Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. twobob

twobob

Is this in reference to the maximum allowable terrains? or something else?

2. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

heightmap resolution size.

twobob likes this.
  3. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

When I click the RTP button, it flattens my terrain(s) and wont re-import the heightmap(s) again?

I am using 3x3 terrains with tiled heightmaps (2049 resolution)

The terrain just stays flat?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  4. twobob

twobob

5. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

on a terrain layer size. If you select 4097 and you have enough terrain tiles to put you over 32bit memory size, it says to vote for a 64 bit editor and takes you to the link for it. (which you can over ride) I am guessing the Author hasn't put in the 64 bit check yet

6. twobob

twobob

heh :) nice catch. 4097 wow. that really is a detailed spicy meatball.

7. Becoming

Becoming

Hehe, i remember when Nat and i were making the post in the feedback section. Finally we have this 64bit editor :)
    I am sure Nathaniel will fix this very soon.

8. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Well that was just a test. My scene is 3x3 2048 terrains with 2048 heightmaps. We are streaming the scene in runtime, so we can have more detail in each tile

9. twobob

twobob

very nice, I have been struggling with mesh v terrains for so long now I am almost losing sight of the original goal of simple to render - but detailed looking - "game-play space"

@Becoming tipped me to TC and I am happy with that nudge.
    I would always be very happy to take input on better detail for less resource (as anyone would)

10. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    I was trying generating forest with undergrowth.

I have one tree layer for big trees. That have set Min. Distance to 8 and Distance Level to Layer.
    Than I wanted to create another undergrowth tree layer. (that will be more dense but still will not collide with big trees).
    So I set Min. Distance to 3 and Distance Level to Layer Level. To calculate min distance from big trees too.
    But it's not working. Am I doing something wrong. Or I'm interpreting Distance Levels bad?

I was thinking that different levels means this:
    This:
    sets min distance only for actual tree
    Layer
    sets min distance for all trees in actual layer
    Layer Level
    sets min distance for all trees for root tree layer.
    Global
    set min distance between all objects places by terrain composer?

I haven't found it in manual so I'm only guessing.

P.S.:
    what exactly means Include Scale and Include Scale group?
    Thanks
    Peter

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  11. Smileysmiles

Smileysmiles

I dont have AFS. its an asset i never bought?

12. twobob

twobob

he meant RTS I think

13. Recon03

Recon03

not to be rude here I love TC, and WC, RTP and all of Becoming tools. But being a professional Game UI programmer and Artist, I have to disagree the UI in TC is lacking and not user friendly I'm afraid for a new user it can be hard for them, every person I had try TC gets annoyed by the UI.. I been using TC not long after it came out and at times, it annoys me as well.. The UI needs work, I gave TC a 5 star, because the tool is great and NATH works so hard at support.. So in defense to the other posters. I know Nath has been working and plan to improve the UI more.

Anyways in defense to Nath I don't think he deserves anything lower than 5 stars for the tool, because of the UI in my opinion, and I do this for a living... not a hobby.

/cheers.

14. Recon03

Recon03

I would love to see this as well.

15. GarretPolk

GarretPolk

Anyone know how to integrate TC and RTP?

I bought and imported TC and RTPv3 into a new project but I don't see any RTP integration in TC. There's no "RTP" button on the Terrain Composer tab like I see in your videos.

Thanks.

99thmonkey likes this.
  16. eagle555

eagle555

Hello John,

It works with Speedtrees. With load/save/add you can save all the trees you assigned in there, and later load them again. If you want to insert one in the list, you can click the '+' button, the 'Add' button inserts a save tree list. So the prefab is a saved tree list.

Nathaniel

17. MarcusWatson

MarcusWatson

Yeah, my fault. I'd had my head deep in AFS and misread your post. The point still stands though - TC only generates terrains so it's likely any issues you're having with UFPS and TC are UFPS related. What issues are you having?

18. eagle555

eagle555

Oh it's not thinking that. I just have that warning in if you exceed a certain maximum resolution for Unity 3.x/4.x not to crash. In Unity5 of course that won't happen anymore. You can disable this warning in TC Menu -> Options -> Terrain Max Settings -> Disable 'Restrict Total Resolutions'. I will change the warning text in Unity5, because still performance should be taken into account.

Nathaniel

19. John-G

John-G

Hi Nathaniel,

Yes it works ok, but what I'm requesting is that when you bring up the open dialogue box that .spm extension be a default along with the .Prefab

As it works now when you click the open trees dialogue window.
    You have .prefab extension as default, you can select show all to see the .spm extensions.
    With speedtree sure to be the new standard in Unity yes, it would be nice to see both standard unity tree prefabs as well as the speedtree prefabs on opening the window.

20. eagle555

eagle555

It's just a warning that is triggered for total resolutions bigger than 8k. As newcomers to Unity terrain usually don't know about the performance (and before memory) limitations.

Nathaniel

21. eagle555

eagle555

I tested here, and it does not happen, as clicking the <RTP>, adds the ReliefTerrain.cs script to each terrain, and does not do any operation on the terrain heightmap. Only terrains get flattened if you add/erase terrains to the TC terrain list with the Create Terrain wizzard.

Nathaniel

22. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Peter,

It works, but you have to set filter output to Random if you want trees to be selected randomly in your layer. As a filter selects which tree to place and a mask if that tree is placed or not. It should work if you put distance to 'Layer Level', but you probably have more trees in each layer and then you need to shift click the '>Set All' button in distance to apply those settings to the other trees in the layer (as each tree can have its own distance settings). You can also enable prevent overlap toggle to make sure trees don't collide.

Yes that is what it means. Include scale mean that the distance is calculated based on scale. So if the scale of a tree is 2, then the distance would be 8x2 = 16. Scale is the scale in each tree, Scale group is the Scale slider in the layer (it's a scale for all trees in that layer).

Nathaniel

23. eagle555

eagle555

Can you show a screenshot of what happens?

Nathaniel

24. eagle555

eagle555

Well actually it doesn't work that way. The open trees dialogue is a custom prefab I made with the save_tree_preset script, it holds a array (list) of tree prototypes. So you can't open any other prefab that doesn't have this script on it. If you want a list of all trees, just click on the little 'o' icon behind each object field.

Nathaniel

John-G likes this.
  25. eagle555

eagle555

26. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    we are probably misunderstanding. I have two tree layers. One layer for big trees with mask for example whole terrain.
    And I have second layer for undergrowth trees. With different mask for example only on mountains or whatever.

And I wanted to apply min distance between trees of different layers. To be able to create undergrowth trees without colliding with big trees.

27. eagle555

eagle555

Oh sorry I thought you used min in filter. But I tested and it worked here, did you shift click the >Set all button in distance foldout?

Nathaniel

28. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    in undergrowth I'm using only one kind of tree. So I think that I don't need set all button clicked.
    Nevermind, I have sent You bunch of screenshots to mail with subject Two layers distance check.

Perhaps it will be more clearer from config and result screenshoot what I'm thinking. Or I'm doing bad..

Regards
    Peter

29. Sphelps

Sphelps

30. twobob

twobob

But it does create a wind zone? (I thought was some note on this in the readme.) this may be intended behaviour in 5_0

re trees:

funnyTrees.JPG
    Kinda like that? Again, - if this is correct - I think this pertains to upgrading assets to 5_0 rather than a TC "fail".
    Going to look at this aspect now myself.

31. Sphelps

Sphelps

That is what I thought to

32. twobob

twobob

Hmm well looking at a prefab in the editor view doesn't show the problem... so it's something in the rendering
    editorView.JPG

33. Sphelps

Sphelps

No shadows fixes it, but we want shadows

34. Sphelps

Sphelps

Also I have a question about TC.

I am looking to have a random gen terrain if possible, meaning I would like the player to get a random seed and then it will be generated from that seed. Is this possible with TC? If not that is fine.

35. twobob

twobob

Hmm.. you know this may have been picked up in the p2 patch release. Sounds familiar.
    However for us:

Turning off receive shadows on the individual asset fixed it (f4)

receive shadows.JPG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  36. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    for benefit of other users. Problem was solved. It was just needed to set both layers Distance Level to Layer Level.
    So now I have working big trees with some distance between them. And more dense undergrowth that is 1meter from other undergrowth. And 1m from big tree too.
    And they are in two layers

Thanks to Nathaniel for explanation through email!
    Peter

OnePxl and hopeful like this.
  37. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

twobob likes this.
  38. Sphelps

Sphelps

What happened to the TC and RTP tuts

99thmonkey likes this.
  39. GarretPolk

GarretPolk

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  40. eagle555

eagle555

Oh sorry the link was incorrect, I fixed it now. The video's are hidden on my youtube channel...

Nathaniel

41. eagle555

eagle555

Yes indeed a bug in Unity5, thanks a lot for the fix, will implement it in the next update :).

Nathaniel

42. Sphelps

Sphelps

Found it thanks

43. MS80

MS80

Hey Nathaniel, I have a question regarding to multi-resolution terrains created with worldcomposer.
    Is it possible to handle multi-resolution terrains with terraincomposer? My problem is, only the last created terrain (with worldcomposer) is correctly loaded in terraincomposer!?
    In this tuturioal you showed us how to create multires terrains:

But how could I handle each of those areas with terraincomposer seperatly (area0, 1, 2, 3)?

44. Dave3of5

Dave3of5

Hi Nathaniel,

I'm having real trouble with grass density. On two different test projects I get very different results for the grass density with similar settings.

With the current terrain I am creating (again a test), I get very low density. Please see uploaded my grass settings and a screenshot of the grass density. When looking at your tutorial video from grass (
    ) the density of your grass is much higher. I did originally set 8 grass textures on this terrain rather than the 2/3 grass textures but I have reset the grass/details settings to only one grass texture and shift clicked set all.

Any help here would be great!
    grass.JPG settings.JPG

I managed to up the grass density a little bit by adding on a few masking with add output but I don't want to do this as it seems completely the wrong thing to do. Also when I added too many filters like the patches of the grass randomly disappearing, I presume as the mask it taking the value too high (if you know what I mean).

P.S. This is in unity 5.

David

45. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    You can change density of generated grass in Terrains/Terrain/Resolutions/Grass Resolution or
    Terrains/Terrain/Settings/Grass Density.

So try to play with these settings too. And don't forget to apply it to all terrains if You have more terrains.
    Nice day
    Peter

46. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Hi, is there a way for TC to load a heightmap and overlay a base texture at runtime?

Is there any examples or instructions on how this can be done if so?

Thanks

47. Dave3of5

Dave3of5

Hey thanks allot

That seems to have sorted the density problem but now I see a new problem.

I'm now seeing a strange striping with the grass see:

striping.JPG

It's like this all over the terrain 0_o

David

48. eagle555

eagle555

Yes you can handle each area one by one. You can search terrains in parent GameObject. If you right click on the terrain foldout text (see page 8 TC Manual), then enable 'Search Hierarchy' in popup menu. You can drag/drop one of your areas and shift click <Search>.

Nathaniel

49. eagle555

eagle555

As Peter suggested grass density can be changed in TC terrain list -> Resolutions -> Grass Resolution. Also if you add more grass textures the density gets higher. Also the density is depending on the terrain size.

You have put filter strength back to 1, this is something in the Unity grass rendering, if the density value gets too high you get these stripes.

Nathaniel

50. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Yes this is possible, TerrainComposer can do the same in runtime as what you do in the Editor. You can already put the layer with the heightmap (heightmap needs to be in a resources folder to be included in your build). Then you can enable/disable this layer inside your script and then generate. I created a runtime package with a Unity script and C# example script and also documentation.
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/runtime/

Nathaniel