Search Unity

Tell me this is real and realtime

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaiyum, Mar 15, 2016.

1. kaiyum

kaiyum

Clockworkelements and frosted like this.
  2. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

All I can say is...

...short film*

Looks nice though. Will wait on other users to see if there is a general consensus that unity has found its "unreal tour of paris"-esque demonstration.

kaiyum likes this.
  3. Frpmta

Frpmta

Well, it is realtime in a sense and not realtime in another.
    It is a cinematic running in-engine so it is realtime in the sense that it is being processed in realtime the same way as Unity Blacksmith and not pre-rendered CGI.
    On the other hand, it is a cinematic, and cinematics are not realtime gameplay which posesses things such as physics performance, animations performance, special effects performance, AI, etc.
    And the tool they used 'CaronteFX' is says it is for off-line rendering during cinematics in the Asset Store. A heavy physics animation baking tool.

kaiyum, Ryiah and Deleted User like this.
  4. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

You guys missed the unity special event? :p

Not_Sure and kaiyum like this.
  5. elbows

elbows

And another aspect would be 'realtime on what hardware exactly?'

Anyway there is a fair bit more info about the demo on this page, and we will no doubt learn more come Unite Europe.

http://unity3d.com/pages/adam

Personally its the volumetric fog I've been salivating over since I first saw the technique demoed a couple of years ago-ish and then slowly pop up in some games and engines. I've had hope that some implementation of it for Unity was coming ever since the graphics programmer Robert Cupisz who works for Unity made a post about volumetric fog on his site last May, and indeed he is the listed graphics programmer for the adam demo.

http://robert.cupisz.eu/post/119949491421/volumetricfog

radimoto and kaiyum like this.
  6. sqallpl

sqallpl

7. elbows

elbows

Indeed. I also spoke to him on twitter today and once in the past. Plus the adam page on the unity website says this:

8. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Did you not catch the ubisoft vr demo about an eagle flying through paris?

9. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Wow. That video is fantastic. Congratulation Unity.

kaiyum likes this.
  10. G-Mika

G-Mika

They probably did render the video at a higher resolution and downscaled to 1080p to remove the aliasing. It's an old trick commonly used in game trailers and such. I doubt it's temporal AA, the in-editor demo at the conference had at lot of aliasing.

kaiyum and AcidArrow like this.
  11. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

For me the thing that plays biggest role in that UE4ish look is the volumetric fog, and the area lights that work with the volumetric fog. This is not to say it's the most important feature, all features are important, but it's that thing that UE4 has out the box and Unity doesn't.

The reflection of character on walls at 1:50 is just sublime. Anyone knows what kind of material might that be?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Well it's ubisoft so by the time that demo reaches production it'll have an 800% drop in quality.

13. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

I'll believe it when it's in the asset store and I can download and run it here.

kaiyum and Deleted User like this.
  14. cyberpunk

cyberpunk

Unbelievable.

15. Blacklight

Blacklight

That's only if Uplay will let you run the damn thing in the first place.

16. kaiyum

kaiyum

frosted likes this.
  17. kaiyum

kaiyum

I guess so. Enlighten us with the speciality ;):p

18. kaiyum

kaiyum

Super sampling, right? Ya its cool indeed. :)

19. kaiyum

kaiyum

Exactly, that is what I have been waiting for. Then we would have a clear idea.

20. Ostwind

Ostwind

I don't think it will be fully available if it says it makes extensive use of a paid extension and some additional assets are from Quixel.

21. zenGarden

zenGarden

Will the demo be available to download and test ?
    (Like Epic did with Kite demo or Infiltrator)

22. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It'll be the same scenario as the blacksmith. People complained when they got it that it didn't look like the demo. Probably because of the pulled assets.

23. LaneFox

LaneFox

People complain about anything. A lot of people see the Asset Store as a downside but when you're actually trying to get something done you don't have as much hesitation to spend some money on some asset that does what you want. There's a lot of experimental stuff in there too like RTAL, Post FX Suite, scene view post, Director, etc..

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  24. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Come by the booth if you are at GDC. We'll have it on the PC's there. It runs without aliasing and we are not using super sampling.

25. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

My concern about using it would be that the feature might eventually make its way into the engine so I'd rather not own a product that would be deprecated in a few releases. If I were part of a company then I'm sure that would be different.

26. LaneFox

LaneFox

As an individual, sure. As a company that waiting is a waste of time, you've got goals and a time budget and a clean $90 physics tool that can easily give you ropes, hoses and cloth physics you need for some project is a good choice.

Ryiah and Tomnnn like this.
  27. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

As a company you're making money, so you can justify the expense. All by myself... I can't justify spending a penny since I've not made that much :p

And I probably never will since I'm 100% moving into VR development in late april so my target audience will be people who are VR enthusiasts and care about gameplay over graphics. Basically, people from the zork days who love games for their mechanics and just want a more involved way to interact with them.

My balance will forever be zero. Besides maybe selling modules to people who need assets for VR stuff.

28. zenGarden

zenGarden

So you will be making VR games for real ? :D

Tomnnn likes this.
  29. dterbeest

dterbeest

around 21 minutes in

30. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Looks great. I couldn't see any little flickery aliasing stuff or really any other obvious signs of fakery. All the animation seemed realistic. Seems like the story has something to do with humans getting transplanted into robot bodies, or something.

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's the beauty of temporal AA, I did see some aliasing in the tunnel but apart from that as TAA always is.. It was smooth as silk..

32. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Yes. Might do Vive since it's only $200 more than oculus even though I am going to be using sixense for my controllers. I won't have any use for steam's controllers, but I might find a use for the cameras. Then again, if the Vive is using the camera for tracking (me no like) then I'll go with oculus.

33. zenGarden

zenGarden

We'll get TAA in Unity.

34. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

;)

radimoto, kB11 and hippocoder like this.
  35. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's been available for ages, via github.. Not finished yet though.

36. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

??

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh the one in the package is subpixel morphological, not temporal (sorry :D).. So is it temporal in the the Adam vid?

38. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

;):cool:

AcidArrow, macdude2, kB11 and 2 others like this.
  39. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

The story reminded me of the "Uncanny Valley" short film.

If you haven't seen it, it's worth watching:

Martin_H, fffMalzbier, kB11 and 3 others like this.
  40. Billy4184

Billy4184

Looks really great! For starters I liked the idea of the movie itself, and the physics was spectacular. There are some places where I saw things that could be improved, but if UT keep going down this road they will soon be well ahead of the pack in terms of all the things I'm looking for at least.

41. goat

goat

I felt the animation was a bit off once outside on a couple of character but I think it was intentional. I really liked the movie from an entertainment perspective.

42. goat

goat

Hmmm, is that the creepy uncanny valley effect movie they keep talking about? Although it's much better technically than the talk about it would have you believe.

43. sonofbryce

sonofbryce

How are they doing all of the animation? Characters, camera, shots, scene switching etc. In Unity or imported from Maya or something?

44. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

We find out @ Unite.

45. sonofbryce

sonofbryce

Saw another realtime Unity demo.

And a bit of the behind the scenes...

They're developing a tool, not clear as to whether it'll be released publically though.

46. goat

goat

Those are very good.

47. McMayhem

McMayhem

Wow... I got a strong "Neo waking up in the power plant" vibe watching that video. I can tell somebody really likes The Matrix.

Very stunning display of Unity's features. I must say the physics alone were incredible.

Manny Calavera likes this.
  48. 00christian00

00christian00

So, it seem like Unity next big business is going to be animation. It will allow animation companies to save lots of money if they are smart to change their workflow. It's not going to be for Pixar, but would be perfect for cartoon for the TV.

49. zenGarden

zenGarden

It is not real time, they use Unity for CG shots, this is what Unreal 4 can do already with Matinee.
    Seeing the the high density polygon characters and environment i doubt you'll get a game running fast and smooth.
    Anyway this is a good news to see Unity able to be used for Pixar like animation.

50. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Not really. It's more about new opportunities rather than changing existing ones. It's CGI they are talking about, not animation. The "animation" part is still pretty much all done in things like maya. A tv show, for example, adding unity to the mix isn't going to be cheaper or faster. (The exact opposite, actually). But for vr, or games, or presentations or anything where some or many parts are dynamic, it would be very useful.