggests. I think this speaks for itself).

If you just follow me with my tutorial video's it only takes as long as in the video (a little longer cause I cutted the exporting time of the heightmap/satellite images). So you should be able to get an area going in 15 minutes.

Nathaniel

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  40. twobob

twobob

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/GizmoType.NotSelected.html
    = Draw the gizmo if it is not selected and also no parent/ancestor object is selected.

Thus you can probably guess what the other flag does...
    (and may be disabling a much larger tranche of code via doing this than that one line)

41. twobob

twobob

Bump? Been banging my head over this for a while... Seems like this shouldn't happen?

terrains[0].terrain.terrainData.detailPrototypes.Length-1 hmm... I don't have any...

EDIT: So.. it seems like it is linked in some way to needing terrain data. So I rebuilt the terrains, which I will keep hanging around this time until I am certain I am done with object placement.

42. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Man this tool is cool. First time working with details in this extension. Placed all my detail plants over the islands at the right angles and heights. Amazing. Cannot wait to try with rocks.

Not this tools problem but my word. What is wrong with the Unity terrain. Somewhere in the 4.x cycle the terrain performance dropped but now I can barely render detail plants on the terrain without Unity crashing. Keep on having to restart Unity because there are a few plants on the terrain. What is going on? Unless the new terrain system and/or a fix for all these problems comes in 5.1 I am in trouble.

43. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

@Baldinoboy Is this in the editor by chance? If so, I found that if the scene view tab is open or visible then the performance drops to nothing with detail stuff in there. The trick is to keep the game/scene view on the same tab, but the game view selected so the scene view isn't rendered. I've gone from 8 fps to 300 that way. The compiled version ran fast though.

Here's a test I did:

If the scene view is visible then this barely even runs 5-10 fps. Why that's so, I have no idea, hopefully Unity will fix it but for now this is how I deal with it.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  44. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Sorry, Nathaniel, never wanted to insult you or anything. As I stated before, the results are amazing and I have a lot of respect for people who can write something like this.. But I am 100% positive that all those 5 -Star reviews relate to the results, certainly not to the work flow. I really mean this to be a constructive critique, not a S***storm.

That is something that you might think about: If the only way to understand your asset is watching a video (so reading the manual doesn't suffice), then either your manual or the system is broken. Seeing the rather confusing layout of your editor only makes it worse. This asset definetely needs an in depth walkthrough. Let me tell you this as somebody who deals with didactical schemes on a daily basis. There are other occasions when i worked myself through code that I don't understand - just because the manual was well written.

That said, I am still trying to get this to work, and your tiny trouble shooting section did not do the trick. I replaced the URL in the Edit section, even restarted Unity afterwards. I still get a very similar error in the console and nothing works.. BTW please note how a few red boxes for highlighting make it super easy to see what I changed and what I talk about, even in a HD screenie..
    Hope you can stll help me & thanks for the support.

BTW : The terrain that I wanted to recreate is in europe....
    Z-WCSettings1.jpg

45. boysenberry

boysenberry

H there I am new to using TC and am running into and issue with deleting, pretty much anything from throw to the different parts of layers. I am using Unity 5.0.1f1 and TC Final 1.72. Here is the error I get when I try to delete a newly created terrain:

MissingMethodException: CompilerGenerated.__TerrainComposer_main_menu$callable0$14951_28__.RecordObject
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.MethodDispatcherFactory.ProduceExtensionDispatcher ()
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.MethodDispatcherFactory.Create ()
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.DoCreateMethodDispatcher (System.Object target, System.Type targetType, System.String name, System.Object[] args)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.CreateMethodDispatcher (System.Object target, System.String name, System.Object[] args)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices+<Invoke>c__AnonStorey15.<>m__9 ()
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherCache.Get (Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherKey key, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.String cacheKeyName, System.Type[] cacheKeyTypes, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.Object[] args, System.String cacheKeyName, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.Invoke (System.Object target, System.String name, System.Object[] args)
    UnityScript.Lang.UnityRuntimeServices.Invoke (System.Object target, System.String name, System.Object[] args, System.Type scriptBaseType)
    TerrainComposer.Undo (System.String text) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:18684)
    TerrainComposer.draw_terrain (Int32 space) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:4649)
    TerrainComposer.Paint () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:2517)
    TerrainComposer.OnGUI () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:901)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Its really annoying to have to delete everything and start all over again and I assume I am either doing something wrong or running into some kind of bug. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS I tried to look up this issue before posting this and came up with only one hit above, but no resolution as far as I can tell. I can provide any info I needed to help resolve this for me.

PPS I think it might have something to do with using the examples. After I deleted the save prefabs and TC save folders and reimported the missing parts it works fine. At least without trying the examples it is so far.

Also, one more thing, how do you make a masking circle, without importing a raw heightmap? I saw it done in the islands examples, but like I said I don't want to use them again because of the errors.

Thank you,
    Boysenberry Payne

46. eagle555

eagle555

It's no problem, I like to get feedback. But I designed WC to have a convenient and easy workflow. The interface is very compact, because I didn't want to take too much space from the map.

But of course you need to get the map working first. It seems that your bing key isn't working. It might be that there's a space in the beginning or in the end. If you send me a screenshot to my email Nathaniel_Doldersum@hotmail.com from your WC window with the bing key showing (so with the 'K' button active). You have to make sure that the exact text is in the bing key textfield. WC displays the key in red next to it so you can see if there's any empty space in there.

As for the workflow WC is not hard to use, I get your point and will add this to the WC manual, and also more detail about each button:

To create a terrain from WC activate the following tabs:
    'Map Parameters','Regions','Heightmap Export','Image Export'.

1). (Optional) Make a new region by clicking the '+' button in 'Regions'. Can rename it by clicking 'E' button.
    2). Make a new area by clicking the '+' button in 'Areas'. Can rename it by clicking 'E' button.
    3). Scroll to your location in the WC map, click the 'Pick' button in areas. Now you can choose you area (top/left) in the WC map by 1 click and then size your area and click again for the right/bottom.
    4). In 'Image Export' tab choose your Image Zoom and Image Resolution. These determine the amount of image tiles.
    5). You can resize your area with clicking the 'Resize' button in 'Areas'. (Deactivate after resizing).
    6). Choose Heightmap zoom level in 'Heightmap Export' tab. (Right click in WC map, gives info on the max zoom for that area).
    7). Choose export path by clicking the 'Change' button in 'Heightmap Export' tab. (This will automatically use the same folder for Image Export if toggle next to filename is enabled, also it automatically chooses the same folder +/terrains for the Unity terrains that will be created).
    8). Click 'Export Heightmap' button, click 'Export Images' button.
    9). Activate 'Create Terrain' tab. Click 'Create Terrain' button. Now WC creates Unity terrains from your exported area.

As you can see this is not a hard workflow. The neat thing about WorldComposer is that you have a real world map where all your area's are stored and visualized, to go to an area simply select it with the popup and click the 'Go' button. You can also select an area by clicking the area label in the WC map. Compared to other Assets they need you to go in your internet browser and get lat/long's for the area you want to export. In WC you can see exactly what you can export. So I think WC workflow is pretty neat.

Nathaniel

47. RangePlusOne

RangePlusOne

Hello! Has anyone ever experienced colliders not working? I have sphere colliders around my trees and rocks and they are not solid at all? Any suggestions to fix this would be super awesome! Here is a screen of what I'm creating - so much easier to work with terrain with this tool! a1.jpg

Freddy888 likes this.
  48. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hi Nathaniel

I cannot post you a screenshot of my bing key in your editor, because the editor will not open. When I click on the world Tab, nothing happens. There is only this error message which i alreay posted in the last screenshot. So there is no use pressing K when the interface doesn't load up.

Error message:
    You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error (...) 401 unauthorised.

49. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hey. I am all but an expert when it comes to this asset. But maybe it is just a simple thing. You might want to look up unitys terrain settings (click on the terrain, then click on the Cog-Symbol in the inspector). Scroll down to the bottom of the settings. There should be an option asking if tree colliders should be generated in general. Check the Checkbox.

Don't know if that solves your problem, but this is a common thing to happen.

50. eagle555

eagle555

The WorldComposer window should be there somewhere. Try this:
    Reset Windows.jpg

Then reopen the WorldComposer window from Unity Menu -> Window -> WorldComposer.

Nathaniel