Search Unity

TENKOKU - Dynamic Sky

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Apr 12, 2015.

1. chingwa

chingwa

TENKOKU - Dynamic Sky System for Unity 5
    Tenkoku – Dynamic Sky brings completely dynamic high-fidelity sky rendering to Unity developers. There are no sky boxes or static elements, everything from the clouds to each individual star is it's own individual element with appropriate movement and behavior.

Download Demo | Overview Video | Documentation PDF | Help Forum

Available Now on:
    Unity Asset Store ver 1.2.0

TanukiDigital.com ver 1.2.0

-------------------------
    INCLUDED FEATURES:

Real-World Accuracy

- Complete 24hour day-night-year cycle
    - True equinox & precession positioning
    - Latitude and longitude adjustment
    - Accurate sun, planet, and star positions
    - Accurate lunar movement and phases

Lighting and Rendering

- Adjustable full scene lighting
    - Volumetric lit atmosphere effects
    - Multi-layer dynamic cloud formations
    - Beautiful night sky rendering

Advanced FX

- Ambient sound effects
    - Advanced weather effects
    - Aurora rendering based on latitude
    - Partial, annular, and total solar eclipse

Ease-of-Use

- Built for Unity 5
    - Simple to setup and customize
    - Easy-to-use custom interface

Register your Purchase

By registering your Unity Asset Store purchase with Tanuki Digital you get immediate access to updates as they happen, as well as Tenkoku and Tanuki Digital news and information. Click here to register...[/URL]

for further information about Tenkoku, please visit the below sites:
    TENKOKU HOMEPAGE

TENKOKU HELP FORUM
    TENKOKU DOCUMENTATION
    Requirements:

Unity version 5.0+ (5.3.4+ recommended), Works with PC/Linux/Mac Desktop and Webplayer[/URL]

** Linear lighting and Tonemapping recommended but not required **

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    icetec, Farelle, Gozdek and 7 others like this.
  2. Exeneva

Exeneva

I bought this from your website. I find setting it up to be a bit difficult. Can you create a 'setup' scene for Unity 5, or a demo scene?

3. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Exeneva, Thank you for your purchase! A demo scene is coming soon. In the meantime below is a step-by-step instruction guide for installing... take a look and let me know if anything is unclear. Also if you continue to have any difficulty, or have sky that looks weird in any way then please send me a screenshot and we'll get it worked out together.

(Edit 2016... the below image shows a completely outdated install procedure)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Exeneva likes this.
  4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Can you please also describe how to set the unity 5 lighting settings ?

5. chingwa

chingwa

Unity 5 lighting... pertaining to what?

6. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Camera flags. Also which component goes into the sun setting in environmental lighting under scene lighting in lighting tab.

7. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Do we leave skybox blank - or default or something else ? Reason i ask is when i tried in scene - was unable to get the terrain to light nicely even though the sky was gorgeous.

chingwa likes this.
  8. chingwa

chingwa

@AdamGoodrich the Skybox should get overwritten in the scene when Tenkoku is turned on... so it may be best to leave this set to color instead of skybox (on your camera object I mean). In order to get the Tenkoku sky info feeding into Unity 5 shaders you'll need to add a Reflection Probe to your scene with the following settings...

Note the "Size" setting needs to be large enough to encompass the geometry in your scene... and it should possibly(?) be made a child of your main camera object. Actually I should probably have this setup for you guys automatically. I'll look into this for the next update.

Also note that if you have additional lights in your scene you should remove the "sky" layer from their culling mask setting, otherwise it's likely to blow out the sky rendering colors.

For the camera in your scene make sure it's set to render the "sky" and "moon" layer.
    The "sun" setting in the Unity Lighting/environment section can be left blank as this is only meant for built-in unity 5 skyboxes. Tenkoku renders it's own skysphere, so this isn't needed.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  9. chingwa

chingwa

And I've found the first post-release bug... the nighttime star/galaxy is not rendering properly when a project is in gamma mode. Changing to "Linear" mode fixes this (and indeed I recommend running in linear for best rendering fidelity anyway). I'll have this fixed so they work in gamma in the next update.

10. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks much appreciated - will see how i go with it :)

11. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hmm... my scene looks fine when its running - but is unusable in edit mode. Here is a little test i created - its using linear lighting, and static flag has been removed from terrain so that its all real time lit.

Attached Files:

12. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

And the last image...

Attached Files:

13. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Must say i to really like it tho - so my issue is more with how to use it in edit mode :)

Attached Files:

14. MS80

MS80

Does Tenkoku work with the Oculus Rift DK2? Is it intended to work in combination with Suimono?

15. chingwa

chingwa

@MS80 I haven't tested the rift personally, but I've had reports of it working just fine from some customers. It currently works well together with Suimono, but Suimono will require the 2.1 update (coming soon) for a more full integration.

@AdamGoodrich I'm sure I could make some changes specifically for edit mode so it doesn't black out your screen... right now I believe it doesn't do anything in edit mode, so the lights and colors aren't calculated until you hit play. This is likely the root of the problem.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  16. chingwa

chingwa

17. GarretPolk

GarretPolk

I'm working on a project which I plan to use a custom 80 day calendar (4 seasons, 20 days each) and have 2 moons. Could Tenkoku be used for this?

18. Exeneva

Exeneva

Any way this would be ready before this weekend? Ludum dare 32 is taking place this weekend.

19. chingwa

chingwa

@NunSuperior The timings and movement in Tenkoku are calculated for earth (and are pretty complex) so changing them in order to get a shorter season isn't feasible at the moment, unfortunately. A second moon could be added but you would have to dig into the code to do so. Alternatively you could turn off the tenkoku movements, but you'd have to code your own 20-day seasonal movements... I don't recommend this.

@Exeneva I'll try and get a small update version out by Friday :)

20. mwituni

mwituni

So how does the day / night cycle work then?
    I saw an option to "speed up" day / night, and adjust a curve to make night even shorter etc. But if we have a day night cycle set to say 6 hours, that would mean 4 game days per real day. What happens to the DATE variable then? I assume it rolls on to next day after each game cycle? ie. what changes the date value if not a game day/time cycle?

21. chingwa

chingwa

Yes that's correct... the actual passage of time can be sped up or slowed down based on an auto-time multiplier, and yes you can change the curve over a 24 hour period to speed up the passage of time at night for example. once the hour hits 24 it resets to the next consecutive day... once the day hits 365.25 it resets to the next year... etc.

However the actual length of the moon/month cycle and thus the length of seasons/year are calculated based on earth-centric data so a typical month will have around 30 days in it, and this isn't currently editable very easily. So you can control how fast hours/days/months will pass, but you can't really control how many days in a month or how many days in a year etc.

22. GarretPolk

GarretPolk

Thanks for the quick reply.

23. mittense

mittense

working on integrating Tenkoku with Sunshine:

Attached Files:

24. chingwa

chingwa

@mittense Oooooh cooool :D

Just as an FYI, for anyone using Tenkoku in Unity gamma mode I've just fixed a number of lighting/rendering bugs. A new update should be ready in the next day or so.

25. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Tenkoku version 1.0.1 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download

---------------------------------------------
    RELEASE NOTES - Version 1.0.1
    ---------------------------------------------
    WHAT'S NEW
    - Improved moon rendering with better texture and atmosphere-influenced color during rise/set times.
    - Added day and night ambient sound effects controller, including curves for 24 hour period and yearly(seasonal) period.

CHANGES
    - Lighting/color/cloud calculations are now performed in scene-view mode for easier setup.
    - Multiplied overall scene lighting by x2 to fit new Unity 5 lighting system.
    - Improved lighting with overcast setting, lighting now stays brighter much longer.
    - Tweaked overcast cloud growth settings for better transition.
    - Tweaked sun lens-flare brightness in relation to sun brightness.
    - Removed Cloud Quality setting (this function was deprecated during the beta).

BUG FIXES
    - Edited Color rendering strength when Unity is in Gamma Mode.
    - Fixed an issue with stars and galaxy not being visible at night when Unity is in Gamma mode.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    mittense and John-G like this.
  26. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hi,
    Love the atmospherics, but have an issue with SpeedTree and the atmospherics and fog.
    I deliberately made it worse so you could see it in the attached picture... seems like speed tree not being affected by it... Hope you can fix that as its the only thing bringing down a totally awesome asset!!
    Also, fyi, I set up Tenkoku to use Sky layer and got no light on my terrain (in the terrain layer). But then when i set back to default it worked fine. I have no idea why :)
    Cheers,
    Adam.

Attached Files:

27. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Adam,

Hmm... I've had no trouble with Speedtree trees here on my end... the demo video above is using speedtree. I wonder if some models have this issue and some don't? Are your trees populated via the terrain system, or are they placed by hand or instantiated with code?

28. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hi Chingwa,

The trees were manually placed using the standard terrain tree tool i.e. they are not separate objects.

Actually i found something else that might point you in the right direction- you can also see that the rock is not being handled properly regardless of whether it is static or non static. The terrain is being done via RTP. The rocks on the hills are rocks out of an asset pack.

The issue here is that fog is not affecting anything but the underlying unity terrain.

Your lighting is gorgeous so I hope you can find a fix :)

Cheers,
    Adam.

Attached Files:

29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Here is an example that shows distant objects being affected by fog / haze.

Attached Files:

30. chingwa

chingwa

This seems like a real mystery! I've tried a few tests here using different types of objects/shaders and can't seem to reproduce this. I've tried legacy shaders as well as U5 standard shaders to no avail. I only have a couple different speed tree models here, but I've tried all the ones I have and they work ok.

Do you have a multiple camera setup in your scene? Does RTP change the SpeedTree shaders in anyway(that you know of)? Perhaps it's possible to export a couple of your scene objects (maybe 1 rock model and 1 speedtree model) and send them to me for testing?

31. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks Chingwa - Have been pushing some crazy hours over past few weeks to get thru this project on time. Delivered yesty. Will create a test project and send thru in the next week - the one i have is too large. I am sure it is a simple thing to sort out. Cheers Adam.

32. chingwa

chingwa

Sounds good Adam! If you prefer to email directly you can reach me here... konnichiwa[at]tanukidigital.com
    -Justin

33. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hi Justin,
    Have sent you a link to a shared directory along with a rar file with a reproducible test.
    Cheers,
    Adam.

34. EiKON-Andy

EiKON-Andy

I am working on a multiplayer game and the player is spawned so I can't set the camera in the editor. Can I set the scene camera at runtime?

Thanks,

Andy

35. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Andy,
    Well first, if you don't specify a camera it will search your scene for a camera tagged as "MainCamera".
    If you need to instead specify the camera while running your scene you can do this...I've made a few edits to the main code thread which will make this a bit smoother. I just sent you an update via email. With the code update installed all you have to do is place the below code somewhere in your scene, and it will set tenkoku to use whatever camera you specify as "Use Camera"...

Code (CSharp):
    1. #pragma strict
    3. var useCamera : Transform;
    4. private var tenkokuModule : TenkokuModule;
    6. function Start () {
    7.     tenkokuModule = GameObject.Find("Tenkoku DynamicSky").GetComponent(TenkokuModule) as TenkokuModule;
    8. }
    10. function LateUpdate () {
    11.     if (tenkokuModule != null){
    12.         if (useCamera != null){
    13.             tenkokuModule.mainCamera = useCamera;
    14.         }
    15.     }
    16. }

36. chingwa

chingwa

37. John-G

John-G

Hi Justin, having a small issue with clouds not rendering to horizon.

No clouds between the yellow lines.

Adjusting the overcast does not effect the sky colour within the band, so it remains much brighter then sky where clouds are rendering.

chingwa likes this.
  38. markefus

markefus

Hi! Just purchased TENKOKU. So far it's great, but I'm having issues.

Is there any way I can keep the default Unity render fog?
    I make heavy use of it in my game, it's absolutely essential.
    I'm not going for realism, and I want to maintain the same visual style.
    Can I turn the TENKOKU fog off?

Another thing, is there a way to set a 'preset' sky style that you can save, similar to SUMINO? I am using that as well.

I'm also having one of the image effects interfere with the way my own particles look. There is a 'bleed over time' of my particles, which is very disorienting. When I turn off 'fxAuroroa' it stops, but that also breaks TENKOKU.

Thanks!!

39. chingwa

chingwa

Hi markefus, thanks so much for your purchase! You can turn off the tenkoku fog by going to Tenkoku DynamicSky-->Sky Sphere-->Fog Sphere and turning off this object's "renderer" component.

However, Tenkoku does take over the scene fog, you're right... let me review this a bit as I think this is a holdover from one of the beta versions. I'll see about turning this off, and send you an update.

Unfortunately, there isn't currently a preset system with Tenkoku. You can setup all the settings as you like before pressing play... or... you can take a look at accessing the individual variables through code, as noted here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tenkoku-dynamic-sky.253589/page-5#post-2076986

Instead of turning off the fxAurora object, try going to the Tenkoku settings under "celestial settings" and turn off the auroras there? Also, can you send me a screenshot of what this problem looks like on your end, and what image fx you think is causing this?

40. MS80

MS80

Hey chingwa! Would really like to see a interactive demo of tenkoku. Is there anything available?

I have a few other questions:

- all those cool features of the beta made it to the final release? Those fantastic images on page 1,4 and 5 (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tenkoku-dynamic-sky.253589/page-5#post-2076986) could be created with the final release? I heard those nice clouds dropped because performance issues?

- will tenkoku work in editor mode, too (no black out)

- does tenkoku work together with horizon(ON), maybe you or your customers could share some experience?

- do you see any problems with tenkoku fog and advanced foliage shaders 4.0?

Thanks in advance!

41. markefus

markefus

Here are two images describing the problem.

The first is what the particles are 'supposed' to look like.
    The second is the particle bleed effect I mentioned.

Commenting out the LateUpdate code in ParticleAuroraHandler.js actually fixes the problem; so it's somewhere in there. Turning off the aurora in celestial settings does not fix it for me.

And yea, keeping the default Unity fog is essential. I can't use TENKOKU without this feature :(
    Is there any way I can do this manually before waiting for an update?

glitch1.png glitch2.png

42. chingwa

chingwa

@markefus I just sent you an update via email :) I'll take a look at the aurora rendering and try and see why they would be interfering with your other scene particles.

43. chingwa

chingwa

@MS80 I'm currently working on a demo, It should be ready pretty soon, but I can't say yet exactly when yet.

With the exception of the original clouds shown on pg1-4, I believe all the features I talked about in the original thread have been implemented. The final implemented clouds are as shown in the video.

The lighting does now work in editor mode, though I'm still trying to work out how to actually show the sky in editor mode (not sure if this is possible actually, but still experimenting). I haven't used Horizon(ON) or the AFS myself, so I can't make a definite comment. I did have some feedback during beta about AFS and that they worked better than the normal built-in unity tree shaders... but again this may be anecdotal. If you want to send me some scene elements/shaders I could test them for you before you consider purchasing Tenkoku...

44. mwituni

mwituni

45. mwituni

mwituni

Also, are there any plans to get more volumetric clouds back in? ... like those in the initial posts. I know they were expensive which no-one wants (well - perhaps some do - as long as its a completely separate option), but just wondering if you're thinking of anything to replace them, as the current clouds lack volume.

46. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to show off what i have been doing with this. Had an issue, created a demo project, and Justin got back to me over night with a fix - there are still a few rough edges which i don't expect will take him long to smooth out, but imho this is the best weather and light asset on the asset store. Double thumbs of for responsiveness with a fix as well!

Cheers,
    Adam.

Attached Files:

ZenMicro, Dreamaster, chingwa and 3 others like this.
  47. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Chinwa, will the set camera at realtime functionality make it into the next update? I could use this feature.
    Also...+1 for C# :)

48. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

+1 on c# as well - don't know why anyone would code in javascript when you have the power of c# available :)

49. chingwa

chingwa

@mwituni I don't know how they do their reflections in that water asset, but I assume it would generally be compatible, yes. I'll probably not be going back to the original clouds, however I would like to improve and add to the existing cloud system. It does have a volumetric effect when viewed from below, though certainly not like the original method.

@AdamGoodrich Beautiful scene, thanks for posting!

@jc_lvngstn Yes, it will definitely be working in the next update :)

Noted! :D

50. chingwa

chingwa

:D 'Cause I was sold a bucket-o- lies by Unity when I first started this whole mess... that the programming language didn't matter, "look you can pick from 3 different languages!"

It's like asking your friend if you need to wear a tie to dinner, and they say "nah wear whatever you want" then you show up to dinner and everyone has ties and look at you like you're a street urchin for not wearing a tie. Then you ask your friends (who are now suddenly all wearing ties) why they didn't tell you to wear a tie and they say "well it should have been obvious that you needed a tie"... (mumble grumble grumb)

Looks like I'll have to buy a tie.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015