Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Demonith88

Demonith88

So i cant regenerate only that new terrain i need to do all of them :(

2. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Mabenan,

There goes something wrong with importing prefabs in Unity5 from older Unity version (as I uploaded TC from Unity 3.5.6). I exported the TC prefabs from Unity5, let me know if importing them fixes the issue.

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

3. PrimeTales

PrimeTales

the package fixed the issue.

thank you
    Mabenan

4. PrimeTales

PrimeTales

but I'm still missing the RTP Button

5. eagle555

eagle555

You can add a terrain, but you have to do that manually from the Unity menu and position it manually. Then you can add a terrain in the TC terrain list (deactive the rest) and drag and drop your terrain in there.

Nathaniel

6. eagle555

eagle555

7. PrimeTales

PrimeTales

Oh my fault

8. RangePlusOne

RangePlusOne

I'm trying to find tutorials on how to create a tunnel? Any tips? Thank you.

9. nbd

nbd

Hello, I am getting following exceptions when trying to delete filters and masks and the mask/filter doesn't get deleted. Please help.

MissingMethodException: CompilerGenerated.__TerrainComposer_main_menu$callable0$14951_28__.RecordObject
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.MethodDispatcherFactory.ProduceExtensionDispatcher ()
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.MethodDispatcherFactory.Create ()
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.DoCreateMethodDispatcher (System.Object target, System.Type targetType, System.String name, System.Object[] args)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.CreateMethodDispatcher (System.Object target, System.String name, System.Object[] args)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices+<Invoke>c__AnonStorey15.<>m__9 ()
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherCache.Get (Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherKey key, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.String cacheKeyName, System.Type[] cacheKeyTypes, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.Object[] args, System.String cacheKeyName, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.Invoke (System.Object target, System.String name, System.Object[] args)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  10. eagle555

eagle555

TerrainComposer generates Unity terrains. With the standard Unity terrain making tunnels is not possible, but you can do this with RTP.

Nathaniel

11. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Can you import this package and tell me if that fixes it?

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

12. NoahGarliot

NoahGarliot

Hello, I had a couple of questions about TerrainComposer. I have TerrainComposer, WorldComposer, and RTP and have been building a terrain around Mt. Adams. I chose a 28 by 28 kilometer region and everything was working very well until I decided to start placing trees. I really wanted a high density forest to surround large regions of the mountain, but when I placed the trees, even at high strength settings, they are sparse and unrealistic. I'm sure there's a setting I'm missing or something, but I just need help locating it. Here's what I have right now:

treedensity02.png

Now, in the green on the terrain there should be a pretty dense forest. I would tone it down from the actual real life density due to memory restrictions, and probably limit the tree distance and billboard distance, but there should still be a lot of trees.

This is the actual density, however:

treedensity.png

I don't need the entire area to be populated, but I would really like areas of dense forest, or places of trees grouped really close together. This is much more realistic than having them so sparse, as trees often group in clusters. I heard you can do this with a perlin curve, but I'm not sure how and am pretty new to all of this. Anyway, how could I increase the density of the trees so that it feels like a forest?

Oh, and the grass is black. That's not as important though, I can probably figure it out. It was working earlier.

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm really loving these assets!

13. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    I have one raw heightmap that tells where trees may bee and where not. Simply white on raw heightmap is forest.
    So I have one mask that has Input Image and Output Add.

Than i Have second mask. With Input Ray Cast. Output Subtract. Raycast Mode Hit. And specified stone layer.
    Strength 1.

Curve (Normal) x = 0 y = 0 x = 1 y = 1

This will result that trees will be generated only if tree is in stone. I was expecting opaque. That trees will be everywhere except on stones.
    So this means that if raycast hits specified layer it returns 0 if Curve (Normal) is x = 0 y = 0, x= 1 y = 1
    So after inverting curve (normal) I get expected behaviour.
    So in conlusion with normal curve 0 means hit of specified layer?

And some feature suggestion:
    From experiments it looks that raycast is evaluating all hits. It would be nice feature to get only first hit of raycast.
    So I can than invert layers selecting. And I can for example generate trees only if raycast hits terrain. And I don't need to specify all other layers to get rid of them.

Regards
    Peter

14. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

You can increase the tree resolution in TC terrain list -> Local Area -> Tree Resolution. Keep in mind that performance limitation of the amount of trees are on the Unity terrain side.

Yes you can use a perlin curve in a mask and even based on image colors/height/steepness/splat texture/etc. I have a tutorial video for this:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/tutorials/
    Help Video Placing Trees

That the grass is black is probable because you have Advanced Foliage Shaders in your project. This have to be setup according to its documentation.

Nathaniel

15. NoahGarliot

NoahGarliot

Thank you, that was a real help. I do have AFS in my project and when I set it up it's now working. I now have a great terrain!

16. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Peter,

Best is to use Max/Min for mask rules. So your first mask output you can set to Max, then the second raycast mask the output to Min. E.g. if first max value is 1 and second 0, the minimum value of the 2 will be chosen, so 0 (no placement). If the raycast does hit the output is 0 if it doesn't the output is 1.

As for the suggestion. Physics.Raycast can only ignore layers. You can invert layer selecting:
    1). Put your terrain on a layer.
    2). Click on the layer popup and select 'Everything'.
    3). Then click on the layer popup again and disable terrain layer.

Nathaniel

17. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Hi, is there a full list of the runtime API as im finding it a guessing game? Im using JS as thats what your examples are in and I think TC is written in (correct me if im wrong), which doesnt seem to offer intellisense?

Just wondering how I am meant to know what all the calls are?

Note: I ask this as i am simply trying to find a way to set the size or scale of the terrain at runtime.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  18. secondToOne

secondToOne

I may need to follow what eagle555 said in reply to NoahGarliot. I just upgraded Terrain Composer and I am not getting near the same results as the previous version. I used to have 100 tiles, grass looked real, trees looked real. So far, not liking the switch because I am redoing work, but I hope to figure out how to get back to where I was in old version.

Is 100 tiles an option anymore? Or an equivalent size

19. yezzer

yezzer

Using Unity 5.0.1f1, if I create a new terrain from your example package (Procedural Mountains), then expand the terrain in the TC window and assign a SpeedTree tree, and shift-click <Set>, all the grass disappears... and only reappears when the camera views the terrain at certain angles!

I'm using the free SpeedTree trees to test.

Any ideas what might cause this?

Edit: Removing the SpeedTree from the Terrain>Trees and hitting <set> makes the grass behave properly.
    Using Deferred, Linear.

Edit2: Of course, I want to use SpeedTree assets. Is Terrain Composer compatible?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  20. NoahGarliot

NoahGarliot

Hello, I have encountered another problem for which I can't find a fix to: there are rather large holes connecting four of the terrains together. I recently created a new project in Unity 5, and when I generated the terrain this game up:

upload_2015-4-8_21-7-48.png

I'm not really sure what this is a result of, but it is quite game breaking because it still appears when played. I'm not quite sure what caused this, but it seems very strange. I checked the Y transformation of the terrain and they're all at 0 so nothing has been translated up or down.

Attached Files:

21. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

I'm using SpeedTree too and not having any problems.

22. yezzer

yezzer

Hmm.. What's your rendering path?

23. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Not sure if I'm answering your question correctly: Deferred and DX11.

24. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Linear too. Same as you.

25. yezzer

yezzer

How strange. I have AFS and RTP in the project, but not in the scene.. are you using those too?

Are you using 5.0.1f1?

26. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

No, I'm using 5.0.0f4. I'm not using RTP either. I'm not sure what AFS is, so I'm probably not using that either.

Sorry, wish I could help. Just wanted to chime in that SpeedTree itself probably isn't the problem. I have no idea what it could be though. :(

27. yezzer

yezzer

I'll try yet another new project, this time in 5.0.0f4, and without AFS and RTP :)

FYI, AFS = Advanced Foliage Shader

28. yezzer

yezzer

Must be either a AFS or 5.0.1 thing. Seems fine with 5.0.1 and RTP!
    Quick noodling about..

tomaszek, SAOTA and Todd-Wasson like this.
  29. amasinton

amasinton

Is there a maximum pixel dimension for the heightmap?

I have a 140km x 70 km heightmap at 10m/pixel - so the height map is 14000 x 7000px. So, could I apply this to a set of 14 x 7 terrain tiles with each tile being 10km on a side? Or do I need to create 98 (14 * 7) individual heightmaps?

Thanks very much! I wrote in earlier with a similar question (which you addressed, thanks!) but am getting the hang of the workflow finally (not having much time to experiment with this yet).

30. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

@yezzer Those screens look amazing. Excellent work!

yezzer likes this.
  31. Recon03

Recon03

Nath my grass is black, I do not have AFS in my project . wondering how I can fix this thanks.!

32. Recon03

Recon03

resolved.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  33. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Hello there I'M just getting started with RTP bought it weeks ago along with terrain composer. making a TPS using motion

controller, easy input and adventure camera. After some research will add adventure creator.

Wheres a good start to learning how to use RTP with terrain composer?

Nothing to fancy just a jungle lisland like level with a ocean if the ocean is not to heavy on data if so just a jungle.

34. Sphelps

Sphelps

35. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Thanks friend :) I found this very usefull.

Sphelps likes this.
  36. TheBraxton

TheBraxton

I need a tutorial or something for using RTP with TerrainComposer. The above video is old and not helpful. Plus it seems the person making the tutorial doesn't know how to use RTP properly because the end results they come up with aren't desirable :O.

On top of this all the <RTP> button are missing in TerrainComposer now (or mine refuse to show up no matter how many times i import, or the steps i take on import?).

Can anyone do a step-by-step written or video tutorial on using newest RTP and TerrainComposer with Unity5? There's a LOT to both packages and for new people like me we're swamped with figuring out what to do :(!

yezzer likes this.
  37. yezzer

yezzer

@TheBraxton I totally agree!

A basic how-to on setting up RTP with TC on one of the sample terrains in TC would be perfect.

38. Sphelps

Sphelps

The button can be found in the picture

Attached Files:

• rtp.png
      rtp.png
      File size:
      116 KB
      Views:
  39. TheBraxton

TheBraxton

Thanks!

This is what i'm talking about though. Everything has changed since most of these videos etc were posted, and I'm shocked to learn TerrainComposer OR RTP haven't released a video on how to integrate the two because, quite frankly, they're so important to each other I don't see how anyone is NOT using both combined.

Pls :eek:?

PS: Can we get some info on how to create larger than 4x4 or 5x5 terrains? 64bit Editor now allows us to create 100x100 terrains. Not that I'd ever want to develop something that large....

40. mk1978

mk1978

Really nice looking environment!

I know that this is not TC related issue, but is it really so that it is not possible to render better looking grass in Unity?

41. h4voc

h4voc

Hi Nathaniel,
    while creating a terrain from externally created heightmap i encountered a problem. Maybe it is just a false understanding how multiple terrains work.

What I did:
    -Created a 1025 px heightmap
    -Created a terrain with terraincomposer. Splitted to 4 tiles, while each tile is 512. Now I created the heightmap layer and selected imput raw heightmap. Mode is: multiple terrain. Smoothed is checked.

The Problem:
    Terrain is not smoothed, all over the terrain are small steps.
    At first I thought that this is caused by the externally created heightmap (8bit problem or generation error)

But when create a single terrain tile (size: 1024) and add a heightmap layer in single mode it works fine. Same heightmap raw file as input.

That leads me to the conclusion that it has to do with multiple terrains. Then I watched your tutorial which led me to the question:

When I use multiple terrain do I have to split the heightmap raw to 4x 513px files? Is it not possible that terraincomposer uses one heightmap file for all terrain tiles?

Sorry when this has been ask before, but I could not find anything.

Thanks!

Greetings h4voc

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  42. yezzer

yezzer

I've paid very little attention to grass in those pics! Just some assets I bought a while back. There's definitely better ways. If you're interested, look at AFS and Volume Grass

43. MS80

MS80

Hi, maybe there is already a solution to this problem and I did not find it, but it seems there is a issue with AFS trees placed by TerrainComposer. If the AFS trees are placed / created with the Unity terrain brush everything is fine, but if the AFS trees are placed / created by TerrainComposer all tree billboards are black (Unity 5.0.1.f1 + AFS 4.0 + TerrainComposer 1.72)! The tree prefab in both situations is the same (afs tree demo scene), it happens in forward and deferred. Any ideas how to fix this issue?

black_tree_billboards.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  44. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Hi i am using the newest unity and terrain composer and have been trying for days to download the example package with no success so i am wondering can any one be able to post a download for this. I dont know why it dont download for me

45. eagle555

eagle555

I actually do have a tutorial video for RTP+TC:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/tutorials/
    Help Video Importing from WorldMachine/Using RTP with TerrainComposer

Since TerrainComposer generates standard Unity terrains and RTP works on standard Unity terrains, there's basically no difference in setting RTP up with or without TerrainComposer.

I created some handy features in TerrainComposer that can speed up the assigning of colormaps and normal maps in RTP by using auto search feature. I explain it in the video with importing from WorldMachine, as thats a good example how the auto search saves much time by having to do only 1 texture drag and drop instead doing annoying drag and drop for each colormap/normalmap for each terrain tile, if you use for example 5x5, would have to do 50 texture drag and drops...Also by shift clicking the <RTP> button TC will automatically assign the RTP script to each terrain tile, which you normally have to do by hand. And then you can setup the splat/normal/height textures in TC or RTP, it's the same...

So when saying setting up RTP with TerrainComposer is the same as saying setting up RTP with standard Unity terrain. So then getting RTP working leads back to Toms documentation and tutorials:

The maximum amount of tiles can be set in TerrainComposer window -> Menu -> Option -> Terrain Max Settings.

Nathaniel

46. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

WOW great video

47. eagle555

eagle555

For runtime I created a package with examples and documentation here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/runtime/

You can set the size of all terrains by:
    tc_script.terrains[0].size = new Vector3(your x size,your y size,same as x size);
    tc_script.FitTerrainTiles(tc_script.terrains[0],true);

Nathaniel

48. eagle555

eagle555

Yes sure every options is still in there. You can set terrain max tiles in TC Menu -> Options -> Terrain Max Settings.

In the new TerrainComposer version I changed the default object resolution from 512 to 64 and default tree resolution from 512 to 128. If you want the results to be the same as the old version just change those 2 back to 512 in TC terrain list -> Local Area -> Shift click <Set All>.

The reason I did this because new users that try out the examples inTC, they give them a good framerate. Better to start from low settings and explorer the limits then start with too many trees,etc and a low framerate. I had a review on the Asset Store that someone thought TC was the blame for the low FPS (The 'not even close' review), while TC is only generating Unity terrains and the limitations are on Unity's side.

Nathaniel

49. Recon03

Recon03

Nath, issue keeps coming back, every time I use Skyshop with TC, I get black grass. / I uninstalled Skyshop and its fine, then I reinstall its fine for abit , but when I redo splat maps issue comes back. I need Skyshop.. using Mobile, so using it for my terrain shaders. So I was told Skyshop should work, any reason why this would keep happening ??

Using Unity 5 , Skyshop is updated TC and WC both updated. I use both. Again this is on Android. It shows black in the editor in run time.

50. Recon03

Recon03

I don't use both combined.. I own RTP but cant use for mobile.. So its possible to use with out RTP.. just so you know..results are still amazing, I use Skyshop for the mobile terrain.