Search Unity

Temporal Anti Aliasing

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SuperShaderBros, Mar 20, 2015.

1. SuperShaderBros

SuperShaderBros

Hi everyone!
    We are developing a temporal anti aliasing solution, and we love to get your feedback on the topic.
    Unity's best available AA solution is FXAA which is a little dated and provides no improvement on subpixel aliasing caused by movement.
    In the web player demo you can compare our Temporal AA with Unity FXAA3 and no AA. No dynamic objects are present in the scene as of now, because motion vector implementation is not finished yet.

Here is a comparison screenshot. Left side is no aa and right side is our temporal AA solution. (Do not forget to look in native resolution)

Our TODO list is as follows:
    -Finishing motion vector calculations
    -Detailed performance analysis
    -Mobile support and tests

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to share. Thank you all.

Edit: dx9 and opengl fixed, demo re-uploaded

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. carking1996

carking1996

3. LilWiebe

LilWiebe

Hmm. Demo strobes black and white on a 13 inch 2012 Macbook Pro with Intel HD 4000 graphics. Is this Direct X only?

4. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

The webplayer is not working on my Macbook Air 2010 either. Graphics chip: Nvidia GeForce 320M.

5. SuperShaderBros

SuperShaderBros

Sorry for that guys. We found the cause of the problem. We will fix it tomorrow and re-upload the demo. Thank you for your feedback.

6. Zomby138

Zomby138

That looks absolutely brilliant. I can't believe how well it sorts out those metal steps in the background. Really looking forward to getting my hands on this!

7. Mister-D

Mister-D

really neat antialliasing , looks like the pal/ntsc filtering in cinema4d great job!

8. tynew

tynew

This looks great, will buy it asap!

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

Superb, what is the release date estimation ?

10. jcarpay

jcarpay

Awesome!

11. SuperShaderBros

SuperShaderBros

The issues should be fixed now, we tested on a 2012 macbook pro. You can reach the demo from here, also we updated the link above.

We are planning to release final version in a month, if everything goes smoothly. Most of the time will be spent on ease of integration and testing

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks, looking forward to it, the result looks super smooth

13. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Working great on Mac now.:)
    By the way, how is the performance compare TAA to unity FXAA?

14. SuperShaderBros

SuperShaderBros

The code is not optimized yet so we cannot say anything certain about that. Right now, it is a little bit slower than fxaa. We will share exact timings after optimizing.
    Also motion vector calculations will induce some draw call overheads which scales with dynamic object count. But these motion vectors can also be used for object motion blur which compliments TAA very well and we plan to implement that after TAA.

15. Cynicat

Cynicat

this looks awesome! I'm going to warn you however that unity are working on there own form of txaa. don't know how long it will take for them to get it done though. on the upside unity is getting a built-in velocity buffer later! keep working on the awesome stuff though =3.

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There's no guarantee Unity will come up with anything at any point though. Unity is a company staffed by fairies and gnomes which populate a wondrous underworld filled with lights and music, with golden tunnels and vast underground cities, where taps dispense magic.

The downside of this is that they can't really guarantee something by x date.

17. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

will buy asap, unless Unity does something first, but it's already on my to-buy-list :D

18. unityTesting

unityTesting

It's an instant buy when it's released. Good work!

19. MylesLambert

MylesLambert

I really love what this is doing to geometry aliasing - works really well!
    But I'm suprised nobody else has mentioned - it's blurring the textures far too much! You're loosing a lot of smaller details. I'm not too sure if it's caused by a sort of 'motion blur'?

20. Cynicat

Cynicat

its a problem with txaa. kinda part of the technique sadly. between frames you pick up sub-pixel information. the way to fix this is to say that if a pixel has not changed trust the pixel value rather than sampling a bunch more from previous frames. downside is it will restore texture aliasing which is really common with PBR(can have really bright specular highlights that alias really bad). either way its an effect that will happen with TXAA in most cases. unreal for example has this problem still.

21. zelmund

zelmund

very nice. for some solutions it will need asap.
    yes, its bluring textures a bit. play assasins creed unity for full test different modes AA. better to use txaa in there, because game almost every time in motion and there is no time to see textures, but AA roofs and ships and stairs and... much more other.

22. Zeblote

Zeblote

Would really like to see a second (standalone) demo with the new Unity Labs!
    ( https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/33835 )

Currently it looks absolutely terrible with FXAA and flickering edges and I'm wondering whether this method can fix it.

Basically, just grab the demo from the asset store, add the temporal AA and some way to toggle it, no other modifications. So we can make a side by side comparison. :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  23. arumiat

arumiat

Will this work within webGL? Keep up the awesome work

24. Zeblote

Zeblote

> 3 weeks since OP's last post here :(

25. Zeblote

Zeblote

Guess it's dead

26. DennG

DennG

Well, that's sad...

27. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

28. SuperShaderBros

SuperShaderBros

Hi guys, it is not dead but it is going slow because we have been busy with our academic studies. We are inspecting Unity Labs scene with our TAA, trying to fix some bugs and improve the quality. As soon as we are satisfied with the result, we will share a new demo.

shopguy, Zomby138, blueivy and 6 others like this.
  29. andmm

andmm

This does look impressive.

Looking forward to this :)

TechnicalArtist likes this.
  30. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

any chance to beta?

loisharris likes this.
  31. Rycons

Rycons

How is development going? Really looking forward for TAA

32. andmm

andmm

Yeah, any developments on this?

33. SuperShaderBros

SuperShaderBros

Hi again,
    We added the current state of our algorithm to Unity Labs scene. You can check interactive photo comparison and you can download the standalone build(Windows only) for further testing. In standalone build you can change the AA mode with f1-f2-f3 keys.
    Any feedback is appreciated.

34. Zeblote

Zeblote

It looks amazing when standing still, however it doesn't when moving:

Rycons and theANMATOR2b like this.
  35. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

It looks... Blurry, to be honest. FXAA was already quite blurry but your TAA implementation loses even more details (and yet the textures in this scene are quite smooth to begin with, I can't imagine how this will look on detailed textures), even on stills (cf. the hair, ground, walls on your interactive photo comparison, it's even worse in the distance). I'll take a wild guess and say that something's wrong with your temporal reprojection pass.

36. CorvaenOboros

CorvaenOboros

looking good ! we are definitely interested in implementing this in our project! we'll be keeping an eye out for when released on the asset store.

37. Zomby138

Zomby138

I'm really impressed by how it looks :)

38. KarelA

KarelA

Hi SuperShaderBros. Do you have any ETA when this plugin will be released? Would gladly buy it now and be a beta tester for this. I think that this could be a must have AA solution for every VR developer who is working with PBR.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  39. s0w4

s0w4

Please! Release! I'm already satisfied with the demo.

Rycons likes this.
  40. DeYuang

DeYuang

Your TAA solution looks quite good, especially with downsampling (because it IS a bit blurry). Too bad the standalone project is TERRIBLY unoptimized. Even without the AA it ticks in at around 35 fps, while my own (Unity 5) game clocks in well over 100 FPS, while controlling ~50 pathfinding agents and having real-time Ambient Occlusion enabled. It does appear that the AA is quite fast though, barely taking off 3 fps even on high resolutions, but you know, can't be too sure with framerates this low.

On another note: I recall some time ago, when a studio was showing off their HBAO shader. At the time -at least to my knowledge- Nvidea wasn't offering anything on their own. I would've paid good money for their implementation, but for some reason they never sold it. Now, Nvidea is offering it for *free*, shutting down that studio's chance to ever make money with their shader. Morale of the story: these kind of effects have a limited shelf-life. If you do intent on making money with this, please do so before someone else steals your thunder.

41. andre-ivankio

andre-ivankio

I'm guessing it could be the thing missing for VR on Unity. Aliasing is so headache inducing, and it would be great to have stable edges, specially those speculars. I'll second:
    Don't mind the nagging. People don't know how to compromise and be less subjective. Although not perfect, the stability+those artifacts look better than sharp+eventual aliasing.

42. Rycons

Rycons

Hi SuperShaderbros, Is this TXAA still being developed?

43. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

This is so frustrating. TXAA is so close yet so far away.

44. Bdelcast

Bdelcast

That demo looks quite good already :eek:. I would love to receive updates on how this is coming along. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Great work.

45. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Any news/updates? We do want TXAA in our projects !

46. MegsTan

MegsTan

Any updates?

47. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This *is* WIP not asset forum guys.

48. Zeblote

Zeblote

However, not posting for 3 months usually means the project is dead.

49. MegsTan

MegsTan

Dead? oh no. Is there any asset in the store where we can find TAA? This is really needed in Unity 5 feature

50. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

For what it's worth I quite like the non existent performance hit of FXAA and it's pretty hard to see jaggies when you've loaded it up with post fx anyway.