Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Placing vegetation with a tree layer is the same as placing trees manually with Unity terrain tools, and placing vegetation with an object layer is the same placing prefabs manually. So not sure why it is not working correctly. How did you place them with TerrainComposer, in a tree or object layer?

Nathaniel

2. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

You can check the troubleshoot page for this.
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/troubleshooting/

When I want to create a heightmap layer and add a heightmap filter, choose heightmap output and click generate nothing happens. Why?
    * In an earlier TerrainComposer version the default filter for the heightmap layer was on perlin. But some users where trying to input a heightmap and it got mixed with the perlin curve, so that give wrong results. So I decided to make the default filter flat. If you want perlin you have to click the ‘Curve’ button next to the visual curve and choose -> Line -> Default Perlin. Now if you click generate the perlin will appear.

Nathaniel

3. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

If you change input to Raw heightmap, then you need to load a raw heightmap file. It won't generate anything if you don't load anything.

Nathaniel

4. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Eric and Patrick,

Eric: A script was missing in the update.
    Patrick: UV's were indeed missing on the top and right, I fixed this.

So new update TerrainComposer_Fix2 has a fixes for both issues. Can you test if it works?

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

5. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Patrick,

For splatmap on mesh you need a special layer shader. There's a free 4 layer terrain shader on wiki:
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/TerrainFourLayer

The number in the parenthesis behind heightmap resolution, is the amount of transaction from Bing maps needed to export the heightmap:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff859477.aspx

Yes you can erase the TerrainComposer folder from your project when building an APK. But be sure to backup it, or just move the folder outside your project. You will also need to delete the _TerrainComposer GameObject from the hierarchy. This contains your TC project, so be sure to save it first (TC Menu -> File -> Save).

Yes using meshes instead of Unity terrain for mobile is fastest. However there's no tree system for meshes build into Unity.

Nathaniel

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks...

new question..I want to paint mesh objects, by image filter...I see the check box Mesh in the detail slot..
    Can I paint on WC terrain, imported into TC..
    so I have 1) original terrain, 2). my mesh converted terrain, perfectly lined up..
    Can I use the image filter, to place my mesh objects..Is It dependent on Unity terrain?
    I purchased quick brush to paint my objects..but if I can find a way to use TC, by pixel values...It would save me..weeks!! (I think I confused myself)...here is where I am since, buying TC..this was of course..by hand..6X6 3 LODs...ready to populate with low poly objects..I will take a look at the UV fix you posted..thank you..

7. eagle555

eagle555

Yes you can use TerrainComposer to place objects on your Unity terrain based on image colors:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/tutorials
    Help Video for placement based on image colors (New)
    It is done with a tree layer, but the same can be done with object layer.

So if you keep the original Unity terrains enabled you can place your objects with TC and later delete the terrains.

Nathaniel

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks..I was counting on that...I did go through all documentation and tutorials.
    I just wanted to make sure..because all my tress, are mesh objects..

I appreciate all your help!!

better example of what I was talking about:..

WC -> TC - Unity Terrain

New LOD Mesh (placing mesh objects o the terrain above - then using them on mesh below..

p-

9. Roni92

Roni92

Hello, just simple question here, is it possible with this asset to make at least somewhat realistic WWII villages using for example grayscalemap(darker ares means more density of buildings), but without completely random positionion, I mean that the created villages and cities would be usable in game.
    I mean something like this, but better - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/8309

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  10. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

It is possible to place buildings on rules, like image color (image map), perlin noise, steepness and height of terrain. There's many settings for object placement, but you will have to do some manual adjustments as well..

Nathaniel

11. Roni92

Roni92

Great, thanks for the answer.

12. Bigpete591

Bigpete591

Is anyone interested or know anyone that might be interested in getting paid to make terrain for levels in a new hardcore fantasy MMO called Reagent?

I have been trying to learn Terrain Composer for 2 months, but I keep running into issues that I don't know how to solve. For example, I built the heightmap resolution in 128, as suggested in the tutorial I watched from Nathanial, and then when I changed it to 1024 resolution to get more quality, it looked like this: http://sidepm.com/tc-resolution.jpg

I am not blaming this on TerrainComposer, it is a wonderful program. I blame it on my lack of experience and knowledge of using complicated procedurally generated software with so many settings and options!

With that said, we have decided it would save time and yield higher quality to hire an expert to make the terrain we can use in our MMO levels (about 12-15 small zones, each about 250-250 in size). We can do the rest once we have the base terrains for the levels! Most of the programming and content is already finished, we just need the terrain for each level to put it all together.

Our levels will be small, we don't want any large open spaces, just some areas for mobs and constricted pathways with mountains limiting where the player can go. I can draft the levels on paper and send it to the terrain artist to build.

If you know anyone interested, please have them email me at thaiblazo@gmail.com - I am hoping the right expert can generate each small terrain in a few hours. We have purchased TerrainComposer, RTP, and can buy any Texture/Vegitation Packs needed to make each terrain look beautiful. Please get the word out to anyone you know that has experience with TerrainComposer!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  13. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

For support you can always contact me. The issue you have with the heightmap is that you use a higher heightmap resolution on the terrain then the resolution of the Raw file you are importing. It's like upscaling an image, you will see blockyness...If you made the heightmap with TC perlin, all you need to do then is using the same perlin filter again. If you import the heightmap you need the heightmap to be the same or higher resolution then your Unity terrain resolution.

For making terrains I don't have time for it, but hope some of the expert TerrainComposer users will be able to help you ;).

Nathaniel

14. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi Nathaniel,

I have a simple question regarding the Mesh Convert tool.

How am I meant to specify the material overall for the converted mesh, if the terrain itself has been made up of say 4 textures (each with a normal and a diffuse map)?

One might have thought that TC could generate this material containing the overall diffuse and normal maps?

.. or maybe it does (and I don't know how) or maybe there is another way?

thanks,

Nalin

15. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Nalin,

You will have to create 4 materials in your Unity project and assign each material to each mesh. You can make global normal maps with TC and assign them:
    Help Video Making normal maps with TerrainComposer (New)

You can also extract the splatmap with TC and use them in a layered shader. You however need a special layered terrain shader for your meshes. RTP/ATS colormap shader. Or T4M has layered shader optimized for mobile. You can also download a free 4 layer terrain shader from wiki:
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/TerrainFourLayer

Nathaniel

16. ERCentertainment

ERCentertainment

I want to use terrain composer for creating a terrain at runtime with textures that has been loaded at runtime as well. How do I generate the terrain with textures as heightmap, splatmap etc. I've looked through documentation and terrain composer runtime but I don't really understand how to change set a texture as input

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  17. Aestyr

Aestyr

I've changed the import to RAW heightmap and imported the heightmap but still cannot get it to load, if I import directly into unity's inspector it loads the heightmap however through terraincomposer it doesn't open

18. eagle555

eagle555

You can setup a TC project in the TC window, and then use that project at runtime. So you don't need to add layers/filters/images by script (although that is possible), but can do it from the TC window, and then access it by script.

Nathaniel

19. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Can you show a screenshot of your heightmap filter?
    I explain in this tutorial video how to do it:
    Help Video Importing Heightmaps
    (http://www.terraincomposer.com/tutorials)

Nathaniel

20. eagle555

eagle555

21. ERCentertainment

ERCentertainment

Thanks but how do I change the input image via script?

22. knotFF

knotFF

Nathaniel.
    Both gave similar results (tree/object layer).
    I modified the shader on some of the plants and some come back to life. Some simply don't work.
    Thanks.
    F.

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

The UV fix for mesh converter worked..but with errors...thanks..I can now export for LODs so much quicker!!..

Code (csharp):
    2. Couldn't create asset file!
    3. UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:CreateAsset(Object, String)
    4. terraincomposer_save:convert_terrains_to_mesh() (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js:10430)
    5. TerrainComposer:Paint() (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:2758)
    6. TerrainComposer:OnGUI() (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:886)
    7. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    9. UnityException: Creating asset at path C:/Projects/Unity_4/WW2_Dogfighter/AirStrike/ExportedObj/FranceInner_x2_y2.asset failed.
    10. terraincomposer_save.convert_terrains_to_mesh () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js:10430)
    11. TerrainComposer.Paint () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:2758)
    12. TerrainComposer.OnGUI () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:886)
    there is a problem with jpeg images...they create artifacts...png, not as bad...

way beyond the scope of this product line!!

because of this..

(image compression, jpeg/normal smoothing on mesh vs unity terrain?)

the only way I was able to solve..increase each image by 2 pixels, select minus 1 pixel, then reduce back to original size..creating a 2 pixel buffer, between image UV's..and save tp .png. wacky!!!

p

p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2014
  24. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Can you explain exactly what you want to adhieve? And why you need to assign an image at runtime?

You can look into terraincomposer_classes.js

You can enable Database Restore to see filter/mask index. As they have a separate generic list.
    TC Menu -> Options -> Database Restore

There's text showed behind each filter/mask with the index.
    Height Select 0 --> 2 (filter index)

This is how you can assign an image in a filter.
    tc_script.filter[filter index].preimage.image[0] = (Texture2D)

Best regards,
    Nathaniel

25. eagle555

eagle555

Maybe we can do a skype screenshare. My skype account is Nathaniel.Doldersum

Nathaniel

26. eagle555

eagle555

You need to save the meshes inside your project folder Assets...That why Unity gives that error. As for the lines at the border. This can be improved by setting wrap mode to 'Clamp' instead of 'Repeat' in image import settings.

Nathaniel

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

whoops..I was wondering about why it turned into a scene asset. Thanks
    .About the images, yes they are clamped..
    There are always seems at the borders. at the pixel level, when I export to mesh, regardless of what tool, or how I do it..(I think it has something to do with mesh normal smoothing levels, and image compression) The images from WC just do not line up,(at least the section of southern France)..some have different light exposures, so I tried 4096 raw..same thing..I have been doing this for months..Why do each of my sections seem like the are from separate satellite shots..and not one big shot, which is then, split by your software....but all of this is really out of your control..

Like I said before,this beyond the scope of WC/TC and I am sure Terrain 4 Mobile will have the exact same problem..

I love both your products,and have spent weeks trying get 36 satellite images to line up exactly, pixel to pixel, color to color...adjusting levels/brightness-contrast, going edge by edge with the cloning brush..converting terrains to mesh, re-uv's, LODs, moving back and forth from unity to Maya,

Only with your tool set was this possible (I got a refund for a competing product, because I thought it was yours!)

and this closes this topic for me.

Thanks again.

Patrick

28. Eric1005

Eric1005

Hello Nathaniel,

it runs perfectly :)

thank you

29. Freddy888

Freddy888

Hi,

I have some 1024x1024 ground splat textures. When rendered they look too large on the ground. Especially as some of the textures have leaves that look enormous !

Is there are way to reduce the scale of the splat map on the ground so it looks better/smaller and more hi resolution ?

Thank you.

30. Freddy888

Freddy888

Ohhh... I just found it - I needed to click on 'Settings' under the texture and I can set the tile size.

Well that was a quick fix lol

While I am here I want to say this is a great product and I am having a lot of fun with it :)

31. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Patrick,

Yes it's out of my control. Some area's in Bing and Google maps are nasty because as you mention have different lighting, because the images are taken at different dates, the images with the high zoom level option are taken from an airplane...Your result looks really good ;).

Nathaniel

32. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Glad you like it :), yes indeed can be adjusted with splat texture tile size...

Nathaniel

33. Freddy888

Freddy888

I was wondering - is there anything built in that makes a top view of the terrain ? I need something for the user to orientate themselves with. Like in MMOs you view the map and can see where you are.

Or is there anyone who could give any pointers on how this could be achieved.

Many thanks :)

34. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

hi i am having issues when downloading the Example package it gets to 100% then just says stop then goes back to download, how can we fix this, it seems someone on the youtube channel had this same issues about 2 months ago and was never addressed.

35. eagle555

eagle555

You can use another camera for this. Or make an image of the topview of the terrain, like we did with the 24 hour demo.

Nathaniel

36. eagle555

eagle555

I don't read the questions under my youtube video's, I do check this forum/skype and my mail...

You can download it directly from:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nx5r0e6btv24dz4/TerrainComposer_Examples1.2.unitypackage?dl=0

Nathaniel

RealSoftGames likes this.
  37. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  38. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

hi, is it possible to create more than 1 island? e.g have 5-15 islands for your game so you can drive across them over the water in a boat, or fly across in a plane or helicopter

39. treshold

treshold

I think only limit is unity editor being 32-bit, meaning that whatever you do is possible unless it cripples your system. For example that procedural islands example is fast few-click-solution for creating many separate islands and then you just add water plane of your choosing :)

40. Bigpete591

Bigpete591

I'm having some trouble getting my desired effect. I want to generate mountains on the edge of my map to act as a barrier. To do this I created a border image that corresponds with the edge of the level, I use this as a mask on a perlin generated heightmap layer. It works fine, but where the mask fades out, the terrain has a wavy step like appearance. I want a nice smooth transition from mountains to the rest of the terrain.

The bumpy terrain where the mask fades out

Border mask

TC settings

I've tried adjusting most settings and can't seem to get a smooth transition. I verified in photoshop the border image smoothly transitions from black to white. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Updated with a better quality border image.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  41. Freddy888

Freddy888

Hi again,

I'm trying to use mesh model grasses.

The trouble is instead of being rooted to the ground, the whole plant is moving around in the wind.

Is there a setting to root it to the spot please ?

42. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

would there be an example video on this?

43. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

hi, i have played around with the settings for a bit but i cant seem to get past this issue with the ground turning out like poke dots any pointers to what im doing wrong, also cant get the terrain to work the way i want it with procedural island Generation, it doesnt smooth out the outside of the terrain, but gives it a mountain style look, anyway to make that smooth out to add an ocean/beach effect and other islands?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/idayay7dy1fsytm/Untitled.png?dl=0

44. knotFF

knotFF

Sorry for the late reply.
    I sent you an invite.
    Thanks.
    F.

45. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

hi when i run the Terrain composer i get fatal error out of memory, any idea on how to fix this, i have i5-2500k CPU, 8GB DDR3 RAM, and 1 GB graphics card, PC run smooth untill i try to create a 10x10 terrain. and sometimes even smaller ones.

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

when you get a chance,

A). can you give me the script name and line number, in TC where you add a mesh Combiner script to every single item that I place with image filters.(it places one on 2,000 single trees, 1 tree = 1 script..).It actually needs to be at the top of my grouped objects. I need to comment out., or possibly a boolean, attatchCombinerScript = false.., attatchCombinerScriptToRoot = true.(see below)

B).I recall you said, somewhere, I can parent these new objects, to my own empty game object..I am having a hard time finding, where this option is located.(I want to group by Item/section. - ie..treesPine_x1_y2, I can code this myself)

C). when importing from WC, I did get errors regarding the compressed format of my sat images, it listed the acceptable formats (RGB32, etc -), I converted, placed objects, converted them back.This is not mentioned anywhere..you might want to.

Just some things that came while in production, nothing major!!

Thanks

Patrick

47. eagle555

eagle555

Yes you can do this, also performance is the limitation vs resolutions you choose. I included a procedural island example in TerrainComposer like Treshold says...

Nathaniel

48. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

If you use a 16 bit raw grey scale image, you should be able to get smooth transition, but properly you needed more blurring on the image in photoshop, blurring = smoothing.

Nathaniel

49. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

I found this post about it, seems like you have to paint vertex colors on your mesh that determines how much it is influenced by wind. On the root it needs to be black color, you can read more about it here:
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/16834/wind-detail-meshes-are-moved-by-wind-back-and-fort.html

Nathaniel

Freddy888 likes this.
  50. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

This is caused by random, properly you have a random curve active. If you can show me a screenshot of your splat layer I can look where is this settings. Yes more smooth is possible by duplicating the island layer and set zoom level of the perlin higher, so it creates a bigger base, and also need to lower the overall height. If you need help with this let me know...

Nathaniel